Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Marana, AZ
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:10 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:50 pm
StevenH wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 am
I should have been able to make the leap to The Go-Go's by remembering the song "We Got the Beat," but it didn't get on my radar from Beauty and the Beat.
Or by remembering the hit song "Vacation," since Vacation was another of the album titles given in the question.
Not to be confused with this hit from 20 years earlier:

Image
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

User avatar
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by KellyLasiter » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Woof wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:59 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 am
econgator wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 am
For me, the most surprising thing was that Wellington got under 50%. I figured that would be right up there in the 90s with gingivitis.
Agreed. Not sure about 90% plus, but very surprised not even half remembered the Wellington-Waterloo connection.

I managed to get all six correct despite the classical music question. I thought the composer was the guy who shares his name with a Founding Father. It took me a while to remember which Founding Father, but I was able to pull it eventually.
For me, it was just that there are so few modern opera composers of note that it's easy to recall that John Adams is the guy who does the topical operas (Nixon in China, Death of Klinghoffer, Doctor Atomic) and Philip Glass who does the historical/literary ones (Satyagraha, Einstein on the Beach, The Trial, Akhnaten). Works for me, at least :mrgreen:
Same. I didn't know Klinghoffer, but I knew Nixon and a few other things--it was a guess, but not really a wild one. I'll never know what my opponent would have scored me for it, though, as I played yesterday against the person in my rundle who has forfeited every day of the season.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1820
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:32 pm

RandyG wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:10 pm
hbomb1947 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:50 pm
StevenH wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 am
I should have been able to make the leap to The Go-Go's by remembering the song "We Got the Beat," but it didn't get on my radar from Beauty and the Beat.
Or by remembering the hit song "Vacation," since Vacation was another of the album titles given in the question.
Not to be confused with this hit from 20 years earlier:

Image
Now I want to know what "The Biggest Sin Of All" was. :shock: :? :o

User avatar
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)
Posts: 1336
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by goforthetie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:01 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 am
econgator wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 am
For me, the most surprising thing was that Wellington got under 50%. I figured that would be right up there in the 90s with gingivitis.
Agreed. Not sure about 90% plus, but very surprised not even half remembered the Wellington-Waterloo connection.
Maybe some didn't think "Duke of Wellington" would be enough, and tried to put down a real name? I myself was only 80% or so confident that Duke of Wellington would be accepted, but that was higher than my 66% certainty that "Wellesley" was his given name, so I went with it. Is there some rule that would make "Duke of Wellington" indisputably acceptable?

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8241
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by econgator » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:26 pm

goforthetie wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:01 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 am
econgator wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 am
For me, the most surprising thing was that Wellington got under 50%. I figured that would be right up there in the 90s with gingivitis.
Agreed. Not sure about 90% plus, but very surprised not even half remembered the Wellington-Waterloo connection.
Maybe some didn't think "Duke of Wellington" would be enough, and tried to put down a real name? I myself was only 80% or so confident that Duke of Wellington would be accepted, but that was higher than my 66% certainty that "Wellesley" was his given name, so I went with it. Is there some rule that would make "Duke of Wellington" indisputably acceptable?
5a.4
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, a question whose answer is a person or entity (e.g. "Who is....?", "Identify this person...", "What man...", "What [thing]...") requires the person's/entity's name in order to be credited as correct. Any other identifying feature, while perhaps unique, is not sufficient. Exceptions are when the unique identifying feature (such as a title) is clearly the primary way by which the person or entity is known, in which case the title ("Dalai Lama") as well as the name ("Tenzin Gyatso") are correct.

It's safe to say that Arthur Wellesley is best-known as (the Duke of) Wellington. I just put Wellington and had zero fear of it not being accepted.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8770
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by dhkendall » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Blue Lion wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:36 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 am
Agreed. Not sure about 90% plus, but very surprised not even half remembered the Wellington-Waterloo connection.
I hope no one from English Canada got that one wrong. Just about every town in Ontario I've been to has streets named "Wellington" and "Waterloo". And most have Lions Clubs.
Equating “English Canada” with “Ontario” make dhkendall angry. :evil:

(For the record, yes we have both streets, one is a regional thoroughfare, one is a residential street, both are on the other end of town from me and therefore not on my mind often.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6389
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by seaborgium » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:15 pm

econgator wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 am
Actually, maybe the fact that naval hero Nelson was the MCWA is the most surprising. *shrug*
Well, the battle was Waterloo, after all.

User avatar
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by KellyLasiter » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:25 pm

econgator wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:26 pm
goforthetie wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:01 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 am
econgator wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 am
For me, the most surprising thing was that Wellington got under 50%. I figured that would be right up there in the 90s with gingivitis.
Agreed. Not sure about 90% plus, but very surprised not even half remembered the Wellington-Waterloo connection.
Maybe some didn't think "Duke of Wellington" would be enough, and tried to put down a real name? I myself was only 80% or so confident that Duke of Wellington would be accepted, but that was higher than my 66% certainty that "Wellesley" was his given name, so I went with it. Is there some rule that would make "Duke of Wellington" indisputably acceptable?
5a.4
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, a question whose answer is a person or entity (e.g. "Who is....?", "Identify this person...", "What man...", "What [thing]...") requires the person's/entity's name in order to be credited as correct. Any other identifying feature, while perhaps unique, is not sufficient. Exceptions are when the unique identifying feature (such as a title) is clearly the primary way by which the person or entity is known, in which case the title ("Dalai Lama") as well as the name ("Tenzin Gyatso") are correct.

It's safe to say that Arthur Wellesley is best-known as (the Duke of) Wellington. I just put Wellington and had zero fear of it not being accepted.
I also just put Wellington. I was more worried he'd turn out to have been an Earl instead of a Duke than I was about not having just Wellington accepted.

I think I'll probably always remember it from that old chestnut about how the message first came through as "Wellington defeated" instead of "Wellington defeated Napoleon." I looked it up after submitting and it doesn't appear to even be true--it was kind of the urban legend of its day, I guess--but it was one of those Stories My Dad Told.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1438
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:42 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:10 pm
Equating “English Canada” with “Ontario” make dhkendall angry. :evil:

(For the record, yes we have both streets, one is a regional thoroughfare, one is a residential street, both are on the other end of town from me and therefore not on my mind often.)
Oopsie! Full disclosure: I've only been to three Canadian provinces--Ontario, Quebec, and BC. On my bucket list is buying a Canrailpass and seeing more of your country.

User avatar
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:57 pm
Location: Simpsonville, SC

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by SBurrus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:14 am

With a 2(1)-0(F) win on MD20, my record for the season improved to 13-3-4 and I moved back up to #2 in my rundle. This was my 4th forfeit win of the season. I lead the rundle in match points, am tied for second in correct answers and am one correct answer away from tying a personal record for most correct answers in a season. With a career LL record of 72-72-24, I finally raised my career LL record to 0.500.

User avatar
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by georgespelvin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:19 am

Well, I probably angered the luck fairies of Learned League yesterday and lost all chance of winning my rundle. I did not have any knowledge of the Food and Drink question yesterday but the first thing that popped into my head yesterday was "rhubarb". Now the only thing I know about rhubarb is that it's either something you eat or an old time term for an argument that breaks out during a baseball game (note to those of you who did not know that to file it away for future use). Because I did not really know what a rhubarb (the kind you eat) was other than it was either a fruit or vegetable I flailed away with "celery".

Now this did not decide the match, I had one of my worst match days this season, but clearly the luck fairies will not take kindly to the fact that I spurned their help. :oops:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2284
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by StevenH » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:36 am

Yesterday was a disaster, as I lost 0(0)-4(2). I'm kicking myself for not pulling John and Yoko (I love what the MCWA was on that one, too), but I honestly had zero chance at any of the others.

User avatar
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:29 pm
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by acthomas » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 am

StevenH wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:36 am
Yesterday was a disaster, as I lost 0(0)-4(2). I'm kicking myself for not pulling John and Yoko (I love what the MCWA was on that one, too), but I honestly had zero chance at any of the others.
Count me among the MCWA group. When they said "completely naked" I thought they could have meant "tastefully covered up" and it would have made artistic sense.

User avatar
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by mcsheffrey » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 am

acthomas wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 am
StevenH wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:36 am
Yesterday was a disaster, as I lost 0(0)-4(2). I'm kicking myself for not pulling John and Yoko (I love what the MCWA was on that one, too), but I honestly had zero chance at any of the others.
Count me among the MCWA group. When they said "completely naked" I thought they could have meant "tastefully covered up" and it would have made artistic sense.
Yup, me too. John and Yoko came to me just before submitting but I decided that it was too early for them (seriously, how did they get together in '68 and put out an album so fast?). That turned a 2 point win into a frustrating 1 point loss.

User avatar
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:29 pm
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by acthomas » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:50 am

mcsheffrey wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 am
Yup, me too. John and Yoko came to me just before submitting but I decided that it was too early for them (seriously, how did they get together in '68 and put out an album so fast?). That turned a 2 point win into a frustrating 1 point loss.
Same about "too early".

I know you were probably being rhetorical, but as I discovered yesterday morning post-submission, the story of that album is ... engrossing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinishe ... wo_Virgins

The other answer is "because it's awful and unlistenable".

User avatar
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by zerobandwidth » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:13 am

As a bystander, I just came here to say that what's going on here is both fascinating and intimidating. Carry on. :geek:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4705
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:23 am

Tough defensive loss for me yesterday 7(5)-8(5). I missed the World Cup question and my opponent missed John & Yoko. Pop music was one of his worst categories, but I just thought that question was going to be really easy. I think Simon and Garfunkel is a hysterical MCWA! I'm sure everyone that guessed that chuckled a little when they saw the correct answer.

Interestingly my opponent (MesrobianD) is currently leading Fjord A despite having only 84 TCA. That's 23 less than our rundle leader in TCA. Defense matters!

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by classicroadster » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 am

Rhubarb instantly popped into my head, but I couldn't reason why it would be fruit based on how it was eaten. I grew up with a rhubarb patch in our yard, and we always ate it either raw or with a little brown sugar on it. Perhaps the most common way to eat it is in pie? Or jam/jelly? I ended up putting celery as well as I also thought that rhubarb was a Northeast US thing and not widespread enough to warrant a court case. Also the customs court thing led me to thinking imported vegetables....

The album question threw me, as I read it that the main musician would be known for their instrumental talent. John and Yoko crossed my mind, but I didn't know what instrumental talent John had so I dismissed them. I couldn't think of anyone Clapton had done a duet with, and got stuck on Yo Yo Ma, tastefully covered, with someone else I hadn't heard of. At the end of the day, it didn't matter as I had no clue on the novel question and my opponent went 9(6) to remain undefeated in our rookie rundle.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by hbomb1947 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:23 am

acthomas wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 am
StevenH wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:36 am
Yesterday was a disaster, as I lost 0(0)-4(2). I'm kicking myself for not pulling John and Yoko (I love what the MCWA was on that one, too), but I honestly had zero chance at any of the others.
Count me among the MCWA group. When they said "completely naked" I thought they could have meant "tastefully covered up" and it would have made artistic sense.
Another MCWA submitter here. Yeah, the thought of Simon & Garfunkel naked is gross, but it was the '60s. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4065
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 am

I wonder if anyone else did what I did by lucking into the correct answer of John and Yoko by thinking of the photo of John nude from their "bed-in."

Post Reply