Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by georgespelvin »

I am proud to get the monopsony question from dim memories of my college economics class without the TOM at the end of the question, although the TOM did give me confirmation that I was right. :D
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I know I said the other day that putting Moscow was better than putting nothing, but 7% putting Texas as a republic led by Sanford Dole in the 1890s? And its only president, really?

I got Dole but it was my only get in a 0(1)-1(1) loss. My opponent also got Dole, but I gave them zero for the theater critic. They were from New York and Theater was their fifth best subject. Knocked me out of first place for the first time since the start of the season. I still have a four point cushion for promotion out of the basement as we pass the half-way mark of the season.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:27 am I am proud to get the monopsony question from dim memories of my college economics class without the TOM at the end of the question, although the TOM did give me confirmation that I was right. :D
That was one of my proudest gets, too. First I listed what letters the "multinational corporation" could plausibly start with and when I got to "s" I thought monopsony sounded vaguely familiar. I probably spent too much time at work thinking about this question. Don't tell my boss. :)

I expected a lot more than 58% correct on Hawaii. When I saw Dole I reflexively thought of Hawaii. I'm guessing a lot of people overthought that one.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:35 am
georgespelvin wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:27 am I am proud to get the monopsony question from dim memories of my college economics class without the TOM at the end of the question, although the TOM did give me confirmation that I was right. :D
That was one of my proudest gets, too. First I listed what letters the "multinational corporation" could plausibly start with and when I got to "s" I thought monopsony sounded vaguely familiar. I probably spent too much time at work thinking about this question. Don't tell my boss. :)

I expected a lot more than 58% correct on Hawaii. When I saw Dole I reflexively thought of Hawaii. I'm guessing a lot of people overthought that one.
Dole = pineapple = Hawaii. Wild guess for me. Does the dude own pineapples or is it a coincidence?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

recognized polpette and köfte and remembered them as meaty things but went with sausage :(

I would have lost anyway, but it still stings
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

boson wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:35 am Once again the "theater" question is code for "New York question". I realize that Broadway dominates American theater, but I find the meta-trivia about it (like this one, and naming the Broadway production company a few seasons ago) only accessible to New Yorkers.

I was pretty proud of my guess of 'monoplexus' for the monopoly - opposite concept. I wonder if it means anything.
That question is punishment for my decision to let our NYT subscription lapse a couple of years back.

I also derped on the Lead Belly question (I thought "folk" and "blues" meant that the performer was white, and answered "Boxcar Willie"[!]) and the meatball question (I went with "dumplings"). Not my finest hour.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mennoknight wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:18 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:35 am

Dole = pineapple = Hawaii. Wild guess for me. Does the dude own pineapples or is it a coincidence?
His cousin founded the pineapple company.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

boson wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:35 am Once again the "theater" question is code for "New York question". I realize that Broadway dominates American theater, but I find the meta-trivia about it (like this one, and naming the Broadway production company a few seasons ago) only accessible to New Yorkers.
It was accessible to anyone who reads the NYT (or at least their theater section), which is accessible to anyone with internet (at least in North America). Conversely, I'm a New Yorker and I don't read the Gray Lady so I had no idea on that one.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 pm recognized polpette and köfte and remembered them as meaty things but went with sausage :(

Yeah, I've had kofta and it was meaty stuff but formed more into a sausagey shape--I was led astray by the quirks of a specific restaurant and regional variant, I think! I put ground beef.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

KellyLasiter wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:29 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 pm recognized polpette and köfte and remembered them as meaty things but went with sausage :(

Yeah, I've had kofta and it was meaty stuff but formed more into a sausagey shape--I was led astray by the quirks of a specific restaurant and regional variant, I think! I put ground beef.
I eat kofta all the time, but to me it's a vegetarian dish (Indian restaurant). I got this one from knowing köttbullar are Swedish meatballs.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:03 pm

I eat kofta all the time, but to me it's a vegetarian dish (Indian restaurant). I got this one from knowing köttbullar are Swedish meatballs.
Yeah, I didn't know that. Clearly I need to spend more time in IKEA.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

The only one I recognized was albóndigas, which I know as Mexican meatball soup..... so naturally, I answered "soup" :roll:

ETA: Before anyone corrects me, I'll correct myself after having looked it up: albóndigas soup is Mexican meatball soup.
Last edited by RandyG on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Leadbelly was the perfect example of when my defensive gut fails me, but luckily it didn't cost me. Having grown up on folk music, being given "Good Night, Irene" felt like such a gimme to me that I zeroed it without thinking.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:42 pm

The only one I recognized was albóndigas, which I know as Mexican meatball soup..... so naturally, I answered "soup" :roll:

ETA: Before anyone corrects me, I'll correct myself after having looked it up: albóndigas soup is Mexican meatball soup.
For me, it was my first year of Spanish in 7th grade, from a scene in the cafeteria: A mí no me gustan las albóndigas. The things that stick with you for over 45 years... I can still recall, word for word, the first line of dialogue from that class, as can my best friend from that era.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I recognized köfte first but remembered it served as spiced ground beef wrapped around a stick so I thought maybe they were all served on a skewer and therefore the answer was "kebab". Luckily I then noticed polpette and remembered it being meatballs. 'köttbullar' sounded like a reasonable translation of meatballs to some north European language so I felt pretty confident with it.

My biggest surprise was that despite a mediocre score in theatre and being Canadian, my opponent defended the NY Times question with a 1. In the end it wouldn't have mattered and I got the win keeping myself in the top half of my rundle, despite having a lower TCA than most of the players below me. Hooray for random luck!
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

mcsheffrey wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:09 pm In the end it wouldn't have mattered and I got the win keeping myself in the top half of my rundle, despite having a lower TCA than most of the players below me. Hooray for random luck!
What other kind of luck is there? :D
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Well, Branch Rickey famously said that "luck is the residue of design".
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

With a 4(2)-1(1) victory on MD14, I climbed to #2 in my rundle, my highest ranking ever in LL. I was the only one in the division to identify "The Accidental Tourist" and "Rich Man, Poor Man". I guess there are advantages to being an old fart!
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

mcsheffrey wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:09 pm

I recognized köfte first but remembered it served as spiced ground beef wrapped around a stick so I thought maybe they were all served on a skewer and therefore the answer was "kebab". Luckily I then noticed polpette and remembered it being meatballs. 'köttbullar' sounded like a reasonable translation of meatballs to some north European language so I felt pretty confident with it.

My biggest surprise was that despite a mediocre score in theatre and being Canadian, my opponent defended the NY Times question with a 1. In the end it wouldn't have mattered and I got the win keeping myself in the top half of my rundle, despite having a lower TCA than most of the players below me. Hooray for random luck!
Yeah, mine gave me zero on the NY Times question that day, and I totally whiffed it, which meant I won with an 8(4). My theater score's good, but it's based on like 3 questions that were more "name that play" sorts of things.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:16 pm Well, Branch Rickey famously said that "luck is the residue of design".
I thought someone might bring that up. :) But all that means is that if you prepare and plan properly, you can best take advantage of opportunities presented by random luck. :)