Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 5 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 5 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Rackme32 »

Who the CLAM is Calvin Harris??
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Calvin Harris used to be Taylor Swift's boyfriend. That fact alone almost puts him on the pop culture A-list.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:00 pm Calvin Harris used to be Taylor Swift's boyfriend. That fact alone almost puts him on the pop culture A-list.
Almost. But it certainly doesn't mean that most Americans are very familiar with, or know much about, his music.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am I agree. It's not really fair to those who clammed because they didn't know her last name.
Wait ... what? Florence is a she?

I got to Donna Karan and Calvin Klein and Gloria Vanderbilt and gave up.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Calvin Harris featured artists? Now THAT'S what I'm talking about.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am
Volante wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:19 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:56 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am I'm probably in the minority, but it seems kind of lame to me to accept "Florence" for today's nine point clue.
Given the bloodbath that that category was (I haven't seen anyone correctly answer the 6- or 12-pointers yet, although I'm sure there will be some), I think it would be a nice gesture to accept "Florence." :D
It would, except we're trained to provide last names, so what about those of us who went "Well, I know her last name isn't "Andthemachine" or "Clam"..."?

(Obviously, while I have a dog in this fight, it's kinda academic in the grand scheme of the points, so *shrug*)
I agree. It's not really fair to those who clammed because they didn't know her last name.
Solution: accept "Florence" and offer an RQ to everyone else. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:00 pm Calvin Harris used to be Taylor Swift's boyfriend. That fact alone almost puts him on the pop culture A-list.
Taylor Swift's ex is the only association that springs to this old mind. Bahamian singer and "The Machine" got me my only answers. When I looked up my Clams, the names Goulding and HAIM rang a bell, but I never would have come up with them.
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

The replies I've read about the Klein bottle question have pretty much all mentioned Calvin Klein, but I put down Anne Klein, which also works as far as I can tell since both are fashion designers from NY. I guess I just thought she was younger so would be better known these days. It was my official answer, but I added Calvin Klein bottle in parentheses, for no very good reason, really, except I couldn't help myself.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:54 am NHO Calvin Harris so that entire category was a bust for me. Couldn't even tell you if he was a 60' country star, an 80's rap star or a current day pop star. Made a connection to Florence on the nine-pointer but didn't think just her first name would suffice so CLAMMED.
Made an inarticulate "Grargh" sound as soon as I skimmed the questions. Went from my best day ever to my worst one in 24 hours.

Never made the connection with Calvin and the Klein bottle; I guess my "inexperience led to two-dimensional thinking" and I couldn't come up with a designer whose first name was "strip" or last name was "Möbius." I also spun my wheels trying to think of a Guthrie song whose title ended with "milk" instead of starting the phrase with "land." Teeth are now gritted.

Not familiar with Calvin Harris at all. Looked up and listened to every song listed, none sounded the least bit familiar. Took a guess on "Florence" with no last name; "Florence and the Machine" was the answer to one of the clues in my final game (which I of course clammed on, not being familiar with the name prior to that). Don't know if the first name only will be accepted.

The SHC giveth and the SHC taketh away.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am I'm probably in the minority, but it seems kind of lame to me to accept "Florence" for today's nine point clue.
I dunno -- if we took to my era of music and asked "Who was the lead singer of the group with the hit "(Why Must I Be) A Teenager in Love," I'd probably accept Dion (of Dion and the Belmonts) instead of insisting on Dion DiMucci. Or insisting on Donovan Leitch as the singer of "Sunshine Superman." None are quite single-named artists on the order of Cher or Madonna, but the last names may not be necessary for correct identification.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:59 pm
I dunno -- if we took to my era of music and asked "Who was the lead singer of the group with the hit "(Why Must I Be) A Teenager in Love," I'd probably accept Dion of Dion and the Belmonts instead of insisting on Dion DiMucci. Or insisting on Donovan Leitch as the singer of "Sunshine Superman." None are quite single-named artists on the order of Cher or Madonna, but the last names may not be necessary for correct identification.
I still think the distinction is these artists were known professionally by their first names only.

A slightly more recent example would be Mike + The Mechanics. Do you think "Mike" would be accepted for Mike Rutherford?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 am ... A couple of the clues in that category, but only a couple, were gettable through other means (like knowing that "Barbadian singer" is Pavlovian for Rihanna).
That's the only way I was able to get that answer. For me, it was basically "Name a really famous singer from Barbados." Today was the day for very challenging questions about people named Calvin, I guess! :)

Fwiw, I think the occasional difficult/niche category is fine. Sure they're extra hard, but all of us are in the same boat.
immaf

Post by immaf »

Oooh, Klein bottles are super-cool! If I any idea that they were considered a non-orientable surface (whatever that is) I would totally have not clammed.

To the best of my knowledge, i have never heard of Calvin Whathisname
Teems with quiet fun.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:09 pm
I dunno -- if we took to my era of music and asked "Who was the lead singer of the group with the hit "(Why Must I Be) A Teenager in Love," I'd probably accept Dion of Dion and the Belmonts instead of insisting on Dion DiMucci. Or insisting on Donovan Leitch as the singer of "Sunshine Superman." None are quite single-named artists on the order of Cher or Madonna, but the last names may not be necessary for correct identification.
I still think the distinction is these artists were known professionally by their first names only.

A slightly more recent example would be Mike + The Mechanics. Do you think "Mike" would be accepted for Mike Rutherford?
I might. If I knew who Mike Rutherford is. Or that he's a mechanic. Especially if he works on 2000 Dodge Caravans.
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Foretopman »

Was Elvis Presley known professionally by his first name only?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:48 am
alietr wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:43 am I'm glad I didn't waste too much time pondering the Calvin Klein question since I've never heard of a Klein bottle.
I've heard of one, but that question completely stymied me by reversing the order! :lol:
My previous favorite question was the one about "August" in round 3. The Klein bottle question is now tied for favorite.

Of course, I missed them both. But I still think they were great clues.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And how is Englishwoman singer NOT Adele? I figured that had to be worth a guess. (Besides the fact that I've never heard of the apparently correct answer.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:33 pm

In my cruel and heartless scoring I'd grudgingly accept Elvis, but only because he's so iconic. Florence Welch is no Elvis Presley.
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:04 pm

In my cruel and heartless scoring I'd grudgingly accept Elvis, but only because he's so iconic. Florence Welch is no Elvis Presley.
I knew Elvis Presley. I worked with Elvis Presley. Elvis Presley was a friend of mine. And you, madame, are no Elvis. :mrgreen: [/Bentsen]
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Foretopman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:04 pm

Don't Be Cruel