Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 2 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 2 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by sillymonkey »

Magna wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:07 pm The 8-pointer in heteronyms is confusingly phrased, I think: "As an adjective, to be false or unsound; as a noun, to be incapacitated". Although one meaning is an adjective and one is a noun, both definitions are verbs. With the adjective definition, people might guess that the "to be" is extraneous, but it's a bit harder with the noun definition - what noun means "to be incapacitated"? I think it was supposed to say "As an adjective, false or unsound; as a noun, one who is incapacitated". If that's it, I think the intended answer is
Spoiler
invalid
But just in case, a RQ might be in order.
I had to give up on this one, because I was so hung up on how "to be ..." could define a noun. I wish I'd been flexible and translated it to "one who is..." as Magna shows. That should have been possible to do on one's own.
However, I don't think it's a bad clue. The answer seems obvious now.
Anyway, it's too bad I had to clam this one, because R2D1 was probably my one and only chance for a perfect day...
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

In the calendar category, I thought every response had to be a month. Therefore I Beat ShaCLAM. D'oh!
Hoping for a third lap
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Welp, I'm probably gonna be the only person who's NHO January Jones but has an instaget for Susan Sontag.
ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

Looks like I'm the only one(so far) to answer Watt on the 4 pointer. I have always had an almost Pavlovian association with Watt to the steamboat, and now with further research I can see that thinking is flawed. I had never heard of Fulton until now.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

ChexMix wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:39 am Looks like I'm the only one(so far) to answer Watt on the 4 pointer. I have always had an almost Pavlovian association with Watt to the steamboat, and now with further research I can see that thinking is flawed. I had never heard of Fulton until now.
I knew it was an F-name, and that it went with the phrase "(This Guy)'s Folly," but was stuck on similar-sounding names that weren't it. I kept coming up with stuff like Folsom (STOP IT, BRAIN, THAT'S GROVER CLEVELAND'S WIFE). :lol:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Foretopman wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:28 am You win some, you lose some. On day two, I ran "Inventions & Discoveries" while clamming on 4 of 5 in "Calendar Women". Ouch.
Yup, and some depends on social awareness. I only got two of the Calendar Women. Should probably have gotten Sontag, but both Avril Levigne and "Beat Shazzam" hit me squarely in my black hole concerning pop culture.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

sillymonkey wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:59 am
Magna wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:07 pm The 8-pointer in heteronyms is confusingly phrased, I think: "As an adjective, to be false or unsound; as a noun, to be incapacitated". Although one meaning is an adjective and one is a noun, both definitions are verbs. With the adjective definition, people might guess that the "to be" is extraneous, but it's a bit harder with the noun definition - what noun means "to be incapacitated"? I think it was supposed to say "As an adjective, false or unsound; as a noun, one who is incapacitated". If that's it, I think the intended answer is
Spoiler
invalid
But just in case, a RQ might be in order.
I had to give up on this one, because I was so hung up on how "to be ..." could define a noun. I wish I'd been flexible and translated it to "one who is..." as Magna shows. That should have been possible to do on one's own.
However, I don't think it's a bad clue. The answer seems obvious now.
Anyway, it's too bad I had to clam this one, because R2D1 was probably my one and only chance for a perfect day...
That one was an instaget for me, as I remembered the FJ from this game:

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ht=invalid

That aside, I think the clue, while it could have been better worded, was fine.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

What does Susan Sontag have to do with calendars?

The other clues involved women named January, October, June, and Avril. I don't understand Susan's place in that pattern.

I was pretty sure the elevator answer was "Otis" but I also knew that "Otis Redding" was a person's name but had no idea who. I talked myself out of Otis because a first name only wouldn't be accepted. At least now I'll be prepared if "Elisha Otis Redding" ever shows up in a Before & After category.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:37 pm What does Susan Sontag have to do with calendars?

The other clues involved women named January, October, June, and Avril. I don't understand Susan's place in that pattern.

I was pretty sure the elevator answer was "Otis" but I also knew that "Otis Redding" was a person's name but had no idea who. I talked myself out of Otis because a first name only wouldn't be accepted. At least now I'll be prepared if "Elisha Otis Redding" ever shows up in a Before & After category.
Sontag=Sunday. I also got tripped up by getting stuck on months! I spent probably 15 minutes trying to think of activists named May before clamming.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

KellyLasiter wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:41 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:37 pm What does Susan Sontag have to do with calendars?

Sontag=Sunday. I also got tripped up by getting stuck on months! I spent probably 15 minutes trying to think of activists named May before clamming.
Based on the clue's wording, I was pretty sure at least one of the answers was not a month. That said, I chickened out and clammed on Sontag.
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

I got as far as thinking of days of the week in English and French, and a couple in Spanish, including Domingo, but I didn't even try any German. And even if I had, It's iffy if I'd have been able to think of Sontag, although I recognized it immediately as Sunday when I looked up "On Photography" after posting. Perhaps I should make more of an effort to really learn the months and days of the week in a bunch of common languages. At least my limited knowledge there got me to Avril Lavigne - thank goodness the category specified women, because "Sk8er Boi" could have easily led me to clam that one.

On the other hand, I have never heard of Shazam the app, much less "Beat Shazam" the game show. I can't recall even seeing it on the cable TV directory, which is how I usually absorb this kind of pop TV knowledge if I'm not an active watcher.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Hey, everybody, sorry that I didn't play the R2D2 questions until now. I was staffing a special election today and finally got around to doing this.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Having read through the answers, I'm kinda surprised how hard the 6-pointer is playing on D3.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:45 am Having read through the answers, I'm kinda surprised how hard the 6-pointer is playing on D3.
Which one? ;)

I next to never watched the show, but I've seen enough TV clips over the years to know it. What I noticed in the TV category was 2 CBS and 3 NBC with no love for ABC shows. I wished that Cheers/Frasier combo had been tossed for something Lost or Desperate Housewives.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Does anyone know the correct answer for today's 15 pointer? I put Logan Airport, but I'm worried that might not cut it. I'm pretty sure Diane and Sam were at Logan in the Cheers finale, but don't remember the Frasier episode.

edit: after reading the synopses, it seems "in an airplane" was probably the appropriate answer. Frasier's flight didn't depart or land in Boston, so Logan isn't correct.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:32 am Does anyone know the correct answer for today's 15 pointer? I put Logan Airport, but I'm worried that might not cut it. I'm pretty sure Diane and Sam were at Logan in the Cheers finale, but don't remember the Frasier episode.
I put "the airport" as a somewhat guess, hoping it wouldn't require specificity, and looking it up afterward, I think the Frasier clue may be referring to a scene at a Chicago airport. So maybe it's "airport" as a general thing? I was pulling it out of my ass, but if I got it right by accident, I won't complain. :lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I remembered two thirds of the MASH finale title correctly. Not, of course, the third that mattered.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I'm so glad that I clammed instead of going with Logan!
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I'm happy I didn't give up on Streisand. It took me a while, but I just knew it was someone I knew of, that it would click as soon as I thought of it, and I was still kicking myself over Sontag, so I sat there with it and ran through all the female B names I could think of. Finally got systematic and was like "OK, names that start with BA," which led pretty quickly to Barbra and the answer finally clicking.
Woof

Post by Woof »

KellyLasiter wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:01 am I'm happy I didn't give up on Streisand. It took me a while, but I just knew it was someone I knew of, that it would click as soon as I thought of it, and I was still kicking myself over Sontag, so I sat there with it and ran through all the female B names I could think of. Finally got systematic and was like "OK, names that start with BA," which led pretty quickly to Barbra and the answer finally clicking.
Me, too. I just racked my brain trying to come up with any females in the entertainment industry who had the initials B.S. (I did dismiss Britney Spears pro forma) As Sherlock Holmes said....