Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

ElendilPickle wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:46 pm It's a good week for former J! contestants on Millionaire - Guy Jordan, Sara Lehmann, and Keith Williams are on. I'd post the preview, but it has a pretty big spoiler.
One of those three was on today.

The last question from the 2/19 episode:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
Guy took German and did not know the answer.  He used his ATA.
A: Apple - 11%
B: Carrot - 43%
C: Avocado - 32%
D: Corn - 14%
Next:
Spoiler
Guy did not like the split and used his 50:50.  It left Apple & Avocado.
Next:
Spoiler
Finally, Guy got the bright idea to use his +1 who told him a lawyer is an advocate, so avocado.
Next:
Spoiler
Guy will lead off the 2/20 show going for $10,000 with all his lifelines burnt.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

This may be the week that finally convinces me to upgrade to a DVR based service.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

acthomas wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:55 pm This may be the week that finally convinces me to upgrade to a DVR based service.
why? if you miss an episode, just watch on youtube
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I guess he didn't watch Daredevil.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

acthomas wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:55 pm This may be the week that finally convinces me to upgrade to a DVR based service.
If you spend 5 hours a month watching tv shows with commercials, spend the 10 bucks (+/- ??) NOW.
I don't get any commission from Dish or Cable companies, but it's the best frill you can get for the money. (In re your avatar, I've got episodes of futurama saved up for when the missus is away). Time shifting and commercial skipping are lifestyle changers. You are LESS likely to waste quality time watching something and you can use downtime to watch or delete.
Sorry if I misunderstand your statement. :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:33 pm
why? if you miss an episode, just watch on youtube
Didn't know that there was a Millionaire Secret Bunker!
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 pm If you spend 5 hours a month watching tv shows with commercials, spend the 10 bucks (+/- ??) NOW.
I don't get any commission from Dish or Cable companies, but it's the best frill you can get for the money. (In re your avatar, I've got episodes of futurama saved up for when the missus is away). Time shifting and commercial skipping are lifestyle changers. You are LESS likely to waste quality time watching something and you can use downtime to watch or delete.
Sorry if I misunderstand your statement. :lol:
I probably spend too much time watching TV, but very little of it is TV shows without commercials. When I do it's Sling, which has a "digital PVR" but the channels don't include my local Millionaire affiliate.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

acthomas wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:09 pm

if you find one, let me know. I have found a youtube channel that puts up one week at a time, but would love to find a daily
Total game show career losings = $171,522
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:31 am
acthomas wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:09 pm

if you find one, let me know. I have found a youtube channel that puts up one week at a time, but would love to find a daily
no idea about being put up daily...millionaire was dropped on the affiliate around my area the other year and didn't have local access to millionaire episodes for a couple of years...ended up discovering a youtube channel that had last season in full....binged it for a while...the affiliate brought it back this year, so haven't watched on youtube...though i do know that jeopardy episodes are posted daily on youtube, so perhaps someone does it for millionaire as well
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A really spoilering very short summary of the 2/20 episode:
Spoiler

Next:
Spoiler
Guy though Janet Leigh was in The Birds, seemed to take little time on it and with no lifelines went for it on the $10,000 question, the first and only question he saw today.

Sara Lehmann was going for $30,000 and had her +1 & ATA available.
Next:
Spoiler
Phu Mai began play for a rare episode with three regular players.  He will be going for $5,000 tomorrow with all lifelines available.

Answers to the above: Tippi Hedren & Abby Wambach
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Too bad Sara didn't have me as a +1. I know my Gator greats. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:18 pm
Spoiler
Guy though Janet Leigh was in The Birds, seemed to take little time on it and with no lifelines went for it on the $10,000 question, the first and only question he saw today.
I knew Janet Leigh was in Psycho, which blinded me from even considering anyone else, but when Guy mentioned The Birds I immediately realized Tippi Hedren was in that and somehow managed to retcon my comprehension of his sentence as being about Hedren instead of Leigh, so I got very confused when he made Leigh his final answer and thought he was choosing an option he hadn't intended.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Any chance someone could record Wednesday’s and Thursday’s shows? My friend Elliot will be on.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vermonter wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:44 pm Any chance someone could record Wednesday’s and Thursday’s shows? My friend Elliot will be on.
Barring interrupting news events I'll try for the 8:30 PT showing Wednesday morning out of Pueblo, CO. After that I will need to edit it and upload it. I'll post here when it's done.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Vermonter wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:44 pm Any chance someone could record Wednesday’s and Thursday’s shows? My friend Elliot will be on.
Lol. Best of retro luck! Hope you get a BIG payday.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

As of Christmas I can record in (what appears to be) broadcast quality (with the occasional unpredictable hiccup). I had already set my device up to record Millionaire all this week, and now I've bumped the start time back a minute so Chris Harrison's introductory remarks won't get cut off. J! episodes tend to be around 2 gigs apiece, so I'd have to share the Millionaire files with you via sneakernet or mail rather than online.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is the complete 2/21 episode.  Sorry, I missed Chris Harrison's opening by a hair and I did not include the question of the day. The thumbnail is a spoiler for the first question of the show. It's not very difficult, so no big deal.
Spoiler

Comments about the episode:
Spoiler
Yes, Ed Koch presided over The People's Court and YT has proof.  I thought the wrong answers on the German food clue were pretty funny.  That was a tough spot on the ATA with a 42% to 25% split.  For Keith. Looking forward to tomorrow and I'll do the same thing with watching and posting.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Thanks, Mark! I was able to get a glimpse of him in the background for a few seconds!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Spoiler
I watch way too much TV and always have, so I actually remember those Ed Koch seasons. Meh. Not as bad as the Jerry Sheindlin season.

I also watch way too many Marvel movies (like, all of them :oops: ), so while I've never heard of the speechwriter, I knew the director cold. Mildly surprised the audience split wasn't better; 25% for Michael Bay?!

I've never heard of stollen, but...purloinff, shoploaften, and heistentoast!? LOL. Good job going with your gut there.

RETROACTIVE GOOD LUCK, KEITH!!! I'm sending million dollar vibes your way, backwards through time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:08 pm
Spoiler
I watch way too much TV and always have, so I actually remember those Ed Koch seasons. Meh. Not as bad as the Jerry Sheindlin season.

I also watch way too many Marvel movies (like, all of them :oops: ), so while I've never heard of the speechwriter, I knew the director cold. Mildly surprised the audience split wasn't better; 25% for Michael Bay?!

I've never heard of stollen, but...purloinff, shoploaften, and heistentoast!? LOL. Good job going with your gut there.

RETROACTIVE GOOD LUCK, KEITH!!! I'm sending million dollar vibes your way, backwards through time.
Comment on the comment:
Spoiler
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:08 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
Thanks! I was pretty sure Jon Favreau was the speechwriter, but I couldn't remember the timeline and I didn't know the director, so I decided to play it safe. Chris said he was surprised I had to use ATA on that one, but we agreed it was probably going to become useless fairly soon.
He also chewed out the 25% who said Michael Bay