Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 pm Can someone please post highlights from Kristin Sausville's game on Tuesday? Thanks.
This is the Kristin Sausville portion of the Tuesday show: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... dPeDA/view
Thank you!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

ElendilPickle wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:11 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 pm Can someone please post highlights from Kristin Sausville's game on Tuesday? Thanks.
This is the Kristin Sausville portion of the Tuesday show: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... dPeDA/view
Thank you!
YW and here are the relevant parts of today's episode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... dmQVU/view
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Thanks Mark.
Spoiler
Surprised to see her lock in on Mauritius (which comes from Prince Maurice of Nassau of the Netherlands, Mauritius is the Latin version of that name) after correctly identifying that Argentina comes from Latin for "silver". Oddly enough, Maurice originally comes from the Latin for "person from Mauritania" (Mauritania was Latin for "land of the Moors"), which helps explain why those countries are similarly named while not being in close proximity to each other.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:41 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:11 pm
Thank you!
YW and here are the relevant parts of today's episode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... dmQVU/view
And thank you again!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

So I guess this is the second time that Kristin Sausville has been the lone contestant for the big prize of a trivia show. :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:04 pm Thanks Mark.
Spoiler
Surprised to see her lock in on Mauritius (which comes from Prince Maurice of Nassau of the Netherlands, Mauritius is the Latin version of that name) after correctly identifying that Argentina comes from Latin for "silver". Oddly enough, Maurice originally comes from the Latin for "person from Mauritania" (Mauritania was Latin for "land of the Moors"), which helps explain why those countries are similarly named while not being in close proximity to each other.
Spoiler
Exactly. I don't know how she talked herself out of Argentina. I didn't know Maurice (the pompatus of love), but silver should have nailed it. It was at least worth 50/50 to see if those were the two left. I was waffling between port and pale, and probably would have gotten suckered by the audience response into port. That was a bummer; $5k doesn't buy a lot of koi, unfortunately. Hope you had fun, though, Kristin!
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:53 pm
Spoiler
Exactly. I don't know how she talked herself out of Argentina. I didn't know Maurice (the pompatus of love), but silver should have nailed it. It was at least worth 50/50 to see if those were the two left. I was waffling between port and pale, and probably would have gotten suckered by the audience response into port. That was a bummer; $5k doesn't buy a lot of koi, unfortunately. Hope you had fun, though, Kristin!
Spoiler
I disagree; Kristin was absolutely right to save the 50/50. B & C were the two obvious wrong answers, and there's no way the producers are leaving a layup for the 50/50 on a threshold question.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This has all of the questions from the 10/25 show (question of the day not included): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing

Muffy Marracco joins the list of people who were both a +1 (Michael Rankins) and contestant. She was also on S2 of 500 Questions..
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Just watched the Monday show today. What the hell kind of question was that fractured hip question for such a low level? I saw nothing that could lead to the counterintuitive correct answer. They must have decided they hated that guy. Am I missing something?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bomtr wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:25 pm Just watched the Monday show today. What the hell kind of question was that fractured hip question for such a low level? I saw nothing that could lead to the counterintuitive correct answer. They must have decided they hated that guy. Am I missing something?
Since not everyone watches the show:

$5,000
A study in The Journal of the American Medical Association found that older people were much less likely to fracture their hip if they had undergone what procedure?
A: Appendectomy
B: Gallstone removal
C: Cataract surgery
D: Coronary bypass

Answer:
Spoiler
C - better vision means fewer falls.
What contestant Roy Green did:
Spoiler
50:50 left Cataract & Gallstone and he went the wrong way leaving before reaching the $5k threshold.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Have to admit that line of reasoning did not occur to me. That many people fit the bill to make it 'much' less likely or much less likely than the people with the condition who do not have the procedure?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

This is a test of test-taking skills; in medical school we learned how to pass exams being sleep deprived and inadequately prepared:

Upon inspection, notice:

A: Appendectomy >> major abdominal procedure (lifethreatening)
B: Gallstone removal >> invasive abdominal procedure (now they do it by laparoscopy, but nevermind that! still can be lifethreatening)
C: Cataract surgery >> minor outpatient eye surgery
D: Coronary bypass >> major thoracic procedure (lifethreatening)
Spoiler
Pick the one that doesn't fit! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm This has all of the questions from the 10/25 show (question of the day not included): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing

Muffy Marracco joins the list of people who were both a +1 (Michael Rankins) and contestant. She was also on S2 of 500 Questions..
She was also on two episodes of The Chase.
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The three questions that concluded the 10/26 episode:
Spoiler
$30,000
Next:
Spoiler
Liz Farley used her last lifeline +1 husband. He's from Cleveland so knew all about Larry Doby playing baseball for the Indians.
Next:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Liz's dad taught Shakespeare for over 30 years. She worked her way through the answers to lock in King Lear.
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
Liz knew Scut Farkus was from A Christmas Story.
Next:
Spoiler
Liz thought Hardy Jenns and Stan Gable sounded familiar, so she locked in Buff Orpington as her final answer.
Next:
Spoiler
Liz returns to look at the $250K question tomorrow. Stan Gable was played by Ted McGinley in Revenge of the Nerds and Hardy Jenns is in Some Kind of Wonderful.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:42 pm Next:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Damn, I forgot all about that scene AND I figured King Lear must've talked to a ghost during his decent into madness.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:59 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:42 pm Next:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Damn, I forgot all about that scene AND I figured King Lear must've talked to a ghost during his decent into madness.
I remembered enough from the FJ in Ken Jennings's $75,000 game to answer this one confidently (and correctly).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Three of the questions from the 10/27 show:
Spoiler
Liz Farley
Next:
Spoiler
She thought about going for Mexico and the United States, but walked with her $100,000. The correct answer was C: Brazil & Colombia
Next:
Spoiler
Jay Alexander going for $10,000
Next:
Spoiler
Jay used his +1 and they worked out that A = Big & B = Splash. Jay used the audience and they had 61% for D. That was correct as C = Sully (38% 2nd choice)
Next:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Jay had no lifelines left and did not want to walk. He thought a movie was a good first date. He was not sure that AMC theater or Barnes & Noble were around in 1989. He decided that Baskin-Robbins looks good and tastes good. A: - Final Answer
Next:
Spoiler
In what has happened more this season than in previous ones Jay was correct and will return on Monday. I like it that way as in the past it was always obvious a contestant was done as time was just about up on a Friday. Now it can go both ways to have more excitement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:08 pm Three of the questions from the 10/27 show:
Spoiler
Liz Farley
Next:
Spoiler
She thought about going for Mexico and the United States, but walked with her $100,000. The correct answer was C: Brazil & Colombia
Spoiler
I nailed it. Brazil is huge. For the record (using an air miles calculator from the airports), Oslo/Moscow is 1,033 miles; Mexico City/DC is 1,881; Brasilia/Bogota is 2,290; and New Delhi/Islamabad is 423 miles.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:35 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:08 pm Three of the questions from the 10/27 show:
Spoiler
Liz Farley
Next:
Spoiler
Spoiler
I nailed it. Brazil is huge. For the record (using an air miles calculator from the airports), Oslo/Moscow is 1,033 miles; Mexico City/DC is 1,881; Brasilia/Bogota is 2,290; and New Delhi/Islamabad is 423 miles.
Spoiler
I knew it would be close for the Mexico/US distance by air, but wondered if the land mileage might be a wrinkle. Not a problem as the land mileage for the South American route is over 4K miles, compared to 2400 for the Norte americanos.
I'm glad to find this thread. I like the questions, but can't bear to watch the show because of the lack of action and the manufactured hype and drama. Not judging, to each her own. I just can't wait 10 minutes for a reveal and another brain teaser.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:21 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:35 pm
Spoiler
Liz Farley
Next:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
I knew it would be close for the Mexico/US distance by air, but wondered if the land mileage might be a wrinkle. Not a problem as the land mileage for the South American route is over 4K miles, compared to 2400 for the Norte americanos.
I'm glad to find this thread. I like the questions, but can't bear to watch the show because of the lack of action and the manufactured hype and drama. Not judging, to each her own. I just can't wait 10 minutes for a reveal and another brain teaser.
that is why the fast forward button was invented :p
Total game show career losings = $171,522