Tuesday, September 19, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7592, 2017-09-19

CONTESTANTS
Farhad Mahmoudi, a client services director from Encinitas, California
Betsy Knudson, an attorney from Salt Lake City, Utah
Angela Ward, a family assessment writer from Longview, Texas (whose 1-day cash winnings total $11,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. If you were watching yesterday, I'm sure you noticed that Angela not only played well, but she seemed to take a great deal of pleasure, a great deal of enjoyment in competing. And Betsy and Farhad, that's bad news for you. But you never know. Here we go into the first round. And here are the categories you three deal with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEN IN HATS (5/5)
RIGHT ON Q (4/5)
SONNETS (4/5)
BRAND NAME MEANINGS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOWS (4/5)
DITLOIDS (5/5) (Alex: Now, let me give you an example of a ditloid clue: If we said, "N 10 D S", "What is Number 10 Downing Street?")

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Betsy: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Farhad: 7 R, 0 W
Angela: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Angela found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Angela had $600, Betsy was scoreless, and Farhad was at $600. Angela wagered $1,000.

BRAND NAME MEANINGS $800: This gas brand gets its name from a badge used in heraldry
(Angela: What is Exxon?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Betsy: $3,000
Farhad: $2,800
Angela: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Farhad Mahmoudi is from Encinitas, California. Farhad, I know a number of people, friends of mine, who are allergic to different animals. You have encountered the opposite of that.

Farhad: That's correct. My wife, Talitha, and I have a nine-year-old Boston Terrier named Nutmeg. When we got her as a puppy, she was having all sorts of skin issues and itchiness. And we took her to a dermatologist, and they gave her an allergy panel the same way that humans get allergy panels. And one of the items that came back that she was allergic to is human dander.

[Laughter]

Farhad: So the same way that you and I can be allergic to pet dander, she is allergic to human dander.

Alex: Has she gotten over it with you?

Farhad: She gets a monthly shot. She's doing a lot better now.

Alex: Okay. Thank you.

Alex: Betsy Knudson is an attorney from Salt Lake City, Utah. And you knew your boyfriend was a keeper when he did what?

Betsy: Yes. My boyfriend, Jason, converted our formal dining room into a library, which was much more useful and very much appreciated.

Alex: Food for the brain.

Betsy: Exactly.

Alex: All right, good for you. Sounds like a good guy.

Alex: Angela Ward, our champion, from Longview, Texas. You do studies for prospective foster and adoptive parents.

Angela: That's right.

Alex: That sounds like a very important job, because we have to be careful with those people, right?

Angela: We do. It's a lot of fun. I'm getting to work with the good people, the people that want to help children that are in a bad situation, so it's very enjoyable and rewarding.

Alex: But you get to evaluate them up close and personal, I take it.

Angela: Oh, yes.

Alex: It's not from afar.

Angela: No, I go to their homes. I ask a bunch of really nosy questions--

Alex: Good.

Angela: And get to know 'em.

Alex: All right. That's what we need.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SONNETS $600: Shakespeare wrote, "My mistress' eyes are nothing like" this heavenly body

RIGHT ON Q $1000: It may ring a bell that this Italian with a "Q" name won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1959

SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOWS $1000: Many of the early shows including the first one featured this Louisiana school's famous marching band

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Betsy: $8,600
Farhad: $3,600
Angela: $1,200
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE REVOLUTION (4/5)
IT'S A WIRED WORLD (4/5)
ORCHESTRA (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FISHY CINEMA (5/5)
TRANSYLVANIA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"VEL"COME (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Farhad: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Betsy: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Angela: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Betsy snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Angela had $1,200, Betsy had $11,000, and Farhad was at $4,000. Betsy wagered $3,000.

TRANSYLVANIA $1600: To the north & east, Transylvania is bounded by these mountains that are a continuation of the Alps

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Farhad who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Angela had $8,400, Betsy had $21,200, and Farhad was at $10,400. Farhad wagered $5,000.

ORCHESTRA $1600: In 1977 the Cincinnati Symphony created the Cincinnati this Orchestra to play lighter classics in less formal attire

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE REVOLUTION $2000: Pridi Phanamyong was among the "Promoters" who ended this SE Asian country's absolute monarchy in 1932

IT'S A WIRED WORLD $2000: Japan's K computer was the first to reach 10 of these units of processing speeds, one of which equals 1,000 teraflops

ORCHESTRA $2000: In Disney's "Fantasia", this conductor of the Philadelphia Orchestra pals around with Mickey Mouse

ORCHESTRA $1200: The former Electric Light Orchestra, now billed as this singer's ELO, appeared with an actual orchestra on its 2016 tour

ORCHESTRA $800: "The Art of" playing this reed instrument says the designation "clown of the orchestra" is an insult

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Betsy: $21,200
Farhad: $15,400
Angela: $8,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POTENT & NONPOTENT POTABLES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Betsy: Wager $9,601 to cover Farhad.
Farhad: You need to wager $1,401 to cover Angela's doubled score, but no more than $3,800 if you want to top Betsy on a Triple Stumper.
Angela: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $3,200), you might try betting $7,001, playing for a win if Farhad tries to two-thirds Betsy (though, from this position, a wager of all $8,400 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Farhad to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Reverse the 2 words in the name of this Canadian whisky brand & you get the name of a cola

FINAL SCORES
Angela: $8,400 + $6,600 = $15,000 (What is Crown Roy Royal?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Farhad: $15,400 + $5,801 = $21,201 (What is Crown Royal?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Betsy: $21,200 + $8,000 = $29,200 (What is Royal Crown? (Crown Royal)) (New champion: $29,200)
(Alex: We'll accept either response as being correct.)
(Alex: [To Angela] That's the Canadian whisky.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Betsy: $19,800, 22 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Farhad: $12,000, 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Angela: $9,400, 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $41,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Betsy: 23/59 = .390
Farhad: 18/59 = .305
Angela: 13/59 = .220
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MEN IN HATS $200: People spent a lot of time on his couch

MEN IN HATS $400: He's the cat in the top hat

MEN IN HATS $600: This British admiral and naval hero looked quite dashing in his uniform

MEN IN HATS $800: Oh, tell us the name of this Italian operatic composer

MEN IN HATS $1000: He's the Dubliner seen here

RIGHT ON Q $200: He's the older of the acting Quaid brothers
(Angela: Who is Dennis?)

TRANSYLVANIA $1200: Transylvania is home to wolves, brown bears, and this wild feline, Europe's version of the bobcat

TRANSYLVANIA $2000: Take the Y off a German state to get the name of this Germanic people who built fortified churches in Transylvania

"VEL"COME $2000: In 1650 this Spanish artist painted his slave, Juan de Pareja, whom he soon freed

IT'S A WIRED WORLD $1200: Your smartphone isn't literally attached to you, unlike this type of "smart" product such as Samsung's Gear line
(Farhad: What is VR?)
(Betsy: What is a watch?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Chevron
the sun
Salvatore Quasimodo
Grambling
the Carpathian Mountains
the Cincinnati Pops
Thailand
a petaflop
Leopold Stokowski
Jeff Lynne
the bassoon
Crown Royal or Royal Crown
Freud
Winston Churchill
Lord Nelson
(Giuseppe) Verdi
(James) Joyce
Randy
the lynx
the Saxons
Velazquez
a smartwatch
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POTENT & NONPOTENT POTABLES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Reverse the 2 words in the name of this Canadian whisky brand & you get the name of a cola

Angela Ward: 8400+6600=15000
Betsy Knudson: 21200+8000=29200 (New Champ)
Farhad Mahmoudi: 15400+5801=21201

Correct response:
Spoiler
Crown Royal or Royal Crown (Angela – Crown Royal Roy) (Betsy – Royal Crown (Crown Royal) ) (Farhad – Crown Royal)

Daily Doubles
Angela: 600-1000
Betsy: 11000+3000
Farhad: 10400+5000

Coryats
Angela: 9400
Betsy: 19800
Farhad: 12000

Combined: 41,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Angela: 1200
Betsy: 8600
Farhad: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One category to go, Betsy had control and she picked the top box. Sure enough Farhad ended up finding the last DD. Even if he had bet the farm he still would have trailed for the FJ! round, but he did break the lock. Did Betsy bet to cover Farhad's potential 30,800? Nope, she went up to 29,200. What did Farhad do? There's that bet to get to the leader's score entering the FJ! round and go a buck above it.

The FJ! clue had me thinking only one way was correct and I double-checked that I had the whisky. In a weird bit of timing I recently watched an episode of Live with Kelly & Ryan and they had kid magicians on. Part of the act was mentioning grandma's "medicine" and using three of the purple bags marked with today's correct response: https://youtu.be/yJU9lN_hcII?t=31

I think I would have got the clue anyway in being familiar with the cola portion.

The Montgomery airing at 7:30 this morning was no go thanks to President Trump's speech. I caught Birmingham at 12:30 and that had a weather crawl, but the game complete. Before the ending credits rolled there was a break-in for the Mexico earthquake, so one of those days.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

So, are we going to have a bunch of "Nerdly Factoid" false starts like we thought we were having when news of Ken Jennings leaked back in 2004?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:13 pm
The Montgomery airing at 7:30 this morning was no go thanks to President Trump's speech. I caught Birmingham at 12:30 and that had a weather crawl, but the game complete. Before the ending credits rolled there was a break-in for the Mexico earthquake, so one of those days.
The Reddit guy used the Birmingham episode today, so it was like home away from home for me. He left in some of the ads so I got to see all the attorneys I might want to consider if I'm injured in an accident. No Alabama Hammer, sadly.

Nothing for me on FJ. I'm not really a big hard liquor guy so I wasn't getting this one. Plus I usually call the impotent potable an RC.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:39 pm
The Reddit guy used the Birmingham episode today, so it was like home away from home for me. He left in some of the ads so I got to see all the attorneys I might want to consider if I'm injured in an accident. No Alabama Hammer, sadly.

Nothing for me on FJ. I'm not really a big hard liquor guy so I wasn't getting this one. Plus I usually call the impotent potable an RC.
Ditto for me, sadly. I brain-farted that RC stood for something, and guessed "CR" to have something to say. Soooooo close.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Potent potables is not a strong category..so lost on this. Best guess was 'fire ball' (even though I realized it is one word).

Strong game by Betsy. Diltoid category was very easy.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:10 pm So, are we going to have a bunch of "Nerdly Factoid" false starts like we thought we were having when news of Ken Jennings leaked back in 2004?
?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Oh, the lawyer ads from Alabama are relentless with the daily repetition. The Mike Slocumb ones are a hoot and his latest ones doing a baby lullaby aired during the rerun game that preceded the new game. What's really foreign to me coming from a San Francisco & California blue area are the ads for Roy Moore and Luther Strange showing a red perspective. A sampling of both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H1jxzmdWwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrLj0OsVxiE
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

doihavetoreally wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:56 pm ?
Look in the "Season 34" thread.

Now, the backstory: Back in 2004, Merv Griffin leaked on a talk show that the Ken Jennings streak was about to happen but gave no further details. For the next six weeks the Sony boards tongue-wagged at every single strong debut, thinking they may be witnessing the start of the great streak. "Nerdly Factoid" was the nickname given to the as-yet-unknown champion.
Andy Saunders
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:02 pm Oh, the lawyer ads from Alabama are relentless with the daily repetition. The Mike Slocumb ones are a hoot and his latest ones doing a baby lullaby aired during the rerun game that preceded the new game.
The one with him holding the baby is his best one yet. I know he is a lawyer, but has he no shame?
What's really foreign to me coming from a San Francisco & California blue area are the ads for Roy Moore and Luther Strange showing a red perspective. A sampling of both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H1jxzmdWwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrLj0OsVxiE
So Pelosi and Fenstein don't run ads like that? :lol:

I voted absentee last week of the Senate runoff. I literally held my nose when I marked my ballot for Strange
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Being here in north Florida, those ads (including fellow lawyer Alexander Shunarrah) spill across the border from the Dothan stations, one of them with the Alabama secretary of state still reminding you to vote on August 15th! :shock:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Now, the backstory: Back in 2004, Merv Griffin leaked on a talk show that the Ken Jennings streak was about to happen but gave no further details. For the next six weeks the Sony boards tongue-wagged at every single strong debut, thinking they may be witnessing the start of the great streak. "Nerdly Factoid" was the nickname given to the as-yet-unknown champion.
This is awesome. I'm guessing if Ken ever heard of this he'd proudly own the nickname.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Having Crown Royal made not that far from here (in a town I've visited several times) made it a pretty easy get.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:11 pm Having Crown Royal made not that far from here (in a town I've visited several times) made it a pretty easy get.
Should someone try to come up with a mixed drink with Crown Royal called the Gimli Glider?
Andy Saunders
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Betsy played a strong game and displayed a good breadth of knowledge. I was actually surprised to learn upon checking that she's not a LLama. (Is she being rumored somewhere to be a nerdly factoid?) I'm going to assume that her slight underwager in FJ was a math error, but hopefully she'll explain it either here or on the TJF live panel. She also had the chance to bury her opponents with a more robust DD wager early in the DJ round (she wagered $3,000), but it's a rare contestant who will feel comfortable doing that.

As others will observe, Farhad had no reason not to go all-in on his DD late in the game. By wagering $5,000 (i think that's what it was), he ensured that he'd have no chance to win if he got it wrong anyway. So he conceded the chance to go into FJ with a lead, which admittedly wasn't fated to happen anyway with the last 2 clues on the board being TS'es -- but he had no reason not to try.

Instaget FJ for me. I hadn't heard of the whiskey brand, but it was a WECIB situation.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I mostly got FJ! because Royal Crown was the only cola I could think of that seemed to make any sense for a whisky brand. Whatever works works, I guess :lol:.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Yes, I know about the hype. Didn't know about the term.

As for your question, not yet for me. I would guess that with the TOC taping, lot more people are in the know?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Completely misunderstood the question and thought "reverse" meant the entire thing would be spelled backwards.

I'm glad I wasn't on the show because my answer of "What is Pu Neves?" looks pretty dumb
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Worst mispavlov ever: "This cat in the hat is seen here." "Who is Dr. Seuss?"

I never knew that "How do I love thee?" was Dickinson.

So I'm supposed to know whether Dennis or Randy Quaid is older, with absolutely no TOM whatsoever?

Not only did I run Fishy Cinema, I precalled 4 of the 5 responses.

BMSing "watch" to "smartwatch" was unnecessary since "smart" was in the clue.

Instaget FJ!