Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8458
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Bamaman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:38 pm

I got it right but was also unaware it is still used. But I had no other idea so I put it down. Glad they found a way to save lives with it after it destroyed so many.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3329
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:29 pm

RandyG wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:54 am

You may have missed that Q, Woof, but at least you got the Rolling Stones question (MD7Q5) correct:
Fill in the missing name, circa 1965: Jagger, Richards, Watts, Wyman, ________
and also the Woodstock question (MD3Q2):
In what New York town did the Woodstock Festival actually take place?
I almost put down Yasgur's farm for the Woodstock one but RTFQ again :mrgreen: As for the Stones question, I'd have had to burn quite a bit of vinyl contained within pasteboard covers bearing Brian Jones's smirking mug had I missed that one... BTW, good luck in the Championships!

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1726
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Woof wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:29 pm
RandyG wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:54 am

You may have missed that Q, Woof, but at least you got the Rolling Stones question (MD7Q5) correct:
Fill in the missing name, circa 1965: Jagger, Richards, Watts, Wyman, ________
and also the Woodstock question (MD3Q2):
In what New York town did the Woodstock Festival actually take place?
I almost put down Yasgur's farm for the Woodstock one but RTFQ again :mrgreen: As for the Stones question, I'd have had to burn quite a bit of vinyl contained within pasteboard covers bearing Brian Jones's smirking mug had I missed that one... BTW, good luck in the Championships!
Indeed, good luck to us all!

Image

I came upon a child of God
He was walking along the road
And I asked him, where are you going
And this he told me...
I'm going on down to Yasgur's farm
I'm going to join in a rock 'n' roll band
I'm going to camp out on the land
I'm gonna try and get my soul free

We are stardust
We are golden
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by reddpen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:27 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 am
With a surprise second place finish, I made the finals of JI: Movies! Another happy day :)
That's what I thought, till I saw the finals questions. Ouch! (Hope that isn't giving too much away for the "no posts about today's questions, ever!" sheriffs.)

I'd have done much better in the '60s final, which I missed by a point. Fwiw, the two winners of Group 115 had three or four fewer CAA than anyone else in the group.

Also took third in my Middle East group but had zero shot at the finals since MD 9... and the two winners of that group performed awfully well.

Best of luck to anyone playing a final.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:02 pm

reddpen wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:27 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 am
With a surprise second place finish, I made the finals of JI: Movies! Another happy day :)
That's what I thought, till I saw the finals questions. Ouch! (Hope that isn't giving too much away for the "no posts about today's questions, ever!" sheriffs.)
Yes they were brutal. I got just 3 right and finished 260/366, but hey! I made the finals!

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5313
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Volante » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:54 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:02 pm
reddpen wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:27 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 am
With a surprise second place finish, I made the finals of JI: Movies! Another happy day :)
That's what I thought, till I saw the finals questions. Ouch! (Hope that isn't giving too much away for the "no posts about today's questions, ever!" sheriffs.)
Yes they were brutal. I got just 3 right and finished 260/366, but hey! I made the finals!
Solid 50%th percentile for me, but I got the Garland question! Proud of that get (and I didn't use Singin' in the Rain in my answer either.)

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Volante wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:54 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:02 pm
reddpen wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:27 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 am
With a surprise second place finish, I made the finals of JI: Movies! Another happy day :)
That's what I thought, till I saw the finals questions. Ouch! (Hope that isn't giving too much away for the "no posts about today's questions, ever!" sheriffs.)
Yes they were brutal. I got just 3 right and finished 260/366, but hey! I made the finals!
Solid 50%th percentile for me, but I got the Garland question! Proud of that get (and I didn't use Singin' in the Rain in my answer either.)
Congrats! I'm embarrassed to miss "be a clown" - went with "that's entertainment" and what else did I put? doesn't matter - it was also wrong

User avatar
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions
Posts: 808
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by georgespelvin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 am

Well, I certainly fell back to Earth in the 1960s finale. I finished 212th out of 314 with five right (my usual score, but this time there were 12 questions). I would have finished about 40 places higher if I had been confident enough on my Shostakovich answer to make it a money question, but instead I squandered one of them on a wrong answer (Carlos for number 2). Ah well, this is probably what I have to look forward to when I move back up to C League next month. :cry:

P.S. I did so badly that I didn't even get an e-mail notification that the results were up. I just looked when I read the comments here about the movie ML.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3329
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:27 am

georgespelvin wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 am
Well, I certainly fell back to Earth in the 1960s finale. I finished 212th out of 314 with five right (my usual score, but this time there were 12 questions). I would have finished about 40 places higher if I had been confident enough on my Shostakovich answer to make it a money question, but instead I squandered one of them on a wrong answer (Carlos for number 2). Ah well, this is probably what I have to look forward to when I move back up to C League next month. :cry:

P.S. I did so badly that I didn't even get an e-mail notification that the results were up. I just looked when I read the comments here about the movie ML.
You and me both. After winning my group, I fell back to earth precipitously, finishing below you at 227/314. Though I got 6 right, I moneyed rather poorly. On #2, I saw composer and synthesizer and 1960s and went for Karl-Heinz Stockhausen, who I'd always considered to be the pioneer of the synthesizer. :oops: NHO the actual answer, I must confess.

Congrats to the many boardies who finished towards the top (yes, I'm talking about you again, Randy). TomKBaltimoreBoy took first while OSC got second und so weiter. CorriereC, who finished second to me in my group, finished in 32nd place.

ouachiouat
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by ouachiouat » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:46 pm

I bombed both the 60s and movies champ rounds. I fell asleep doing some schoolwork that night, and my wife woke me up at 11:30 to go to bed. It was then I remembered I qualified for the finals. I ended up submitting while my eyes were struggling to stay open and did so in about 5 mins. The results weren't pretty--but wouldn't have been much better had I thought about the questions. But let's be honest, I got lucky in even qualifying for both. And hey, somebody's gotta be a place filler, right?

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other
Posts: 741
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by bomtr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Woof wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:27 am
georgespelvin wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 am
Well, I certainly fell back to Earth in the 1960s finale. I finished 212th out of 314 with five right (my usual score, but this time there were 12 questions). I would have finished about 40 places higher if I had been confident enough on my Shostakovich answer to make it a money question, but instead I squandered one of them on a wrong answer (Carlos for number 2). Ah well, this is probably what I have to look forward to when I move back up to C League next month. :cry:

P.S. I did so badly that I didn't even get an e-mail notification that the results were up. I just looked when I read the comments here about the movie ML.
You and me both. After winning my group, I fell back to earth precipitously, finishing below you at 227/314. Though I got 6 right, I moneyed rather poorly. On #2, I saw composer and synthesizer and 1960s and went for Karl-Heinz Stockhausen, who I'd always considered to be the pioneer of the synthesizer. :oops: NHO the actual answer, I must confess.

Congrats to the many boardies who finished towards the top (yes, I'm talking about you again, Randy). TomKBaltimoreBoy took first while OSC got second und so weiter. CorriereC, who finished second to me in my group, finished in 32nd place.
Speaking of moneying poorly... I managed ten right out of 12 and finished in 78th (!) place. 44 of those in front of me answered fewer questions correctly. I had no chance at #2 and didn't know Gimbel's second store, the two most frequently missed, and that was key; that and not moneying the barefoot guy, which of course I did. I had insufficient confidence in Shostakovich and Feiffer, which would have helped. 60s was the only ML i played, although I intended to and wished I had played the Middle East.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3329
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:50 pm

bomtr wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Speaking of moneying poorly... I managed ten right out of 12 and finished in 78th (!) place. 44 of those in front of me answered fewer questions correctly. I had no chance at #2 and didn't know Gimbel's second store, the two most frequently missed, and that was key; that and not moneying the barefoot guy, which of course I did. I had insufficient confidence in Shostakovich and Feiffer, which would have helped. 60s was the only ML i played, although I intended to and wished I had played the Middle East.
Ditto on virtually every front, LLama-daddy, except of course our get rates and finishes :mrgreen:

User avatar
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Troydozzy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:38 pm

Congrats to the boardies doing well in the 1Ds! I'm crashing and burning on nearly every one. I've overthought so many questions since the regular season has ended, but I'm having a lot of fun watching others kick butt.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1217
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by boson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Troydozzy wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:38 pm
Congrats to the boardies doing well in the 1Ds! I'm crashing and burning on nearly every one. I've overthought so many questions since the regular season has ended, but I'm having a lot of fun watching others kick butt.
Indeed. Does TomK win everything, or does it just seem that way? congrats!

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4148
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:16 am

boson wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:23 pm
Troydozzy wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:38 pm
Congrats to the boardies doing well in the 1Ds! I'm crashing and burning on nearly every one. I've overthought so many questions since the regular season has ended, but I'm having a lot of fun watching others kick butt.
Indeed. Does TomK win everything, or does it just seem that way? congrats!
It's uncanny, really. His career goes all the way back to 2012 when the number of players in the league was about 10% of what it is now, yet prior to 2017 he had only won 4 career one days. This year he's come out on top TWELVE times, with league membership reaching all time highs every season. It's truly mind-boggling.

chris311fan
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: South Florida, United States

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by chris311fan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Blue Lion wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:16 pm
zerobandwidth wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:13 am
As a bystander, I just came here to say that what's going on here is both fascinating and intimidating. Carry on. :geek:
If you're interested in joining Learned League, I can refer you as a member for next season. Send me a private message if you're interested.

Oops! Badgerfellow beat me to it. Great minds think alike.
BlueLion, I would love to take you up on this offer. I've been dying to give LL a shot.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm

chris311fan wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:45 pm
BlueLion, I would love to take you up on this offer. I've been dying to give LL a shot.
Will do. Please PM me with your name and email address, and I'll put in the referral for you. Good luck!

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by sarisson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:13 pm

Loved the Blazing Saddles 1DS, although I spent my s***load of dimes on some of the easier questions and missed only the one about the s***load of dimes. Harrumph! Harrumph!
One-time swimmer

chris311fan
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: South Florida, United States

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by chris311fan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:44 am

Blue Lion wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm
chris311fan wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:45 pm
BlueLion, I would love to take you up on this offer. I've been dying to give LL a shot.
Will do. Please PM me with your name and email address, and I'll put in the referral for you. Good luck!
Unfortunately, I have not unlocked the ability to reply to your PM. Name : Chris Konicki email: Jetsfankonicki@gmail.com

thanks very much

you may reach out to me via that email as well!

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8494
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by dhkendall » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 am

chris311fan wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:44 am
Blue Lion wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm
chris311fan wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:45 pm
BlueLion, I would love to take you up on this offer. I've been dying to give LL a shot.
Will do. Please PM me with your name and email address, and I'll put in the referral for you. Good luck!
Unfortunately, I have not unlocked the ability to reply to your PM. Name : Chris Konicki email: Jetsfankonicki@gmail.com

thanks very much

you may reach out to me via that email as well!
You have PM capability now.

(And I’ll assume that’s New York Jets, not Winnipeg Jets. :( )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], dapedDep and 12 guests