Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is the last question from the 11/22/17 episode:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Susan Jann won three games on J! in 2012.  She had her +1 remaining: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1086 
Next:
Spoiler
Susan knew Oklahoma City for Oklahoma, Iowa City for Iowa, Virginia Beach for Virginia and Iowa City for Iowa were the cities to consider.  She locked in Virginia for her final answer.
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was B: Iowa since Des Moines is the most populous city in Iowa.  She left with $5,000 to conclude the episode and Dan still seated in the audience not called upon to help.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:06 pm This is the last question from the 11/22/17 episode:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Susan Jann won three games on J! in 2012.  She had her +1 remaining: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1086 
Next:
Spoiler
Susan knew Oklahoma City for Oklahoma, Iowa City for Iowa, Virginia Beach for Virginia and Iowa City for Iowa were the cities to consider.  She locked in Virginia for her final answer.
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was B: Iowa since Des Moines is the most populous city in Iowa.  She left with $5,000 to conclude the episode and Dan still seated in the audience not called upon to help.
She took a sizable risk on the previous question, at least from what I could tell.
Spoiler
It asked about "Kubo and the Two Strings," looking for the instrument that Kubo played, which is a normally three-stringed Japanese instrument. The choices were koto, shamisen, shakuhachi, and taiko.
Spoiler
She said she had only heard of a shamisen, but she knew it was a stringed instrument, and she locked it in. But a koto is also a stringed instrument, albeit with more than three strings. Unless she felt reasonably confident that a shamisen had three strings, she should have assumed that there were other stringed instruments among the choices.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Former J! contestant Mike Duval is on today's show, with The Final Wager's Keith Williams as his plus one.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:42 pm Former J! contestant Mike Duval is on today's show, with The Final Wager's Keith Williams as his plus one.
Not the complete episode, but enough for a decent taste of the action:
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I have an issue with the question in the thumbnail. A fluid ounce is the amount of volume that an ounce of water takes up at sea level and 1 atm of pressure. Unless beer has the exact same density as water, the weight of the beer would be different for that amount of volume.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:21 pm I have an issue with the question in the thumbnail. A fluid ounce is the amount of volume that an ounce of water takes up at sea level and 1 atm of pressure. Unless beer has the exact same density as water, the weight of the beer would be different for that amount of volume.
I think the question meant to say "assuming each bottle holds 12 fluid ounces". This is a pretty standard shortcut, to omit "fluid" when dealing with volumes of liquids in ounces. Even if you assumed it meant 12 ounces of weight, the same multiple choice answer is correct, since the density of beer is pretty close to that of water.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Loved how Keith cut through all the math bumblings and supplied a solid answer and rationale.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Golf wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:28 pm Loved how Keith cut through all the math bumblings and supplied a solid answer and rationale.
That - but more important, he first focused on grounding Mike and de-stressing the overall experience with some reassurance and calming techniques. I'd say that was even more important.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:26 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:28 pm Loved how Keith cut through all the math bumblings and supplied a solid answer and rationale.
That - but more important, he first focused on grounding Mike and de-stressing the overall experience with some reassurance and calming techniques. I'd say that was even more important.
Yes, that was really well done.

Anyone who has seen my LL math average will realize how happy I was to get the right answer on that question. :lol:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The video is from the 11/28 episode. Unfortunately, the thumbnail (there is no control over it) is a spoiler for the audience lifeline. Blur your eyes and click in the middle to start the video without taking in the results.
Spoiler
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The last question of the 12/5 episode:
Spoiler
Candace Resch was fortunate enough to be picked from the audience to play one question and that is what she did with that opportunity.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:10 pm The last question of the 12/5 episode:
Spoiler
Candace Resch was fortunate enough to be picked from the audience to play one question and that is what she did with that opportunity.
"Fortunate", huh?
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Spoiler
Former J! contestant Greg Peterson
:lol: at response to "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All of the questions from the 12/7 Thursday show:
Spoiler

First answer:
Spoiler
D: Turning water into wine - Greg talked his way through all of the answers and worked out the right one on the free guess.
Next:
Spoiler
Greg came across this question recently in his pub trivia and had enough confidence to take the shot.  B: Uzbekistan
Next:
Spoiler
Greg knew '80s pop music was not a strength and walked away with $250,000 to go with his $38,600 won on J! 10 years ago.
D: Bathroom attendant
Next:
Spoiler
Angie Sherwood was picked from the audience to play the Thousandaire question to end the show.  She is not much of a drinker, but worked through what she knew of the drinks to guess A: Cosmopolitan to win the $1,000.  This kind of game is a dream for the Thursday transcriber with duties today on the WWTBAM Bored as it asks for not as much work as usual to do.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:38 pm All of the questions from the 12/7 Thursday show:
Spoiler

First answer:
Spoiler
D: Turning water into wine - Greg talked his way through all of the answers and worked out the right one on the free guess.
Next:
Spoiler
Greg came across this question recently in his pub trivia and had enough confidence to take the shot.  B: Uzbekistan
Next:
Spoiler
Greg knew '80s pop music was not a strength and walked away with $250,000 to go with his $38,600 won on J! 10 years ago.
D: Bathroom attendant
Next:
Spoiler
Angie Sherwood was picked from the audience to play the Thousandaire question to end the show.  She is not much of a drinker, but worked through what she knew of the drinks to guess A: Cosmopolitan to win the $1,000.  This kind of game is a dream for the Thursday transcriber with duties today on the WWTBAM Bored as it asks for not as much work as usual to do.
I knew all but the last. The second one I knew from Matt Kohlstedt's second game.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Spoiler
I was salivating over these questions.

$100k: elimination using basic Bible knowledge

$250k: I used my mnemonics for Asian geography to isolate Uzbeki[-beki-beki-beki-stan-]stan

$500k: learned that in MD1Q6 in the '80s Music ML
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Vermonter wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 pm
Spoiler
I was salivating over these questions.
$250k: I used my mnemonics for Asian geography to isolate Uzbeki[-beki-beki-beki-stan-]stan
"Wannabe-independent country like Taiwan"???
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Dangit, why didn't I get Bible questions on my show??
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The last question from the 12/8 show:
Spoiler

Audience member Peter Bayer said he did not know sports and he was not kidding. Philly viewers must have been howling.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 pm The last question from the 12/8 show:
Spoiler

Audience member Peter Bayer said he did not know sports and he was not kidding. Philly viewers must have been howling.
You didn't even mention the guy before that tanking on the $3K layup.