Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

seaborgium wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:48 pm It was unfortunate that Scott, a stronger player than many who preceded him, couldn't trust the audience enough to make the jump from $30,000 to a 1 in 4 chance at $100k. I wonder how it would have played if he'd asked the audience before the 50:50; I think Russian would have stayed above 50%, with none of the other choices reaching half that, and he might have managed to be more confident with that, perhaps even getting to 50k with the 50:50 still at his disposal.
As a general rule however, this is the type of question where the audience is useless.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

IronNeck wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:13 pm Excellent update Mark, but a small heads-up that your first Jeopardy link is to the admin portion of the site. Also,
Spoiler
I know I'm biased, but surely between Greek and Russian the answer is obviously the latter? I wonder if it's a tough question in general for people with good trivia knowledge but limited knowledge of either language, or if Scott simply hit upon a bad question for his knowledge base?
Knew Cyrillic before the choices even came up. 8-)
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:11 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:48 pm It was unfortunate that Scott, a stronger player than many who preceded him, couldn't trust the audience enough to make the jump from $30,000 to a 1 in 4 chance at $100k. I wonder how it would have played if he'd asked the audience before the 50:50; I think Russian would have stayed above 50%, with none of the other choices reaching half that, and he might have managed to be more confident with that, perhaps even getting to 50k with the 50:50 still at his disposal.
As a general rule however, this is the type of question where the audience is useless.
They were right, though, and given it was the last question in the second tier, he was at the edge of the ATA's window of usefulness anyway. He shouldn't have done the 50:50 first.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:11 pm
Unless you sway those that don't know by turning their focus to a known incorrect answer...I've heard this strategy can work.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No spoilers today. The president spoke this morning and that bumped the local news to the 11:30 slot when I expected to get the show on my DVR. I missed getting the Austin telecast and I don't know of any later CBS telecasts I can pick up. Did Dan get on stage as the plus one?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:27 pm No spoilers today. The president spoke this morning and that bumped the local news to the 11:30 slot when I expected to get the show on my DVR. I missed getting the Austin telecast and I don't know of any later CBS telecasts I can pick up. Did Dan get on stage as the plus one?
I'm glad I wasn't proactive about deleting my recording!

Ria got to the $10,000 question, which was "If you order a McDonald's Quarter Pounder when you're in a place that uses the metric system, how much does your burger weigh?" (Never mind that it should weigh the same regardless of whether the metric system is in use.) The choices were A. 13.4 grams, B. 31.4 grams, C. 113.4 grams, and D. 311.4 grams.
Spoiler
She said she wasn't well versed on the metric system, and laughingly said that her dad was and was probably in agony watching at that moment. She thought A or B made the most sense, used her 50:50, and became a rare (I presume) example of someone who narrowed it down to two and ended up seeing both of them removed.

She then called on Dan, and said, "I know you said you aren't good at math, but I think you probably got this one." Dan expressed his wish that he could be swapped with her dad, but added that at least he knew it wasn't A or B. He thought Ria should go for it, but he said that since he's a gambler she should "take it with a gram of salt." They both had a gut feeling 113.4 was the best answer, and Ria went for it, locking in C.

The $20,000 question asked for the "Palo Alto tech firm founded in 1939" that developed a self-flushing urinal and a bowling lane foul line indicator in the early days of Silicon Valley. Ria walked because she couldn't choose between Intel, IBM, Cisco Systems, and Hewlett-Packard.
Spoiler
The next contestant, Ruben Mancillas, got to the $7,000 question:
By writing "stet" next to it and placing a series of dots under it, a copy editor is suggesting the writer do what to an edited text?
A. Put it in boldface B. Leave it unchanged C. Delete it D. Add quotation marks.

He asked the audience, and they came back with 22%, 24%, 29%, and 25%. Then he used the 50:50, which left him with B and D. He couldn't imagine there would be a need to mark a word for it to remain unchanged, so he locked in D and went home with $5,000.

There was enough time to play Thousandaire. The audience member was asked what founding father's name could be derived from Woodrow Wilson's birth name and Bill Clinton's middle name. He got it right in what looked to me like a wild guess.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thank you Sg for taking the time to post the episode summary. That was perfect to give me a taste of what I missed.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:27 pm No spoilers today. The president spoke this morning and that bumped the local news to the 11:30 slot when I expected to get the show on my DVR. I missed getting the Austin telecast and I don't know of any later CBS telecasts I can pick up. Did Dan get on stage as the plus one?
The president's speech affected my network as well, but it was only the second part of the episode. I at least got to see Dan on the stage. A bit sad I missed a whole contestant's run though, at least I'm not the only one. I would have been even more devastated if I was the contestant.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A summary of the 5/9 show with the good stuff:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Wyatt Evans going for $5,000
Next:
Spoiler
Wyatt: Chris, I don't mean to offend you, but I unfortunately do not watch the show.
Chris: I hope you enjoyed your time here.
Next:
Spoiler
Chris: Wow, you really don't watch the show.  [Laughter]  Wyatt left with all three lifelines available.
Next:
Spoiler
Chris Lastrapes: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10234

and not his first rodeo: 
$20,000
Next:
Spoiler
Chris used his first lifeline the 50:50 and it left South West Africa & South East Africa.
Next:
Spoiler
Chris guessed right that it was South West Africa.
$30,000
Next:
Spoiler
Chris led the audience towards D and the they agreed giving him 81% for the right answer.
$50,000
The +1 and his first words were, "No idea."
Next:
Spoiler
Chris left with $30,000 and the correct answer was Theodore Roosevelt.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Wyatt's ending was unfortunate; he seemed pretty knowledgeable, and that question was crying out for the ATA. Somehow I knew it; I credit the morning radio I listened to every day at my last job. There was a weekly segment where one of the supporting personalities (who, like me, was let go in the latter half of last year) recapped whichever "Bachelor"-related show had aired the night before.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:22 pm Wyatt's ending was unfortunate; he seemed pretty knowledgeable, and that question was crying out for the ATA. Somehow I knew it; I credit the morning radio I listened to every day at my last job. There was a weekly segment where one of the supporting personalities (who, like me, was let go in the latter half of last year) recapped whichever "Bachelor"-related show had aired the night before.
I've never watched The Bachelor and didn't even know the host of Millionaire hosted that show too until very recently, but I knew the answer to that one because there were a slew of mainstream news articles about it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don't watch the Bachelorette, but I know it has been on a long time and I wouldn't have thought the first black would have appeared as recently as last year.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Two questions from today's 5/10 episode with an immediate spoiler in the first spoiler:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Matt Laughery left with all his lifelines remaining.  Was this taped before August 21st?
Next:
Spoiler
Eileen Roddy had this fun puzzler for $20,000
Next:
Spoiler
Eileen had no lifelines remaining and walked with her $10,000.
Next:
Spoiler
The answer to the first one was of course C: Solar Eclipse
The answer to the next one was D: Intact
That one does not have enough letters to make Titanic.
The others were:
Spotlight
Crash
Wings
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

After how she did on the $5,000 question, I knew she wasn't getting past that last one. (It didn't record, so I have to paraphrase.)

Knitters refer to undoing stitches by what clever term? A. Tinking B. Wesing C. Tehcorcing D. Mooling
Spoiler
She used ATA and 50:50 on it, and ended up with 34% saying A and 17% saying D.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

seaborgium wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:43 pm After how she did on the $5,000 question, I knew she wasn't getting past that last one. (It didn't record, so I have to paraphrase.)

Knitters refer to undoing stitches by what clever term? A. Tinking B. Wesing C. Tehcorcing D. Mooling
Spoiler
She used ATA and 50:50 on it, and ended up with 34% saying A and 17% saying D.
This one kicked my butt as much as it did for her. I knew something was up with "Teh" at the beginning of C but didn't figure out the wordplay until it was too late.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

That movie question stumped me... I knew Wings, but didn't know the others. I kinda-sorta remember the existence of a movie called Crash, but only after being reminded by Scott's explanation.

Spotlight? No recollection of this title at all. Must be something from the last few years, I dunno. I pretty-much stopped paying attention to showbiz around 1990-ish.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:30 am That movie question stumped me... I knew Wings, but didn't know the others. I kinda-sorta remember the existence of a movie called Crash, but only after being reminded by Scott's explanation.

Spotlight? No recollection of this title at all. Must be something from the last few years, I dunno. I pretty-much stopped paying attention to showbiz around 1990-ish.
2015 for Spotlight (year after Birdman) and year before Moonlight for "Light" double play than can help in recalling winners. The Shape of Water is most recent.

I am terrible at anagrams and had to rework the letters several times to get CRASH. WINGS was the first one I had. Even though I was looking at STOPLIGHT I kept processing it as the correct title and thinking I needed to rework it into something else such as LIGHTPOTS. I went through years of winners before realizing I was working too hard. Only after I knew the right answer did I figure out it was the 1997 winner a letter shy.

On the other hand the backwards word play for the knit Q was insta.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That's the good thing about Millionaire -- you can take as much time as you need. My understanding is some of the longer ponderings are edited out.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

alietr wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:49 pm That's the good thing about Millionaire -- you can take as much time as you need. My understanding is some of the longer ponderings are edited out.
I thought to myself when watching that I would say "well, there are 119 other permutations of CHARS, so if you'll permit me 2.5 seconds apiece to go through them, Chris, I can keep or eliminate it in the next 5 minutes." and wait for the eyerolls.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

alietr wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:49 pm That's the good thing about Millionaire -- you can take as much time as you need. My understanding is some of the longer ponderings are edited out.
As long as you're making "forward progress," you're allowed to think as long as necessary. If they see you fumbling around just trying to buy time, they can force you to walk away. This is why they encourage you to say absolutely everything out loud and not think in your head; they can't tell if you're making progress or spacing out otherwise.