Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 4 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 4 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Wpwells »

Oh man, talk about reaching deep into the punch bowl to pull Dinah.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I only got Dinah because I was reading TV Tropes about Alice in Wonderland the other day--I'm not sure how I even ended up there. I suppose it's appropriate to fall down a rabbit hole and end up there. :lol:

New Brunswick was kind of a guess, since I don't know Moncton, but I ruled out provinces where the biggest city is really famously something else, and then picked the remaining one that most sounded like a town in New Jersey.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

"Cat in Alice in Wonderland" Pavlovs (appropriately) to "Cheshire Cat" but I knew that it was her pet cat. Luckily I'm a big Disney fan as well, so I knew it was in there somewhere, and after a minute of digging I pulled it out.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Growing up in NJ (in West Orange, no less) has its advantages.

I knew the Cheshire Cat was too obvious for the 15-pointer. e :roll:
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Is Brickwall really a place in NJ? It doesn't pop up on Google Maps for me.

Not sure why I thought Alice's cat was simply named "Kitty". Am I getting her confused with some other literary cat owner?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

goforthetie wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:16 am Is Brickwall really a place in NJ? It doesn't pop up on Google Maps for me.
There are two towns named Brick and Wall.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Wpwells wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:07 am Oh man, talk about reaching deep into the punch bowl to pull Dinah.
My memory ladle has too short of a handle to recall that one or the Archy cat. Multiple choice then no problem.

Now I'm going to have those British kids in the Pink Floyd song stuck in my head for the morning.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

goforthetie wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:16 am Is Brickwall really a place in NJ? It doesn't pop up on Google Maps for me.

Not sure why I thought Alice's cat was simply named "Kitty". Am I getting her confused with some other literary cat owner?
I mean Anne Frank called her diary "Kitty".
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

The NJ town where I grew up was the answer to the 10-point question.

Brick and Wall are "townships". They are located in Ocean and Monmouth Counties, respectively, and are close to the Jersey Shore.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

KellyLasiter wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 am New Brunswick was kind of a guess, since I don't know Moncton, but I ruled out provinces where the biggest city is really famously something else, and then picked the remaining one that most sounded like a town in New Jersey.
New Brunswick is the home of Rutgers University, the State University of NJ. Fair warning: This may come up on a future Think Different I'm working on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

KellyLasiter wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 am I only got Dinah because I was reading TV Tropes about Alice in Wonderland the other day--I'm not sure how I even ended up there. I suppose it's appropriate to fall down a rabbit hole and end up there. :lol:

New Brunswick was kind of a guess, since I don't know Moncton, but I ruled out provinces where the biggest city is really famously something else, and then picked the remaining one that most sounded like a town in New Jersey.
Dinah wasn't the mystery pull for me: that was Mehitabel. Why I know that "Archy and Mehitabel" is a thing, I don't know, but it proved timely today. New Brunswick is home to Rutgers, which was helpful to me. That 12-pointer, however....
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Turns out I know next to nothing about cats in literature. Oh well.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Wpwells wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:37 am

I mean Anne Frank called her diary "Kitty".
That's what I was confusing it with. Thanks.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Woof wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:30 am
KellyLasiter wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 am I only got Dinah because I was reading TV Tropes about Alice in Wonderland the other day--I'm not sure how I even ended up there. I suppose it's appropriate to fall down a rabbit hole and end up there. :lol:

Dinah wasn't the mystery pull for me: that was Mehitabel. Why I know that "Archy and Mehitabel" is a thing, I don't know, but it proved timely today. New Brunswick is home to Rutgers, which was helpful to me. That 12-pointer, however....
You know, the phrase "Archy and Mehitabel" rings a bell for me, but until this very moment, I couldn't have told you if they were bugs or cats or sentient cucumbers. :lol:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Seems like lots of people are coming up with Dinah. I thought the 9, 12 and 15-pointers would all be head-scratchers.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:54 pm Seems like lots of people are coming up with Dinah. I thought the 9, 12 and 15-pointers would all be head-scratchers.
NHO 9 and 12 pointers. Thought Cheshire cat was too obvious at 15... Dinah rings a bell, but can't exactly tell you what it was...tough round.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

OOOH! It's my category! I'm so excited!
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:47 pm OOOH! It's my category! I'm so excited!
And a good (but tough) CATegory it was! :D
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

KellyLasiter wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:16 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:30 am

You know, the phrase "Archy and Mehitabel" rings a bell for me, but until this very moment, I couldn't have told you if they were bugs or cats or sentient cucumbers. :lol:
Don Marquis was newspaper columnist who would occasionally "find" poems written on his typewriter when came in to work in the morning. The conceit was that Archy the cockroach would type the piece by jumping from key to key -- since he couldn't hold the shift key, the columns were all in lower case. I remember reading a few a long time ago; I remember the setup of the cockroach and the cat, but can't remember what I read. Must not have been memorable.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I remembered Archy & Mehitabel, was afraid I would mangle the spelling. Figured Cheshire Cat was way too obvious for a 15, but thought about bandersnatch from Jabberwocky for a little bit, deciding CLAM is the best part of valor