Wednesday, September 20, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

FJ came to me pretty quickly by just thinking which provinces would have Bs in their abbreviations - there's only 4, and NB led to the right state.
What do we think of antipodes instead of antipodal? Didn't we have some boardies claiming that an adjective can't be a term a couple months ago??
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

I missed this episode because I was trying to find a place for a viewing party for next Wednesday. So weird. :ugeek:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

DBear wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pm got home just in time to see the last category of J!
One category left in J!, no DD yet and you start at the top? :shock:
I thought FJ was teen level. Hell, I thought FJ was Divided level. :roll:
Mrs. Malaprop, woe, antipodean trash. If I had heard the clue correctly I would've got Nicosia.
If you said "antipodean," you didn't get that one; the clue asked for a nine-letter word.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I puzzled Final out by running down the _E abbreviations. There's three (not counting AE, which is not a state), and Nebraska's the only one with a B in its name.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:10 pm I am of the opinion that THE NEXT STATE CAPITAL ALPHABETICALLY might be more useful in a Tournament of Champions situation.
I thought the same thing about a category in my tape week, thankfully not in my shows: "Next Bible Book Alphabetically." That was a royal bloodbath.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:10 pm ETA: like TPH, I NHO the top-box response of Mannequin Challenge. MarkBarrrett, could you poll it?
And then follow up with asking who has participated in the challenge? Wasn't my idea, the younger coworkers corralled everyone into it. It was a harmless way to kill a few minutes on a Friday afternoon.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Someday I'm going to learn Canadian geography. I swear!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:03 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pm got home just in time to see the last category of J!
One category left in J!, no DD yet and you start at the top? :shock:
I thought FJ was teen level. Hell, I thought FJ was Divided level. :roll:
Mrs. Malaprop, woe, antipodean trash. If I had heard the clue correctly I would've got Nicosia.
If you said "antipodean," you didn't get that one; the clue asked for a nine-letter word.
Yep. I said "antipodean" and then counted the letters, realizing my error.

Thankfully I knew the circumstances for FJ, so my 7-day losing streak ends.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:01 pmLike Alex said you either know it or you don’t, or it’s tough to figure out.
Huh. Neither the missus nor I knew it but we both figured it out in plenty of time. I'd be willing to bet that more boardies got this right by working it out than just by happening to know this little fact.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:02 pm
Me too. I hate when they tell you the number of letters like that. It's not like you inherently know how many letters a word has.

On FJ I got hung up on Alberta and tried to think of what US state would have been AB, but obviously was barking up the wrong tree. Finally wrote down Maine thinking about of Manitoba when time was running out. A good thought if only Maine had a "b" in it somewhere. :)
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:10 pm I am of the opinion that THE NEXT STATE CAPITAL ALPHABETICALLY might be more useful in a Tournament of Champions situation.
If they're going to do it in the TOC they should just have the capitol and not the accompanying clue. That was the only way I got several of them.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

thenextofken wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 am
If they're going to do it in the TOC they should just have the capitol and not the accompanying clue. That was the only way I got several of them.
Capital. Capitol is the building in the Capital city.

I've always hated "...the next alphabetically" trivia. Who cares? It's just some arbitrary ordering method with no real meaning.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I am the son of two postal workers and son-in-law of another one.
But I got hung up on Alabama and Alberta and couldn't come up with another state with "b" in it and I stopped the playback and ran through them regionally. The only "e" that came to mind was Maine, (no b) and no Manitoba play there. I finally surrendered wondering if 1969 ran into the old 3 and 4 letter designations for states, which would be another degree of freedom I couldn't handle.

So, no get, even though I texted my wife this afternoon that the "Nebraskans" (my cousin) changed their plan and were not visiting this evening. Somehow I skipped Nebraska in my mental tour.
Fantastic clue, well done, writers.

I only know of Mrs. Malaprop from Engilish 4 in high school. I'm glad they don't waste time on such hogwash these days. When can we dump Shakespeare?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 am
thenextofken wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 am

I've always hated "...the next alphabetically" trivia. Who cares? It's just some arbitrary ordering method with no real meaning.
I'm with you, Kirk. Unless you've committed an alphabetical list of X to memory, you're forced to do a mad mental scramble through the X beginning with a given letter. Not my favorite kind of trivia.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 am
Somehow this eluded me until an episode last season when I thought there was a writer's faux pas. I thought "Capitol" was the entire seat of government (the city), and also that the blonde joke did not work in writing
Spoiler
(the one about the blonde that learned all the State Capitals : When asked, she says "the capital of Utah is "U"
In case it's eluded anyone else, Discreet is a real word, where I thought it was always a misspelling of "Discrete". And, Discretion comes from the former, I believe. It's also the better part of valor.

end of PSA
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Did anyone else say Spooner for the one with the correct answer of Malaprop? I always get those word screw-up terms confused.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 pm OK. Just put something on the FJ. Betsy dodged a bullet -- tomorrow will tell which of the two games is an anomaly.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:01 pm Like Alex said you either know it or you don’t, or it’s tough to figure out. I knew it, so nothing to think about during the music. Good thing for Justin he did not know it or losing 8700 to 9401 would have been haunting.
I didn't know it, but was able to figure it out. My bad - I should have looked up the reasoning for the FJ earlier as I wondered about it.

Antipodal brings DHK to mind..didn't he go into a lengthy discussion about antipodal when a FJ was Wellington? Too bad he wasn't playing this game. He would have cleaned-up on Nicosia too.
Unfortunately I said antipodean like dbear, but thanks for remembering that, I have an affinity for antipodean facts!

And yes, I wish I was playing this game (ah, who am I kidding, I wish I was playing any game of Jeopardy!), ran three categories, EUROPEA"N", THROAT, as well as the next state capital one (geography *and* wordplay, two of my strongest categories, with a soupçon of pointlessly ordered lists / alphabetization? Yes, that, please!) Plus several 4/5s (or 3/4s) with the missing one being a clam.

As far as Final goes, this was something I knew, but from a slightly different angle, I know that NE was the only state abbreviation to have changed since the introduction of state abbreviations, because of the potential confusion with New Brunswick. (This was done shortly after they were introduced, but I'm sure I saw somewhere a list with Nebraska listed as NB, but it also was from that time period.) (However, Nebraska's wasn't the only one to change, as Quebec's changed, more recently (i.e. I can actually remember it happening - I'm guessing early 90s?) from PQ to QC and in 2001 (?) the one of our newest province changed when the name changed from Newfoundland (NF) to Newfoundland and Labrador (NL), though that was due to a name change so I don't think that counts.)
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:48 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:02 pm
Me too. I hate when they tell you the number of letters like that. It's not like you inherently know how many letters a word has.
People* have always been amazed when I get the "14-letter word for such and such" clues and wonder how I count them. Simple fact is I don't, but I go by the fact that it looks like it has about 14 letters and my guesses are usually right. (Although see "antipodean" above). Just like a regular answer, if I"m at least 80% confident that the letters seem right without counting, I'll go for it. (Of course, if it's just 4 or 6 letters (or *around* there, wisenheimer!) I can take the time to quickly count).

(*"People" meaning non-trivia folk, I doubt there's much of my trivia prowess that would utterly amaze you guys.)
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:55 am Did anyone else say Spooner for the one with the correct answer of Malaprop? I always get those word screw-up terms confused.
Almost! Fortunately, I remembered the namesake Rev. Spooner in time, but didn't have enough time to switch gears to malaprop.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:55 am Did anyone else say Spooner for the one with the correct answer of Malaprop? I always get those word screw-up terms confused.
Nope. The clue specified "Mrs" and I know it's Mrs Malaprop but Reverend Spooner. (As a backup, I knew that Spooner was a real person, not the invention of a British playwright.) Now what I did forget is which foible attached to Mrs Malaprop. So I got the name right but in my head I thought of her as a woman who would go around collecting donations for the needless and the homely. That's more Reverend Gooner's spoof. Mrs Malaprop would simply ask if you wished to make a donation to clarity.
BobF

Post by BobF »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:21 am
Nope. The clue specified "Mrs" and I know it's Mrs Malaprop but Reverend Spooner. (As a backup, I knew that Spooner was a real person, not the invention of a British playwright.) Now what I did forget is which foible attached to Mrs Malaprop. So I got the name right but in my head I thought of her as a woman who would go around collecting donations for the needless and the homely. That's more Reverend Gooner's spoof. Mrs Malaprop would simply ask if you wished to make a donation to clarity.
Interesting. I thought Kirk was going for ironic humor with his post, but there is the possibility he was being serious.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

thenextofken wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm As for Anchorage, I got married there so I knew it wasn't a state capital, but I can never remember if it's Fairbanks or Juneau.
Juneau.
Spoiler
Now you say, "No, I just told you I don't" and we can work up a whole Abbot and Costello routine.