Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:41 pm

And no one would fall for the football gag that often or have a kite eating tree, but here we are.
Well, Charlie Brown's continually falling for the gag was all on him.

As for the kite-eating tree, I'd call it a persecution delusion.
I'm smart and I want respect.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Here I was so proud of myself yesterday and it turned out so badly.

First off, my streak of 60(!) consecutive matches without a tie ended with a score of 6(5)-6(4).

Second, it was an unnecessary loss. The only question I missed, the carbonara question, I wound up giving my opponent one point for despite the fact that I had five correct and I knew that he would give me three points on that question because my only category worse than Food and Drink is Math. Had I given him a zero on that question (and he was good in that category), I would have won by one point.

Third, winning by one point would have put in sole possession of first place in my rundle (Laguna D) with three matches left. Instead, I am in a three way tie for first but in third place on the total match points tie breaker. Incidentally, the three of us hold the top three positions in the rundle in that category.

Fourth, and worst of all, I am now only two points ahead of the promotion line to C League, although I comfortably hold the tiebreaker against the person who could bump me.

And, oh yes, for my last match of the season Thursday I will be playing someone that has won 11 matches in a row (currently in first on the total match points tiebreaker). I've never beaten her. Ouch.

On the other hand, I had no idea who Travis Kalanick was. I wanted to put down something, but the only thing what was popping up in my mind was Travis Bickle, the character in the movie "Taxi Driver". So for that reason I put down Uber because it seemed plausible. I was also proud to suss out Maya Lin.

Finally, I tied yesterday despite my opponent giving me two points on the Whitney Houston question. For me, that was the equivalent of a breakaway slam dunk layup.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I was hoping that having questions I knew in my second and fourth worst categories (Business/Econ and Pop Music) would pay off for me. My opponent inexplicably gave me the 3 for The Sound and the Fury, but I was still fortunate enough to get 2 points for each of the last two and a 7(4)-5(4) win. I maybe could have had eggs with more time to ponder the question (I guessed peas), and for the Maya Lin question I locked in on Judy Chicago and never really considered anyone else. I made the mistake of thinking that the answer for that one would be a more obscure artist and assigned a 3, but thankfully my opponent knowing it didn't cost me the win.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Can someone explain to me how 6% of the people thought Georgia O'Keefe was getting an undergrad degree in 1981?
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

econgator wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:26 am Can someone explain to me how 6% of the people thought Georgia O'Keefe was getting an undergrad degree in 1981?
Maybe she was the only 20th-century female American artist that they could name.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

My first ever appeal to Thorsten to consider an alternate answer was denied - and probably rightly so. I said that carbonara contains cream. It often does, but he was very careful in the wording ("simplest and most authentic version").

I had no idea it contained eggs. Since I don't like egg taste very much, it probably explains why I don't like carbonara despite liking the rest of the ingredients.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

boson wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:22 am My first ever appeal to Thorsten to consider an alternate answer was denied - and probably rightly so. I said that carbonara contains cream. It often does, but he was very careful in the wording ("simplest and most authentic version").

I had no idea it contained eggs. Since I don't like egg taste very much, it probably explains why I don't like carbonara despite liking the rest of the ingredients.
I also (quite confidently) answered cream and was surprised to see eggs as the correct answer. But, as soon as I did, I remembered a trip to France from a few years ago where my dining companion ordered the carbonara and it was served with a raw egg that he mixed in himself which I thought was weird.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

econgator wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:26 am Can someone explain to me how 6% of the people thought Georgia O'Keefe was getting an undergrad degree in 1981?
I have laughed out loud at many a BWA before, but I think this was the first time I did so on a MCWA.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RichmondJ wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:47 pm
I have laughed out loud at many a BWA before, but I think this was the first time I did so on a MCWA.
Last week's Simon and Garfunkel for the musical duo that appeared nude on an album cover was the one that made me laugh out loud!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

My 12-match winning streak came to an end with an 8(5)-8(5) tie. Prior to yesterday, my opponent's career percentage in art was .286, and she was 0 for 4 in it this season, so I 3'd the Maya Lin question (which most LLamas did anyway), and naturally she was one of the 39% of LLamas who got it right. Prior to yesterday her career percentage in Business/Econ was .324 and she hadn't gotten a question in that category correct in LL74 either (nor had she gotten a Current Events question correct this season), so I 2'd the Uber question. She got that right too. Sometimes there's a lot of luck involved in making defense look good or bad.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
clprez

Post by clprez »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:34 pm My 12-match winning streak came to an end with an 8(5)-8(5) tie. Prior to yesterday, my opponent's career percentage in art was .286, and she was 0 for 4 in it this season, so I 3'd the Maya Lin question (which most LLamas did anyway), and naturally she was one of the 39% of LLamas who got it right. Prior to yesterday her career percentage in Business/Econ was .324 and she hadn't gotten a question in that category correct in LL74 either (nor had she gotten a Current Events question correct this season), so I 2'd the Uber question. She got that right too. Sometimes there's a lot of luck involved in making defense look good or bad.
I have a poor art percentage and got the Maya Lin answer, too. The thing is I remember back when her design was first accepted. It seemed like everybody thought it was a horrible idea and there was a lot of protesting. Once I saw the kind of reaction of the veterans that visited it, it really made an impact on me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

clprez wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:30 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:34 pm My 12-match winning streak came to an end with an 8(5)-8(5) tie. Prior to yesterday, my opponent's career percentage in art was .286, and she was 0 for 4 in it this season, so I 3'd the Maya Lin question (which most LLamas did anyway), and naturally she was one of the 39% of LLamas who got it right. Prior to yesterday her career percentage in Business/Econ was .324 and she hadn't gotten a question in that category correct in LL74 either (nor had she gotten a Current Events question correct this season), so I 2'd the Uber question. She got that right too. Sometimes there's a lot of luck involved in making defense look good or bad.
I have a poor art percentage and got the Maya Lin answer, too. The thing is I remember back when her design was first accepted. It seemed like everybody thought it was a horrible idea and there was a lot of protesting. Once I saw the kind of reaction of the veterans that visited it, it really made an impact on me.
For me getting Maya Lin was turning an Art question into a movies one as I recalled Siskel & Ebert liking a documentary about her from years ago.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

The other thing is, even someone who has a poor percentage in a category will usually get at least 30% or so in that category right. The question history can provide some help in predicting what those will be, but to some extent they're going to take you by surprise. Defense is hard. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So hilarious bit about the Maya Lin question that could only happen to someone running over a week behind. I did that Monday morning (obvs). Later that evening, I started catching up on J! episodes I missed due to vacay, starting with the 15th with the Vietnam War category. So remembering the LL clue saying she got the commission in 1981, I said 1981 when they asked when the memorial was dedicated.

Oops.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

It is always better, when answering a movie question, to put down the name of an actual movie rather than some words you think might be a movie title. My subconscious offered up The Conjuring, but my conscious brain insisted that was the other magic movie that came out at the same time as the Prestige. Nope, that was the Illusionist.

Instead, I put down "The Book" for reasons unknown (Thinking of the Babadook, perhaps?) and missed it.

Also, list of supermodels? Gotta be RuPaul, right? No, not right.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought for sure that I lost yesterday, but I won 5(4)-1(1). My opponent's second worst category was Food/Drink and they were slightly below average in science, but I took a chance and gave them 0 for Tobasco and 1 for octane. Turns out that they only got The Conjuring. I'm stunned that octane played as difficult as it did and that they gave me a 3 for Tobasco. There was no chance for me on tack, and I went with Michael Jackson (with little hope) for the singer.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

StevenH wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:42 am I thought for sure that I lost yesterday, but I won 5(4)-1(1). My opponent's second worst category was Food/Drink and they were slightly below average in science, but I took a chance and gave them 0 for Tobasco and 1 for octane. Turns out that they only got The Conjuring. I'm stunned that octane played as difficult as it did and that they gave me a 3 for Tobasco. There was no chance for me on tack, and I went with Michael Jackson (with little hope) for the singer.
I thought for sure that I lost yesterday but I had what must be a rare 5(2) - 1(2) victory. My opponent gave me 3 points for Irrawaddy, which is understandable in light of its get rate, but he seemingly didn't take into account that geography is my 3rd-best category and that I had been 9 for 10 in it this season going into MD23. I was also surprised that my opponent gave me a zero on Tabasco (which I missed), given that Food/Drink is my third-worst category (.383 lifetime now). Admittedly I wrote yesterday that an opponent's get rate in a category is not a foolproof predictor of how they'll perform on any given question.

Like StevenH, I was surprised at how hard octane played; and also like StevenH, I had no chance on "tack." My guess on that one was "equipage," which it turns out has nothing to do with the question but is at least is equine-related. And DHKendall and I agreed, when discussing the questions after we had both submitted for our respective matches, that "equipage" is a cool word. :D

My guess on the music question was Milli Vanilli becuse of the lip-syncing in the video. :) I know the song "Freedom" very well -- I used to hear it at karaoke all the time -- but I don't think I've ever seen the video for it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:06 am My opponent gave me 3 points for Irrawaddy, which is understandable in light of its get rate, but he seemingly didn't take into account that geography is my 3rd-best category and that I had been 9 for 10 in it this season going into MD23.
I'm really surprised that one played so hard.

I lost 7(5)-5(4). My opponent correctly assigned three points to "The Conjuring" which I've never heard of. I also missed the music question by guessing Madonna (was thinking of the video for "Vogue"). She got that one and earned three points for it. Of the players I track only a single person got "The Conjuring."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Not a great match day for me with just 1 right for The Conjuring and a tumble out of the promotion zone

I'm a horror fan, so this one was a gimme. Good film but the Annabelle spin-off is ridiculous. The first one was unwatchable but the second one got better reviews, haven't seen it yet

Also went with Ru Paul but deep down I knew it was wrong
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:44 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:06 am My opponent gave me 3 points for Irrawaddy, which is understandable in light of its get rate, but he seemingly didn't take into account that geography is my 3rd-best category and that I had been 9 for 10 in it this season going into MD23.
I'm really surprised that one played so hard.

I lost 7(5)-5(4). My opponent correctly assigned three points to "The Conjuring" which I've never heard of. I also missed the music question by guessing Madonna (was thinking of the video for "Vogue"). She got that one and earned three points for it. Of the players I track only a single person got "The Conjuring."
I had literally never heard of that river. I guess I'm not surprised, but more saddened/feeling old that George Michael played so hard. That was a pretty iconic video at the time.
Twitter: @jfrumkin