Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 5 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Clue Jungry
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 5 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Clue Jungry »

Fat Boys "All You Can Eat" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3caXgI2_cs.

I had a feeling Krush Groove would stump most of the JBoard crowd. It's basically an origin story of the founding of Def Jam records, with appearances by Run DMC, LL Cool J, New Edition, and the Beastie Boys (it also stars a pre-L.A. Law Blair Underwood). In addition, it's referenced in a hilarious throwaway line in Kevin Smith's movie Dogma.

As for the 6-point clue, only one answer is correct. "Beat It" was released as a single on February 14, 1983; Weird Al's "Eat It" came out on February 28, 1984.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:26 pm
goforthetie wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:33 am Why did Weird Al have to make *two* gluttony-themed parodies of Michael Jackson megahits? Sigh.
I think I heard of a story Weird Al said once that he asked an artist for permission to parody one of their songs and the artist replied "oh God, it isn't going to be about food, is it?" If I recall, that was a wakeup call for Al that he needed to diversify his subject matter a bit.
It wasn't a wake up call, per se, it just happened that his biggest hits at that time (e.g., his MJ parodies) were both food related. It's like how Joel Schumacher will always be known as Bat Nipples but he also directed Falling Down amongst an otherwise not to shabby filmography.

Also, it was Kurt Cobain who asked that. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Volante wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:21 pm
goforthetie wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:33 am Why did Weird Al have to make *two* gluttony-themed parodies of Michael Jackson megahits? Sigh.
I think I heard of a story Weird Al said once that he asked an artist for permission to parody one of their songs and the artist replied "oh God, it isn't going to be about food, is it?" If I recall, that was a wakeup call for Al that he needed to diversify his subject matter a bit.
It wasn't a wake up call, per se, it just happened that his biggest hits at that time (e.g., his MJ parodies) were both food related. I
Plus, some of his other songs released around that time included "My Bologna" (a parody of The Knack's "My Sharona"); "Lasagna" (a parody of "La Bamba"); and "I Love Rocky Road" (a parody of Joan Jett's "I Love Rock 'n' Roll")
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:26 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:21 pm
It wasn't a wake up call, per se, it just happened that his biggest hits at that time (e.g., his MJ parodies) were both food related. I
Plus, some of his other songs released around that time included "My Bologna" (a parody of The Knack's "My Sharona"); "Lasagna" (a parody of "La Bamba"); and "I Love Rocky Road" (a parody of Joan Jett's "I Love Rock 'n' Roll")
But only 1 or 2 tracks on each album was food related which, yes, is higher than the average when considering all songs created, but nowhere close to a majority. Plurality perhaps, but only slightly. Only slightly.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:34 am The "nourishment" category was quite obscure for those of us who live in the northeast and have NHO "Golden Corral."

Edited: I have NHO Red Robin but apparently they have a location in my city's Times Square, a district that no New Yorker goes to. Also, I can't find any hits for "Red Robin" the fast food chain in the J! archive.
you have never seen the dude's commercial on national tv ads?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:19 pm
classicroadster wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:36 am
mcsheffrey wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:23 am I took a chance on the hip-hop movie thinking that 1985 sounded right for Beat Street (actually released in 1984) and thinking "how many hip hop movies could there have been at that time?" Clearly, there was at least one that I was unaware of. For those who haven't looked it up, Krush Groove was the 15 pointer.
I remember watching the Fat Boys movie, but went with Wipeout which was their big hit.

I ended up giving both the parody name and the MJ hit name since I couldn't figure out what the question was asking for....

edited to add: Disorderlies was the Fat Boys movie I was thinking of, never saw Krush Groove....
... and my pop culture blind spot hits me again. I don't think I've ever heard of Fat Boys, and certainly didn't know any of their movies. Knew the Weird Al parody and the MJ original, but just couldn't pull either of them from the tip of my tongue.

Was stationed in Fayetteville NC in the mid-1980s and ate at a GC several times; it was my kids' favorite restaurant. Didn't know it was founded there, though.
i know of fat boys due to their song on the nightmare on elm street 4 soundtrack...went to a marathon of 1-4 and the radio station gave out vinyl soundtrack...only movie i knew with them in was disorderlies and knew it was not 1985..had no clue they were in other films
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Day 3:
OK..if I feel comfortable with TV category then it MUST be easy. I'll take it.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Whoops, for some reason I thought Pushing Daisies was also about a funeral home, and picked it over Six Feet Under even though the latter was in my head. Need more coffee. And to watch more TV.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I just realized I made an awful typo on the Reformation category. I put 1617 instead of 1517 (legitimately a typo but oh well). This especially stinks since I am a practicing Protestant and I AM PLANNING TO DRESS UP AS MARTIN LUTHER FOR HALLOWEEN THIS YEAR SINCE THAT WILL BE THE 500TH ANNIVERSARY.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Looks like I'm the first person not to know Mike & Molly. Not sure how I missed that cultural juggernaut.

I knew Michael J Fox was in one of those 90s sitcoms that I didn't watch but I guessed "Mad About You" instead of the correct "Spin City." I learned a few new things from today's questions.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

A quibble on the D3 9-pointer: the Healy character isn't on OITNB present tense. He was written out after season 4 and wasn't back for season 5.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was the longest I've taken to answer a set of questions. I was going along fine until the Kramer clue and then hit a wall. Even though I'm not a Seinfeld (or Friends) watcher I know enough to have the characters and actors in my mental TV-dex. I went to retrieve the guy who played Cosmo and hit a wall even though I could picture him and knew exactly who it was. It took more than 10 minutes of other online duties before the name popped right in and I could complete the set.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:07 am Looks like I'm the first person not to know Mike & Molly. Not sure how I missed that cultural juggernaut.
You're not the only one. If you don't follow most of the sitcoms on the legacy networks, and rarely watch those networks so you don't see the commercials for their shows, it's easy for many of them to go under your radar. Especially something like "Mike & Molly" that won like 1 Emmy (for Melissa McCarthy) all the way back in 2011. I guess that show is notable as featuring the breakout role for McCarthy, which helped supercharge her career (Bridesmaids came out at the end of season 1). And it did run for 6 seasons. Still, with TV so fragmented on so many channels and platforms, it's hard to keep up with all the shows for trivia purposes -- much harder than 20 or 30 years ago.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:20 am
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:07 am Looks like I'm the first person not to know Mike & Molly. Not sure how I missed that cultural juggernaut.
You're not the only one. If you don't follow most of the sitcoms on the legacy networks, and rarely watch those networks so you don't see the commercials for their shows, it's easy for many of them to go under your radar. Especially something like "Mike & Molly" that won like 1 Emmy (for Melissa McCarthy) all the way back in 2011. I guess that show is notable as featuring the breakout role for McCarthy, which helped supercharge her career (Bridesmaids came out at the end of season 1). And it did run for 6 seasons. Still, with TV so fragmented on so many channels and platforms, it's hard to keep up with all the shows for trivia purposes -- much harder than 20 or 30 years ago.
Not the only to not get Mike & Molly, though when I saw it, it was a forehead-slapper of a moment. But then, I also biffed on the 15-pointer, somehow conflating The West Wing with Spin City. Oh, well....
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 am That was the longest I've taken to answer a set of questions. I was going along fine until the Kramer clue and then hit a wall. Even though I'm not a Seinfeld (or Friends) watcher I know enough to have the characters and actors in my mental TV-dex. I went to retrieve the guy who played Cosmo and hit a wall even though I could picture him and knew exactly who it was. It took more than 10 minutes of other online duties before the name popped right in and I could complete the set.
I too took a while to remember MIchael Richards. I've certainly seen enough reruns here and there, and watched enough TV in general, to have picked it up, but there are so many MIchaels out there. I was pretty sure it began with R and then maybe i or e, so I let it percolate for a bit - kept pulling Ritchie (like Lionel, though that may not be spelled right) and finally Richards popped. As I've said before, I'm very glad the SHC is NOT like Jeopardy in terms of time allowed to respond.

I've never seen Six Feet Under (no HBO until recently) or Orange is the New Black (not into streaming), but there was enough info in the clues to provide reasonably educated guesses.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 am That was the longest I've taken to answer a set of questions.
Same here, and I'm hoping it paid off a little bit. It was one of the first times I paused and re-looked at the category name instead of blurting out a wrong answer (if one can blurt with fingers). I could visualize Melissa McCarthy, but couldn't pull up the name of the show until I realized the category was about Mikes, and then it popped up.

I also spent some time thinking through the year of Luther's theses; it was actually the "Defender of the Faith" question later that led me to correct my original 1417. Henry VIII was "Defender of the Faith" before he broke with the church, Elizabeth I was his daughter, she was associated with Raleigh and the Spanish Armada and other events of the 16th century after the discovery of America, so 1517 was the most likely time for Henry to defend the faith. Does anyone else have weird circuitous paths they take to answers?

Also struggled just a bit with Anabaptist, but glad I went with it as the "suggested repeat" of a ritual. All I could think of was Catch-22, where one of the characters is giving the chaplain a hard time, saying, "You're an Anabaptist, but An- means 'not', so an Anabaptist is simply 'not a Baptist,' so you could be anything else. You need to tell us what you are, not what you're not."

Fortunately, the Jesuit question was instant. Though I'm neither Jesuit nor Catholic, I spent 18 years teaching for a Jesuit University, so I'm well versed in the school's "Ignatian Values."
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:07 am
I knew Michael J Fox was in one of those 90s sitcoms that I didn't watch but I guessed "Mad About You" instead of the correct "Spin City." I learned a few new things from today's questions.
I managed to dredge up "Family Ties," but had no clue about "Spin City" -- knew of it from the periphery of my consciousness, but I don't think I ever watched it, didn't know it won any Emmys, and didn't recall Fox being on it. Sigh. I think that half-a-question may have prevented my first-ever ace on a daily SHC.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 amThat was the longest I've taken to answer a set of questions.
I think this was the least amount of time I've taken to answer a set of questions this year. Which was nice after serving up a plateful of CLAMs in yesterday's round.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I never saw Mike & Molly. However, for years I've listened to a sports talk show on a local CBS station. Many of that station's commercials are promos for prime-time shows on CBS.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Thought I was going to have a really good day until I started reading other people's answers. Wondered why so many people were listing both of the Michael J. Fox shows (just show-offs, amiright?).

Nope, I am not right.

And.... that's gonna leave a mark :(
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

For R5D2, "Eat it" is no good; although the clue's wording is a bit awkward, the clue was asking for the name of the 1983 song that was parodied (not the parody that was quoted in the clue). "Eat it" was released in 1984. Sorry about that.