Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

cmp146 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:37 pm
Did any other llamas notice how awesome the new-and-improved player tracker is for the minileagues? It is very sweet!
It looks the same as what I was seeing in the last round of mini leagues unless I'm missing something?

I had a surprising victory in the '60s ML yesterday. My opponent and I both got 2 correct, but he assigned me 3 for Cultural Revolution and I got that. We both got the VW Bug one right and he got Francis Gary Powers. I'm sure I'm not the only one who answered Roger Maris for that one, which was hilariously wrong!

KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:39 am
cmp146 wrote:
Did any other llamas notice how awesome the new-and-improved player tracker is for the minileagues? It is very sweet!
It looks the same as what I was seeing in the last round of mini leagues unless I'm missing something?

I had a surprising victory in the '60s ML yesterday. My opponent and I both got 2 correct, but he assigned me 3 for Cultural Revolution and I got that. We both got the VW Bug one right and he got Francis Gary Powers. I'm sure I'm not the only one who answered Roger Maris for that one, which was hilariously wrong!
I also thought it was a baseball player, but named a different one. :lol: Once I saw the answer, I was like "Oh...that. Duh!" We learned about it in school and everything!

I lost 3 times yesterday. Womp womp.

TCA-wise, I'm doing better in Middle East than either of the others, though it's not reflected in the standings. I think I'm syncing better with that writing style than the others.

acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
cmp146 wrote:

I went with a WAG on Wilt Chamberlain, so I'm there with you.

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
cmp146 wrote:

My first thought was Roger Maris. Correct time frame, but quickly realized that couldn't be right. Rudolph Abel? Who? I would certainly at least recognize who Maris was traded for. (And I didn't think it was a 1-1 trade anyway... which it wasn't.) Then I thought more about who gets "traded." Aha!!

If MLs had BWAs, I'd vote for that one hands-down. BWA and MCWA for the same answer!

"Couples" is vaguely recognized, though no way was I gonna get that one. (5% get rate!) I knew it was wrong, but I answered Nabokov/Lolita. (New England, but I thought it was 1950s... and I'm not sure that pedophilia is hardly scandalous now.) Curious what others guessed.

For those interested, though Something's Got To Give was never finished, a fair number of scenes were completed and somewhat edited. On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVfKpx-aSRk Looks like it would have been a real stinker. I don't know about Dean Martin, but George Cukor was probably relieved that the project couldn't be completed.

And further.... another remake of the original My Favorite Wife was made in 1963: Move Over Darling with Doris Day, James Garner and Polly Bergen. The original is by far the best, though screwball comedies where Cary Grant overacts can really grate on me, e.g. Bringing Up Baby, Arsenic and Old Lace, Monkey Business. Otherwise I loved him as an actor. When he toned it down a little, his comedies were quite wonderful: His Girl Friday, The Philadelphia Story, Holiday.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

RandyG wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:16 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
cmp146 wrote:

My first thought was Roger Maris. Correct time frame, but quickly realized that couldn't be right. Rudolph Abel? Who? I would certainly at least recognize who Maris was traded for. (And I didn't think it was a 1-1 trade anyway... which it wasn't.) Then I thought more about who gets "traded." Aha!!
How soon we forget 3 months ago... http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5713

KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

RandyG wrote:

"Couples" is vaguely recognized, though no way was I gonna get that one. (5% get rate!) I knew it was wrong, but I answered Nabokov/Lolita. (New England, but I thought it was 1950s... and I'm not sure that pedophilia is hardly scandalous now.) Curious what others guessed.
I tried Peyton Place, though I blanked on the author and just put in some BS. Turns out it was published in the 50s anyway.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote:
I'm an Updike fan, but "Couples" never even entered my mind. My initial thought was "Fear of Flying" but I thought that was written in the '70s, so I said "Valley of the Dolls" which it turns out is from the '60s. It was wrong but seemed like a pretty good guess.

KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:30 am
RandyG wrote:
I'm an Updike fan, but "Couples" never even entered my mind. My initial thought was "Fear of Flying" but I thought that was written in the '70s, so I said "Valley of the Dolls" which it turns out is from the '60s. It was wrong but seemed like a pretty good guess.
I was pretty sure Valley of the Dolls was set elsewhere, but I was sorely tempted to submit it just because I remembered both title and author in that case. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I got to Updike, but I had NHO Couples The best I could come up with was Rabbit is Rich, even though I sort of knew it came along too late and I couldn't see how its title could have been regarded as scandalous. I'm not surprised that question had a 5% get rate. :)

Count me as one of the Roger Maris answerers.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Volante wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:19 am
RandyG wrote:
How soon we forget 3 months ago... http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5713
I can't imagine I would have gotten that FJ from the clue, especially not in 30 seconds. In my mind, (Rudolph Abel + traded) >>> (Rudolph Abel + American + Germany's Glienicke Bridge + Feb. 1962)

Ah.... I just noticed that the LL question has an error. The trade took place in 1962 (as stated in the FJ), not 1960. That would have probably knocked out Roger Maris (and possibly other answers) to many LLamas.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

KellyLasiter wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:19 am
RandyG wrote:

I tried Peyton Place, though I blanked on the author and just put in some BS. Turns out it was published in the 50s anyway.
Same thought process here. The only other '60s novel that came to mind was Portnoy's Complaint, but I was fairly certain that Roth set it in NYC. Oh, and I dismissed "Sex and the Single Girl" as non-fiction and also probably set in NYC.

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I'm getting totally destroyed in Middle East and '60s. I probably shouldn't have even played, but part of me is a glutton for punishment. The first days I had maybe a clue on 2 out of the 24 questions, and somehow lucked into 4 right over all of them. Doesn't help that I'm playing against a bunch of A rundlers the first 2 days.

2-0 in Movies though. :)
Now swimming in the J! pool.

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:30 am

Count me for going with "Valley of the Dolls". I was actually very proud of that answer. Never heard of "Couples".

I knew the Gary Powers answer--my opponent gave me a three for it and I still only managed a tie. I've actually known it since the actual 1960s (I was a big history buff even in my "single year" years). That said, I could also have known it from either the Tom Hanks movie "Bridge of Spies" from a couple of years ago or from the Jules Feiffer play "A Bad Friend", which I was in. Abel is a character in "A Bad Friend".

Ironically, after surviving the U-2 crash, Francis Gary Powers eventually died in a traffic helicopter crash in Los Angeles doing traffic reports for a radio station.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

Kicking myself for missing Julia Child. Those French ladies sounded familiar - I have the cook book and read the memoir a few years ago. Ended up with a 0(0)-0(0) tie- a first!

Chaplin was obvious to me but I’ve spent a lot of time watching him

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OK, how could the MCWA on the Julia Child question have been "Spock"? What would make 11% of the contestants answer him for a question looking for an American author? That's more than weird in my book.

Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

alietr wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:53 am
OK, how could the MCWA on the Julia Child question have been "Spock"? What would make 11% of the contestants answer him for a question looking for an American author? That's more than weird in my book.
Dr. Benjamin Spock, not pointy ears Spock. I nearly WAG'd Spock myself, even though I was fairly sure his book was much earlier (1946 as it turns out). I thought my eventual guess of Rachel Carson had a decent shot, but alas my abysmal food and drink knowledge strikes again.

KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

morbeedo wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:32 am
Kicking myself for missing Julia Child. Those French ladies sounded familiar - I have the cook book and read the memoir a few years ago. Ended up with a 0(0)-0(0) tie- a first!

Chaplin was obvious to me but I’ve spent a lot of time watching him
I put Betty Friedan, WTF?

I got my first WOOOOF win yesterday in that mini-league. :lol:

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Vintsanity wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 am
alietr wrote:
Dr. Benjamin Spock, not pointy ears Spock. I nearly WAG'd Spock myself, even though I was fairly sure his book was much earlier (1946 as it turns out). I thought my eventual guess of Rachel Carson had a decent shot, but alas my abysmal food and drink knowledge strikes again.
D'oh! (I went with Steinem.)

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Mission accomplished! I've got a win in all three MLs. (And 3 in Movies as well! /just jinxed it /will lose horribly now)

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:30 am
Vintsanity wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 am
alietr wrote:
D'oh! (I went with Steinem.)
And I had a similar thought, guessing Helen Gurley Brown (although I didn't think she had any co-authors for Sex and the Single Girl -- and she didn't).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide