Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:43 am
triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:32 am Well that's new. My guess would be because there are now paid audience members, who likely don't know the answers, and many viewers would suddenly cry conspiracy for the lifeline being useless because it "used to work every time".
What? PAID audience members?!??
Yes it's true. The show wants the seats to be filled, but can't get enough people to fill them, so they pay to have people there. Many shows do this now, it's been happening for a while.

Really, I was expecting to see it in the New York days when they were having trouble filling the studio toward the end of their days in the original studio, and even on the west side.

I never did get to Harlem or Connecticut, so I don't know how full things would get in those locations.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

mrbungle was on the first run episode and a recap in pictures is not enough for someone always so entertaining, so here is a video link for an edit of the episode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... xnTTA/view

WARNING: The thumbnail is a spoiler, so blur your eyes and click in the middle.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 pm mrbungle was on the first run episode and a recap in pictures is not enough for someone always so entertaining, so here is a video link for an edit of the episode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... xnTTA/view

This time it's personal!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Spoiler
As a TV-phile who enjoyed GLOW, and a child of the 80s that remembers GLOW, I was screaming at my computer screen. And then I probably would've burned a lifeline on that frozen food question (because the idea of it having a HOF sounded so absurd that I initially rejected it), then slapped my forehead when 'Birdseye' and 'Totino' clicked. Also would've needed audience help with that grasshopper question. Blech.

That was probably the funniest +1 I've seen in a while, and watching you run through all those countries in search of an -o was hilarious, though more contestants should take your example and think through their answers. Retroactive good luck!
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 pm mrbungle was on the first run episode and a recap in pictures is not enough for someone always so entertaining, so here is a video link for an edit of the episode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... xnTTA/view

thank you so much, Mark Barrett!! you are too kind!!!
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

ElendilPickle wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:42 pm This time it's personal!
THIS TIME IT'S PERSONAL!!!!!!! :)
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

thank you, xxaaaxx!!!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

You came up with Liechtenstein but skipped over Monaco?!!? Obviously your hearing is going that you didn't hear me screaming. Plus you really had me worried with The Fugitive. RTFQ, Ryan! I'm looking forward to the denouement, but hopefully not for a while.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:27 am You came up with Liechtenstein but skipped over Monaco?!!? Obviously your hearing is going that you didn't hear me screaming. Plus you really had me worried with The Fugitive. RTFQ, Ryan! I'm looking forward to the denouement, but hopefully not for a while.
it would've been much easier to think of the other -o countries if i could have silently thought, but they tell you that if you are silent they'll force you to answer, whereas as long as you keep talking you can take as much time as you want, so...

the aired version was pretty edited btw. at one point i mentioned that burkina faso capital ouagadougou is a capital that begins with an o, but that doesn't count. it didn't occur to me in the moment that i had just said "burkina faso."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mrbungle wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:59 am
alietr wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:27 am You came up with Liechtenstein but skipped over Monaco?!!? Obviously your hearing is going that you didn't hear me screaming. Plus you really had me worried with The Fugitive. RTFQ, Ryan! I'm looking forward to the denouement, but hopefully not for a while.
it would've been much easier to think of the other -o countries if i could have silently thought, but they tell you that if you are silent they'll force you to answer, whereas as long as you keep talking you can take as much time as you want, so...

the aired version was pretty edited btw. at one point i mentioned that burkina faso capital ouagadougou is a capital that begins with an o, but that doesn't count. it didn't occur to me in the moment that i had just said "burkina faso."
I couldn't think of another one that started with O other than Oman. Looking it up, Oman is the only one.

I can say Ouagadougou out loud all day long. That's pretty funny about Burkina Faso. The lights, they do strange things to a person.

I would have been 98% certain on Qatar/Iraq right off as well, but I would have gone through the Os just to make sure, just like you.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

mrbungle wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:59 am

The filibuster is always way more interesting. Glad you can just let them clean it up in editing.

Enjoyable game so far -- good continued retro luck!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Since I posted a video yesterday it's only fair I do the same today: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing

Comments:
Spoiler
$30K in the bank, lifelines gone and looking at the $50K question is always a tough spot for a player.

In alternate universe A: Does using the audience for the TV/Movie question, only the 50:50 for the ballpark food and having the +1 for Grace Kelly make any difference?

Universe B: ATA for the TV/Movie, +1 for the ballpark food and 50:50 for Grace Kelly.

congrats on the 5-figure win and another game show appearance, ryan. you are always fun to watch and it's easy to see why casting people call you.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:32 pm Since I posted a video yesterday it's only fair I do the same today: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing
thank you for making the videos, Mark! :)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Clearly the writers were going for the Fugitive, but technically speaking, is there no correct answer to this question? The Fugitive was both a tv show that became a movie AND a movie that became a tv show.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler
Good job, Ryan! If it's any solace, I did the same exact thing -- I thought it was Cassini, but I would not have had enough confidence to have risked it and would have walked. I think you played it exactly right; $25k was a lot to throw away.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:05 am Clearly the writers were going for the Fugitive, but technically speaking, is there no correct answer to this question? The Fugitive was both a tv show that became a movie AND a movie that became a tv show.
Just because the title was previously used doesn't mean it "became" the show.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All of the questions from the 9/29 single run episode:
Spoiler
$30,000
25-year-old Harriet Weaver used her last lifeline, her boyfriend.
Next:
Spoiler
He gave Harriet enough assurance to go with "Get off my plane" from Air Force One with Harrison Ford as the president pushing a guy off his plane.
Next:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Harriet worked out where the countries are including Mecca being in Saudi Arabia and decided to gamble that Indonesia was the one.
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
It was a free guess. Harriet decided Roosevelts were all related to each other and that Eisenhower was too unusual a name. She liked Bush or Nixon for the guess. C: Edgar Nixon final answer
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
Harriet did not know and decided not to guess in leaving with $100,000.
Next:
Spoiler
The answer was First team to score 21 runs for an episode with only 4 questions not counting the question of the day that plays during a commercial break. If you watch the show on video be ready to give the fast forward button a lot of work. :)
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

thank you, alietr!!! :)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:08 pm
Woppy T wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:05 am Clearly the writers were going for the Fugitive, but technically speaking, is there no correct answer to this question? The Fugitive was both a tv show that became a movie AND a movie that became a tv show.
Just because the title was previously used doesn't mean it "became" the show.
Sure it does. It was much more than just using the same title.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:58 pm All of the questions from the 9/29 single run episode:
Spoiler
$30,000
25-year-old Harriet Weaver used her last lifeline, her boyfriend.
Spoiler
I have a problem with this question. Clint Eastwood pulled the trigger after saying "well, do ya, punk?" but his gun was empty, so it wasn't really fired.