Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dinghammer
No Relation

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dinghammer »

Spoiler
I thought that Tapper/Topher/Tapir/Taper question was funny and easy, so that was... an experience to watch. I'd also like to thank "existing in the world" for teaching me that Lil Yachty is a person.

Vermonter: Grape job, and good retro-luck for tomorrow! I don't follow @jonfavs, but I've seen enough of his tweets to know that was the answer, and I swear he used to have something like "I didn't direct Iron Man" in his bio.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is the 2/22 episode with a spoiler free thumbnail.
Spoiler
Comments on the game:
Spoiler
Getting the $20,000 - $100,000 questions right with no lifelines?  Applause.  Sorry the next one did not go your way, Keith.  I was in agreement with the logic you and Elliot had for the next one.  Credit to the writers for a tempting wrong answer.  What do you think would have been left with the 50:50?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Spoiler
:cry:
Great run. I would've picked Plato for the same reason you did, burned a lifeline on marocain (and kicked myself for not memorizing those spelling bee words for trivia purposes), and been done in by self-help. Since that question was pure evil, I'm betting 50:50 would've left C and D anyway.

CONGRATS KEITH!!! And Keith's mom!
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Thanks, Mark!
Spoiler
Chris said the 50/50 would have left B & D. More to follow…
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Vermonter wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:45 pm Thanks, Mark!
Spoiler
Chris said the 50/50 would have left B & D. More to follow…
i'm surprised they told you what would've been left.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Screenshot during the subsequent contestant's run, presented without further comment:
Attachments
vlcsnap-7687-04-12-08h04m49s810.jpg
vlcsnap-7687-04-12-08h04m49s810.jpg (180.92 KiB) Viewed 6208 times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Spoiler
I taped the shows just to see how you did. I be curious to know how many of us here would have been of help on your final question (I sure wouldn't have been). Hey, $50k is a nice consolation prize!
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

Spoiler
Nice job, Keith! THAT is the way you play the game. Yeah, unless you knew it, the $250K question is tricky.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Hopefully the $50k will salve the wounds and get your mother somewhere nice and relaxing and something left over for yourself. I was really hoping you were going to break their bank. I was toast on marocain, but I still had all of my lifelines at that point. I was leaning toward the heart surgery on the Johari Window, but talking it out with Carol Anne, I started edging toward self-help (sounds Indian, they do that sort of thing was my thinking). Don't know that I would have taken the plunge, though. You were entertaining (more so than the usual), and great to see you up there!

As it happens, I came across a Buzzfeed quiz yesterday which was basically a Millionaire stack from 2001. I can't believe how easy they were back then. I sailed through it to the million (and got that, as well) without even pausing. Different game nowadays.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is not the complete 2/23 episode, but it's enough of a taste: 
Spoiler
The dirty rotten thumbnail (there needs to be user control over it, Google) is a lifeline spoiler, so blur eyes and click in the middle to avoid it.

nice job by the +1 and always fun to see him on a game show.

Comments about the show:
Spoiler
Both players went out on a song question.  I do not see David Schuchinski in the Archive unless I'm spelling his name wrong.  If he had auditioned before and not got the call then the CCs made a mistake.  He's clearly J! material.

Karen had to work for her $5,000 using two lifelines just to get to that level.   Too bad as perhaps the ATA or 50:50 could have helped on the "Despacito" one.  

The coin question was one with different ways to work it out.  I did 20 cents for the two dimes and the 48 pennies = 68 cents in each roll.  That $1.36 + $1.36 = $2.72 in total from the four rolls.  I want $20.00, so the difference is $17.28.

To check my work I did a roll = $5.00 and I'm getting 68 cents so I'm losing $4.32 per roll.  $4.32 x 4 = $16.00 + $.32 x 4 = $1.28, so $17.28 in total.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:57 pm nice job by the +1 and always fun to see him on a game show.
thank you for the kind words (and for posting the video), MarkBarrett! :)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Spoiler
I'm curious whether that bit about MMMBop is well known. My reaction was along the lines of 'you gotta be effing kidding me with that question, Millionaire', but then I utterly despacito despised that song so I sure as hell never cared about the lyrics. Maybe it's obvious in context, or just a music trivia staple.

I'm glad she worked out the math question w/o burning her last lifeline.

And hey, a Ryan Chaffee sighting! Nice job attacking that question from multiple angles. Had he not burned the +1 there, would you have known the answer to the MMMBop question?
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

Spoiler
thank you, xxaaaxx!

i did not know the mmmbop one. i ask-the-audience voted for "the sound of a heart breaking," but i would have admitted that i had absolutely no clue if i had been called up for that question. :(
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Congratulations, Keith. I loved the way you played. Sorry that it didn't result in an even bigger payday for you.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:56 pm
Spoiler
I'm curious whether that bit about MMMBop is well known. My reaction was along the lines of 'you gotta be effing kidding me with that question, Millionaire', but then I utterly despacito despised that song so I sure as hell never cared about the lyrics. Maybe it's obvious in context, or just a music trivia staple.
Spoiler
Outside of the nonsense-plus-"yeah" chorus of "MMMBop," the title shows up in the lyrics "in an mmmbop they're gone" and "in an mmmbop they're not there." Even if you don't remember the title vocalization used in a sentence, the first verse goes "You have so many relationships in this life/Only one or two will last/You go through all the pain and strife/You turn your back and they're gone so fast," which might clue you toward choosing B or C (the sound of a heart breaking), the latter of which was eliminated in the 50/50. Basically, if you didn't know that fact already, you had to know some of the actually-words lyrics to that song.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:56 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
If you know the lyrics to the song, it's a slam dunk.

"You have so many relationships in this life. Only one or two will last. You go through all the pain and strife, then you turn your back and they're gone so fast...In an mmmbop, they're gone."

I think a similar question asked the name of the boyfriend in "Macarena". We've all heard the song a million times, but do you remember all the words?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A guy on today's show got out picking an 11-letter word in response to a question asking for a ten-letter word.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Nice job by the Bungle!

I have to admit I was comfortable enough with 'kiss' on MMMBop that I would have gone ahead and guessed it, and I am decidedly not a guesser. That was just plain nasty. The more I see the stacks this year, the more impressed I am that Keith even saw the $250k.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:32 pm A guy on today's show got out picking an 11-letter word in response to a question asking for a ten-letter word.
Copied from the Bobby McBride site:
Spoiler
https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/category/millionaire/

$10K: Which 10-letter H word can refer to a light purple flower or a green/red mineral also known as a bloodstone?
A: Hippogriff
B: Heliotrope
C: Hestograph
D: Hesperidium

Terry Welsh used his 50:50 and it left B & D. He had his +1 available.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

The Jeff Koons question was an instaget for me. Either not enough people watched or remember 500 Questions.
Recalled a question that said balloon dog, and the answer was Jeff Koons.

The $7000, $10000, $30000, and $50000 questions from yesterday were also all instagets.
Douglas Squasoni