Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 5 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 5 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 »

I'll just say that the Calvin Harris category would have been great for those who are fans of Mr. Harris (and knew who he was without having to google him after submitting their responses. And knew who Ellie Goulding was.). :roll: A couple of the clues in that category, but only a couple, were gettable through other means (like knowing that "Barbadian singer" is Pavlovian for Rihanna).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I obviously have too much of the dumb to come up with a nonorientable surface, especially one that fits.

And d'oh, self, read the verb tense in the 2-pointer.
Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wpwells »

Math-adjacent question ftw
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 am I'll just say that the Calvin Harris category would have been great for those who are fans of Mr. Harris (and knew who he was without having to google him after submitting their responses. And knew who Ellie Goulding was.). :roll: A couple of the clues in that category, but only a couple, were gettable through other means (like knowing that "Barbadian singer" is Pavlovian for Rihanna).
Yeah, I got Rihanna because she's Barbadian, Florence Welch because I'm a huge fan, and Haim because they were the only current three-sister band I could think of (saw them on late-night TV a few months ago and googled them a bit, though I'd forgotten their first names). The other two, nope.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

That Calvin Harris category seemed almost non-navigable, especially in the higher-valued clues. I had never heard of the answers to 12 and 15. I'm not an expert in pop music, but I'm also 22, so I'm not unaware of what's going on in that world, either.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Argh. Joyce Carol Oates / Joyce Kilmer are two different people. Joyce Kilmer Oates is how they are stored in my brain.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm glad I didn't waste too much time pondering the Calvin Klein question since I've never heard of a Klein bottle.

And oops! I guess 'machine' isn't Pavlovian for Gloria Estefan.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

alietr wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:43 am I'm glad I didn't waste too much time pondering the Calvin Klein question since I've never heard of a Klein bottle.
I've heard of one, but that question completely stymied me by reversing the order! :lol:
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I knew I am in trouble as I have no idea who is Calvin Harris. Glad I can at least answer one. Toughie.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

NHO Calvin Harris so that entire category was a bust for me. Couldn't even tell you if he was a 60' country star, an 80's rap star or a current day pop star. Made a connection to Florence on the nine-pointer but didn't think just her first name would suffice so CLAMMED.
Leander

Post by Leander »

NHO of Calvin Harris, so knowing who Ellie Goulding is didn't help. At least I got two of them, I think.

NHO of Klein Bottle either, but suspected that Klein was part of the answer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I know exactly when I learned to match Trees to Joyce Kilmer[/i].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFMXxLW-bGc (28-second mark)

I don't know how many years later it was that I found out the poet was a man.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm probably in the minority, but it seems kind of lame to me to accept "Florence" for today's nine point clue.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Leander wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:08 am NHO of Klein Bottle either, but suspected that Klein was part of the answer.
I NHO Klein bottle either. It actually has 2 hits in the J! archive, but all the way back in 2001 and 2005, and in only one of those clues did the contestants need to name the bottle's eponymous scientist (and that clue was a TS).

And given the profusion of NYC fashion designers, it's remarkable that you even got to "Klein."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:51 am I NHO Klein bottle either. I
I only knew it because it came up in Learned League recently. Can't remember if it was a one day or one of the mini leagues.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am I'm probably in the minority, but it seems kind of lame to me to accept "Florence" for today's nine point clue.
Given the bloodbath that that category was (I haven't seen anyone correctly answer the 6- or 12-pointers yet, although I'm sure there will be some), I think it would be a nice gesture to accept "Florence." :D
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:56 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am I'm probably in the minority, but it seems kind of lame to me to accept "Florence" for today's nine point clue.
Given the bloodbath that that category was (I haven't seen anyone correctly answer the 6- or 12-pointers yet, although I'm sure there will be some), I think it would be a nice gesture to accept "Florence." :D
I also hope they accept Florence only...although I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't. I had no idea of her last name.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

It would, except we're trained to provide last names, so what about those of us who went "Well, I know her last name isn't "Andthemachine" or "Clam"..."?

(Obviously, while I have a dog in this fight, it's kinda academic in the grand scheme of the points, so *shrug*)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:19 am
It would, except we're trained to provide last names, so what about those of us who went "Well, I know her last name isn't "Andthemachine" or "Clam"..."?

(Obviously, while I have a dog in this fight, it's kinda academic in the grand scheme of the points, so *shrug*)
I agree. It's not really fair to those who clammed because they didn't know her last name.

To me the problem with accepting just "Florence" is that she's not known professionally by just a single name. If you look up any story about her online she will be referred to as "Florence Welch." It's not like Bono or Madonna who are known by just a single name.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:55 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:51 am I NHO Klein bottle either. I
I only knew it because it came up in Learned League recently. Can't remember if it was a one day or one of the mini leagues.
Klein bottles are basically the 3-D equivalent of a Möbius strip (well, not precisely, since one can simply make a Möbius strip). They're fairly familiar to people who are overeducated in math <raises hand> Oh, and add me to the list of people who NHO Calvin Harris.