Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:20 pm I'm now up to a .950 DE in the '60s ML. Still just one unforced point allowed! I must admit I've had a pretty easy road so far. I can pretty much coast into the championship.
My DE has fallen since the early days, but I'm still ahead in my group. Lots of 2 and 3 answers correct, so I suspect that I'm in with a bunch of youngsters :mrgreen: Dubcek nearly stumped my group yesterday, as did the cigarette label warning. Sometimes it's good to be older... :mrgreen:
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:50 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:20 pm I'm now up to a .950 DE in the '60s ML. Still just one unforced point allowed! I must admit I've had a pretty easy road so far. I can pretty much coast into the championship.
My DE has fallen since the early days, but I'm still ahead in my group. Lots of 2 and 3 answers correct, so I suspect that I'm in with a bunch of youngsters :mrgreen: Dubcek nearly stumped my group yesterday, as did the cigarette label warning. Sometimes it's good to be older... :mrgreen:

Then I suspect we'll all "meet" in the finals, along with a bunch of other boardies and only 300 or so others. A few extra years can come in handy.

.950 DE is quite amazing, especially for an ML, even for a small sample size.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:38 pm .950 DE is quite amazing, especially for an ML, even for a small sample size.
Every day I think "this is the day my DE takes a hit" but somehow it hasn't happened yet. Part of the reason it's so good is my opponents have only gotten 10 correct answers against me. I've only allowed six points. :o
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:30 pm
RandyG wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:38 pm .950 DE is quite amazing, especially for an ML, even for a small sample size.
Every day I think "this is the day my DE takes a hit" but somehow it hasn't happened yet. Part of the reason it's so good is my opponents have only gotten 10 correct answers against me. I've only allowed six points. :o
Defence in a mini league is hard to do. Some questions are easy, some are hard, but it is difficult to rely on past stats when all the questions follow a theme

For this miniseason I have ignored my opponents entirely and gone solely by what I think is hard or easy. 688, 712 and 652 DE in the 3 leagues... Average I think.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

I'm at .931 in the JI Movies ML (2 UfPA). The more amazing thing is that my opponents have only scored 10 total points thus far. The minileague hasn't been easy, but it certainly hasn't been that hard.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

georgespelvin wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:11 am Well now the plot REALLY thickens. In my '60s league rundle, Steve Bahnaman surprisingly forfeited again while I suffered my first loss of the season.

That means that I am now tied with Boson for first place, three points ahead of anyone else. We play today. 8-) If Learned League had a cable channel, this match would probably be one of the televised ones. :lol: Boson, of course, has the tiebreaker advantage so I am actually in second (and in a similar situation to where I finished in the last LL, tied for first, second by tiebreaker).

Good luck Boson--but not too much. :lol:
8(5)-8(5) tie!

I think you wished me just the right amount of luck. Good match! In hindsight, I can now hear Willie Nelson singing 'crazy', but at the time I didn't know it.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

boson wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:31 am
georgespelvin wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:11 am Well now the plot REALLY thickens. In my '60s league rundle, Steve Bahnaman surprisingly forfeited again while I suffered my first loss of the season.

That means that I am now tied with Boson for first place, three points ahead of anyone else. We play today. 8-) If Learned League had a cable channel, this match would probably be one of the televised ones. :lol: Boson, of course, has the tiebreaker advantage so I am actually in second (and in a similar situation to where I finished in the last LL, tied for first, second by tiebreaker).

8(5)-8(5) tie!

I think you wished me just the right amount of luck. Good match! In hindsight, I can now hear Willie Nelson singing 'crazy', but at the time I didn't know it.
I totally put Carole King. :oops: And I zeroed my opponent because his pop music score was insanely high, and he missed it too, likely with the same answer, though I have no way of knowing.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:30 am
boson wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:31 am

8(5)-8(5) tie!

I totally put Carole King. :oops: And I zeroed my opponent because his pop music score was insanely high, and he missed it too, likely with the same answer, though I have no way of knowing.
That was my answer, too. It was a head slap moment when I saw the reveal but paled in comparison to the howler of a miss I had on Q4: world leader, object of veneration today, died in the late '60s. Aha! Haile Selasse aka Ras Tafari, of course! Only on the reveal did I recall that story about Ho Chi Minh, who I mistakenly had thought had died in the '50s during French rule. And, of course, Haile Selasse died in '74 and was born into nobility so would never have worked as a busboy. :roll:
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 am ... It was a head slap moment when I saw the reveal but paled in comparison to the howler of a miss I had on Q4: world leader, object of veneration today, died in the late '60s. Aha! Haile Selasse aka Ras Tafari, of course! Only on the reveal did I recall that story about Ho Chi Minh, who I mistakenly had thought had died in the '50s during French rule. And, of course, Haile Selasse died in '74 and was born into nobility so would never have worked as a busboy. :roll:
I learned that little tidbit about Ho (working in the Boston hotel as a young man) in Ken Burns' Vietnam.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

RandyG wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:51 am
Woof wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 am ... It was a head slap moment when I saw the reveal but paled in comparison to the howler of a miss I had on Q4: world leader, object of veneration today, died in the late '60s. Aha! Haile Selasse aka Ras Tafari, of course! Only on the reveal did I recall that story about Ho Chi Minh, who I mistakenly had thought had died in the '50s during French rule. And, of course, Haile Selasse died in '74 and was born into nobility so would never have worked as a busboy. :roll:
I learned that little tidbit about Ho (working in the Boston hotel as a young man) in Ken Burns' Vietnam.
I learned it earlier--not sure where, probably FC--but relearned it via the Burns documentary and figured the whole world knew it now.
In and out of the pool four times
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

That Thief of Bagdad thing is very awkward. I missed it in ME then used it as a guess in Movies. I don't think that's cheating by the letter of the law but I feel a little weird about it.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

jfrumkin wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:42 am That Thief of Bagdad thing is very awkward. I missed it in ME then used it as a guess in Movies. I don't think that's cheating by the letter of the law but I feel a little weird about it.
LOL. I had that happen in reverse and was happy for the gift! Made no difference because I won movies and lost ME. It’s not cheating! You learned something new. And besides, it wasn’t a gimme - I wrote Thief of Bagdad not thinking it would be right but had no other guess
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

In the Middle East ML, I'm glad my response of "soccer teams" was accepted for "soccer (football) shirt sponsorships," even though they're 2 different things. The intended response was very specific and I think would have had a very low get rate. I've seen some of the shirts, but probably like many other LLamas I never would have guessed that shirt sponsorships were a thing.

And in the 1960s, I have an exciting finish coming up. I'm 3rd in my group, but tied in points with the 2nd-place individual. His MPD is one more than mine, and I have 2 more TMPs. And on MD11, I face the 11th-place person in my rundle who's 1-9, while the 2nd-placer faces the 1st-place person in my rundle who's 9-1.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

jfrumkin wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:42 am That Thief of Bagdad thing is very awkward. I missed it in ME then used it as a guess in Movies. I don't think that's cheating by the letter of the law but I feel a little weird about it.
I knew the later film and recognized it in Movies, and since that question also showed an older film, I figured that one might have had Douglas Fairbanks in it and used it as a guess in ME. Won both. Lost in 60s yesterday.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

KellyLasiter wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:43 am
Lost in 60s yesterday.
I got lost in the '60s too. Too much tuning in, turning on, and dropping out. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

Thief of Baghdad problem is interesting. I think if you opened up one quiz, got the first Thief question wrong and then opened up the next quiz and got that question right, you used knowledge you gained from before trying the questions and it isn't a problem. However, if you opened up both quizzes before submitting and then realized that they were asking about the same thing and then changed your answer once you submitted for one quiz, I would pretty much consider that cheating.

It's a moot point for me as I've seen the film and guessed it got it correct on both.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OSXpert wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:00 am Thief of Baghdad problem is interesting. I think if you opened up one quiz, got the first Thief question wrong and then opened up the next quiz and got that question right, you used knowledge you gained from before trying the questions and it isn't a problem. However, if you opened up both quizzes before submitting and then realized that they were asking about the same thing and then changed your answer once you submitted for one quiz, I would pretty much consider that cheating.

It's a moot point for me as I've seen the film and guessed it got it correct on both.
Someone started a poll Q on it: https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9118

Academic for me too, got them both, though I was racking my brain for a few minutes on Movies (I do that one last) thinking it had to be something different before coming to the conclusion that, yes, they -were- asking for the same movie in each ML and there was going to be very amusing discussion today.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:54 am In the Middle East ML, I'm glad my response of "soccer teams" was accepted for "soccer (football) shirt sponsorships," even though they're 2 different things. The intended response was very specific and I think would have had a very low get rate. I've seen some of the shirts, but probably like many other LLamas I never would have guessed that shirt sponsorships were a thing.
I fudged even more; I wasn't sure that all the teams were soccer teams. I thought the Australian team might be rugby or footy. So I left soccer out. "Sponsored teams" was accepted.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

boson wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:31 am 8(5)-8(5) tie!

Yes indeed, it was a good match!

I apologize for not responding sooner. First off, I was out-of-town yesterday and this morning and did not have my JBoard password on my mobile devices, so this is my first opportunity to post. Second, even had I been able to post, I would have just put in the first sentence of this post and said that I would post more Saturday. That is because I had a "Grand Strategy" for my matches Thursday and Friday, first against you and then against Steve Bahnaman. I wasn't sure if Steve was a lurker here, so I did not want to post anything until after my match against him was over.

As it turns out, my "Grand Strategy" probably wound up giving you the group title because had I defended against you conventionally (at least for me), I would have won the match. I knew that playing you and Steve would be very tough and I knew that beating either of you would be extremely difficult. I also knew that the top two players in a group get to play in the Finals on Tuesday. As a result, I decided to play defense in a way that made it more likely for me to wind up with a tie at worst.

How did I do this? Well, your pop music score is among your weakest. However, I figured that you would give me a zero on the pop music question because you know from my posts on this message board that I am very strong in the category even though my LL average underrates me (because I am very weak in some genres). Now I almost always answer the LL questions very early in the day, and had done so on Thursday, but I kind of wonder if you were playing a little gamesmanship when you posted late Thursday evening here that you have been playing defense in the MLs without regards to your opponents' category history. :?: Despite this comment, you DID give me a zero on the pop music question, which makes me wonder if you meant what you said, at least in our match. ;)

Anyway, figuring that you would give me a zero on the pop music question, I did not want to risk you getting a lot of points on me if you got it right. I knew that I had five out of six right, but if I had given you a three on the question and you had gotten it right, I would have lost. By giving you a one on the question, I was hedging my bets and playing more a chance at no worse than a tie than giving you a two or three, which would have been more warranted given your category strengths (I knew that had I given you a zero for it, I would have been risking what actually would have happened--a rare 9(5) win for you). Anyway, I was still VERY happy to get a tie out of you because I knew that you would likely get at least five questions right.

What I did NOT anticipate by any stretch of the imagination is that Steve Bahnaman would have a monumental disaster in his match against me on Friday. I beat him 8(5)-1(2). Steve getting only two right was a shock. His lowest category percentage I think is higher than all but three or four of mine. Since I knew I got five right, I was hoping for another tie, figuring that, if I was lucky, Steve would miss one.

Anyway, a big reason for my "Grand Strategy" was that I was trying to pick up enough points in the two matches to hold off the hard charging players in third and fourth place. Now, having picked up three out of four points in my tough schedule on Thursday and Friday, I'm in terrific shape for finishing in second (tied for first, but losing on the tiebreaker) because on Monday I play a winless player that has forfeited his last eight games. However, had I played defense against Boson the way I usually play it, the order of finish might have been different (p.s., Boson plays the second to last place player on Monday). :)
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

reddpen wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:15 pm
RandyG wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:51 am
I learned it earlier--not sure where, probably FC--but relearned it via the Burns documentary and figured the whole world knew it now.
I also knew it from the Ken Burns' documentary. I also thought that watching Ken Burns documentaries was probably a good thing when doing a ML smithed by his good friend and colleague Daniel Okrent, who has appeared in at least two of Burns' documentaries.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.