Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by KellyLasiter »

jfrumkin wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:17 am
georgespelvin wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:25 am
I offered three points on the Voyager question, hoping that my opponent, in addition to not knowing about space, didn't see the 1979 "Star Trek" movie. :lol:
Count me in the group of people who got Voyager almost specifically because of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It certainly helped me know the timing in the question worked.
I facepalmed when I saw it was Voyager; it was obvious in hindsight, but my head wasn't really in the game yesterday. I put Galileo. I lucked into a tie, though, and officially stayed in second place and am indeed headed to B rundle. Woot woot! :D

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Most of my seasons previous have been in D so I was apprehensive for being in C this season, I figured it’d be the same as last time I was in C (my only other time) where the universe quickly noticed its error and swiftly sent me back to D for the next several seasons. This time however, I fared pretty well, finishing 5th in what I (and many others) thought was a hard season! And congrats to Mark Barrett for finishing two places ahead of me and getting promoted to B next season! (I may have dodged a bullet there).

I won my game today primarily because I got the geography question wrong. (I know, shocker!). In fairness, recognizing skylines isn’t a forte (although I was close with Tokyo!). I was assigned 0 for it (I don’t blame them, I’d’ve done the same) which left 1 for the film question, which I got. Had they used the 0 on film instead it would’ve been a tie. (Our gets and points assigned on said gets were identical save for the last question)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Barely avoided relegation for the second time. Still not sure if being in B is a fluke or not. :lol:

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

KellyLasiter wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:24 am
I lucked into a tie, though, and officially stayed in second place and am indeed headed to B rundle. Woot woot! :D
Be careful of what you wish for ...

KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

alietr wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:51 am
KellyLasiter wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:24 am
I lucked into a tie, though, and officially stayed in second place and am indeed headed to B rundle. Woot woot! :D
Be careful of what you wish for ...
Oh, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get pasted. :lol:

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Well, lost my last 3 matches of the season to go from 4th to 11th in B Midland. Even one win in that time would have been enough to get promoted. Hard to get past having the 2nd highest CAA in the rundle.

Given the relative tough schedule, though, I actually thought I did well. My TCA was up 11 questions and defense was up 10 percentage points from last season. I will take that as a small victory and get ready for the Mini Leagues.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:08 am
alietr wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:00 am
The Picasso question?!?! The Wizard of Oz question was 52! I was predicting low 90s on that! How can people possibly not know that???
It's reminiscent of the Jack & the Beanstalk clue earlier in the season. If you haven't seen The Wizard of Oz for many years, it's easy to have forgotten this detail.
That was me. It's probably been 30 years since I've seen the movie and I guess that part just never stuck with me.

Unrelated, is there any reason why I should know what the Seoul skyline looks like? I really don't see anything that makes it special.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:26 am
Unrelated, is there any reason why I should know what the Seoul skyline looks like? I really don't see anything that makes it special.
I had to piece through that one. Let's see ... lots of new skyscrapers, mountains in the back. Gulf countries or Far East. No, none of the Gulf countries would have mountains in the background. Riyadh? No, not populous enough. Tokyo? No, doesn't look like that? Singapore? No mountains, so eliminate that. Beijing? Doesn't look like it, though. Seoul? Hmm ... could be. I got nothing else, let's go with Seoul.

ETA: I originally thought of Sao Paulo, and then I smacked myself and said "Brasilia!"

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:53 am
I note that for the LL74 seaason, the art questions as a group played very difficult, with an aggregate get rate of .273.
The Literature questions are what got me this season. I went 4/12, despite Lit being my 4th best category.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:55 am
econgator wrote:
I had to piece through that one. Let's see ... lots of new skyscrapers, mountains in the back. Gulf countries or Far East. No, none of the Gulf countries would have mountains in the background. Riyadh? No, not populous enough. Tokyo? No, doesn't look like that? Singapore? No mountains, so eliminate that. Beijing? Doesn't look like it, though. Seoul? Hmm ... could be. I got nothing else, let's go with Seoul.

ETA: I originally thought of Sao Paulo, and then I smacked myself and said "Brasilia!"
I followed the same line of reasoning but came up with Taipei instead, recalling that Taiwan is fairly mountainous. Apparently, flying into Incheon (which isn't in Seoul, I realize) doesn't help with identifying the Seoul skyline.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:01 pm
alietr wrote:
econgator wrote:

I followed the same line of reasoning but came up with Taipei instead, recalling that Taiwan is fairly mountainous. Apparently, flying into Incheon (which isn't in Seoul, I realize) doesn't help with identifying the Seoul skyline.
Boy, am I glad that I didn't think of Taipei! Not that it would have changed the results, unfortunately.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Thus concludes my weirdest LL season to date. My finish (3rd in A Cont) ties my best result ever, while my TCA was my lowest yet. Congratulations to No. 2 finisher ElendilPickle and future TOCer Jason Sterlacci, who won the Rundle.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Woof wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:09 pm
Congratulations to No. 2 finisher ElendilPickle and future TOCer Jason Sterlacci, who won the Rundle.
Technically, isn't Jason a past TOC'er? We just don't know what happened yet in his TOC. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

alietr wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:07 pm
Woof wrote:
alietr wrote:
econgator wrote:

Boy, am I glad that I didn't think of Taipei! Not that it would have changed the results, unfortunately.
Originally had Seoul, then convinced myself that the big tower was the Taipei 101 tower. Oops.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

teapot37 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:23 pm
alietr wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:07 pm
Woof wrote:
alietr wrote:
econgator wrote:

Originally had Seoul, then convinced myself that the big tower was the Taipei 101 tower. Oops.
Not that I got this one right, but Taipei 101 has a very distinctive appearance.

Also, China would dispute a reference to Taipei as an "international capital city." :)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKCN1C20YF
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:53 am
StevenH wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:19 am
I can't believe that the Picasso question played so tough. My opponent missed it and had a better than .500 average in Art.
I think Picasso's blue period is very well-known, his rose period less so. I'm above .600 in art and I missed that one too. I note that for the LL74 seaason, the art questions as a group played very difficult, with an aggregate get rate of .273.
Now that you mention it, I also probably knew this one because of theater. I believe that both periods are referenced in Steve Martin's "Picasso at the Lapin Agile", which I've done twice.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:34 pm

Not that I got this one right, but Taipei 101 has a very distinctive appearance.

Is it wrong to say it reminds me of the shape of a bunch of Chinese takeout boxes stacked on top of each other? :)
hbomb1947 wrote:
Also, China would dispute a reference to Taipei as an "international capital city." :)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKCN1C20YF
What is an "international" capital city anyways? My mind interpreted that as "stretching over two countries", which there aren't many of (and they're all arguable cases: Rome, Jerusalem, Nicosia). You could say "it's a capital other than your own", but really? First off, you really should have a rough idea what your own capital city looks like, secondly, in Learned League, there are players from all over.

Wouldn't "national capital city" just suffice?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Re: Seoul--I was sure the skinny tower in the background was a minaret. A tacky one, but one nonetheless. That led to a whole bunch of free associating that eventually ended in a guess of Jakarta. <sigh>

hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:49 pm
hbomb1947 wrote:

Is it wrong to say it reminds me of the shape of a bunch of Chinese takeout boxes stacked on top of each other? :)
Many have made that comparison. :) It was more designed to be evocative of a pagoda, or a stack of ancient Chinese money boxes (which were apparently a thing).

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The Seoul question was just mean. I'm pretty well versed in city skylines, but couldn't suss that one out.

My season ending thud continued to MD 25. Five losses in the last six days dropped me from my high water mark of 8th down to 19th.