Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 5 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 5 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:04 pm
Foretopman wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:33 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:09 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:59 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am I'm probably in the minority, but it seems kind of lame to me to accept "Florence" for today's nine point clue.
I dunno -- if we took to my era of music and asked "Who was the lead singer of the group with the hit "(Why Must I Be) A Teenager in Love," I'd probably accept Dion of Dion and the Belmonts instead of insisting on Dion DiMucci. Or insisting on Donovan Leitch as the singer of "Sunshine Superman." None are quite single-named artists on the order of Cher or Madonna, but the last names may not be necessary for correct identification.
I still think the distinction is these artists were known professionally by their first names only.

A slightly more recent example would be Mike + The Mechanics. Do you think "Mike" would be accepted for Mike Rutherford?
Was Elvis Presley known professionally by his first name only?
In my cruel and heartless scoring I'd grudgingly accept Elvis, but only because he's so iconic. Florence Welch is no Elvis Presley.
No one requests an Elvis song and expects to hear Veronica
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Foretopman »

Volante wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:47 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:04 pm
Foretopman wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:33 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:09 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:59 pm

I dunno -- if we took to my era of music and asked "Who was the lead singer of the group with the hit "(Why Must I Be) A Teenager in Love," I'd probably accept Dion of Dion and the Belmonts instead of insisting on Dion DiMucci. Or insisting on Donovan Leitch as the singer of "Sunshine Superman." None are quite single-named artists on the order of Cher or Madonna, but the last names may not be necessary for correct identification.
I still think the distinction is these artists were known professionally by their first names only.

A slightly more recent example would be Mike + The Mechanics. Do you think "Mike" would be accepted for Mike Rutherford?
Was Elvis Presley known professionally by his first name only?
In my cruel and heartless scoring I'd grudgingly accept Elvis, but only because he's so iconic. Florence Welch is no Elvis Presley.
No one requests an Elvis song and expects to hear Veronica
That's where I was headed, but I don't know now if this supports my point or not. :)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

alietr wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:49 pm And how is Englishwoman singer NOT Adele? I figured that had to be worth a guess. (Besides the fact that I've never heard of the apparently correct answer.)
because she's ethnically Welsh
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:10 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:49 pm And how is Englishwoman singer NOT Adele? I figured that had to be worth a guess. (Besides the fact that I've never heard of the apparently correct answer.)
Actually, Adele was born in London and the very first sentence of her Wikipedia entry describes her as "an English singer-songwriter." So you can't rule her out on this clue on the basis that she's allegedly not an Englishwoman.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

"collaborators on Calvin Harris songs"

Who?

Well, I don't have much of a shot here ...
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 am I'll just say that the Calvin Harris category would have been great for those who are fans of Mr. Harris (and knew who he was without having to google him after submitting their responses. And knew who Ellie Goulding was.). :roll: A couple of the clues in that category, but only a couple, were gettable through other means (like knowing that "Barbadian singer" is Pavlovian for Rihanna).
Don't ask me why, but when I think Barbadian singers, the first one that comes to mind is Lord Burgess for making the Banana Boat song ("Day-o"), made famous by Harry Belafonte and what people associated as "Barbados music" before Rihanna was a twinkle in her parents' eyes. (Oh, and he also wrote the lyrics to the national anthem of Barbados, there's that. ;) )
KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:04 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 am I'll just say that the Calvin Harris category would have been great for those who are fans of Mr. Harris (and knew who he was without having to google him after submitting their responses. And knew who Ellie Goulding was.). :roll: A couple of the clues in that category, but only a couple, were gettable through other means (like knowing that "Barbadian singer" is Pavlovian for Rihanna).
Yeah, I got Rihanna because she's Barbadian, Florence Welch because I'm a huge fan, and Haim because they were the only current three-sister band I could think of (saw them on late-night TV a few months ago and googled them a bit, though I'd forgotten their first names). The other two, nope.
Argh, yeah, the only name I could've put to "the Machine" was "Florence" (didn't know her last name), but I thought she was of a different era musically than Rihanna (she was from the 80s, right?) so that was a clam.
KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:48 am
alietr wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:43 am I'm glad I didn't waste too much time pondering the Calvin Klein question since I've never heard of a Klein bottle.
I've heard of one, but that question completely stymied me by reversing the order! :lol:
Exactly! Klein bottle immediately let to mind; didn't think I knew any fashion designers (which I'm a little embarrassed about as I just applied to an office position for a major fashion company based here earlier today) but because of the order was trying to match it to "bottle". Now that I think about it, the order issue has come up before in SHC, it seems that J! is strict in its order and SHC isn't, and that's the way they've always been. Have to remember to put on my SHC hat when playing the SHC.
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:10 pm
I doubt too many people know this since she's always presented as "English".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:09 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:00 pm Calvin Harris used to be Taylor Swift's boyfriend. That fact alone almost puts him on the pop culture A-list.
Almost. But it certainly doesn't mean that most Americans are very familiar with, or know much about, his music.
I know I've never heard of him. I would've clammed that entire category.
rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rjaguar3 »

The answer for the R5D4 9-pointer has that either name is acceptable.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:55 am Who the CLAM is Calvin Harris??
my sentiments exactly. I'm definitely doing a prog category next year.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am I'm probably in the minority, but it seems kind of lame to me to accept "Florence" for today's nine point clue.
Agreed. If I thought that just a first name had any chance of being accepted, I would have put her first name, since I knew it. But if I had answered Florence, how would anyone have known I meant that Florence? Perhaps I was actually thinking of Florence Henderson.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

A quibble: "smithereens" has three Es while "summer hiatus challenge" only has two. I wouldn't have gotten it anyway.
Teems with quiet fun.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

I had to laugh when I saw the 2-pointer, after posting this on my FB page earlier this week (and having visited the murals in question on Sunday):

https://www.facebook.com/hbomb1947/post ... nref=story

Is the intended answer for the 10-pointer sluice or cistern? Do both fit?

The 6-pointer in the Native American category was tricky because there are numerous components to the 14th amendment (although I was pretty sure suffrage, which is looking like the MCWA, wasn't one of them). I wavered between citizenship and equal protection and picked the wrong one. :cry:
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

immaf wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 am A quibble: "smithereens" has three Es while "summer hiatus challenge" only has two. I wouldn't have gotten it anyway.
"Summer hiatus challenge" has three E's.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

History isn't one of my stronger categories, but somewhere I picked up the mnemonic "Free Citizens Vote" for how to remember the main outcomes of the 13th, 14, and 15th amendments, respectively, and that helped me here.

Also, I want a Calvin Klein bottle.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:17 am History isn't one of my stronger categories, but somewhere I picked up the mnemonic "Free Citizens Vote" for how to remember the main outcomes of the 13th, 14, and 15th amendments, respectively, and that helped me here.

Also, I want a Calvin Klein bottle.
https://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-one ... 7WFX4?th=1
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:55 am Is the intended answer for the 10-pointer sluice or cistern? Do both fit?
I think only sluice fits. A cistern is not really a "water channel" and it doesn't require a gate. Essentially a cistern is a storage tank for water.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:17 am ... but somewhere I picked up the mnemonic "Free Citizens Vote" for how to remember the main outcomes of the 13th, 14, and 15th amendments
That's a great mnemonic; thanks for sharing it!
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:49 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:55 am Is the intended answer for the 10-pointer sluice or cistern? Do both fit?
I think only sluice fits. A cistern is not really a "water channel" and it doesn't require a gate. Essentially a cistern is a storage tank for water.
Also doesn't fit the derivation given.

Personally I HATE anagrams, because I'm so bad at them. But I'm doubly frustrated by them because I know that the answer is right there in front of me, if I can only muster the patience to work it out. The first four were easy, but sluice took quite a while. And it wasn't helped by the enticingly obvious but ultra-red herring of canal.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

My self-sabotaging streak continues... I knew it wasn't 9. Why did it put it down anyway?!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof

Post by Woof »

The question was looking for the TOTAL number of security council members, no? Not just the permanent members?

Also, I'm really hoping that the answer to the 12-pointer is coral. I had some of it from a jeweler friend of my mother's when I was young, and it was definitely red-orange in color (hence the color's name, I guess).
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

The 6-pointer in Native American category was, I think, supposed to be citizenship, but I don't think that's accurate. Most Native Americans were already citizens by 1924 (in large part as an indirect result of allotment of Indian lands). And there were still some Native Americans who weren't given citizenship until 1940.

I said voting rights because later court decisions tied voting rights to the 1924 act. (Other rights that all citizens are supposed to have would also work). For example, Means v. Wilson, 522 F.2d 833 (8th Cir. 1975) says "At that time [June 2, 1924] certainly, if not before, Indians became endowed with the fundamental rights of national citizenship, including the right to vote."

I suggest either that alternate answers also be accepted, or a RQ be given. :)