Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 3 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 3 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Wpwells »

Well, apparently Canada isn't making money out of cotton...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:33 am Are the facts about bumblebees (e.g., some nesting, some parasitic) that well-known? Or did a lot of people get that one simply because "bumble" sounds similar to bombus?
I knew bombus were commonly known as bumblebees. I didn't know the parasitic ones were also classified as bumblebees, but figured that had to be the answer.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:33 am Are the facts about bumblebees (e.g., some nesting, some parasitic) that well-known? Or did a lot of people get that one simply because "bumble" sounds similar to bombus? I'm curious since I'm one of the few people who missed it.

And was there any way to get to "Spocking" if you didn't already know it?
Somewhere I picked up that 'Bombus' was the bumblebee genus. I could not begin to guess what that somewhere was.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Well, I thought of Fu Manchu for the 9-pointer, and it made a whole lot of sense - involves drawing a mustache on a portrait, same first letter as "fives" - so I went with it, in the off chance I'd get a perfecto. Alas, it was not to be, but it still seems like the right move to try. The potential gain of 9 points vs. the potential loss of only 3 more than if I'd clammed is MUCH easier to take than getting a 12- or 15-pointer wrong.

Of course, I'm assuming here that plastic is an acceptable answer for the 12-pointer. I really hope we didn't need to name a specific kind of plastic or polymer.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Magna wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:58 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:29 pm I've only heard "catch as catch can" in the context of wrestling.
I think that's where the phrase originates. It meant a style of wrestling where the competitors could use all kinds of holds or maneuvers that were prohibited under other rules. (A near-relative would be no-holds-barred.)
Interesting -- I always thought it originated with fishing. I you were looking for trout but caught perch, you had perch for lunch.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

nlw44 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:11 pm
rjaguar3 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:58 pm I haven't run the script yet (so I don't have statistics), but it appears that some of the questions today missed the difficulty mark. I sincerely apologize. While there are many very bright players, I want the competition to be fun for everyone.

Two of today's questions have come up in the discussions.
  • The August clue was one where I thought more people would have an aha moment and realize that August is both an adjective and a calendar noun--the current month. This link could have been made more obvious at the 2-point level.
  • The Livingston clue I expected to be difficult, but not impossibly hard. I thought some would be familiar with inaugurations where the oath isn't administered by the Chief Justice (like Coolidge's and LBJ's). Also, several clues in the Archive mention Livingston (but not as a response). In hindsight, this would probably have worked better as a question on New York (which would have given another way to the correct answer).
This is the first time I've been doing this myself, without anyone filling the very useful role of having a second look at the questions. Nevertheless, I know that overly difficult questions are not acceptable. To that end, I will make extra efforts to make sure that questions reflect material the Show is likely to ask about, and, where possible, verified by its appearance on the Show. I want to see this SHC through with material that is interesting, informative, but most importantly, fun.
It is definitely fun, even with the occasional nearly impossible question. I'd just like to express my thanks to you for doing it at all, much less without someone else vetting the questions with you. The writers on the show certainly get it really, really wrong now and then, and they have lots of people working on it.
Hear, hear. If the whole SHC were too easy or too hard, it would be a problem, but for individual questions or even whole categories it's fine. :)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

rjaguar3 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:58 pm I haven't run the script yet (so I don't have statistics), but it appears that some of the questions today missed the difficulty mark. I sincerely apologize. While there are many very bright players, I want the competition to be fun for everyone.

• The August clue was one where I thought more people would have an aha moment and realize that August is both an adjective and a calendar noun--the current month. This link could have been made more obvious at the 2-point level.
  • The Livingston clue I expected to be difficult, but not impossibly hard. I thought some would be familiar with inaugurations where the oath isn't administered by the Chief Justice (like Coolidge's and LBJ's). Also, several clues in the Archive mention Livingston (but not as a response). In hindsight, this would probably have worked better as a question on New York (which would have given another way to the correct answer).
This is the first time I've been doing this myself, without anyone filling the very useful role of having a second look at the questions. Nevertheless, I know that overly difficult questions are not acceptable. To that end, I will make extra efforts to make sure that questions reflect material the Show is likely to ask about, and, where possible, verified by its appearance on the Show. I want to see this SHC through with material that is interesting, informative, but most importantly, fun.
The Livingston clue was difficult and was appropriately valued, but not out of bounds. I clammed on it, but I don't think it was unfair.

The August clue -- wow. I clammed on that one, and gave myself my hardest forehead smack yet when I saw the answer. I think it was a GREAT clue -- probably my favorite one of the SHC so far, even though I blanked on it.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:33 am Are the facts about bumblebees (e.g., some nesting, some parasitic) that well-known? Or did a lot of people get that one simply because "bumble" sounds similar to bombus? I'm curious since I'm one of the few people who missed it.
I reasoned that because honeybees had been alluded to in the first clue, this clue must be asking about the other major kind of bee.

Btw, I'm hoping that for the Brazilian bee question, "killer bees" (in quotes) will be accepted, without specifying that they're African-something (I couldn't think of the exact term). Anyway, "killer bees" is the common everyday term for them.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:00 pm

The Livingston clue was difficult and was appropriately valued, but not out of bounds. I clammed on it, but I don't think it was unfair.

The August clue -- wow. I clammed on that one, and gave myself my hardest forehead smack yet when I saw the answer. I think it was a GREAT clue -- probably my favorite one of the SHC so far, even though I blanked on it.
Yep, I thought both clues were fair too--I just didn't think of August (but it made perfect sense in hindsight), and didn't know Livingston.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Magna wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:01 pm
I reasoned that because honeybees had been alluded to in the first clue, this clue must be asking about the other major kind of bee.

Btw, I'm hoping that for the Brazilian bee question, "killer bees" (in quotes) will be accepted, without specifying that they're African-something (I couldn't think of the exact term). Anyway, "killer bees" is the common everyday term for them.
I thought of putting "africanized" in parentheses, but honestly, given the way the question was worded ("it ought to be criminal") I can't imagine that killer bees, with or without quotes, would be negged. Clearly, the only criminal aspect to the answer is the killer part.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I thought "going to the moon" would be accepted yesterday, but it was not. I thought the policy was "We want to give you points." Maybe I've been spoiled by Thorsten's lenient grading.
Is "arthropod" okay or does it have to be "arthropoda"?
Hoping for a third lap
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

sarisson wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:03 pm I thought "going to the moon" would be accepted yesterday, but it was not. I thought the policy was "We want to give you points." Maybe I've been spoiled by Thorsten's lenient grading.
That should have been an acceptable response in my book. It's clear you knew what he was going for.
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

sarisson wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:03 pm I thought "going to the moon" would be accepted yesterday, but it was not. I thought the policy was "We want to give you points." Maybe I've been spoiled by Thorsten's lenient grading.
Is "arthropod" okay or does it have to be "arthropoda"?
You did receive credit for the 9-pointer. I have a score of 14 from (3 + 6 + 9 - 4); the answer to the 12-pointer was Cleveland, not Harding.

Arthropod(s) is good.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I had never heard of "Spocking" as a verb, but I'll gladly forego the points in exchange for the good laugh I got when I looked it up.
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

For those playing along, the theme this week was
  • The Middle
  • The Toy Box
  • The Catch
and the network those shows are on: (Crossword Clues) "A"-Bee-Sea.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The second set for Day 6 is a good reminder that S4 of Endeavour will be on this Sunday.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Possibly to head off some worrying for some ... for the 15-pointer, in the UK, the series was called Lewis, while here in the US PBS re-broadcast it as Inspector Lewis.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Never heard of Inspector Morse or Lewis. I'll look over the Masterpiece Mystery lineup so that I'll be familiar with the names and basic plots at least, even if I'll never have time to watch them without cloning myself. Then again, it's British TV, so their "seasons" are probably all of 4 episodes.

Let's see, two Ns or one, with or without the U, so that'll be four spellings of Branagh. I think I tried them all one time on Sporcle (while cursing and wondering why it wasn't working), so I'll never forget the proper spelling again :lol:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Wpwells wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:55 am Well, apparently Canada isn't making money out of cotton...
I thought Canadians still used fur pelts as money. I guess that's wrong too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Ugh, for some reason I didn't think the Caribbean extended that far south, and rejected the obvious right answer. That'll teach me to trivia before coffee.