Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

badgerfellow
One and Done

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by badgerfellow »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:13 am As a bystander, I just came here to say that what's going on here is both fascinating and intimidating. Carry on. :geek:
We can change that bystander status if you'd like for next season!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

badgerfellow wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:43 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:13 am As a bystander, I just came here to say that what's going on here is both fascinating and intimidating. Carry on. :geek:
We can change that bystander status if you'd like for next season!
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

If you're interested in joining Learned League, I can refer you as a member for next season. Send me a private message if you're interested.

Oops! Badgerfellow beat me to it. Great minds think alike.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:16 pm
If you're interested in joining Learned League, I can refer you as a member for next season. Send me a private message if you're interested.

Oops! Badgerfellow beat me to it. Great minds think alike.
Already taken care of!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woof wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 am I wonder if anyone else did what I did by lucking into the correct answer of John and Yoko by thinking of the photo of John nude from their "bed-in."
Exactly. In fact my brain told me that Yoko was clothed in that picture, but, having everything else fit, I basically said “shut up, brain!”

Fun fact: I believe the “bed in” picture was taken the morning of Lennon’s assassination (another thing my brain tried to remind me of) and was the last (professional) photo of John.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The bed-ins were in 1969, folks, and only related to the Annie Leibovitz photo inasmuch as both involved John, Yoko, and a bed.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:18 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 am I wonder if anyone else did what I did by lucking into the correct answer of John and Yoko by thinking of the photo of John nude from their "bed-in."
Exactly. In fact my brain told me that Yoko was clothed in that picture, but, having everything else fit, I basically said “shut up, brain!”

Fun fact: I believe the “bed in” picture was taken the morning of Lennon’s assassination (another thing my brain tried to remind me of) and was the last (professional) photo of John.
The bed-ins were done much earlier (1969) than the 1980 Annie Leibovitz photo shoot that landed John and Yoko on the [earworm alert!] cover of the Rolling Stone just as Double Fantasy was released, iirc the same week he was killed.

ETA: What seaborgium said.
Last edited by reddpen on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In and out of the pool four times
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

reddpen wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:12 pm

The bed-ins were done much earlier (1969) than the 1980 Annie Leibovitz photo shoot that landed John and Yoko on the [earworm alert!] cover of the Rolling Stone just as Double Fantasy was released, iirc the same week he was killed.
Yup, you're right. So much for memory.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woof wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:14 pm
reddpen wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Yup, you're right. So much for memory.
Same. I thought the pictured Rolling Stone picture was the "bed in" one (doing research I saw where I was completely wrong), so my facts were correct (I think) but the picture title was wrong.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

I thought I was so clever to check whether NissleyT had taken part in the Peanuts 1DS. He came in 17th! Let's switch the 0 from the Dickens questions to the Charlie Brown question!

Tied 9(6)-9(5). :evil:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

A 5(4)-6(5) loss for me. This was one of those days where I knew that I wasn't going to win, even with 4 right (usually good for a win in D rundle) and perfect defense. Sure enough I played perfect defense, but it wasn't enough. And talk about an unlucky break: my opponent, whose get rate in sports was right in the middle of the pack in the rankings of their best categories, just happened to be an Illinois alum!
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Forget what I wrote yesterday about the luck fairies likely deserting me. I guess "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" is much less famous today even though it is still shown every year. I gave my opponent zero points for it and he missed it. Fortunately, he gave me three points for it and I won the match by two. . . :shock:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

georgespelvin wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:57 am Forget what I wrote yesterday about the luck fairies likely deserting me. I guess "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" is much less famous today even though it is still shown every year. I gave my opponent zero points for it and he missed it. Fortunately, he gave me three points for it and I won the match by two. . . :shock:
Are you...me?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

plasticene wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:18 am I thought I was so clever to check whether NissleyT had taken part in the Peanuts 1DS. He came in 17th! Let's switch the 0 from the Dickens questions to the Charlie Brown question!

Tied 9(6)-9(5). :evil:
I didn't think of that and just gave them zero and they missed it. I was shocked to get two for that slam dunk.

The guy who won that 1DS has a flag designed to look like Charlie Brown's shirt and earned one point.

I managed a 4(4)-1(1) and am now six points ahead of the promotion line.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

georgespelvin wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:57 am Forget what I wrote yesterday about the luck fairies likely deserting me. I guess "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" is much less famous today even though it is still shown every year. I gave my opponent zero points for it and he missed it. Fortunately, he gave me three points for it and I won the match by two. . . :shock:
I haven't seen it so I had to make my best guess for it... and never dreamed that the grown-ups would be so mean to Charlie Brown that they wouldn't even give him apples or toothbrushes.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

It was a different world then when the special first was created. Coyotes tried to eat roadrunners and were sadistically thwarted violently. Witches were thrown into ovens. Nowadays children's cartoons are affirming. :lol:

I guess the guy that gave me three points for the question either doesn't post here or know my real name. Otherwise, my "rank" under my picture would indicate not giving me three points.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cmp146 inexplicably (to me, at least) gave me 3 points for the Charlie Brown question. Not only do I own a Charlie Brown t-shirt, but one of my favorite lines to express my displeasure with a situation is to say, "I got a rock." Sorry, Cyndi.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I have been known to say when playing, say, Caverna, "I got a rock" when taking stone resources. (Of course, if there is two stone, I will sing "I wanna rock (rock!) / I want two rock (rock!)"
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

In my 3(3)-7(5) victory we green zeroed each other on Charlie Brown's rock and green oned each other on Oliver!. The one I did not get was statins. "Red" Grange I figured out while if I had needed Harold that may have been torture to recall.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:10 am In my 3(3)-7(5) victory we green zeroed each other on Charlie Brown's rock and green oned each other on Oliver!. The one I did not get was statins. "Red" Grange I figured out while if I had needed Harold that may have been torture to recall.
Fun fact: A "Red Grange" is golf slang for a round of 77--the number Grange wore when he played football at Illinois.