Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 3 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 3 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by nightreign »

Here are some from last year that fewer than 10 people got right.
Round 1 Day 3: restriction enzymes 6/12/102
Round 2 Day 2: outlawry 3/9/105
Round 2 Day 4: Lamia 4/7/100
Round 2 Day 5: Helen Hunt Jackson 8/4/95
Round 4 Day 3: Deep Blue 8/5/81
Round 4 Day 3: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 6/2/86
Round 5 Day 3: shakshouka 7/4/78
Round 6 Day 3: Kutuzov 6/1/78

And here are some that more got wrong than right (plus one that had the same number of rights and wrongs, but so few clams that it's kind of funny)
Round 1 Day 4: Air Force One 21/28/69
Round 1 Day 6: Warren Burger 57/57/3
Round 3 Day 3: Danbury 10/13/72
Round 5 Day 3: Monday 26/53/10
Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wpwells »

I couldn't come up with "Catch-all". My goodness.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Wpwells wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:46 am I couldn't come up with "Catch-all". My goodness.
I said "catch as catch can", which IMO is a better fit. I suspect that there are several possible answers that could be called correct.
Teems with quiet fun.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

immaf wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:58 am
Wpwells wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:46 am I couldn't come up with "Catch-all". My goodness.
I said "catch as catch can", which IMO is a better fit. I suspect that there are several possible answers that could be called correct.
Agreed. "Catch-all" isn't really about "using" or "availabil[ity]".
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I talked myself out of Catch Me If You Can, grr.

ETA: I knew there was an older movie called To Catch a Thief but thought maybe there was a newer one called the same thing. IDK why.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

On today's 2-pointer, I had an RTFQ error, when I read Catch-22 as Catcher in the Rye. Hilarity, and negative points, ensued.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:57 am On today's 2-pointer, I had an RTFQ error, when I read Catch-22 as Catcher in the Rye. Hilarity, and negative points, ensued.
I feel your pain, H. I've already exceeded my typical quota of RTFQ whiffs this year.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

I don't think "catch all" is correct at all. Is it the intended correct answer? I said "catch as catch can" also.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

2pointer: thought Heller, then changed it to Vonnegut. GRR
Total brain fart on the NFL question, and got way cocky on the 15 pt (thankfully only going to lose 5 pts) one. Thought "charm" was too obvious, so clammed.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've only heard "catch as catch can" in the context of wrestling.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

MasterCone wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:21 pm
I don't think "catch all" is correct at all. Is it the intended correct answer? I said "catch as catch can" also.
When I've heard "catch as catch can" I always took it to mean getting one thing, but using any means to do so. (So, not "anything that is available). I reluctantly put down "catch all", thinking that the word "phrase" in the clue was an adjunct to the intended response (ie. a "catch-all phrase"). I initially had "grab bag" before I caught on to the implication of the quote marks.

Despite that (and quite a few "catch-all" responses) I don't think there is enough of a controversy here to warrant a RQ. I'll take my lumps.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I also went with "catch as catch can." Don't know if it's just a family idiom or not, but it was usually used to mean "make do with you have" as in the context of "Lunch today is catch as catch can" meaning "You're on your own - look in the fridge and find something."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:29 pm I've only heard "catch as catch can" in the context of wrestling.
I think that's where the phrase originates. It meant a style of wrestling where the competitors could use all kinds of holds or maneuvers that were prohibited under other rules. (A near-relative would be no-holds-barred.)
Woof

Post by Woof »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:53 pm
I also went with "catch as catch can." Don't know if it's just a family idiom or not, but it was usually used to mean "make do with you have" as in the context of "Lunch today is catch as catch can" meaning "You're on your own - look in the fridge and find something."
That's exactly the context in which I've heard it used, too.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

KellyLasiter wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:09 am UGH, I just realized I misread the UHF/VHF question and put both answers when it only asked for the one. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Would that be a neg, though, as you did give the specified answer in there. Even in Learned League, if you give two answers where they only want one, as long as the desired one is first, it's marked correct.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

all your embarrassing answers are not as bad as the person who did the Harry Potter TD not getting the Harry Potter question (me: "they use obliviate, right? That doesn't start with memory...") :oops:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:53 pm
I was considering just saying 'MacGyvering" since it's not a hard rule in J! that a word in quotes in the clue be part of the response. Sometimes it's just a TOM. But I couldn't shoehorn MacGyvering into that looser restriction either.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

"Catch as catch can" was the intended correct answer for the 4-pointer. I'll look into the others when I run the script.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I've had a really bad migraine for the past few days, and just played the three rounds for this week. I saw after I posted my responses to R3D1 that the answers were already posted in the thread. Does that mean that my score for that day doesn't count?
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:15 am I've had a really bad migraine for the past few days, and just played the three rounds for this week. I saw after I posted my responses to R3D1 that the answers were already posted in the thread. Does that mean that my score for that day doesn't count?
As long as you didn't look at the answers before posting, your responses will be counted.