Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 3 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 3 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by doihavetoreally »

All these years watching Masterpiece Mystery has paid off - so far, the easiest category for me in SHC. Will take it. Slight hesitation on Holmes as Poirot could be default knee-jerk answer at 3-point level.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
alamble

Post by alamble »

doihavetoreally wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:04 am All these years watching Masterpiece Mystery has paid off - so far, the easiest category for me in SHC. Will take it. Slight hesitation on Holmes as Poirot could be default knee-jerk answer at 3-point level.
Not when given the episode titles, all of which are riffs on existing Sherlock Holmes stories.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

alamble wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 am
doihavetoreally wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:04 am All these years watching Masterpiece Mystery has paid off - so far, the easiest category for me in SHC. Will take it. Slight hesitation on Holmes as Poirot could be default knee-jerk answer at 3-point level.
Not when given the episode titles, all of which are riffs on existing Sherlock Holmes stories.
Sure. What I'm saying is Masterpiece mystery + detective = Poirot for me. I needed the titles to steer to Holmes. Had I read the clue carefully, modern update wording also indicates Sherlock.

Might be a perfecto round for me, and its as rare as the event on Monday.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I think this will probably be my highest scoring day so far. I think in the mystery category only the 15-pointer required any TV viewing; the others could be teased out from wording in the clues.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

doihavetoreally wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:15 am
alamble wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 am
Sure. What I'm saying is Masterpiece mystery + detective = Poirot for me. I needed the titles to steer to Holmes. Had I read the clue carefully, modern update wording also indicates Sherlock.
Another factor was that a different Christie detective was the answer to another clue. In a category with lots of material to draw on, it's not too likely that the same show or author would be used for two different questions.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Argh. cmp146 watched these Masterpiece Mystery shows sitting next to me, and yet I couldn't pull Branagh or Inspector Lewis from my brain.