J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Post Reply
User avatar
Steve McClellan
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:41 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA
Contact:

J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by Steve McClellan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Greetings all, I'm new to (this incarnation of) the board. I'm a web developer, and I've been working on this side project for more than a year.

https://j-scorer.com

On the game page, you can play along with the show and calculate your Coryat score. If you create an account, you can save your games and track your stats over time. You can also assign zero or more custom "topics" to each category, and see your results broken down by those topics, suggesting areas for further study. (More details on the help page.)

It tracks a bunch of stats. How many? Well, here's a sample stats page populated with my real data. Be sure to check all six tabs to get the full effect of the app's power (and my mediocrity).

This project is the centerpiece of my web development portfolio, and I'm still actively working on it in my free time. I'm currently working on making the stats filterable and weightable by date, which should be done later this month.

Feel free to take it for a spin, and share it with anyone else who may be interested.

If you notice any bugs or have any suggestions for additional features, please let me know. (If you have web design skills and can help make it look better, please let me know.)

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8745
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by dhkendall » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Your app intrigues me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I've been tracking my score since January, 2009. I track my scores here (it's a live file, updated every time I watch the show) - you'll notice that since June 1, 2012, I also have tracked my performance on every clue in the game as well, in anticipation for such a site that could help me track everything. But with 2,282 games (as of this writing) having my stats tracked by question, that might be a bit much to input every game manually by hand. Could I import these stats somehow?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8745
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by dhkendall » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 pm

One bug I've noticed, if you look at my Coryat tracker you'll notice I watch repeat episodes as well and track them - I find tracking my repeat watchings especially useful as it shows how much I've improved with the same set of data. However, your tracker doesn't allow someone to enter a show with the same airdate in a second time. I would really like it if the same show can be entered in multiple times, and each set of data saved on their own, as I said I find that very useful for comparing.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:21 am

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by flutist319 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:21 pm

This looks really cool! I'll be interested to try it out when the new season starts. :D

User avatar
Steve McClellan
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:41 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA
Contact:

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by Steve McClellan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:41 am

dhkendall wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:36 pm
But with 2,282 games (as of this writing) having my stats tracked by question, that might be a bit much to input every game manually by hand. Could I import these stats somehow?
I anticipated someone might want to do this. Having no idea what form their existing data might be in, though, it's been impossible to have something ready in advance. But I should be able to whip up an ad hoc solution if I know exactly what's needed. Right now, the app can't do anything with raw scores, but the games with clue-by-clue data shouldn't be a problem. I'll take a look at your data later today.
dhkendall wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 pm
One bug I've noticed, if you look at my Coryat tracker you'll notice I watch repeat episodes as well and track them - I find tracking my repeat watchings especially useful as it shows how much I've improved with the same set of data. However, your tracker doesn't allow someone to enter a show with the same airdate in a second time. I would really like it if the same show can be entered in multiple times, and each set of data saved on their own, as I said I find that very useful for comparing.
Alas, that isn't quite a bug - it was a design decision (as I needed a unique identifier for each game), and a fair amount of the app relies on that uniqueness. I actually created a second account for myself just for reruns, and anyone is welcome to do that.

Never having even heard of Daytime Jeopardy! before today, I wasn't aware that there'd be a desire for a lot of reruns, including the same episode happening multiple times in reruns.

All that said, I should be able to come up with a workaround. Are your needs met by just the following two changes?
1) Add a checkbox to the game entry page to indicate that the playing is of a rerun (which will modify the show date behind the scenes, but will be decoded to display properly on the stats page).
2) Display stats for only non-rerun playings by default, but add a filter option (similar to the play-types filter) allowing you to view first-run only, reruns only, or both.

If that works, I can probably have #1 done this weekend, and #2 either shortly thereafter, or add it to the filter overhaul that I've already got in progress, which should be out later this month.

EDITED several times, most recently 2017-09-08 7:41am EDT - posting in the early morning is a bad idea, it turns out.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8745
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by dhkendall » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:13 am

Steve McClellan wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:41 am
dhkendall wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:36 pm
But with 2,282 games (as of this writing) having my stats tracked by question, that might be a bit much to input every game manually by hand. Could I import these stats somehow?
I anticipated someone might want to do this. Having no idea what form their existing data might be in, though, it's been impossible to have something ready in advance. But I should be able to whip up an ad hoc solution if I know exactly what's needed. Right now, the app can't do anything with raw scores, but the games with clue-by-clue data shouldn't be a problem. I'll take a look at your data later today.
dhkendall wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 pm
One bug I've noticed, if you look at my Coryat tracker you'll notice I watch repeat episodes as well and track them - I find tracking my repeat watchings especially useful as it shows how much I've improved with the same set of data. However, your tracker doesn't allow someone to enter a show with the same airdate in a second time. I would really like it if the same show can be entered in multiple times, and each set of data saved on their own, as I said I find that very useful for comparing.
Alas, that isn't quite a bug - it was a design decision (as I needed a unique identifier for each game), and a fair amount of the app relies on that uniqueness. I actually created a second account for myself just for reruns, and anyone is welcome to do that.

Never having even heard of Daytime Jeopardy! before today, I wasn't aware that there'd be a desire for a lot of reruns, including the same episode happening multiple times in reruns.

All that said, I should be able to come up with a workaround. Are your needs met by just the following two changes?
1) Add a checkbox to the game entry page to indicate that the playing is of a rerun (which will modify the show date behind the scenes, but will be decoded to display properly on the stats page).
2) Display stats for only non-rerun playings by default, but add a filter option (similar to the play-types filter) allowing you to view first-run only, reruns only, or both.

If that works, I can probably have #1 done this weekend, and #2 either shortly thereafter, or add it to the filter overhaul that I've already got in progress, which should be out later this month.

EDITED several times, most recently 2017-09-08 7:41am EDT - posting in the early morning is a bad idea, it turns out.
Thanks for listening Steve! Yes these should indeed fit my needs, I'll let you know if I run across anything else.

I've already started entering my games (two so far, both the same game viewed different days to expressly test out the above), so only 2,281 to go! (I watched another episode yesterday). If you have any questions about my stats give me a shout, it'd of course save me a lot of work if they are input but I'd of course still have to go back and add categories etc. Looking forward to it though!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:49 pm
Location: Dublin, CA
Contact:

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by arjavrawal » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Cheers Steve for this great tool of yours. I personally find it a bit tedious to keep Coryats by hand so I end up just using a regular scorer to play along. Previously I hadn't seen a Coryat scorekeeping tool anywhere so avoided it until then. But this will certainly be useful for when Monday rolls around.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1437
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by boson » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:21 pm

It would be really cool if (with the J-Archive's permission) all you had to do was enter the date of the episode and your app went to the archive and retroactively filled in the categories/questions. I'd love to be able to play on my phone while watching, and being able to use this data later without too much typing on my part would be fun.

User avatar
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 pm
Contact:

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by SweepingDeveloper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:56 pm

This...is super awesome. I definitely look forward to using this website. I work nights, so I'm not able to watch the show, but I do practice with the Archive. All those stats, just awesome.

User avatar
Steve McClellan
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:41 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA
Contact:

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by Steve McClellan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:37 pm

boson wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:21 pm
It would be really cool if (with the J-Archive's permission) all you had to do was enter the date of the episode and your app went to the archive and retroactively filled in the categories/questions.
This is the most common request I've gotten, and I'd love to do it. It's not something I'd do without the Archive team's blessing, though, and last I knew, at least one Archivist was strongly opposed to the data being used anywhere else. If I'm ever reliably informed that the situation has changed, that integration will quickly move to the top of my to-do list.

User avatar
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Maine

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by billiej » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:58 pm

Thank you, so far I like it.

User avatar
Steve McClellan
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:41 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA
Contact:

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by Steve McClellan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:22 pm

It's been a really busy year, so I haven't made as much progress as I'd hoped, but I just figured that I'd mention here on Season 35 Eve that the J! Scorer is still up and running, and I've just added the ability to filter stats by show date, date played, and rerun status.

Feel free to check it out at https://j-scorer.com.

User avatar
Euphonium
Valued Contributor
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by Euphonium » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:04 pm

This is great, thanks so much for creating it!

Maybe it's there and I'm just not seeing it, but if not would it be possible to add a way to share one's games and statistics with others? Say an option to add a query string to https://j-scorer.com/stats like ?userId=whatever or https://j-scorer.com/game?gameId=whatever (or however you keep track of them internally)?
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

User avatar
Steve McClellan
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:41 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA
Contact:

Re: J! Scorer - A Coryat calculator and stat tracker

Post by Steve McClellan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Euphonium wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:04 pm
Maybe it's there and I'm just not seeing it, but if not would it be possible to add a way to share one's games and statistics with others?
Such a feature does not presently exist.

While I can easily produce a shareable version of any user's stats page (like I've done for mine at https://j-scorer.com/sample), the primary issue is that I'm not going to make anyone's stats publicly available without their specific consent, and designing/implementing a system to do this properly will take more time than I'm willing to invest in the near future.

In the meantime, if anyone really wants the equivalent of my sample stats page with their own stats to live at https://j-scorer.com/stats/<someUniqueIdentifier>, drop me an email from the address you registered with, to the address on the site, and let me know what unique identifier you'd like.

Sharing individual games would require a large change to the underlying code, one that I won't be making anytime soon. That said, it's an open-source project. Anyone is welcome to make the change (or any other) themselves. Submit a pull request, and I'll merge it as long as it's decent code that absolutely honors users' privacy unless that user has specifically agreed to share.

Post Reply