Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4124
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:10 pm

classicroadster wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm
I'm not playing any of the MLs, but check each day to see the questions. For the Mideast ML, how the heck did anyone get the World Cup anthem singer as being from Lebanon? I figured (wrongly, obviously) that the anthems would be related to a country that actually qualified in the World Cup. The get rate at 46% league wide was a total shock to me.
Have not actually confirmed this but my guess was that the singer was Shakira, and somewhere in my head I thought that she might be of Lebanese descent. (I've confirmed that her parents did indeed come from Lebanon but I have not confirmed that she is singing the song, I assume it is the case though.)

I am also surprised it played as high as it did, but I have thought that about a lot of the Middle East questions.

User avatar
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by KellyLasiter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:18 pm

I recognized Shakira's voice but had forgotten her heritage. I knew it once, I swear! :lol: Hips don't lie, but sometimes my memory does.

I had a glitch yesterday morning where it showed me having zero correct answers in one of the MLs when I actually had one. I lost either way, so it didn't affect anything, and it resolved itself after about an hour, but it had me scratching my head for a bit.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5276
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by alietr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:19 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:10 pm
classicroadster wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm
I'm not playing any of the MLs, but check each day to see the questions. For the Mideast ML, how the heck did anyone get the World Cup anthem singer as being from Lebanon? I figured (wrongly, obviously) that the anthems would be related to a country that actually qualified in the World Cup. The get rate at 46% league wide was a total shock to me.
Have not actually confirmed this but my guess was that the singer was Shakira, and somewhere in my head I thought that she might be of Lebanese descent. (I've confirmed that her parents did indeed come from Lebanon but I have not confirmed that she is singing the song, I assume it is the case though.)

I am also surprised it played as high as it did, but I have thought that about a lot of the Middle East questions.
I had no clue, and just went with the country that is the most cosmopolitan and liberal (well, parts of it, anyway) where singing like that would be allowed. I was sorta surprised I was right.

User avatar
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Troydozzy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:30 pm

alietr wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:19 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:10 pm
classicroadster wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm
I'm not playing any of the MLs, but check each day to see the questions. For the Mideast ML, how the heck did anyone get the World Cup anthem singer as being from Lebanon? I figured (wrongly, obviously) that the anthems would be related to a country that actually qualified in the World Cup. The get rate at 46% league wide was a total shock to me.
Have not actually confirmed this but my guess was that the singer was Shakira, and somewhere in my head I thought that she might be of Lebanese descent. (I've confirmed that her parents did indeed come from Lebanon but I have not confirmed that she is singing the song, I assume it is the case though.)

I am also surprised it played as high as it did, but I have thought that about a lot of the Middle East questions.
I had no clue, and just went with the country that is the most cosmopolitan and liberal (well, parts of it, anyway) where singing like that would be allowed. I was sorta surprised I was right.
I remember an interview when she first became big that stated that she was from Colombian and Lebanese background, which was her explanation about the 'belly dancing' moves she did with hips don't lie.

Despite the fact that I lived in the Middle East for 10 years and teach world history, I'm in fourth in my Rundle. There are a lot of accomplished quizzers in my group, but Ragavan Ramsubramani is destroying all of us. I'm not helping myself by double guessing every answer I put in.

User avatar
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by mennoknight » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 pm

I got it right by guessing a country in the middle east without listening to the song. I'm getting brained on all of these MLs.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by sarisson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm

I beat Fritz Holznagel?! :o
I assigned the Lebanon question a 3, and it was the only one he got right. He gave me a 3-pointer on Baghdad, even though geography is my best category. I still have no 3-pointers in the 60's ML, which I suppose is historically accurate because the NBA didn't have 3-pointers at the time.
One-time swimmer

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5276
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by alietr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm

sarisson wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm
I beat Fritz Holznagel?! :o
I assigned the Lebanon question a 3, and it was the only one he got right. He gave me a 3-pointer on Baghdad, even though geography is my best category. I still have no 3-pointers in the 60's ML, which I suppose is historically accurate because the NBA didn't have 3-pointers at the time.
I'll ask -- how did you get to Baghdad on that one? I was thinking of a lot of places that had greater proximity to the actual Gulf.

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1711
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:43 pm

sarisson wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm
I still have no 3-pointers in the 60's ML, which I suppose is historically accurate because the NBA didn't have 3-pointers at the time.
The ABA did for part of that decade.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:03 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by RichmondJ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:44 pm

classicroadster wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm
I'm not playing any of the MLs, but check each day to see the questions. For the Mideast ML, how the heck did anyone get the World Cup anthem singer as being from Lebanon? I figured (wrongly, obviously) that the anthems would be related to a country that actually qualified in the World Cup. The get rate at 46% league wide was a total shock to me.
I didn't recognize Shakira's voice, and it wouldn't have helped anyway because I didn't know she was of Lebanese descent. I just decided to guess a Middle Eastern country that hadn't come up yet in the ML, and I got lucky.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by boson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:27 pm

alietr wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm
sarisson wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm
I beat Fritz Holznagel?! :o
I assigned the Lebanon question a 3, and it was the only one he got right. He gave me a 3-pointer on Baghdad, even though geography is my best category. I still have no 3-pointers in the 60's ML, which I suppose is historically accurate because the NBA didn't have 3-pointers at the time.
I'll ask -- how did you get to Baghdad on that one? I was thinking of a lot of places that had greater proximity to the actual Gulf.
I guessed Baghdad - no real hint other than thinking where a train might head from Anatolia (which meant "Turkey" to me. I see that I was largely right) that went to the "gulf region". The little emirates were a lot less important before oil, so I was left with only a few major cities, and Baghdad seemed likely.

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by sarisson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:35 pm

boson wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:27 pm
alietr wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm
I'll ask -- how did you get to Baghdad on that one? I was thinking of a lot of places that had greater proximity to the actual Gulf.
I guessed Baghdad - no real hint other than thinking where a train might head from Anatolia (which meant "Turkey" to me. I see that I was largely right) that went to the "gulf region". The little emirates were a lot less important before oil, so I was left with only a few major cities, and Baghdad seemed likely.
Same here. I didn't think it would go all the way to Kuwait (City), or Tehran.
One-time swimmer

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1197
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:50 pm

I'm not sure whether anyone posted this, but the current issue of Notre Dame Magazine contains a feature on Thorsten (ND class of 1994) and Learned League:

https://magazine.nd.edu/news/not-a-trivial-pursuit

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by dhkendall » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:09 pm

alietr wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm
sarisson wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm
I beat Fritz Holznagel?! :o
I assigned the Lebanon question a 3, and it was the only one he got right. He gave me a 3-pointer on Baghdad, even though geography is my best category. I still have no 3-pointers in the 60's ML, which I suppose is historically accurate because the NBA didn't have 3-pointers at the time.
I'll ask -- how did you get to Baghdad on that one? I was thinking of a lot of places that had greater proximity to the actual Gulf.
Same here, I actually considered Baghdad, but dismissed as it was too far away from the Gulf (and since the railroad was supposed to get the Germans to the Gulf, what were they supposed to do once it pulled into Baghdad station, get out and walk the rest of the way?)

I said Basra because it seemed like the closest Gulf port to Turkey (and what the others said about no other obvious places at the time). Checking my atlas from early September 1939 shows that Basra was a significant city of the time, with a population around 47.000, second only to Baghdad in population in Iraq.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5276
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by alietr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:33 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:09 pm

I said Basra because it seemed like the closest Gulf port to Turkey (and what the others said about no other obvious places at the time). Checking my atlas from early September 1939 shows that Basra was a significant city of the time, with a population around 47.000, second only to Baghdad in population in Iraq.
That's a seriously accurate population figure ... down to three decimal places!

User avatar
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by mcsheffrey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:14 pm

sarisson wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm
I beat Fritz Holznagel?! :o
I assigned the Lebanon question a 3, and it was the only one he got right. He gave me a 3-pointer on Baghdad, even though geography is my best category. I still have no 3-pointers in the 60's ML, which I suppose is historically accurate because the NBA didn't have 3-pointers at the time.
I defended that question as world history rather than geography. I was trying to think of cities that gave decent water access but would be outside the Gulf itself since I read the clue as saying the purpose was to circumvent Ottoman domination of the Gulf. I went with Sana'a.

For Lebanon I was lucky to recognize Shakira from Zootopia (thanks kids!) and remembered that her ancestry was Lebanese.

User avatar
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by georgespelvin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:11 am

Well now the plot REALLY thickens. In my '60s league rundle, Steve Bahnaman surprisingly forfeited again while I suffered my first loss of the season.

That means that I am now tied with Boson for first place, three points ahead of anyone else. We play today. 8-) If Learned League had a cable channel, this match would probably be one of the televised ones. :lol: Boson, of course, has the tiebreaker advantage so I am actually in second (and in a similar situation to where I finished in the last LL, tied for first, second by tiebreaker).

Good luck Boson--but not too much. :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

User avatar
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 pm
Location: Germantown, MD

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by jfrumkin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:30 am

I have been to the Baha'i Temple in Haifa multiple times. My wife studied abroad in Haifa. Which is why it is so infuriating that I looked at it, said "I got this", wrote down "Druze", and didn't even look at it again. One of my worst brain farts ever.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5214
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Volante » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 am

Still time for me to screw it up, but I'm tentatively looking forward to the Movies championship come Tuesday. Some of those have clues have been really fantastic.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3559
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm now up to a .950 DE in the '60s ML. Still just one unforced point allowed! I must admit I've had a pretty easy road so far. I can pretty much coast into the championship.

User avatar
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by georgespelvin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:30 pm

I hope boson and I are both able to get there and join you.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acthomas, AndrewHip, Baidu [Spider], dinghammer, EdwazdSwado, Elijah Baley, IvanseoAllor, morbeedo, OntarioQuizzer, PanthersFan1, QBall, radioinsomnia, TilligerlMip and 22 guests