Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 4 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 4 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by boson »

Does "vis" work for "viz" for the abbreviation question? I definitely got this one phonetically, knowing how people say the abbreviation.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:02 am Am I the only one who didn't know that the red chicken was the R.I. state bird?

At least I wasn't too chicken-sh*t to make a guess on that clue. :D (unfortunately, my guess was robin)
The other state whose state bird is a chicken is Delaware: the Blue Hen Chicken.

The robin is the state bird of Michigan. Fitting, as most of our robins flee the state for wamer weather during the winter.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

nightreign wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm why was my answer for the two-pointer yesterday accepted but not the six-pointer?

(I was a little confused by the clues since in both of those, the first part seemed to imply a possessive while the second part seemed to imply a singular noun, which is why my answer had an s in parentheses. Don't know if that helps my case or not, but that's why I did it.)
I was also thrown by the wording on those clues and whether or not the s should be included or not.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:56 pm
nightreign wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm why was my answer for the two-pointer yesterday accepted but not the six-pointer?

(I was a little confused by the clues since in both of those, the first part seemed to imply a possessive while the second part seemed to imply a singular noun, which is why my answer had an s in parentheses. Don't know if that helps my case or not, but that's why I did it.)
I was also thrown by the wording on those clues and whether or not the s should be included or not.
To me it seems awfully harsh to ding us for that. It seems completely contrary to "I want to give you points."
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

talked myself out of calamari because I thought it was octopus, not squid :(
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Failed to thoroughly RTFQ on the 6 pointer for Day 4. I'll take the penalty.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Lot of fail for me today! :lol: :lol: :lol: I hope the graders are fond of clam.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:33 pm
TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:56 pm

To me it seems awfully harsh to ding us for that. It seems completely contrary to "I want to give you points."
That's what I said when I was chatting with nightreign off site last night.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

That Lizst category was tough. I'm definitely feeling a little Lizst-less. :D

And at the risk of getting a little TPH-y, I was around in 1986 and I NHO the video game "Metroid."
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:16 am That Liizst category was tough. I'm definitely feeling a little Lizst-less. :D

And at the risk of getting a little TPH-y, I was around in 1986 and I NHO the video game "Metroid."
A little? Gee, if only they had made versions of Metroid for other systems over the years or if Samus had been in Super Smash Bros...
On the side of your defense I do not see a hit in the Archive for Metroid or Samus.

No get on 5K for me as my processor was way off. I took 12:35:37 and road race as hours and wondered what crazy distance the guy was running beyond a normal marathon that others would drive. :oops:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 am No get on 5K for me as my processor was way off. I took 12:35:37 and road race as hours and wondered what crazy distance the guy was running beyond a normal marathon that others would drive. :oops:
Slight "RTFQ" for you. It was 12:35.37 not 12:35:37. Substantial difference!
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:34 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 am No get on 5K for me as my processor was way off. I took 12:35:37 and road race as hours and wondered what crazy distance the guy was running beyond a normal marathon that others would drive. :oops:
I initially misread the clue in the same way, but then I remembered the category ("things you can do in 13 minutes")
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:44 am
I initially misread the clue in the same way, but then I remembered the category ("things you can do in 13 minutes")
So both a RTFQ and RTFC!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:16 am That Liizst category was tough. I'm definitely feeling a little Lizst-less. :D

A little? Gee, if only they had made versions of Metroid for other systems over the years or if Samus had been in Super Smash Bros...
On the side of your defense I do not see a hit in the Archive for Metroid or Samus.

No get on 5K for me as my processor was way off. I took 12:35:37 and road race as hours and wondered what crazy distance the guy was running beyond a normal marathon that others would drive. :oops:
NHO Samus, Metroid. I'm happy with no hits in J either.

Also as a one time jogger (bad knees now), 12 min 5k is no brainier. Add recent world championships, this was the easiest clue today for me.
P.S. I never ran in school years, so I had no idea how fast runners actually are..once I started running I realized how slow I run. My fastest time is slower than professional speed walkers. That's depressing. At least I enjoyed my runner's high.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Major RTFQ for me -- I read it as 22 minutes and change, and gave my answer as double the correct distance.

"Until I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like... 10 instead of 5"
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:52 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:44 am
So both a RTFQ and RTFC!
When I do the SHC I look at the category, answer the first question (almost always) and then delete the category in working towards setting up proper formatting for my answers. Yes, that is the kind of thing I can do to forget the category by the second question. At least with a blank spot I did not have 3 points in penalties.

Like LL the SHC offers plenty of time to work out answers and reread questions. My bad (or unnecessary) habit is rarely going beyond five minutes for either.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:35 pm Like LL the SHC offers plenty of time to work out answers and reread questions. My bad (or unnecessary) habit is rarely going beyond five minutes for either.
Both here and in LL, I feel like I haven't yet sussed out the right balance between going with my first instinct and pondering for a while. For example, yesterday my first, groggy, precaffeinated instinct was right on an LL question, and then I spent about an hour turning it over in my head and talked myself out of the right answer. But other times, taking my time is the only way the answer has a chance to surface at all.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:46 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:35 pm Like LL the SHC offers plenty of time to work out answers and reread questions. My bad (or unnecessary) habit is rarely going beyond five minutes for either.
Both here and in LL, I feel like I haven't yet sussed out the right balance between going with my first instinct and pondering for a while. For example, yesterday my first, groggy, precaffeinated instinct was right on an LL question, and then I spent about an hour turning it over in my head and talked myself out of the right answer. But other times, taking my time is the only way the answer has a chance to surface at all.
There are many instances in LL where I know that my brain knows a response but it's not coming to me right away (although sometimes I'll fixate on a word that I feel start with the same letter or sounds similar, or something that's otherwise related). So I give it some time to percolate, and quite often the answer I was looking for will pop into my head within a few hours. Or if an answer is a coin-flip for me, I may stall on committing to one of the choices. Other times, I know that all the time in the world won't enable me to come up with the correct response.

I tend not to spend a lot of time on my SHC submissions, especially on days that overlap with LL.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:26 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:46 pm
There are many instances in LL where I know that my brain knows a response but it's not coming to me right away (although sometimes I'll fixate on a word that I feel start with the same letter or sounds similar, or something that's otherwise related). So I give it some time to percolate, and quite often the answer I was looking for will pop into my head within a few hours. Or if an answer is a coin-flip for me, I may stall on committing to one of the choices. Other times, I know that all the time in the world won't enable me to come up with the correct response.

I tend not to spend a lot of time on my SHC submissions, especially on days that overlap with LL.
I thought today's categories were particularly hard, and most of them were guesses for me. But after a lot of percolating and only one "aha" moment, I went ahead and took the guesses. After looking at others' answers, it looks like I gave pretty much the same answers. So if we're wrong, we're wrong together.

ETA: I just looked up the 6-pointer, and it turns out this runner holds the world record for the 5K and 10K. The only part of the clue pinning it to 5K is the time. I did a little mental math to figure out which of the two was more likely.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I clammed on the 3 pointer, thinking a specific language was being asked for. Oops.