Monday, September 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

SBurrus wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:25 pm I have not read through the game thread because...

...I lost power at the house Monday afternoon due to Hurricane Irma and did not get to see the season premiere. Does someone have the link to the website where previous day's episodes can be viewed?

Thanks so much!
the reddit guy: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Wpwells wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm I couldn't get anywhere with the FJ! clue and ended up just going with Kipling to get a guess in, even though I couldn't imagine that was right.
Ditto. And so it begins. The writers must have spent all summer coming up with an FJ clue to begin the season that was right up there with Liederkranz. Do you happen to know this? How? Did you visit O'Keeffe's home and sit under the tree yourself? How else would anyone know this?

For starters I couldn't guess whether the clue might have referred to an English-born writer who happened to be in NM or one who sat under a tree where Georgia happened to have planted it when visiting the UK.

Pick an English-born writer born a decade or more after 1929. Pick any one at all. OK: Rowling.

Grumble, grumble. This can't go on. Can it, writers?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 pm FJ made me wonder if Lew Wallace was born in Britain. It's good to have new episodes back since given what I've been going through lately, having some normalcy is good.
...or if he sat under a tree planted in 1929? Unlikely since he served in the Civil War. But hey, it's as good a guess as any.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

To me the framing of the clue wasn't that challenging. It seemed to clearly point to an English-born writer who had spent some time near Taos, New Mexico sometime prior to 1929. If you knew who that was it was a slam dunk. But based on the results so far it seems like a fairly obscure fact.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:08 pm To me the framing of the clue wasn't that challenging. It seemed to clearly point to an English-born writer who had spent some time near Taos, New Mexico sometime prior to 1929. If you knew who that was it was a slam dunk. But based on the results so far it seems like a fairly obscure fact.
Maybe Lawrence's vogue has passed, but I read him in college and his I remember his time in New Mexico featuring prominently in any biographical materials. Taos-Lawrence may not be a J! Pavlov but I consider it a literary one...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:38 amThe eclipse must have burned up some brain cells as my reflexes were slower and questions were harder than I remembered. I didn't even run History of Science but I did get Priestly and Lawrence easy enough and knew they would be negbait for the contestants.
Same here. Still lagging from my return trip from California on Monday. But Priestly and Lawrence would be tough for me any day of the week, unless they were going for Jason Priestly and Joey Lawrence :lol:

FJ? not in a million years
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Wheatley wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:10 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:52 pm Back in Black for $200 was a coinflip on Marvel/DC.
The clue implied that their movies were good. That narrows it down for me.
Not even that. $10 billion combined box office, DCEU has 3/4 movies total in it. Pretty sure we would've heard if Bats V Supes broke Avatar's record...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

That FJ was YEKIOYD. Unless you're from New Mexico, who's heard of the Lawrence Tree?
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:52 pmBack in Black for $200 was a coinflip on Marvel/DC.
Marvel has a "Cinematic" universe. DC has an "Extended" universe, so it was Marvel.

I saw a movie about D. H. Lawrence in New Mexico. All I recall is leaving his ashes behind somewhere. Turns out Ian McKellan (Gandalf/Magneto) played Lawrence. I had totally forgotten its title Priest of Love.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.