Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 3 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 3 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

I gave up on the 2 pointer with 6 letters as I all had for grand was awesome and amazeballs.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:18 am I gave up on the 2 pointer with 6 letters as I all had for grand was awesome and amazeballs.
I...may have also come up with those two as well.

I finally WAGged with a two-word phrase, "all out," as in "went all out," but I seriously couldn't come up with anything. Everything had either too many or too few letters. I found all four of the other A questions easier than the 2-pointer.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

OMG, someone just got it right, and now it makes perfect sense. I read the "esp. now" thing as implying current slang, but nope, IT'S A REFERENCE TO A BLOODY MONTH OF THE YEAR.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Yeah...I felt bad clamming on that one but I literally couldn't think of anything besides "awesome" and kept trying to think of a word that our dear leader uses to fit the "especially now" part of the clue. Unfortunately, "bigly" doesn't start with an "a" nor is it six letters.

I also couldn't come up with anything besides "adept" for the six-pointer.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

And I've been seeing two different answers for the 6-pointer that I think are both right--artful and adroit.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:22 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:18 am I gave up on the 2 pointer with 6 letters as I all had for grand was awesome and amazeballs.

I finally WAGged with a two-word phrase, "all out," as in "went all out," but I seriously couldn't come up with anything. Everything had either too many or too few letters. I found all four of the other A questions easier than the 2-pointer.
I thought of saying amazin'. Yeah, the "especially now" didn't help. No way of knowing it was a reference to the month. I kept thinking it was a reference to the current administration, and then saying, "'Bigly' doesn't begin with an 'A' and it's the wrong number of letters."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 am
KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:22 am

I thought of saying amazin'. Yeah, the "especially now" didn't help. No way of knowing it was a reference to the month. I kept thinking it was a reference to the current administration, and then saying, "'Bigly' doesn't begin with an 'A' and it's the wrong number of letters."
And I wrote the above before I read Wpwells's post.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

The only thing I could think of for the 2-pointer to tie in the 'especially now' was
Ariana Grande.... and I didn't know of any language that 'Ariana' meant Grand.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I've always taken "august" to mean distinguished, esteemed, honored, etc. mostly as applied to group of people or institution. "Grand" to me means opulence or magnificence or a room or environment. One would not describe the body of the Supreme Court to be "grand" (although the courtrooms/offices may be).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

That "Crossword 'A'" category is really chewing people up and spitting them out! Hardest two-pointer ever?
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:48 am That "Crossword 'A'" category is really chewing people up and spitting them out! Hardest two-pointer ever?
I wonder if it's that "grand" is such a common word with several different meanings? Is it distinguished, or opulent, or a thousand bucks? :lol:
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Also, I know it's the 15-pointer, but "chancellor of New York who swore in Washington" seemed kind of obscure, as reflected in the get rate. I mean, I know Livingston is a Founding Father (albeit not one of the ones who comes up the most often in trivia), but the role of "New York State Chancellor" is probably not one of his most famous these days.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 pm Also, I know it's the 15-pointer, but "chancellor of New York who swore in Washington" seemed kind of obscure, as reflected in the get rate. I mean, I know Livingston is a Founding Father (albeit not one of the ones who comes up the most often in trivia), but the role of "New York State Chancellor" is probably not one of his most famous these days.
I was just glad the guy I came up with really was from New York, so at least my memory served me that far, though not far enough.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:48 am That "Crossword 'A'" category is really chewing people up and spitting them out! Hardest two-pointer ever?
I don't do well at wordplay...for a change, most are finding it hard too.
Btw, how hard is 15 pointer? Quick glance shows no answers...I played long enough to not put John Jay.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:42 pm
Btw, how hard is 15 pointer? Quick glance shows no answers...I played long enough to not put John Jay.
I saw that at least one person got Livingston. So it's not a total skunking so far.

ETA: unrelatedly, I had only ever heard the word "amalgam" in its generic sense of a mixture. I did not know it's also a word for a mercury alloy.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:40 am And I've been seeing two different answers for the 6-pointer that I think are both right--artful and adroit.
Absolutely both are correct, and I'd go to the mat on this one if it became necessary. But I don't think that will happen. Just because a writer doesn't think of all the correct answers to a particular question, that doesn't make those answers any the less correct. Starts with "A" - check. Means skillful - check. Six letters - check.

Wish I'd explored the bios of the somewhat lesser characters in 1776, because Robert Livingston gets to participate in one of my favorite songs from the show/movie, when they are deciding who among Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, Sherman, and Livingston should write the Declaration of Independence.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:47 pm
I saw that at least one person got Livingston. So it's not a total skunking so far.
Is there a minimum number for the question to count?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I don't do well at wordplay...for a change, most are finding it hard too.
I'm usually pretty good at parsing the clues on these wordplay categories but, man, I really struggled with this one. I was glad to get acquiesce and felt like I would have a headslap moment when I looked up the actual answers but nope, I wasn't getting any of those except adroit maybe. I kept getting stuck on adept but obviously not enough letters. Amalgam I've heard of as a mixture but had no idea it was mercury specific. Isn't amalgam what fillings are made out of?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 pm Also, I know it's the 15-pointer, but "chancellor of New York who swore in Washington" seemed kind of obscure, as reflected in the get rate. I mean, I know Livingston is a Founding Father (albeit not one of the ones who comes up the most often in trivia), but the role of "New York State Chancellor" is probably not one of his most famous these days.
My thoughts on that one were "it's probably Hamilton or Burr, but I'm not going to risk the neg" so that turned out to be a good decision. I've never heard of Livingston.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:07 pm
My thoughts on that one were "it's probably Hamilton or Burr, but I'm not going to risk the neg" so that turned out to be a good decision. I've never heard of Livingston.
I was pretty sure it wasn't A.Ham, because I figured there was no way Miranda wouldn't have turned it into a song. :lol: I thought it probably wasn't Burr, but wasn't sure, and Gouverneur Morris popped into my head and I was like "His name rings a bell, I think he's from New York, maybe it was him."