Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:50 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:32 pm A guy on today's show got out picking an 11-letter word in response to a question asking for a ten-letter word.
Copied from the Bobby McBride site:
Spoiler
https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/category/millionaire/

$10K: Which 10-letter H word can refer to a light purple flower or a green/red mineral also known as a bloodstone?
A: Hippogriff
B: Heliotrope
C: Hestograph
D: Hesperidium

Terry Welsh used his 50:50 and it left B & D. He had his +1 available.
Bobby misspelled C; it was "hectograph."
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

Did anyone catch the wording of the question today about preventing migraines where the options were carbonated, caffeine, alcohol and citrus?

I put my mental stakes on whether I knew one of the options was a vasoconstrictor (based on a Family Guy quote, to boot.)

I was wrong.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

acthomas wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:46 pm Did anyone catch the wording of the question today about preventing migraines where the options were carbonated, caffeine, alcohol and citrus?

I put my mental stakes on whether I knew one of the options was a vasoconstrictor (based on a Family Guy quote, to boot.)

I was wrong.
Something along the lines of drinking a small amount of one of those beverages could ward off a migraine.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

2002 College Championship veteran Arianna Haut was on today.

Last question of the episode:
Spoiler
$20,000
"Co-starring" for eternity after often working together in the '30s and '40s, which of these famous on-screen couples are buried in the same cemetery?
A. Tracy and Hepburn B. Astaire and Rogers
C. Burton and Taylor D. Gable and Leigh
Spoiler
Arianna figured that if they were buried together, they must have been married. She was sure that A ("Spencer Tracy and either Hepburn"), B, and D didn't refer to married couples, and that C did. She thought that although Elizabeth Taylor married other people, perhaps in the end she and Richard Burton were buried together. Chris reminded her that she still had one lifeline remaining (+1), but wanting to save it, she made Burton and Taylor her final answer.
Spoiler
The answer was B (Astaire and Rogers), and Arianna left with $5,000. Her fatal flaw was inferring that "buried in the same cemetery" meant "buried together," but it also didn't help that she overlooked that Burton and Taylor did their co-starring 30 years too late for the given timeframe.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

As a huge art fan, Nighthawks was an Instaget!

Christina's World was painted by Andrew Wyeth, and Christina, as beautiful as she is, isn't a redhead.

People in Las Vegas, I recommend you stop watching TV and go look at some art for once. You won't regret it. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:24 pm As a huge art fan, Nighthawks was an Instaget!

Christina's World was painted by Andrew Wyeth, and Christina, as beautiful as she is, isn't a redhead.

People in Las Vegas, I recommend you stop watching TV and go look at some art for once. You won't regret it. ;)
most in the audience are probably tourists
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This FJ had the same response as a $5,000 question today.
Spoiler
According to Merriam-Webster.com, what synonym for friend comes from the Latin for "bread," because it once referred to someone with whom you shared a meal?
A. Chum B. Cohort
C. Companion D. Comrade
Spoiler
The contestant couldn't rule out any of the choices because they all worked as synonyms for friend, and he didn't have any familiarity with Latin, but he said his +1 was experienced with Latin, and brought him down.

"I think the Latin word for bread is panem..."
"That's not really helpful here."
"I know, 'cause it's all 'C' words, but I would go with A, chum."
"That's what I was thinking too."

He locked in "chum," and Chris pointed out the "pan" in "companion." He left with nothing.
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

The incident recounted by Seaborgium was the most brutal panem-related event since the Hunger Games.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

VoluptuousLoser wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:49 pm The incident recounted by Seaborgium was the most brutal panem-related event since the Hunger Games.
You make your first post in a year and a half for that?
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:29 pm
VoluptuousLoser wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:49 pm The incident recounted by Seaborgium was the most brutal panem-related event since the Hunger Games.
Hey, it's not often I get a chance to talk about someone making a more inexplicable mistake than I did on WWTBAM.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

VoluptuousLoser wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:03 am
seaborgium wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:29 pm
Hey, it's not often I get a chance to talk about someone making a more inexplicable mistake than I did on WWTBAM.
Maybe less explicable (more inexplicable??), I speed read through Sb's post and thought the contestant had taken a 50/50 and the choices were between two names, Chum B. Cohort, and Companion D. Comrade. (From the spoiler box with the two line format)

And I liked the snarky joke, being just woke enough to remember that was the name of the event in THG :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Sb is antimony.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:07 am Sb is antimony.
:oops:
Oh, snap. And I just recently saw a list of the 92 elements with no names and mentally ran them just to see if I still could navigate the Thulium/Thallium/Terbium/etc.. web. Got them all except for a stumble on Pa
Spoiler
Protactinium, really shouldn't have missed this b/c I'm in the U/Pu community
. I must have avoided Sg because I use S&G's for shits and giggles :lol: .

May you live your full 2.4 minute half-life and prosper!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:55 pm
Oh, snap. And I just recently saw a list of the 92 elements with no names and mentally ran them just to see if I still could navigate the Thulium/Thallium/Terbium/etc.. web. Got them all except for a stumble on Pa
Spoiler

I'm very much hit or miss on elements and the symbols, but thanks to this discussion I will use Susan B. Antimony as a memory helper.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:58 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:55 pm
Spoiler

I'm very much hit or miss on elements and the symbols, but thanks to this discussion I will use Susan B. Antimony as a memory helper.
Stibnite as antimony's primary ore showed up on Brain of Britain last week. It's old name is stibnium, but I like your mnemonic.

Pa as protactinium is a toughie. I went palladium (Pd).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Could someone please post Dan Marsh's $7,000 through $30,000 question.
ABC7 cut most of the episode due to a special report.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:55 pm Could someone please post Dan Marsh's $7,000 through $30,000 question.
I had this post ready for the last question of the show and then I saw your post. I can't do it now, but a little later I can go back and meet the request.

The question that concluded the 3/13 episode:
Spoiler
$50,000
Dan's +1 was his sister and last lifeline
Next:
Spoiler
Dan ruled out the Scarecrow in remembering Dorothy met him first.  Dan though Bubba was possible because Forrest did not meet him until he went into the army and that was a little way's in.  Dan thought he (Luke) met Han fairly early and not 47 minutes in because that would be halfway through the movie.  Dan thought she (Clarice) went to see Lecter pretty early in the movie.

The +1 Karen thought Scarecrow (recalled all of the home (in Kansas) scenes) or Bubba.  Dan was thinking Wizard was an hour and a half movie and Karen knew it was longer. Dan felt like Forrest Gump was a long movie at least when he saw it.  Sis said 2.5 hours and it was 2h22min.
Next:
Spoiler
They agreed to go for C: Bubba in "Forrest Gump" and that was wrong.  It was B: Han Solo in "Star Wars"

Chris Harrison said Bubba was 32 minutes.  I cued up Oz and it was 34 minutes.  I cued up Silence and it was about 13 minutes.  

It seemed clear that both sis and bro had seen all four movies.  I've seen all of the films (Gump once and Star Wars twice along with Silence maybe 3 and Wizard countless) and was unsure.  Tough question and good one to make sure the contestant either leaves with $5,000 or goes to $100K with all lifelines gone as I get the temptation to guess with so much familiar things to work with on it.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

If you haven't seen yesterday or today's episode of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, yet, definitely do. My girlfriend Rhonda Laster was, and I was her Plus One. It was a fun experience and i was proud of her.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:55 pm Could someone please post Dan Marsh's $7,000 through $30,000 question.
The $7,000 - $30,000 questions from the 3/13 show:
Spoiler
$7,000
Which two months of the year are named after Roman goddesses?
A: March & April
B: May & June
C: July & August
D: September & October

$10,000
The difference between which of the following foods doesn't have to do with the plants' species, but simply their ripeness at the time they were harvested?
A: Green and black olives
B: Zucchini and yellow squash
C: Black and pinto beans
D: Cauliflower and broccoli

$20,000
Regarding the first four letters of its name, why is the popular arcade game called Skee-Ball?
A: It's short for "basketball"
B: It's the creator's last name
C: The ball flies up like a ski jumper
D: It stands for "Sloped Kids' Elongated Entertainment"

$30,000
If you have all of your adult teeth including your wisdom teeth, what percentage of them are molars?
A: 12.5 percent
B: 25 percent
C: 37.5 percent
D: 50 percent

The answers:
Spoiler
May & June
Green & black olives (50:50 left that and Black and pinto beans)
The ball flies up like a ski jump
37.5 percent (Audience was 43% for 25 percent & 34% for 37.5 percent)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

oduguy22 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:14 pm If you haven't seen yesterday or today's episode of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, yet, definitely do. My girlfriend Rhonda Laster was, and I was her Plus One. It was a fun experience and i was proud of her.
I've seen both episodes. Comments
Spoiler

Nice job with the 100% assurance as the +1, although too bad it was not on a later question. Both you and Rhonda were TV ready with the root-ability and like-ability factors. I like seeing walking with the $10,000 with lifelines gone instead of giving back $5,000 as happens too often at that point of the game.

I hate the common observation questions like the basketball one. There is no way to calculate the thousands of shots worth of experience I have with basketballs yet I had to press myself to to think about sections in picturing something I've handled so much.