TD 354 Mr. Peabody VIII my homework

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 354 Mr. Peabody VIII my homework

Post by BobF »

So I saw 9/18 was coming up. Nothing special about that date, but when I was a child, I learned some term for a number where one of the digits was a multiple of the other. Over the years, I've forgotten that term, and Google can't seem to help me find it. I learned about this in 1976, and I thought hey, does 1976 qualify? So we're doing something of a time travelling TD.

It's the ninth month of the year, but to us Javascript developers, it's the eighth, with January being month number 0. Putting these two facts together, and as an homage to clt013, I've named this one Mr. Peabody VIII my homework.

Rules/Notes
1) Lowest point total wins; your score for each question is equal to the total number of players submitting that same answer
2) You may use one drop and take zero points for that question
3) You may elect to take the sheep answer for 1 question
4) Wrong responses are the higher of either +8 points or the "sheep" answer +3
5) All answers are due via PM by 9:00 AM EDT on Monday, September 25, 2017 (or whenever I start the reveal)

2020: I don't know what's going to happen in this year yet. But there's a news show called 20/20. The one with the really catchy theme song. Name one of the 13 people who have served as ANCHORS of 20/20, not correspondents. There's currently 2 anchors.

1995: The year of the birth of my first child. He didn't make this list, but I'm asking you to give me one of the top 10 boy or girl names for US born babies for 1995 according to Social Security records.

1976: The year of our bicentennial. So what I'm going to ask is to name the date observed by any North American nation as their version of Independence Day, nation and date.

1957: Interesting year here from my own personal perspective, so there's 3 questions here.
1. First manned satellite went into orbit. This is important to me because I've always been fascinated with space and I got to work for NASA for 2 1/2 years before the commute killed me. So, name a man who blasted off on a mission where a person walked on the moon. In other words, someone aboard Apollo XI, XII, XIV, XV, XVI or XVII.

2. 1957 was the last year the Dodgers played in Brooklyn and the Giants played in New York. Name any of the major sports franchises (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) that have relocated to or from California, or have moved from one metropolitan area to another within California.

3. The Pluto Platter AKA Frisbee was invented. Ultimate Frisbee is my all-time favorite sport. For this one, you'll need to give me the letter and tell me the name of this throw.
A. The easiest and probably most commonly used throw. It is the most generic and natural way to throw a disc.
B. Put 2 fingers (Pointer & middle) under the disc and your thumb on top. Throw as if you were trying to skip a flat rock on water. Keeping the disc parallel with the ground is really important. The key element to the [redacted] throw is the spin you put on the disc.
C. Simply pretend like you are throwing an axe. First, hold the disc with your pointer and middle finger on the inner side of the disc, your thumb on the other side. (It is typically held the same way as a [throw B]).
D. With your thumb in the cup of the disc and all four fingers on top stretch your arm out. Your arm should be straight and parallel with the ground with the disc as far away from your shoulder as possible.
E. In one motion lift up your arm and straighten it, unbend your knees, and give the disc a tiny bit of spin as you release it upward.
F. Only effective for short passes, it resembles a shovel pass in football. Hold the frisbee like throw A, but give it an outward push as you release it.

1938: Germany annexed Sudetenland. So, your challenge will be to name a country that was fully taken over by another country during the 20th century.

1919: The year the 18th Amendment, Prohibition, went into effect. Also the year that 21 people were killed by a tidal wave of molasses in Boston. Maybe they outlawed the wrong liquid? Give me an amendment and the year that amendments (11 through 27) took effect.

1890: The last time in the 19th century we had 2 new states added to the union, as Idaho and Wyoming entered the union. Name a state admitted to the union 1890 or earlier that was admitted the same year as another U.S. state (18 possible answers).

1872: Ulysses S. Grant was re-elected to a second term in office. Name one of his 11 predecessors who did NOT receive a 2nd term in office (i.e, they must have served no more than 4 years in office and not won an election while the incumbent).
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BobF

Re: TD 354 Mr. Peabody VIII my homework

Post by BobF »

So, I had a beach weekend this weekend, which means I've been ignoring this. Found some beaches that still had guards on September weekdays a 3.5 hour drive from home, so I took my 13 year old for some end of the season boogie boarding. I'm going to make the deadline tomorrow morning 10 AM EDT and I'll post a participant list later.

Oh, and BUMP!
BobF

Post by BobF »

Participants so far, plus a clarification. The show that got a new anchor last night was NOT 20/20. Just an FYI.

dhkendall
gamawire
AFRET CMS
jsm378
ElendilPickle
zerobandwidth (best of retroluck on the real thing, not on this silly contest)
Tybalteon
MarkBarrett
classicroadster
IronHorse
floridagator
clt013
merica
BobF

Post by BobF »

As is my habit, I will reveal the questions with the lowest cumulative score first and save the ones with the highest cumulative score until the end.

First the 1919 question, name an amendment 11 through 27 with the year it went into effect. Of course, there was a safe play here, you could have chosen the 18th Amendment and the year 1919.

Wrong answers 8:
Tybalteon XIV 1865 (sorry, it was 1868)
merica XXVI 1972 (so close, but it was 1971)
econgator XXI 1930 (it was 1933)

Co-sheep XIII 1865: 2 points
gamawire
ElendilPickle

Co-sheep XIX 1920: 2 points
Ironhorse
clprez

Singletons:
jsm378 XVIII 1919
MarkBarrett XXI 1933
floridagator XXV 1967
clt013 XIV 1868
vintsanity XVI 1913 (one of my least favorite Amendments)
Category 13 XXVI 1971

DROP 0:
dhkendall
AFRET CMS
zerobandwidth
classicroadster
immaf

1995 question, name one of the 10 most popular boy or girl names for 1995 (here is my source: https://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-names-1995.htm):

Wrong answers: 8
merica - Jennifer (ranked 18th)
Vintsanity - Andrew (ranked 11th)

Co-sheep Samantha (4): 2 points
dhkendall
floridagator

Co-sheep Jacob (4): 2 points
jsm378
classicroadster

Co-sheep Michael (1): 2 points
zerobandwidth
MarkBarrett

SHEEP: 2 points
gamawire
econgator

Singletons:
Christopher (3) AFRET CMS
Matthew (2) ElendilPickle
Tyler (7) Tybalteon
Emily (3) Ironhorse
Taylor (6 girls) clt013
Jessica (1) clprez
Joshua (5) immaf
Austin (10) Category 13

Standings so far:
18. merica 16
17. econgator 10
15. Vintsanity 9
Tybalteon 9
14, gamawire 4
8. clprez 3
floridagator 3
Ironhorse 3
MarkBarrett 3
ElendilPickle 3
jsm378 3
3. Category 13 2
ctl013 2
classicroadster 2
zerobandwidth 2
dhkendal 2
1. immaf 1
AFRET CMS 1
Last edited by BobF on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BobF wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 pm First the 1919 question, name an amendment 11 through 27 with the year it went into effect. Of course, there was a safe play here, you could have chosen the 18th Amendment and the year 1919.

Singletons:
jsm378 XVII 1919
Did jsm378 take advantage of this safe play that I totally overlooked (although it would have got me more points) and you just entered the amendment number wrong (missing an I), or did he actually say XVII (i.e. 17th amendment) in 1919 (which was wrong, because it was 1913)?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

In the context of "useful trivia knowledge" I must admit to being completely deficient in amendments by year (though I'm OK-ish on their content) but I'll take what I can get. :oops:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
BobF

Post by BobF »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:42 am
BobF wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 pm First the 1919 question, name an amendment 11 through 27 with the year it went into effect. Of course, there was a safe play here, you could have chosen the 18th Amendment and the year 1919.

Singletons:
jsm378 XVII 1919
Did jsm378 take advantage of this safe play that I totally overlooked (although it would have got me more points) and you just entered the amendment number wrong (missing an I), or did he actually say XVII (i.e. 17th amendment) in 1919 (which was wrong, because it was 1913)?
Yeah, sorry, it was late and I was rushing so I could get to bed at a reasonable time.
BobF

Post by BobF »

1872 Question, name a one term president before Grant

Sheep: W.H. Harrison (4)
dhkendall
gamawire
zerobandwidth
immaf

John Quincy Adams (3)
clprez
Vintsanity
Category 13

Andrew Johnson (2)
AFRET CMS
econgator

Polk (2)
MarkBarrett
Ironhorse

Taylor (2)
floridagator
clt013

Singletons:
Van Buren - jsm378
John Adams - ElendilPickle
Tyler - Tybalteon
Pierce - classicroadster
Fillmore - merica

The Frisbee throw question (1957). First I'll reveal the correct answers, most of which went unused:
A. BACKHAND - The easiest and probably most commonly used throw. It is the most generic and natural way to throw a disc.
B. FOREHAND - Put 2 fingers (Pointer & middle) under the disc and your thumb on top. Throw as if you were trying to skip a flat rock on water. Keeping the disc parallel with the ground is really important. The key element to the [redacted] throw is the spin you put on the disc.
C. OVERHAND or HAMMER Simply pretend like you are throwing an axe. First, hold the disc with your pointer and middle finger on the inner side of the disc, your thumb on the other side. (It is typically held the same way as a [throw B]).
D. CHICKEN WING - With your thumb in the cup of the disc and all four fingers on top stretch your arm out. Your arm should be straight and parallel with the ground with the disc as far away from your shoulder as possible.
E. ELEVATOR - In one motion lift up your arm and straighten it, unbend your knees, and give the disc a tiny bit of spin as you release it upward. THIS IS ONE I USE WHEN I'M TEACHING YOUNG KIDS TO CATCH A FRISBEE
F. PUSH PASS - Only effective for short passes, it resembles a shovel pass in football. Hold the frisbee like throw A, but give it an outward push as you release it.

WRONG ANSWER 8
A - Underhand - econgator

SHEEP (And only correctly used answer) C Overhand/Hammer 4
AFRET CMS
jsm378
zerobandwidth
classicroadster

SHEEP selected 4
dhkendall
Tybalteon
Ironhorse
Vintsanity
immaf

Lots of people dropped the frisbee (question)
gamawire
ElendilPickle
MarkBarrett
floridagator
clt013
merica
clprez
Category 13

The standings through 4 questions:
18. econgator 20
17. merica 17
16. Vintsanity 16
15. Tybalteon 14
13. zerobandwith and dhkendall tied with 10
11. Ironhorse and immaf tied with 9
9. gamawire and jsm378 tied with 8
7. AFRET CMS and classicroadster tied with 7
6. clprez 6
3. Category 13, floridagator, MarkBarrett tied with 5
1. clt013 and ElendilPickle tied with 4

With 6 questions remaining, every player will have at least 12 more points added to their score and no more than 34, so stay tuned.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Boy this is a hard game when there aren't as many players. I'm in 6th place with 6 points after 4 questions. I almost went with a sheep on the frisbee question instead of a drop because I thought it played hard. It turns out that everybody that made a guess made the same guess, so either I'm really wise to have done the drop, or the question that I later on made an educated guess on will show that it was a big mistake. Stay tuned.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BobF wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:31 pm WRONG ANSWER 8
A - Underhand - econgator
Like I said, I didn't even know that they had names.
With 6 questions remaining, every player will have at least 12 more points added to their score and no more than 34, so stay tuned.
So that'll put me ending at 54. :)
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Oh dear. :lol:

BobF

Post by BobF »

Sorry but the reveal will take longer than I would like. Site just got blocked on work PC and entering the scores on my phone is too prone to errors. Sorry for the delay.
BobF

Post by BobF »

During lunch I'm going to try to score a couple more questions create a post in a text file email it to myself and cut and paste it on here. Hope it works.
BobF

Post by BobF »

The first 1957 question, people who flew on an Apollo mission in which a man walked on the moon (Xi, XII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII)

Sheep: Michael Collins, Apollo XI, 5
dhkendall
gamawire
zerobandwidth
Ironhorse
immaf

Harrison Schmitt, Apollo XVII, 3
ElendilPickle
Vintsanity
Category 13

Alan Shepard, Apollo XIV, 2
MarkBarrett
classicroadster

Eugene Cernan, Apollo XVII, 2
merica
clprez

Singletons:
Alan (Mr.) Bean, Apollo XII, AFRET CMS
James Irwin, Apollo XV, jsm378
Neil Armstrong, Apollo XI, Tybalteon
David Scott, Apollo XV, floridagator
John Young, Apollo XVI, clt013
Charles Duke, Apollo XVI, econgator

The 1938 question, a country that was taken over by another (and I was rather liberal with what I accepted):

Wrong Answer, 8
Category 13, French Indochina, which was taken over by France in 1887
classicroadster, Finland, which was taken over by Russia in the early 1800's
Kyrgyzstan (by USSR), zerobandwidth

Sheep, Poland (WWII), 5
gamawire
ElendilPickle
MarkBarrett
merica
clprez

Tibet (1950 by China)
AFRET CMS
jsm378
floridagator

Estonia (by USSR)
dhkendall
Ironhorse

Kuwait (by Iraq 1990)
clt013
econgator

Singletons:
France (by Germany), Tybalteon
Georgia (by Florida, no I mean by USSR), clprez
Latvia (by USSR), immaf

Standings after 6 questions:
17th (tie) merican and Vintsanity 24
15th (tie) econgator and zerobandwidth 23
14th gamawire 18
12th (tie) dhkendall and classicroadster 17
9th (tie) Tybalteon, Ironhorse, Category 13 16
8th immaf 15
5th (tie) jsm378, ElendilPickle, MarkBarrett 12
4th AFRET CMS 11
2nd (tie) floridagator and clprez 9
1st ctl013 7

Everybody gets between 8 and 28 points in the final 4 questions, so it's still anybody's game!
In fact, 3 of the 4 bottom people as of right now have the 3 lowest remaining points to be revealed.
Last edited by BobF on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BobF wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:04 pm The 1938 question, a country that was taken over by another (and I was rather liberal with what I accepted):

Singletons:
I would say that's wrong, Firstly, there wasn't a nation of Kyrgyzstan before Russia [more on that later] took it over, just a region. Secondly, at the dawn of the 20th century, what would later become Kyrgyzstan at the end of said century was already part of the Russian Empire, as Russia took it over in the 1880s. (The USSR had yet to exist). The only sovereign states the USSR took over in the 20th century (Russia didn't take over any before becoming the USSR) are the three Baltic states, the rest were already part of the Russian Empire.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

(emphasis added by me)
BobF wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:04 pm The 1938 question, a country that was taken over by another (and I was rather liberal with what I accepted):
Singletons:
dhkendall wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:06 pm I would say that's wrong, Firstly, there wasn't a nation of Kyrgyzstan before Russia [more on that later] took it over, just a region. Secondly, at the dawn of the 20th century, what would later become Kyrgyzstan at the end of said century was already part of the Russian Empire, as Russia took it over in the 1880s. (The USSR had yet to exist). The only sovereign states the USSR took over in the 20th century (Russia didn't take over any before becoming the USSR) are the three Baltic states, the rest were already part of the Russian Empire.
I had a weak counter-argument, but the more I read and re-read the detailed history, the more I'm inclined to concede this one. I tried too hard to be too different, and ended up just being wrong.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

zerobandwidth wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:41 pm (emphasis added by me)
Singletons:
dhkendall wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:06 pm I would say that's wrong, Firstly, there wasn't a nation of Kyrgyzstan before Russia [more on that later] took it over, just a region. Secondly, at the dawn of the 20th century, what would later become Kyrgyzstan at the end of said century was already part of the Russian Empire, as Russia took it over in the 1880s. (The USSR had yet to exist). The only sovereign states the USSR took over in the 20th century (Russia didn't take over any before becoming the USSR) are the three Baltic states, the rest were already part of the Russian Empire.
I had a weak counter-argument, but the more I read and re-read the detailed history, the more I'm inclined to concede this one. I tried too hard to be too different, and ended up just being wrong.
I’m guessing you answered it because you’re a Sporcler. ;)

BobF

Post by BobF »

Yeah, this is one I just took at face value and didn't research to try to disprove it. I'm going to fix the scores. And I will finish this reveal sometime soon. Sorry for the delays. I had planned on doing some more of the reveal this morning since I took a day off from my primary job, but I had to figure out what's wrong with my son's car and then spend the rest of the morning preparing for class. I was a slacker in the afternoon, I went to the gym and played a bit of basketball. Then my wife corralled me for shopping when I got home.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Okay, here's the results of the final 1957 question, about teams that relocated to CA, from CA or to different metropolitan areas within CA. After this, got to go feed the dog and get ready for bed.

SHEEP - Lakers (moved from Minneapolis, thus the incongruous name)
AFRET CMS
jsm378
Tybalteon
Ironhorse
floridagator
Category 13

Rams, 4 (moved from Cleveland to LA to St. Louis to LA)
dhkendall
ElendilPickle
zerobandwidth
immaf

Raiders, 2 (moved from Oakland to LA and back)
gamawire
merica

Golden Seals (NHL team, moved to Cleveland and became the Barons, later merged with the Minnesota North Stars who then moved to Dallas)
MarkBarrett
classicroadster

Sacramento Kings (moved from Rochester where they were the Royals)
clt013
Vintsanity

Singletons:
Athletics (moved from Philadelphia to Kansas City to Oakland): clprez
Warriors (also moved from Philadelphia to Oakland without the stop in Kansas City) econgator
BobF

Post by BobF »

Okay, on to our 8th question, the statehood question.

Wrong answers 8 points
Maine, jsm378 and classicroadster. Alabama was the 22nd state in 1819, Maine was 23rd in 1820, Missouri was 24th in 1821. This one was very close.
Kansas, zerobandwidth. Oregon was 33rd in 1859, Kansas was 34th in 1861, and West Virginia was 35th in 1863.
Michigan, Tybalteon. Arkansas was 25th in 1836, Michigan was 26th in 1837, and one of our correct answers was 27th.
Missouri, Ironhorse. As noted above, Maine and Missouri were 23 and 24 and Arkansas was 25.
Kentucky, immaf. Vermont was 14th in 1791, Kentucky was 15th in 1792, Tennessee was 16th in 1796.

Sheep, North Dakota 4 (entered the same day as South Dakota)
dhkendall
floridagator
merica
clprez

South Dakota, 2 points
MarkBarrett
econgator

Texas (entered in 1845 as did Florida) 2 points
ElendilPickle
clt013

Singletons:
Florida, gamawire
Georgia, 1788 with 7 other states, AFRET CMS
Maryland, also 1788, Vintsanity
Washington, 9 days after the Dakotas and 3 days after Montana, Category 13

Unused answers other than the ones mentioned above: Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey 1787. Connecticut, Massachusetts, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Virginia, New York 1788. Idaho and Wyoming, used in the question 1890.

Standings after 8 questions:
18th zerobandwidth 35
15th (tie) merica, Tybalteon and Ironhorse 30
12th (tie) immaf, Vintsanity and classicroadster 27
10th (tie) jsm378 and econgator 26
9th dhkendal 25
8th Category 13 with 23 points
7th gamawire 21
6th floridagator 19
4th (tie) AFRET CMS and ElendilPickle 18
3rd MarkBarrett 16
2nd clprez 14
1st ctl013 11

Since everybody will get between 1 and 16 points on the last 2 questions, about a 3rd of the players are within striking distance of the top spot and 2/3rds within striking distance of the podium. Stay tuned for the wild last 2 questions!