Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Got both the $7,000 question and the $30,000 question.
June was named for the Roman Goddess Juno.
Knew that there were 1st, 2nd, and 3rd molars. 32 teeth in typical adult. Top, Bottom, Left, Right, 3 * 4 = 12. 12/32 = .375

Thank you for sending me these questions. :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:13 pm The question that concluded the 3/13 episode:
Spoiler
$50,000
Spoiler
In the excellent Princess Leia's Stolen Death Star Plans, a mash-up of Sgt. Pepper & Episode IV, a parody of "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" represents the cantina scene. That track is 7 of 13 on the album, so I would have felt pretty good using that to confirm my gut instinct/play-by-play of the opening of that film.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

Vermonter wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:13 pm The question that concluded the 3/13 episode:
Spoiler
$50,000
Spoiler
In the excellent Princess Leia's Stolen Death Star Plans, a mash-up of Sgt. Pepper & Episode IV, a parody of "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" represents the cantina scene. That track is 7 of 13 on the album, so I would have felt pretty good using that to confirm my gut instinct/play-by-play of the opening of that film.
Worth reading this just for the listening recommendation. Good quality earwormy stuff.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:45 pm
oduguy22 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:14 pm If you haven't seen yesterday or today's episode of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, yet, definitely do. My girlfriend Rhonda Laster was, and I was her Plus One. It was a fun experience and i was proud of her.
I've seen both episodes. Comments
Spoiler

Nice job with the 100% assurance as the +1, although too bad it was not on a later question. Both you and Rhonda were TV ready with the root-ability and like-ability factors. I like seeing walking with the $10,000 with lifelines gone instead of giving back $5,000 as happens too often at that point of the game.

I hate the common observation questions like the basketball one. There is no way to calculate the thousands of shots worth of experience I have with basketballs yet I had to press myself to to think about sections in picturing something I've handled so much.
Thanks! I know she was nervous but i think she held her own well, she had a good feeling about the +1 question, but she did know for sure, and she knew that I definitely would know. Yea it would've been nice to help her later in the game. I know she felt she could do better, but the game is not easy and i think she made the right choice. I agree with you, I watch basketball, and it had me thinking, I was pretty torn between two myself.

I definitely want to give it a try myself and audition, it was a fun experience being there for her.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

oduguy22 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:41 am

I've seen both episodes. Comments
Spoiler
I hate the common observation questions like the basketball one. There is no way to calculate the thousands of shots worth of experience I have with basketballs yet I had to press myself to to think about sections in picturing something I've handled so much.
[/quote]

I hate to spoiler a comment about a spoiler, but:
Spoiler
If this question was about how many sections on a basketball, then WOW! What a brain teaser. I've been playing 40 years almost weekly and I couldn't decide between 6 and 8. I can palm the basketball as long as I begin and end on the seams so I finally decided on 6 panels. Turns out I span two panels and just couldn't pull the brain visual. It seems so obvious, and yet...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I just pictured a drawing of a basketball; it was a circle with )|( in the middle. I figured that )|( divided it into four sections, each of which the equator cut in half to make eight.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:41 pm I just pictured a drawing of a basketball; it was a circle with )|( in the middle. I figured that )|( divided it into four sections, each of which the equator cut in half to make eight.
I remember staring at basketballs for a long time as a kid and remembered both that pattern and the two-halves construction of those, tennis balls and baseballs.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

acthomas wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:11 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:41 pm I just pictured a drawing of a basketball; it was a circle with )|( in the middle. I figured that )|( divided it into four sections, each of which the equator cut in half to make eight.
I remember staring at basketballs for a long time as a kid and remembered both that pattern and the two-halves construction of those, tennis balls and baseballs.
It's so zen. Does a remarkable job of making the increasingly anxious shouts of "THROW IT!!" fade into silence.
...Why yes, I was always picked last. What of it?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Fleeboy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:03 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:58 pm All of the questions from the 9/29 single run episode:
Spoiler
$30,000
25-year-old Harriet Weaver used her last lifeline, her boyfriend.
Spoiler
I have a problem with this question. Clint Eastwood pulled the trigger after saying "well, do ya, punk?" but his gun was empty, so it wasn't really fired.
boson wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:26 pm Yup, I'm with you on that one. I went to youtube to double check before seeing your post:
(quoting the posts separately so you both get notified)

Looking back through this thread because Millionaire is showing reruns now, I came across this question again, and forgetting this discussion but remembering the video boson linked, I had the same quibble with the Dirty Harry quote being a wrong answer. Then I searched for the quote and found a different video with Clint Eastwood saying the line in another scene. Of course the video ended after the word "punk," with no indication of whether the gun was fired, so I looked up the film on Wikipedia, which says this:
Having shot Scorpio through the shoulder, Callahan reprises his line about losing count of his shots. Unlike the earlier encounter, Callahan does have one remaining bullet, with which he kills Scorpio when the latter goes for his gun.
For what it's worth, there's also an instance in Terminator 2 where "Hasta la vista, baby" is said without an immediately subsequent gunshot.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Nice find. It's been a decade or more since I watched Dirty Harry all the way to the end, and had forgotten how the final scene with Scorpio played out.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Millionaire is back with new episodes and this thread was at the bottom of page 1.  This is a question with David Vaughn using his +1.
Spoiler
$20,000
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was A: Hit a hole-in-one.  David thought that at first, but was not sure and brought up his +1 who swayed him enough to switch to D.  Eldrick is the real first name of Tiger Woods.  Usually Chris does not give much away as I don't get the impression he knows a lot of five-figure answers.  In this case I thought it was obvious the host knew the guys were in the rough.  The 50:50 went unused.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I have a feeling the 50:50 would have removed the two choices that have never been done by a person.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

$3,000 question, 4/13:

En qué idioma está escrita esta pregunta?
A. Japanese
B. French
C. Spanish
D. German
Spoiler
Well, Chris, yo estoy un hispanohablante, por eso la respuesta es ce, ¡español!
Spoiler
Well, Chris, [speaking Spanish]
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Fritz Holznagel was on today, back to going by Ryan. He used the ATA on the $5,000 question (New York's MOMA recently added to its permanent collection the 176 original emojis first introduced in 1999 by NTTDOCOMO, a phone company in what country? A. France B. Japan C. Sweden D. Germany) but got through, and answered the $7,000 question successfully to finish the episode while holding on to his other lifelines.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ryan Holznagel on day 2:
Spoiler
Spoiler
$10,000
Next:
Spoiler
Ryan used the 50:50 which left B & C the hot dogs and hard-boiled eggs.
Next:
Spoiler
Ryan locked in C: Hard-boiled eggs
$20,000
Next:
Spoiler
Ryan worked through knowing the recent governors of OH & FL to narrow it.  He went for Iowa in thinking if it had been NH he would have recognized the name.
Next:
Spoiler
$30,000
Next:
Spoiler
Ryan does not know Spanish, but could piece together canyon and Canada to go with C the correct answer.
Next:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Ryan thought Godfather won twice and tried brainstorming movie titles with the other words before bringing down his +1 and last lifeline.  The friend was not sure Godfather won twice and provided little help.  Ryan walked with $30,000.
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was A: Lord (LOTR: ROTK).  For the others: The Godfather & The Godfather Part II; A Man For All Seasons & Rain Man; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King & The King's Speech

The next contestant was Monikka Mann: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10823
Next:
Spoiler
She will return tomorrow going for $10,000 with her 50:50 & +1 lifelines available.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Spoiler
Also All the King's Men.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:53 pm
Spoiler
Also All the King's Men.
Ah, good one. Thanks. No surprise that I missed the FJ! clue in this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5315
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Spoiler
Also All the King's Men.
Spoiler
I would argue that the word "King's" is not the same as the word "King", in both your example and "The King's Speech".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:01 pm
Spoiler
Also All the King's Men.
Spoiler
I would argue that the word "King's" is not the same as the word "King", in both your example and "The King's Speech".
Spoiler
But the word 'King' still appears in 'King's' even if they're different words.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Spoiler
The movie question for $50k was very easy for me, but I would have been eliminated on $10k. As someone who frequently hard boils eggs, I would never in a million years use that method.