Friday, September 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7595, 2017-09-22

CONTESTANTS
Ivan Plis, a magazine editor from Washington, D.C.
Lauren Cusitello, a criminal & immigration defense lawyer from San Diego, California
Betsy Knudson, an attorney from Salt Lake City, Utah (whose 3-day cash winnings total $61,402)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. On one of her victories, Betsy survived by making a good wager in Final Jeopardy! But in the other two games, she has been solid as all get-out, winning a lot of money. Ivan and Lauren, good luck to you today against our champion. Here we go into the first round of play, which today features these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TIME FOR A DRINK (4/5)
ANIMALS WITH BEASTLY NAMES (4/5)
KIDDY LIT (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
OMAR'S COMIN'! (5/5)
4-SYLLABLE WORDS (5/5)
I'M NO QUITTER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ivan: 10 R, 0 W
Lauren: 10 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Betsy: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lauren found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Betsy had $1,000, Lauren had $2,600, and Ivan was at $600. Lauren wagered $1,400.

KIDDY LIT $600: In 2000 Robin McKinley retold this classic fairy tale in "Spindle's End"
(Lauren: What is "Rumpelstiltskin"?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ivan: $2,400
Lauren: $1,800
Betsy: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ivan Plis is a magazine editor from Washington, D.C. He was born in Russia. And I will assume that because of that, you can probably speak more than one language. How many?

Ivan: That's true. It depends on how you count 'em. I grew up speaking Russian at home. Spanish--paid attention in high school. Arabic--it depends on how many languages you count the Arabics I speak as, because linguists differ. And my English is pretty good too.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Lauren Cusitello. A little while ago, when you gave the response of "Sex on the Beach," you were kind of shy about it, and it bothered you. And yet, don't you play on a women's rugby team?

Lauren: That's right, Alex. And actually, my position is called hooker.

Alex: Oh!

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay, that's enough said. That's enough.

Alex: Betsy Knudson, when you made your first appearance on the program, I asked you about the guy in your life, and was he here to cheer you on. You said, "No, I sent him to the beach."

Betsy: That's right.

Alex: Ah. You've done very well with him out of our studio. Is he with us today, here? Or is he still at the beach?

Betsy: You know, I'm not seeing him today. I told him my nerves were such that it might be better if he just got the play-by-play after.

Alex: Okay. That's a good way to look at it.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TIME FOR A DRINK $400: I'm gonna party like it's 44 "B.C."! Mix me one of these, a Bloody Mary with clamato rather than tomato juice

ANIMALS WITH BEASTLY NAMES $800: The horned toad of the Americas isn't a toad at all, nor even a frog, but one of these reptiles

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ivan: $6,800
Betsy: $4,800
Lauren: $3,200
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BELLY UP TO THE ZANZIBAR (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
INVESTING (3/5)
A JOINT EFFORT (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT (4/5)
"GEO" PARTY (4/5)
I'M NO ACQUITTER (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lauren: 13 R, 0 W
Ivan: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Betsy: 1 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ivan snagged the next Daily Double on the 27th clue. Betsy had $3,200, Lauren had $12,400, and Ivan was at $15,200. Ivan wagered $3,000.

BELLY UP TO THE ZANZIBAR $1600: Many Zanzibar residents have Mideastern roots, practice Islam & call themselves Shirazi, after a city in this country

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Betsy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Betsy had $4,800, Lauren had $14,400, and Ivan was at $18,200. Betsy made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,800.

A JOINT EFFORT $2000: Glenohumeral is the medical name for this joint with greater range than any other in humans
(Betsy: What is the hip?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I'M NO ACQUITTER $1200: In 1883 Judge Isaac Parker sentenced this female outlaw & her husband Sam to the federal pen for horse stealing

I'M NO ACQUITTER $1600: When he was "the law west of the Pecos", he fined a corpse $40 for having a concealed weapon
(Betsy: Who is Wyatt Earp?)

I'M NO ACQUITTER $2000: "Hanging judge" Matthew Begbie dished out justice in this Canadian province back when New Westminster was the capital

"GEO" PARTY $800: For Nebraska, it's the 2-word term for a spot 10 miles northwest of the town of Broken Bow

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT $2000: This standup comic & "Ride Along" star said, "Lying ruined my marriage... that's a lie. I cheated"

INVESTING $1600: It's the "N" in NEC, Japan's first joint venture with foreign investment; today, you can invest in the company too

INVESTING $2000: The base interest rate, the minimum investors demand of a non-treasury security, also has this other "B" name

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ivan: $18,200
Lauren: $14,400
Betsy: $0

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POETS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Ivan: Wager $10,601 to cover Lauren.
Lauren: Risk between $3,801 and $6,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In an 1855 poem he wrote, "I guess it must be the flag of my disposition, out of hopeful green stuff woven"

FINAL SCORES
Lauren: $14,400 + $4,000 = $18,400 (Who is Walt Whitman?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ivan: $18,200 + $5,000 = $23,200 (Who is Walt Whitman?) (New champion: $23,200)
(Alex: [To Lauren] It's part of his collection Leaves of Grass.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ivan: $16,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Lauren: $15,800, 23 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Betsy: $4,800, 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $37,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Lauren: 24/59 = .407
Ivan: 19/59 = .322
Betsy: 8/59 = .136
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ANIMALS WITH BEASTLY NAMES $200: Some species of this creature with a mythic beast in its name can reach speeds of 30 miles per hour

KIDDY LIT $800: The Manning, South Carolina statue seen here represents this literal-minded housekeeper created by native Peggy Parish

TIME FOR A DRINK $1000: I see you have the traditional mug for it, so make me this, with lime juice, vodka and ginger beer

I'M NO QUITTER $600: This pitcher's ulnar injury was supposed to be career-ending, but a new type of surgery in 1974 changed that

ANIMALS WITH BEASTLY NAMES $600: This tree-dwelling carnivore of Asia combines ursine and feline creatures in its name

BELLY UP TO THE ZANZIBAR $400: The island of Zanzibar puts the second syllable in the name of this country

A JOINT EFFORT $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a joint on the monitor.) Often affecting the weight-bearing joints, like the knee, osteoarthritis is especially painful, as this rubbery tissue deteriorates, allowing bone to rub against bone

CORRECT RESPONSES
"Sleeping Beauty"
a Bloody Caesar
a lizard
Iran
the shoulder
Belle Starr
Judge Roy Bean
British Columbia
geographic center
Kevin Hart
Nippon
the benchmark
Walt Whitman
a dragonfly
Amelia Bedelia
a Moscow Mule
Tommy John
a cat-bear (or bear-cat)
Tanzania
cartilage
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POETS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In an 1855 poem he wrote, “I guess it must be the flag of my disposition, out of hopeful green stuff woven”

Betsy Knudson: ZERO
Lauren Cusitello: 14400+4000=18400
Ivan Plis: 18200+5000=23200 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Walt Whitman [Ivan added a drawing of what looked like leaves of grass with his response.]

Daily Doubles
Lauren: 2600-1400
Ivan: 15200+3000
Betsy: 4800-4800

Coryats
Betsy: 4800
Lauren: 15800
Ivan: 16800

Combined: 37,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Betsy: 4800
Lauren: 3200
Ivan: 6800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Don’t miss story #2 as it involves sex on the beach & a hooker.

Unfortunate clue of the day:

THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT $2000: This standup comic & “Ride Along” star said, “Lying ruined my marriage…that’s a lie. I cheated”

If anyone wants to make Ken Jennings comparisons after game one then it can start with Walt Whitman.

Ivan drew what looks like “leaves of grass” and Ken Jennings had his, courtesy of the light pen, “Whitzman.”
Spoiler

My solve of the clue had me doing a quick read of the quote and determining I did not recognize it. Instead of taking more time to spot a hint I went to the brainstorm game of POETS in 1855 that J! likes.

Thoreau was the first name that came to me. I looked at the quote again and did not like the match. Whitman came to me next and the “green” in the quote seemed like a connection to Leaves of Grass.

0/2 on Mondays this season and 8/8 on Tu-Fri clues for 80% the hard way.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

And the strange wagering continues.

But we did get a demonstration on the one situation in which a TDD may not be the wisest choice.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:19 pm Don’t miss story #2 as it involves sex on the beach & a hooker.

THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT $2000: This standup comic & “Ride Along” star said, “Lying ruined my marriage…that’s a lie. I cheated”
Perhaps I'm not following entertainment news as much, but how is the clue unfortunate?

The "unfortunate" clue for me (at least timing-wise) was the guinea pig one, as one of our pet guinea pigs passed today.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:19 pmIf anyone wants to make Ken Jennings comparisons after game one then it can start with Walt Whitman.

Ivan drew what looks like “leaves of grass” and Ken Jennings had his, courtesy of the light pen, “Whitzman.”
Nah, I had a Ken Jennings flashback earlier when Marion Jones came up as a correct response.

5/5 week! Go me!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:07 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Perhaps I'm not following entertainment news as much, but how is the clue unfortunate?

The "unfortunate" clue for me (at least timing-wise) was the guinea pig one, as one of our pet guinea pigs passed today.
Kevin Hart has been all over entertainment news this week because of a cheating scandal: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/art ... d6dc91f276

My sympathies to you and your family on the pet's passing.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Given the 2-person race, Ivan's "duck" wager of $5000 is perfectly rational if he thought that "Poets" would be a weak category for him (or for her). He seems like a clever enough guy -- anyone else buy that explanation?
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

acthomas wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 pm Given the 2-person race, Ivan's "duck" wager of $5000 is perfectly rational if he thought that "Poets" would be a weak category for him (or for her). He seems like a clever enough guy -- anyone else buy that explanation?
5000 could have still lost him the game on a double stumper if she had betted 0 so that was not a great bet by him.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

In ~15 minutes I finally get to go watch, for the first time, the episode in which Ivan becomes the incumbent champion I met at my taping in April.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TDD on the last clue when you're that far behind? That's a death-or-glory attack if I ever saw one. I would've wagered all but $1 just to pull a "Kebert Xela".

Kiddy Lit for $200 reminded me of a famous blooper. I got all but the DD there.

Can't say I've heard of a mimosa before. Or anything in that Omar category. Or Andre Agassi.

Ran the Animals category.

Lach Trash: lizard, geographic center

No guess on FJ! What was even the TOM?
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:38 pm But we did get a demonstration on the one situation in which a TDD may not be the wisest choice.
So what would have been a wiser choice? Assuming of course the contestant is attempting to win the game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:27 pm No guess on FJ! What was even the TOM?
Read the last part of Mark's post.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

PanthersFan1 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:57 pm
acthomas wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 pm Given the 2-person race, Ivan's "duck" wager of $5000 is perfectly rational if he thought that "Poets" would be a weak category for him (or for her). He seems like a clever enough guy -- anyone else buy that explanation?
5000 could have still lost him the game on a double stumper if she had betted 0 so that was not a great bet by him.
Historically in that trailing non-crush position, almost everyone has either bet to cover the zero wager or bet big. In fact I'd be astonished if more than 10% of people in that position bet zero.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:38 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:27 pm No guess on FJ! What was even the TOM?
Because that's the only thing that's ever been green, right?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Disappointed that the champ did not leave a dollar behind on her wager to stick around for FJ.
The green stuff, plus the year, led me to Walt Whitman.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:39 pm
Of course not, but you have the category, and a year. Really narrows things down nicely.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Andromus wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:39 pm
Of course not, but you have the category, and a year. Really narrows things down nicely.
[citation needed]
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The guinea pig clue made me think of my favorite quotes from the Eddie Murphy version of Dr. Doolittle.

Chris Rock, voicing the guinea pig, says "How come they call me a guinea pig? I'm not pork and I'm not Italian!"
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I went with Emerson. My wife came up with Whitman and I immediately realized that's what the clue was leading to, but I wasn't going to take credit for her work so I stuck with Emerson.