Friday, December 16, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 16, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:19 pm

Game Recap for Show #6270, 2011-12-16

Jason Keller game 1.
Alex acknowledges a 102-year-old woman (and Jeopardy! fan) in the audience.

CONTESTANTS
Leslie Hamilton, a teacher and swim coach from Erlanger, Kentucky
Jason Keller, a tutor from Highland Park, New Jersey
Beth Watkins, a graduate student of medieval studies from Savannah, Georgia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $37,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny, thank you, and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. How to make a good impression on Jeopardy!--win your first match and pick up $37,200 in the process. That's what Beth did yesterday. Is it Jason's turn or Leslie's turn today? Let's start finding out. Good luck, players. Here we go. Signaling buttons in hand as you prepare to deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE INTERNET (5/5)
ANTONYMIC BOOK TITLES (5/5)
CANADA ROCKS (3/5)
TIME FOR LUNCH (4/5)
JOHN, PAUL, GEORGE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THING"O" (5/5) (Alex: In this case, each correct response will end with the letter "O".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Leslie: 9 R, 1 W
Beth: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $3,600
Beth: $1,800
Leslie: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Leslie Hamilton is from Kentucky. She's a teacher and a swim coach who finally got some really good news recently.

Leslie: Yeah, my husband chuck and I are foster parents for the state of Kentucky. We've had three placements. Uh, most recently, we had a little boy, Cody Clark, and he was with us for about two years, and we finalized the adoption in August.

Alex: Good for you. Is this your only child so far?

Leslie: He is currently our only child, yes.

Alex: All right, good.

Alex: Jason Keller--a tutor from Highland Park, New Jersey. There's an old saying--if at first you don't succeed, try and try, and in your case, try and try and try again. How long have you been trying to get on Jeopardy!?

Jason: For 16 years.

Alex: Oh, boy.

Jason: I started when I became eligible for the Teen Tournament. It took me about ten years to actually get word to get an audition, and after three auditions, I'm finally here, and I hope to last for a little more than 16 minutes.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Beth Watkins is a graduate student of medieval studies. What kind of medieval studies are we talking about here?

Beth: I, um, work on romances, so stories about knights and ladies, um, and...

Alex: Knights in shining armor.

Beth: Yes, knights in shining armor.

Alex: Did they really have shining armor in the middle ages, or was it pretty muddy stuff?

Beth: Maybe--maybe not so much. It was pretty dirty.

Alex: Yeah?

Beth: Um, yeah, a little unfortunate, when it comes down to it.

Alex: Are they all--these romances--are they wonderful, nice, uh, PG-13 or "GP" rated?

Beth: Uh, sometimes, but not generally. Some of them are a bit, uh--

Alex: A little raunchy?

Beth: A little raunchy.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Beth had $2,000, Jason had $6,000, and Leslie was at $4,000. Jason wagered $1,000.

JOHN, PAUL, GEORGE $600: He's the botanist seen here in 1940

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CANADA ROCKS $200: Toronto-born Robbie Robertson was part of the Bob Dylan backup group that made it big on their own using this name
(Alex: It's called [*].)

CANADA ROCKS $400: He recorded some of his biggest albums, including "Rust Never Sleeps", backed up by Crazy Horse
(Beth: Who is Gordon Lightfoot?)

TIME FOR LUNCH $400: In the world according to this fish, the kind made into gefilte fish is called the German or Israeli type

JOHN, PAUL, GEORGE $1000: After starring in "A Man for All Seasons" in London & on Broadway, he won an Oscar for the movie
(Alex: The British actor [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jason: $7,000
Leslie: $4,600
Beth: $3,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 16, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:19 pm

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORIC LEADERS' LETTERS TO SANTA (4/5)
A STONY CATEGORY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANATOMICAL ETYMOLOGY (4/5)
LAKE CITY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You have to name the largest lake each city lies on, or is near.)
STREEP TEASE (3/3)
THE VILLAGE IDIOM (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Leslie: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Beth: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Beth had $3,000, Jason had $7,400, and Leslie was at $5,000. Jason wagered $2,000.

LAKE CITY $1200: Jinja, Uganda

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Leslie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Beth had $3,400, Jason had $18,200, and Leslie was at $9,400. Leslie wagered $2,000.

A STONY CATEGORY $1600: Geologists use these 2 Greek-derived terms to describe the "New Stone Age" & the "Old Stone Age" time periods

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LAKE CITY $800: Boulder City, Nevada
(Jason: What is Lake Tahoe?)
(Beth: What is Lake George?)

THE VILLAGE IDIOM $2000: The village undertaker literally "knows" this phrase, but Mrs. Smith the postmistress knows too

ANATOMICAL ETYMOLOGY $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical animation on the monitor.) The hyoid bone, which supports the tongue, takes its name from the Greek word hyoeides, meaning shaped like the lowercase form of this Greek letter
(Jason: What is omega?)

HISTORIC LEADERS' LETTERS TO SANTA $2000: "I built the temples of Abu Simbel, but what I'd like is to outlive my first dozen heirs & be preserved in a Cairo museum"

A STONY CATEGORY $1200: According to 17th century poet Richard Lovelace, "stone walls do not" one of these "make"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jason: $20,200
Leslie: $13,800
Beth: $3,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
(Before the Double Jeopardy! Round, Alex points out a very senior Jeopardy! fan in the audience.)
Alex: Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen. This might well fall into the category of one-upsmanship. On yesterday's program, you'll recall that I mentioned my 91-year-old mother who was sitting in the audience. Well, today, I would like you all to greet this lovely lady who is visiting us, and she is 102 years old and a fan of Jeopardy! Young and old, we get them all. All right, Beth, you get to select first in Double Jeopardy!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Jason: Wager $7,401 to cover Leslie, but no more than $14,199 so as not to fall behind Beth's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $1,401.
Leslie: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,000 (martian), and you'll win the game if Jason wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Beth: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A Roman legal term for a debtor sentenced to servitude is the origin of this term for a slave to a vice

FINAL SCORES
Beth: $3,000 - $3,000 = $0 (What is a ??) (3rd place: $1,000)
Leslie: $13,800 - $7,242 = $6,558 (What is a dependent?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jason: $20,200 + $8,000 = $28,200 (What is addict?) (New champion: $28,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $19,000, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Leslie: $13,400, 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Beth: $3,000, 8 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 25/60 = .417
Leslie: 17/59 = .288
Beth: 8/58 = .138
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THING"O" $600: It's the Japanese game seen here
(Leslie: What is Plinko?)

A STONY CATEGORY $2000: From about 1,200 to 400 B.C., these people carved stone heads, like the one seen here, & lived along the Gulf of Mexico
(: Who are the Toltecs?)

STREEP TEASE $400: Meryl Streep was nominated but didn't have the recipe for a 2009 Oscar when she played Ms. Child in this film
(Leslie: What is Julia & Julia? [*]?)
(Alex: No. Yes, you corrected yourself in time, and that's good news for you.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
George Washington Carver
The Band
Neil Young
carp
Paul Scofield
Lake Victoria
neolithic and paleolithic
Lake Mead
where the bodies are buried
upsilon
Ramses
a prison
addict
Pachinko
Olmec
Julie & Julia[/i]

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Re: Friday, December 16, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:24 pm

HOORAY.

Congrats to Jason for a hard fought game here. Fun to see a local win....FINALLY.
Avatar: Mickey's Hot Dogs - Greenburgh, NY (1929 - present)

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:37 pm

I have no idea why the thread didn't post, but here it is. Congratulations, Jason. It certainly was a long time coming!

And how the heck did I miss such an obvious (in retrospect) FJ? I went with "abuser" for lack of anything.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Sorry to see Beth one and done it but props to Try, try again epitome Jason- nice win!

All I got from the FJ was a head slap. I usually nail word origin FJs, but this one I thought I had just outside the etherness of my grey matter and was ready to slap my face upon reveal, then the reveal... well, I'm not sure what I was thinking of but it wasn't that, but WHY wasn't it that? Pretty danged obvious if you ask me!

One question: on that Paul George or John category, why was Jason given credit for "Dulles"? I thought in categories like that, you had to prove you knew which of the three (or 2 or 4 or whatever) was being referenced? no?

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:45 pm

FJ was not an instaget, but in about 5-10 seconds I figured it out.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:53 pm

If we had 35 seconds to do FJ I'd have gotten it right. The clue totally confused me at first and concentrated on the first part of the clue but didn't undertsand the "slave to a vice" bit. I went with serf just to have something. Then addiction clicked in as soon as the music ended. Face slap time.

Really bad bet by second place. The game was not a crush and second place wins on a TS with a much smaller bet.

DBear
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DBear » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:09 pm

I answered "What is a chain smoker?" for FJ :roll:
Picked up Neil Young, stone walls do not a prison make, and Ramesses trash. I was ready to riot if they didn't have Rush in a Canadian Rock category. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:49 pm

[mental gears grinding]
[after about 20 seconds of silence]
Me: ..err....a-a-addict?

I wish I could say there was some impressive thought process behind it all. Whatever, I'll take it.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:55 pm

I am one of the biggest gripers about the Word categories for FJ. After getting the 12/2, 12/9 and now 12/16 correct I will have to stop complaining. I looked at the clue and had nothing. Slave to vices had me think of vices like drugs and gambling. Someone with problems in that area is an addict. It sounded good enough to me to fit the first part of the clue. When dependent was shown as a response I did not know if that correct until it was ruled incorrect. A solve is a solve and I'll take it.

Beth had a very good game on Thursday, but the magic was not there tonight. Jason was determined not to waste his shot at last. He has been watching the show a long time because it looked like he was leaning into the old microphones that used to be there for the players in the Reagan administration days.

Pretty funny to get a George Washington Carver clue tonight and that's all I'll say not to spoil things about other games this week and their previous discussions.

Canada Rocks. Where's Loverboy? Where's Chilliwack? Where's Glass Tiger?

It was nice that the show found time for Alex to be Willard Scott tonight. That had to be a thrill for the woman and her family.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:02 pm

The only word I could name for a slave to a vice was the right one. My third 5/5 in four weeks.

I don't get the people who underwager a late DD and then overwager the FJ.

vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:10 pm

A great J! moment: Jason's gasp of surprise and delight when his FJ answer was validated....catharsis after a sixteen-year wait. Congratulations, Jason.
He's strong all around, but the Scrabble/crossword maestro must have loved the wordplay prevalent in today's boards.

one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:16 pm

MarkBarrett wrote: Canada Rocks. Where's Loverboy? Where's Chilliwack? Where's Glass Tiger?
Nae. The Tragically Hip & Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet!
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:41 pm

DWS wrote:FJ was not an instaget, but in about 5-10 seconds I figured it out.
Same here. Once I figured it out, I was surprised it wasn't a triple-get. In retrospect, it sounds like it could be a teen/college tourney level FJ.

I thought it was fitting that "Coccyx," and "Napoleon" were correct responses on the same show, since I only got Coccyx as a result of having seen "Napoleon Dynamite." But would they have accepted a pronunciation of "Cock-iks?" Judges? I'm thinking you can pronounce it that was and not change the spelling.

Congrats to Jason for finally getting his shot and making the most of it.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:54 pm

thenextofken wrote:I thought it was fitting that "Coccyx," and "Napoleon" were correct responses on the same show, since I only got Coccyx as a result of having seen "Napoleon Dynamite." But would they have accepted a pronunciation of "Cock-iks?" Judges? I'm thinking you can pronounce it that was and not change the spelling.
I believe they would have accepted it, but I'm not sure.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:59 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:Beth had a very good game on Thursday, but the magic was not there tonight. Jason was determined not to waste his shot at last.
Every player has a shot at last. It was his shot at first that Jason didn't waste. :D
MarkBarrett wrote:Canada Rocks. Where's Loverboy? Where's Chilliwack? Where's Glass Tiger?
No way any of those three would be a correct response, even for a $2,000 clue. They would have had to make the actual clue about something else and tie the group in somehow.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:01 am

vellore wrote:A great J! moment: Jason's gasp of surprise and delight when his FJ answer was validated....catharsis after a sixteen-year wait. Congratulations, Jason.
Absolutely! I had a little crush on Beth, so it was sad to see her go. But there was no way to root against Jason after his story. And that reaction made it all worthwhile and then some. One of the best we've had, I think.

Samer
Valued Contributor

Post by Samer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:01 am

Fun fact: Mr. Keller was a former TRASHionals teammate of mine.

Fun fact #2: That same team also included former college winner Andrew Hutchings.

Fun fact #3: Mr. Keller was at my last audition.

Not-so-fun-fact: And the one before that.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:49 am

I think my wife saying to me pretty much every day when I watch the show that I'm "addicted to Jeopardy!" helped.

(I haven't figured out yet if she means it in jest, in spite, or a combination thereof.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

marpocky

Post by marpocky » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:19 am

Underwager, I think, on the John/Paul/George DD. 2 Johns and 2 Pauls had already been revealed, so you already knew going in that the answer would be George somebody.