Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by triviawayne »

Sherm wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:30 am Took about two weeks for me. I got a call last Thursday and skyped Tuesday and Wednesday. Told me the shooting schedule after the second skype and asked if all the dates were free (i said yes) and told me id know if they wanted me in the next two weeks. If i dont get an Email by the last week of June, I'll assume I didnt make it.
you should get an email either way, so if you don't hear from them, try and contact them.

what were the tape dates?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:28 am
Sherm wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:30 am Took about two weeks for me. I got a call last Thursday and skyped Tuesday and Wednesday. Told me the shooting schedule after the second skype and asked if all the dates were free (i said yes) and told me id know if they wanted me in the next two weeks. If i dont get an Email by the last week of June, I'll assume I didnt make it.
you should get an email either way, so if you don't hear from them, try and contact them.

what were the tape dates?
July 10th to August 23rd
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:38 pm All of the questions from the 12/7 Thursday show:
Spoiler

First answer:
Spoiler
D: Turning water into wine - Greg talked his way through all of the answers and worked out the right one on the free guess.
Next:
Spoiler
Greg came across this question recently in his pub trivia and had enough confidence to take the shot.  B: Uzbekistan
Next:
Spoiler
Greg knew '80s pop music was not a strength and walked away with $250,000 to go with his $38,600 won on J! 10 years ago.
D: Bathroom attendant
Next:
Spoiler
Angie Sherwood was picked from the audience to play the Thousandaire question to end the show.  She is not much of a drinker, but worked through what she knew of the drinks to guess A: Cosmopolitan to win the $1,000.  This kind of game is a dream for the Thursday transcriber with duties today on the WWTBAM Bored as it asks for not as much work as usual to do.
This episode reran today. I don't think I watched it the first time around. I found it notable that every segment had just one question.

I quoted this post when it was new to say that the Thousandaire question was the only one I missed. I got it right this time without consciously remembering this post; I knew that mojitos have rum, sangria is wine and juice, and Manhattans have vermouth, so I'm not sure why I missed it before. It was probably just a case of being too hasty.

I explained earlier in the thread that I got the $250k question right from remembering Matt Kohlstedt's second FJ, but I didn't explain the other ones. $100k I knew from hearing enough of the Bible to be able to rule out the wrong answers, and I knew the $500k from a Bathroom Reader article about what inspired a few popular songs, which included "She Works Hard for the Money."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:53 pm Amelia Hershberger: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10388  was on and this is the last question she saw on the Feb. 14th episode:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
The +1 was her husband and between them they felt Cronkite had not announced a time with the odd number times having :15 or :45.  They considered guessing although with no lifelines remaining they agreed on walking with $30,000.
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was B: 1:00 P.M. and the one Amelia would have guessed.
I thought it was a great $50,000 question as some would know it, some would guess it, some would use lifelines and many would be in a tough spot even if they had seen/heard the clip many times over the years. I was in the know it category as I have seen/read enough things over the years.
I just watched this episode in repeats, and I thought the $10,000 question was worth commenting on.

In feature films, Meryl Streep has played characters with all but which of these first names?
A. Miranda
B. Barbara
C. Karen
D. Margaret
Spoiler
Amelia knew right away that Streep had played Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada, and realized soon enough that she'd also played Margaret Thatcher (without naming The Iron Lady, which Chris would later do). Eventually she used the 50:50, which left Miranda and Barbara and made things very easy for her. After she locked in Barbara and Chris said she was right, he said she played a Karen in Silkwood. However, I'd ruled out Karen because of Out of Africa (Isak Dinesen's real name was Karen Blixen, and Streep played her) instead. Maybe the fact that she played a Karen in two movies, thereby making it ostensibly easier to eliminate, was why it was selected as one of the choices to remove for the 50:50, even though I thought Miranda was a far more obviously wrong choice.