Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:24 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:12 am
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:04 am
Did much better this season than last - 79 TCA as of MD24, compared to 65 in LL73. Do others find this season played easier?
It has been harder for me.
81 TCA last season for me and 86 this season not counting day 25. The Archive has one hit for Halt & Catch Fire: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

I find it's easier to keep up with these recent shows when I've seen every episode. ;)
Definitely harder for me, despite my ranking. I need 3 right just to tie my 2nd-worst TCA, but it looks like it's harder for everyone else, too, as I've only had 63 CAA which is a whopping 17 below my career average. That more than anything is why I'm getting promoted ... for one season again ... and then I'll get curb-stomped back to C. :)

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm sure most of you know this, but it's something I only learned fairly recently. Indira Gandhi is Jawaharlal Nehru's daughter and is not related to Mohandas Gandhi, even by marriage.

Schliemann
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Schliemann »

trying for the first time (and praying in direction of yeezus) to hit for the LL triple crown of leading my rundle (A Highland) in PTS, TCA and DE. here goes!

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Schliemann wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 pm
trying for the first time (and praying in direction of yeezus) to hit for the LL triple crown of leading my rundle (A Highland) in PTS, TCA and DE. here goes!
I'm trying not to get a rock.

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

alietr wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:47 pm
Schliemann wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 pm
I'm trying not to get a rock.
Unless it's this kind of rock:

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I am currently on top of the Piedmont Sandra leaderboards, .003 ahead of #2. I hope I can hold on! This is the highest my DE has ever been.
I also feel very fortunate to be the only person in the rundle in the top ten of both Sandra and Maso.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

teapot37 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:38 pm
I am currently on top of the Piedmont Sandra leaderboards, .003 ahead of #2. I hope I can hold on! This is the highest my DE has ever been.
I also feel very fortunate to be the only person in the rundle in the top ten of both Sandra and Maso.
My lifetime DE is .697. This season? .507. That's 4 standard deviations away. I have no idea what the hell happened.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:42 pm
teapot37 wrote:
My lifetime DE is .697. This season? .507. That's 4 standard deviations away. I have no idea what the hell happened.
Entering day 25 my DE is .679 in main Rundle and .679 in the private rundle... Seeing how random DE is, the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

Speaking of the private jboardie "Rundle in the Jundle" - congratulations to teapot37 who has the championship locked up! Thanks again to KimberlinM for setting it up.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

alietr wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:42 pm
teapot37 wrote:
I think I stole it from you. I'm up from .641 to .724 this season (which is admittedly a much smaller jump, but still). My career average is .660, greatly enhanced by a .795 my sophomore season.

My theory is that the early part of this season played hard, and I correctly identified that. My big issue ALWAYS with defense is figuring out if a question is difficult, or not so much, just something I don't know but probably should.

clprez

Post by clprez »

I think I'm having an average season for me, and I'm in 10th place, but it feels really good because I am on an 8 match unbeaten streak, and on the previous two ties I had one less correct answer than my opponent.

The season before I was relegated my DE was horrible and I sank to last place in the middle of the season and stayed there. It's so frustrating to lose over and over when getting more answers correct. I hope to never repeat that season.

Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

I found this season harder that usual. Had my lowest TCA in a while in my first go-round in B Magnolia, so I'm happy to be staying at B for next season.

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Well, after all of that angst about falling below the promotion level, I actually won 7(4)-3(2) yesterday, ending LAWhitlock's 13 match winning streak. The win enabled me to tie LAWhitlock for the most points in the Laguna D rundle, although she held the tiebreaker. Still, it was cool to finish tied for first in points in a rundle. I will be promoted to C League.

However, for the second time this week, I bought into the obviously faulty theory that if a program popular with kids airs every year, everyone must know about it. I offered zero points on the "Wizard of Oz" question (I even made sure that I specifically mentioned that the broomstick was from the Wicked Witch of the West because I thought that broomstick alone would never be accepted). She missed it. Fortunately, all my faulty theory cost me ultimately was a decrease in my defensive percentage.

Also fortunately, my opponent gave me three points on the Oscar Wilde question, which I thought would never happen because my second best category is theater. While the question was clearly a literature question, Oscar Wilde was a famous playwright and some folks that work in theater as a vocation or an avocation, particularly those that have worked on Wilde plays, know the name of his lover. I offered three points on the Voyager question, hoping that my opponent, in addition to not knowing about space, didn't see the 1979 "Star Trek" movie. :lol:

I've never done an offseason mini-league before, but doing the 1960s one seems a natural for me, so I'll be there.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I finished #2 in Pacific E Division 1 with a 16-4-5 record and am headed to D rundle next season. I led the rundle in match points and match point differential, tied for first in DE and 3-pointers , finished 2nd in total correct answers and set personal records for victories, DE and match points. 4 of my wins were by forfeit, as we had several people in the rundle who forfeited frequently this season. Looking at the current makeup in the D divisions, I just hope I'll be able to hold my own...but await the challenge in November; there is a great chance my stay in D rundle will be a short one.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Ended up giving up 2 unforced points yesterday to nosedive my DE off the top of the leaderboard. They didn't get the Super Smash Bros question, which I had at 0.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I can't believe that the Picasso question played so tough. My opponent missed it and had a better than .500 average in Art.

I end the season with a win, to finish 5th in my rundle and one spot below the promotion zone. Despite the fact that I was on pace for my worst TCA ever by about 10 questions when it was around the midway point of the season, I finished with my highest standing since LL67 and a pretty average TCA for me.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

In my 22nd season of LL, I won a rundle (D Continental Div 1) for the first time. I'm headed back up to a C rundle, and now my goal will be to get promoted to B level for the first time since LL62.
StevenH wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:19 am
I can't believe that the Picasso question played so tough. My opponent missed it and had a better than .500 average in Art.
I think Picasso's blue period is very well-known, his rose period less so. I'm above .600 in art and I missed that one too. I note that for the LL74 seaason, the art questions as a group played very difficult, with an aggregate get rate of .273.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

StevenH wrote:
Right?!! I expected at least a 50% get rate there and was happy to gobble up 3 points for it

Finished the season on a high note with 3 lucky guesses (Voyager, Seoul, broomstick) and a 9(5)-4(4) victory to finish 7th in B Continental, just outside the promotion zone

No bonus points for knowing both De Profundis and Lord Alfred Douglas, eh?

My opponent was asleep at the wheel, giving me 0 for Super Smash Bros when I have one of the lowest games/sport scores in the league
Last edited by morbeedo on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

StevenH wrote:
The Picasso question?!?! The Wizard of Oz question was 52! I was predicting low 90s on that! How can people possibly not know that???

And my DE ends at a whopping .486 (my lowest ever by 123 points) and my lowest TCA in 10 seasons. Just barely missed relegation after being near the top of the rundle early in the season. I think I need a rest. My arm's sore, Coach.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:00 am
The Picasso question?!?! The Wizard of Oz question was 52! I was predicting low 90s on that! How can people possibly not know that???
It's reminiscent of the Jack & the Beanstalk clue earlier in the season. If you haven't seen The Wizard of Oz for many years, it's easy to have forgotten this detail.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

georgespelvin wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:25 am
I offered three points on the Voyager question, hoping that my opponent, in addition to not knowing about space, didn't see the 1979 "Star Trek" movie. :lol:
Count me in the group of people who got Voyager almost specifically because of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It certainly helped me know the timing in the question worked.
Twitter: @jfrumkin