Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vermonter »

My cable box ate today's recording! Anyone have a VHS tape I can borrow?
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vermonter wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:38 pm My cable box ate today's recording! Anyone have a VHS tape I can borrow?
I can only offer a little help with the last two segments of the 9/21 show with this contestant:
Spoiler
Patrick Friel
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... dFLUU/view

I have seen both new episodes today, so I know what happened while not having the full live streams recorded on my computer to share a complete game.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Is Patrick Friel's game the first or second show?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:25 pm Is Patrick Friel's game the first or second show?
Second show by best definition of I'm expecting by week 4 to see games that aired in week 1. In San Francisco it's on at 11:30 and 1:00 with the second airing paired with daytime J! showing S33. From Detroit where I got the game clip the "2nd" show is first at 9 Pacific and the first run ep. is on at noon my time.

If you get only one episode a day Patrick Friel likely won't air until towards the end of December is my guess.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:34 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:25 pm Is Patrick Friel's game the first or second show?
Second show by best definition of I'm expecting by week 4 to see games that aired in week 1. In San Francisco it's on at 11:30 and 1:00 with the second airing paired with daytime J! showing S33. From Detroit where I got the game clip the "2nd" show is first at 9 Pacific and the first run ep. is on at noon my time.

If you get only one episode a day Patrick Friel likely won't air until towards the end of December is my guess.
He has reported that his main-run air date is January 4.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This link has the key portions of both new episodes from the 9/22 shows.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... BEOEU/view

What is not in the video:
Spoiler

After Patrick Friel was done the new contestant was Kevin Slattery. He used the ATA on the 3K clue and will return on Monday to go for 7K with his +1 and 50:50 remaining.

After Dan Feitel was done there was time for an Audience Member to play for 1K and leave with $0.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Spoiler
That baby names question...jeez. He's right, why 2001, and ONLY 2001? She's been a superduperstar for decades. I picked the same answer he did, for the same reason.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Spoiler
I would also have picked Aaliyah. Interestingly, 2001 is BEFORE Beyonce went solo from Destiny's Child (her first solo album was released in 2003). Perhaps there were an equal portion of girls named Kelly and Michelle but, as those are already fairly popular names, it doesn't show up as a spike like Beyonce.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

When I went to the WQC in New York three months ago, I watched everyone sign the sheet next to me. There was an impressive list of J! alumni: Vermonter, TheSunWillComeOut, etc. When Patrick signed in, I remember Tony Hightower (also a J! champ) saying, "What is he doing here? Did he fly in from LA just to take this test?"
Those Jeopardy alumni (and I) all scored in the 80's. Patrick got a 132. Which is why
Spoiler
I was shocked he didn't make it at least to $500k. But some of the questions he got were ridiculously tough. If he couldn't break the eight-year $1M drought, I don't think anyone will.
Hoping for a third lap
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

No discussion of that terrible, terrible Italy/Sicily Spain/Morocco question? I think if I'd been up there, I would have said "That question is unanswerable as presented" and hopefully a producer would have stopped taping. It was pretty clear they were going for the Straits of Messina being narrower than the Strait of Gibraltar, but that doesn't eliminate the whole issue of Melilla and Ceuta (how the heck do you pronounce that, anyway?) as well as Sicily *is* part of Italy problem. I hope they bring her back.

Also, when Patrick did his whole "don't vote if you're only guessing" plea, I thought to myself, "that's a pretty smart idea". Then I thought more about it, and if you assume people who didn't know were randomly guessing, they would have an even distribution, and therefore there would be no changes to the absolute differences in the percentages. True?

If I had been the contestant for the syncope question, I think I would have dropped to the floor in dramatic fashion. When Chris asked if I was OK, I would have popped up and said "Final answer!"
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

alietr wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:59 pm Also, when Patrick did his whole "don't vote if you're only guessing" plea, I thought to myself, "that's a pretty smart idea". Then I thought more about it, and if you assume people who didn't know were randomly guessing, they would have an even distribution, and therefore there would be no changes to the absolute differences in the percentages. True?
In theory, yes. In practice, how many people when you ask them "pick a number between 1 and 10" will pick 7. I don't know if there's a similar effect here, but I'd be willing to bet there is and we just don't know what it is.

And even beyond that, with such a small group of people voting, the chance that one of them will have an outlyingly high number is surprisingly good in the percentages.
Golf

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:59 pm Also, when Patrick did his whole "don't vote if you're only guessing" plea, I thought to myself, "that's a pretty smart idea". Then I thought more about it, and if you assume people who didn't know were randomly guessing, they would have an even distribution, and therefore there would be no changes to the absolute differences in the percentages. True?
200 person audience, 100 with a supposed clue voting:

A - 49 - 49%
B - 17 - 17%
C - 17 - 17%
D - 17 - 17%

Now with the other clueless 100 voting

A - 49+25=74 - 37%
B - 17+25=42 - 21%
C - 17+25=42 - 21%
D - 17+25=42 - 21%

And that's assuming all answers are equally likely, but most of us realize that much of the time there is an answer that is more appealing that the others, thereby sucking the ignorant in. That skews the numbers.

In my opinion, anybody requesting the audience not do something is just asking for trouble. Does anybody really think that even one audience member will listen?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you tell people not to vote if they are just guessing, you will have people who will say they have an idea what it might be and aren't guessing, even if they really are. Or else you'll piss people off for telling them what to do and they vote anyway.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:29 pm If you tell people not to vote if they are just guessing, you will have people who will say they have an idea what it might be and aren't guessing, even if they really are. Or else you'll piss people off for telling them what to do and they vote anyway.
When I went to a taping in August, the show's director basically asked us not to vote if we didn't know.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

ElendilPickle wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:29 pm If you tell people not to vote if they are just guessing, you will have people who will say they have an idea what it might be and aren't guessing, even if they really are. Or else you'll piss people off for telling them what to do and they vote anyway.
When I went to a taping in August, the show's director basically asked us not to vote if we didn't know.
Well that's new. My guess would be because there are now paid audience members, who likely don't know the answers, and many viewers would suddenly cry conspiracy for the lifeline being useless because it "used to work every time".
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:32 am Well that's new. My guess would be because there are now paid audience members, who likely don't know the answers, and many viewers would suddenly cry conspiracy for the lifeline being useless because it "used to work every time".
What? PAID audience members?!??
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

alietr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:43 am
triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:32 am Well that's new. My guess would be because there are now paid audience members, who likely don't know the answers, and many viewers would suddenly cry conspiracy for the lifeline being useless because it "used to work every time".
Geez, I got a water bottle and a coupon for the mock Eiffel Tower. Are you saying I should have held out for more?
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

ElendilPickle wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Same. Learning that information was a pleasant surprise.

OTOH, my fellow audience members clearly didn't take that advice on one of the ATA I participated in.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

acthomas wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:59 am
alietr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:43 am
Geez, I got a water bottle and a coupon for the mock Eiffel Tower. Are you saying I should have held out for more?
I got a rock.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:13 pm I got a rock.
The LearnedLeague thread is over there.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan