Thursday, July 27, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Thursday, July 27, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: There was only one (small) positive to Shadi's last DD wager - she actually put Justin in Stratton's Dilemma with that right answer she got.
Of all Justin's lacky 4000/5000 wagers, this one was the most glaring, even if it turned out moot that he didn't wager 9601 to cover 3rd place.
If he wasn't willing to go the extra mile to cover Shadi, he needn't wager any more than 400 plus a Lincoln or Hamilton to put him over a zero bet from Ryan and out fox Shadi if she bets 601.

Lach Trash: Chicago, Lovin' Spoonful
Instaget on Hopkins
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

I was confused by the sequence of events on the Burnside question -- I would have expected Alex to wait for the judges rather than revealing anything, and then allow for a rebound. Was something edited out, maybe?
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

It was only thanks to TD 349 tha tI knew the question about Violet.

Justing put an "s" on the end of "Ebert," why wasn't he negged but Ryan was for his?

I have to ask, was Shadi watching his games and knew that he'd bet $4,000? If so, bravo to her for dethroning the king by knowing his weakness.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

flutist319 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:10 pm I was confused by the sequence of events on the Burnside question -- I would have expected Alex to wait for the judges rather than revealing anything, and then allow for a rebound. Was something edited out, maybe?
Yes, I'm almost positive there was an edit. Presumably, Alex accepted it saying something like "yes, Burnside," and then threw to commercial, whereupon the producers listened to the audio, realized "Burnsides" had been said, and had to work something out.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Wheatley wrote: I have to ask, was Shadi watching his games and knew that he'd bet $4,000? If so, bravo to her for dethroning the king by knowing his weakness.
I doubt that to be so. If she was wise to his betting habit, I think she would have wagered something more than $4,200; or 0 to 601ish.

It will be interesting to see how she wagers FJ against different opponents.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

acthomas wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:02 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:50 pm My brain got stuck on Michael Douglas even though I knew it was wrong (not a Brit, to begin with), and refused to move on to anything useful.
I wish we were living in President Andrew Shepherd's world too.
Ha, yep, it does say real-life Presidents, so it's wrong on many levels at once. :lol:
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

Flags (4), Pennants (5), Jolly Roger (5), "STAR" "STRIPE" (3), Try Color 2), Union, Jack (5)
Literary (1), 14-Letter Words (3), Botany (2), Bridge (5), Rock (2), Library (3)

Lach Trash: Virginia, mayflower, overpopulation; Daily Double: Articles of Confederation

I answered Anthony Hopkins right away by thinking of Nixon, then it took me about 10 more seconds to remember Amistad.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I hate to see contestants rewarded after useless DD wagering. Not going for the lead? Bet $5. And the preponderance of I-don't-want-to-think-about-this $2000 DD bets! Seriously, seems like well over half of DJ DD bets are $2000.

The contestants are 2/12 on FJ this week, with 3 TS in a row. Seems like FJ writers may indeed have stepped up the game a little late this season.

I knew someone would have Daniel Day-Lewis for FJ. I thought of him first, knew it was wrong, and got to Hopkins within a few seconds. Surprised to see all three with that answer, though.

I agree the Burnside sequence was odd. Maybe they couldn't decide on the tape, so they baited the trap. That's what it felt like watching it.
BKavett
Contributor

Post by BKavett »

Knew it was Hopkins immediately.

I re-watched the "Burnside" answer several times and only heard it pronounced singular. I did not hear a final S at all.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

badgerfellow wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:43 pm Re DD3 wager: Shadi had some choices that made this an interesting wager. If she wanted to go for the lead, she should wager at least $2,601, but no more than $2800 in case she gets it wrong and falls below half of Justin's $10000, where Justin could wager 0 to win on a Triple Stumper. Her other option (and this might be bonkers to even consider) was to wager between $5 and $1,134 to kick in the "legitimate choice of strategy" for Justin. Were she to get a wrong response and have wagered more than that, the FJ wager for Justin would be an easier decision, and the game would likely go his way.

In a nutshell, I get the idea of why she didn't want to wager too much. Perhaps not an ideal wager, but I get the idea of it, especially in an under the lights situation.
At first glance, it was a difficult situation with many variables. In an unknown category there are probably very few terrific and/or terrible wagers. But, given the ease of the entire category plus the fact she had already answered the 3rd and 4th row clue, even though it's a bottom row clue it's too good an opportunity to pass up. You have to go for the lead, the only question is by how much.

But, as usual, the contestant had not considered a situation such as this beforehand, and naturally wagered some round number. It'll be interesting to see what she does with wagering opportunities tomorrow. Hell, it can't get any worse than what we've seen so far this week can it?
Last edited by Golf on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I knew it was Hopkins immediately, but it took me probably ten seconds to remember his name. Sort of surprised they all went with Day-Lewis.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I passed over DDL briefly but I enjoyed Nixon & Amistad so that helped. Too bad Justin couldn't continue into next season.
ojg717
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by ojg717 »

Unusual for Alex to ask a contestant himself if they mispronounced a response, typically he immediately defers to the judges, true? Didn't he prevent the other contestants from being able to ring in there?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

trainman wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 pm
flutist319 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:10 pm I was confused by the sequence of events on the Burnside question -- I would have expected Alex to wait for the judges rather than revealing anything, and then allow for a rebound. Was something edited out, maybe?
Yes, I'm almost positive there was an edit. Presumably, Alex accepted it saying something like "yes, Burnside," and then threw to commercial, whereupon the producers listened to the audio, realized "Burnsides" had been said, and had to work something out.
Wouldn't it just have been easier for them to go the normal route of explaining the judge's ruling post-break?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

The Talking Mime wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:04 pm It seems like we're having a lot of Oscar-related FJ clues in the past month or so. Just an observation, I'm not at all complaining. Instaget for me.
As long as they're getting them out of the way now! ;)

(But why oh why couldn't they save the flag *round* for my show(s)?)

Oh and did anyone else get a Keanu Reeves vibe from Ryan?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

Wheatley wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:13 pm It was only thanks to TD 349 that I knew the question about Violet.

Glad to help! :lol:
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

When I saw what the FJ category was, I was like "I finally have a chance to get one right this week!".

But I didn't.

Unlike the players, I knew Daniel Day Lewis couldn't be right answer since of course Lincoln was just a few years ago.

I had no guess.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

JayK33 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:16 am When I saw what the FJ category was, I was like "I finally have a chance to get one right this week!".

But I didn't.

Unlike the players, I knew Daniel Day Lewis couldn't be right answer since of course Lincoln was just a few years ago.

I had no guess.
Same (except I did get Monday's). After the last couple Oscars FJs, I always said something like, "The Oscars are one of my worst categories, but I got this one!" so at least I'm back to normal.

I spent the entire think music trying to think of anyone it could possibly be. I finally thought of Hopkins about one second before Alex said it. He just didn't occur to me until then. Maybe if the clue had said "Welsh"...
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Wagering for the lead from the last daily double is not always that important.

She had 7,800 and her opponents had 10,000 and 10,400. It was the last clue played before final jeopardy.

Having first place when both competitors are within 2/3 is not a strong position. It's not that important to be in first place going into FJ if both your competitors are close. If your chance of being in the lead risks takes you out of the running altogether then you should not wager for the lead. Your overall chances are better if you bet small.

Any wager which puts her under 5,000 is a bad wager. If she can't cover second place then it means second place can bet 0 and win if first place makes the standard wager. She should bet no more than 2800.

A 2000 wager is just fine. I think a wager of 2600 would have been ideal.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Really nice run for the departing champ. That said, it's still hard to believe he can't figure out how to wager in FJ in such a way as to lock out the guy(s) in a position to overtake him. The rest of his game is strong, no doubt. It would be a shame to see that gaping hole in his game cost him a chance to advance in the ToC, but if he keeps putting himself in that terrible position I figure it's going to happen.