Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:01 am Although in my defense Bridgestone's Wikipedia page says that it is involved with Formula 1 racing, so that may be why I thought of it.
To be fair, the haven't been since 2010. Pirelli is the sole tire supplier now.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

StevenH wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:01 am I once again came so tantalizingly close to my first 9(6). Firestone and Goodyear were my first two thoughts on the tire question, and I was going to go with Goodyear since I really didn't think that it was the former. But then I thought of Bridgestone and thought that I remembered it being associated with racing, so I went with it. It sure would have helped if I had 1) remembered that the Goodyear Blimp is a thing and is associated with sporting events, and 2) actually knew that Bridgestone is a Japanese company! Although in my defense Bridgestone's Wikipedia page says that it is involved with Formula 1 racing, so that may be why I thought of it.

I got the win, but surprisingly, my opponent knew Cossi Fan Tutte even with Classical Music being their third worst category. I was also surprised that Barney Miller played as hard as it did.
I was vaguely aware that Barney Miller was a thing, and even that it was a cop show, but couldn't have placed it in space or time. I so need to watch a bunch of reruns on MeTV or something; 70s TV is a bottomless black hole for me, and it keeps coming up in LL.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:36 am
StevenH wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:01 am Although in my defense Bridgestone's Wikipedia page says that it is involved with Formula 1 racing, so that may be why I thought of it.
And was my guess yesterday, because Goodyear seemed too obvious. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Barney Miller was a great show. I don't really remember watching the original broadcasts, but it was a syndication staple in the '80s.

I expected it to be one of yesterday's most difficult questions simply because people younger than about 40 are unlikely to have ever seen it.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:49 am
econgator wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:36 am
And was my guess yesterday, because Goodyear seemed too obvious. :D
I cycled through a number of options for that one. I dismissed Pirelli as being too European for NASCAR, then went with Goodyear, but changed it at the last minute because (of course) I felt that it was too obvious. While it had no effect on me in my main Rundle (my opponent forfeited) it did permit Teapot to leapfrog me in our private Rundle.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went to a bar trivia night Monday and one of the questions was to name Mondale's running mate in 1984. So it was helpful to have her fresh on my mind when I saw yesterday's questions, though I'd have likely gotten it anyway.

I want my opponent from yesterday to do my defense every day. I got three points for Barney Miller and was assigned just one for the Mozart question, with classical music being my worst category and TV being near the top.

I agree it was probably a better question for the older crowd. I saw it a lot reruns in the 1980s but not much since.

I pulled out a 8(5)-1(2) victory yesterday to move into second place. There are actually five of us tied for second with two more people just two points behind. The top six escape the basement, so it should be a close race to the finish.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

KellyLasiter wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:49 am I was vaguely aware that Barney Miller was a thing, and even that it was a cop show, but couldn't have placed it in space or time. I so need to watch a bunch of reruns on MeTV or something; 70s TV is a bottomless black hole for me, and it keeps coming up in LL.
I somehow feel I should be at an advantage for the pop culture questions, as Thorsten is my age (literally, he is only 12 days older than me!). Stats don't quite bear that out (Thorsten seems to do good to asking questions he himself has not experienced), but I don't feel that that fact has hurt me either.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Yesterday was a good example of why it might pay off to look deeper into an opponent's record on a category. Fortunately, it worked in my favor. My opponent gave me one point on the boxing question because I have a good record in Sports and Games, even though I know almost nothing about boxing, including yesterday's question. On the other hand, my opponent gave me three points on the Classical Music question, presumably because Classical Music is one of my weaker categories. However, that question was pretty much a current events question with "The Death of Klinghoffer" controversy and I got it. Still in second place in my rundle, one point behind, and now with 58 straight matches without a tie.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I went 6(5)-6(5) and 6(5)-6(5). No one thought anyone would get Adams. And they were all correct in that assumption.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I was a little worried about yesterday. Usually, getting 4 correct is good for a win in a D rundle, but I also knew that it was one of those days where it was going to be blatantly obvious to my opponent how to defend me. Sure enough they played perfect defense, but I dodged the bullet with a 4(4)-2(1) win. I should have been able to make the leap to The Go-Go's by remembering the song "We Got the Beat," but it didn't get on my radar from Beauty and the Beat. And there was no chance for me on Diner.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:12 am I went 6(5)-6(5) and 6(5)-6(5). No one thought anyone would get Adams. And they were all correct in that assumption.
I'm not sure I would have gotten Adams, but there was a chance if I bothered to RTFQ. I saw Death of Klinghoffer and my mind immediately went to Peter Sellars, as I proudly patted myself on the back. Never looked back until I face-palmed when I saw the answers. Sellars -- not Sellers, btw -- did the original staging and direction of the opera, not the composing, although I'm not sure why I even remembered that much.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

For me, the most surprising thing was that Wellington got under 50%. I figured that would be right up there in the 90s with gingivitis.

Actually, maybe the fact that naval hero Nelson was the MCWA is the most surprising. *shrug*
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 am For me, the most surprising thing was that Wellington got under 50%. I figured that would be right up there in the 90s with gingivitis.
Agreed. Not sure about 90% plus, but very surprised not even half remembered the Wellington-Waterloo connection.

I managed to get all six correct despite the classical music question. I thought the composer was the guy who shares his name with a Founding Father. It took me a while to remember which Founding Father, but I was able to pull it eventually.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 am
econgator wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 am For me, the most surprising thing was that Wellington got under 50%. I figured that would be right up there in the 90s with gingivitis.
Agreed. Not sure about 90% plus, but very surprised not even half remembered the Wellington-Waterloo connection.

I managed to get all six correct despite the classical music question. I thought the composer was the guy who shares his name with a Founding Father. It took me a while to remember which Founding Father, but I was able to pull it eventually.
For me, it was just that there are so few modern opera composers of note that it's easy to recall that John Adams is the guy who does the topical operas (Nixon in China, Death of Klinghoffer, Doctor Atomic) and Philip Glass who does the historical/literary ones (Satyagraha, Einstein on the Beach, The Trial, Akhnaten). Works for me, at least :mrgreen:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:59 am For me, it was just that there are so few modern opera composers of note that it's easy to recall that John Adams is the guy who does the topical operas (Nixon in China, Death of Klinghoffer, Doctor Atomic) and Philip Glass who does the historical/literary ones (Satyagraha, Einstein on the Beach, The Trial, Akhnaten). Works for me, at least :mrgreen:
I didn't even know Philip Glass composed any operas. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 am Agreed. Not sure about 90% plus, but very surprised not even half remembered the Wellington-Waterloo connection.
I hope no one from English Canada got that one wrong. Just about every town in Ontario I've been to has streets named "Wellington" and "Waterloo". And most have Lions Clubs.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

On Q5, I talked myself out of "quadratic equation", then my mind went blank. At the last minute, I wrote "NFL Quarterback Rating Formula". It earned me no points, but it was a Best Wrong Answer--my first in LL.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:12 am I went 6(5)-6(5) and 6(5)-6(5). No one thought anyone would get Adams. And they were all correct in that assumption.
Living in NYC probably helped me with getting Adams, since there was a lot of controversy here about the Klinghoffer opera. My conscious mind wasn't sure it was Adams, but I thought I remembered that it was. That, plus him being the only contemporary opera composer I could think of. (Like some others, I didn't know that Glass did operas, although I feel like even if I did, I would remember enough from the kerfuffle to know that he wasn't the dude behind this one.)

I actually got 3 points for the Go-Go's question, though, not for the Adams one. Given my pop music percentage, I can't say I'm surprised; but my opponent obviously didn't peruse my question history to see that '80s music is the exception to my general helplesness in that category.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

StevenH wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 am I should have been able to make the leap to The Go-Go's by remembering the song "We Got the Beat," but it didn't get on my radar from Beauty and the Beat.
Or by remembering the hit song "Vacation," since Vacation was another of the album titles given in the question.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:50 pm
StevenH wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 am I should have been able to make the leap to The Go-Go's by remembering the song "We Got the Beat," but it didn't get on my radar from Beauty and the Beat.
Or by remembering the hit song "Vacation," since Vacation was another of the album titles given in the question.
Oh wow, I didn't even notice that! Now I really can't believe that I missed that one.