SHC 2017--Introduction, rules, and wildcard eligibility

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

SHC 2017--Introduction, rules, and wildcard eligibility

Post by rjaguar3 »

Welcome to the 13th edition of the Summer Hiatus Challenge! Once again, I'd like to thank DadOfTwins for being the original devisor and host of this for everyone. I hope to do even half of as good of a job as he did.

Anyway, on to the rules (Stolen almost verbatim from the 2016 rules.)

Format
Each day, there will be two categories of Jeopardy-style clues posted. A round consists of six days, Monday through Saturday (though the Saturday clues will be posted on Friday so you can get to them early if you have a busy weekend). The highest total score earned by a player not already eligible for the TOC wins the round and advances to the Tournament of Champions.

Time Limits
You should post responses within 48 hours of the initial posting of that day's clues. The week will officially close for Weekly Winner purposes Sunday at 11:59 PM PDT after Day 6 is posted. Missed days can be made up later for total points purposes provided the player has not already seen the clues and correct responses. If you wrote a category used during regular play, you will receive full points. No writer will be used more than once per round or four times total.

Scoring
Correct answers will be worth the stated point value of the clue (2-4-6-8-10 for the first category, 3-6-9-12-15 for the second category). Incorrect answers will be penalized based on the clue's position in the category ((-1, -2, -3, -4, -5) in both categories). Clues left unanswered (Clams) are worth 0.

Response Format
You do not need to phrase responses in the form of a question.

Acceptable Responses
SHC policy is "We want to give you points." Give us a good reason we can justify, and you get points. Get close enough on spelling to convince us you know what you're talking about (the Vilnuis Rule). Re: first & last names/leading articles/country names & former names/etc., give us enough information so that we know you know what's going on in the clue. That said, we want to give you points, but we need to know for sure that you are claiming them. So answers judged to be "equivocating" will be scored as clams. Basically, show us in your response that if you were on The Show and faced with the text of the clue, you would have hit your buzzer. If your equivocation is based on a flaw in the clue itself, please explain in the Instant Replay thread. Your comments will contribute to the consideration of whether the clue needs to be replaced.

Instant Replay Thread
Every week there will be a thread dedicated to discussing that week's clues. This includes potential flaws in the clues, but also general clue-related chit-chat. Trash-talking is encouraged. But be careful, the thread is full of spoilers so do not look at it if that day's clues have been posted and you have not yet responded.

Replacement Clues
If you give an response we don't anticipate, feel free to make your case in the "Instant Replay" thread. We will review any responses ruled incorrect to make sure they are actually, objectively wrong. If there is a fatal flaw with a clue (which may include going unanswered by the entire field), a replacement clue will be offered to players who miss out on the points in the defective clue. What constitutes a "fatal flaw" is up to us to decide case-by-case, with the help of players and judges who weigh in during the "Instant Replay."

Unless otherwise specified, the following rules apply to replacement clues:
  • If you gave the correct answer to the original clue, you keep the points, and you don't have to play the replacement clue (any response you give will be disregarded).
  • Otherwise, you don't lose any points on the original clue (even if you got it wrong), and you can play the replacement clue. The normal scoring rules apply to the replacement clue (including penalties for wrong answers).
Tournament of Champions
Each week's winner advances to the Tournament of Champions, scheduled for the first week of the Jeopardy TV season. Also automatically advancing are past SHC Champions (TomKBaltimoreBoy, schliemann, OldSchoolChamp, DJDaveMick, lemonsun, and cbec) and Wild Card winners. The winner of the Tournament of Champions wins the SHC and receives a lifetime exemption into future SHC TOC's.

TOC Wild Cards
Wild card entries to the Tournament of Champions are based on total points earned during the SHC. One wild card is available for the highest-scoring player in each of the following categories not already in the TOC. Eligibility is determined as of the start of the SHC, July 31, 2017.
  • Kids/Teens (under age 18 and not holding a high school diploma)
  • College (under age 23 and not holding a bachelor's degree)
  • About-to-be Jeopardy! champion (has never appeared on the regular Show)
  • Rookie (played fewer than 6 total SHC days in previous SHCs)
  • Senior (age 55 or older)
In addition, three wild cards will be awarded to the highest-scoring players not already in the TOC.

Players should indicate ALL of the wild card categories for which they are eligible. Players eligible for the Kids/Teens wild card are automatically eligible for the College wild card and should therefore indicate both.

Critical Mass Rule -- In order to justify awarding a wild card, at least 5 players must compete for it for at least 30 SHC game days. If a wild card competition fails to reach critical mass, that category will be dropped and an additional wild card will be awarded based on Total Points. Exception: if the Kids/Teens wild card does not meet the critical mass rule, there will be no Kids/Teens wild card, nor will an additional wild card be awarded.

We are also open to suggestions for other wild card categories.

Cheating
DON'T.
Just don't. The only permissible resource is your own noggin. No google, no asking friends, no collaborating with other players. Players caught cheating will be removed from the game and, if past precedent is any indication, shamed and ostracized by the community. Since the only prizes are your personal pride and the respect of your peers, cheating definitely costs you the latter and we have a hard time imagining you garnering much of the former. So don't.

Paucle Memorial Award for Outstanding Writing
Paucle wrote many great categories over the years. In his memory, I'm continuing this award for the third season. At the end of the season there will be a series of polls to select the favorite user-submitted category. The ultimate winner will claim the Paucle Memorial Award for Outstanding Writing.

If we are missing something, post it below. We'll include posting instructions in the first game thread.

If you wish to declare eligibility for a Wild Card, please do so in this thread.

The SHC 2017 team is being run by myself, rjaguar3. Clues written by an SHC player will be credited to that player. Any unmarked clue/category is written by myself.

SHC 2017 starts this Monday, July 31. We'll see you then. Good luck and have fun.
Last edited by rjaguar3 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
sarisson

Re: SHC 2017--Introduction, rules, and wildcard eligibility

Post by sarisson »

I'll never make the TOC (at least not in this), but I'm ATB. Looking forward to my third year in the SHC.
Hoping for a third lap
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

ATB for me.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

As ever, ATB for me. Also senior.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Looks like I'm about to be an ATB yet again... :|
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

ATB... again.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Atb and hoping that changes by next year
Total game show career losings = $171,522
clprez

Post by clprez »

I'm ATB and Senior.
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

ATB and Senior.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

ATB and a rookie
mujason

Post by mujason »

ATB for me.
-Jason
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Just ATB for me.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

ATB and Rookie
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
The Word Picture
Contributor

Post by The Word Picture »

ATB.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Once more unto the ATB
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

still an ATB
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

ATB, assuming Sports Jeopardy! isn't a disqualifier.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

ATB.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Rookie here. And an ATB.
Clue Jungry
Loyal Jeopardista