Wednesday, September 27, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7598, 2017-09-27

Austin Rogers game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Jennie Floyd, a retired management consultant from Tucson, Arizona
Pasha Paterson, a senior computer science researcher from Richmond, Virginia
Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $36,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. He's got hair; he's got chutzpah and broad-based knowledge. A bit of the showman in him, our champion Austin. Pasha and Jennie, do your best. Here we go. The categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
KILLER SHAKESPEARE (4/5)
COUNTRIES WITH ONLY A's AS VOWELS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
A NUMBER OF GROUPS (5/5)
AN IVY LEAGUE EDUCATION (4/5)
WEIGHTS & MEASURES (4/4)
THE SIMPLER 4-LETTER SYNONYM (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jennie: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Pasha: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Austin: $3,200
Jennie: $2,600
Pasha: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jennie Floyd is from Tucson, Arizona, who started, at age 42, a second career as an actress.

Jennie: I did, yes.

Alex: Why?

Jennie: I had an accident on my job, and I wasn't able to continue as a consultant. And I had a lot of time on my hands. I was really bored. So I took a class in musical theater. And my teacher said, "You're a natural, and you should go an audition." And I said, "I'm too old to be an actress."

Alex: No, you're never too old.

Jennie: And he said, "You're never too old."

Alex: Absolutely right.

Jennie: And I got a part at my first audition, and I've pretty much acted for 15 years straight. And I just retired and moved to Tucson.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Pasha Paterson from Richmond, Virginia. Works on turning information into action. Like what are we talking about?

Pasha: So far, we've assisted with the logistical support for the response to the Ebola outbreak in west Africa. We've helped rebuild infrastructure in Afghanistan. We've participated in apprehending human traffickers here in the United States.

Alex: Hey, you're doing a lot of good things.

Pasha: Yeah, it's not your typical professional geekery, so it's pretty cool.

Alex: Okay. All right, way to go.

Alex: Austin Rogers, bartender. Our champion. I had a friend years ago who drove what used to be a checkered cab. You had a car that used to be a London taxi?

Austin: Yeah, it was a London taxi. It was actually for a marketing campaign in New York. And it was a 1978 Austin. I'm a 1978 Austin. And it was right-hand drive. So I'd pull up next to other taxi drivers, leaning out this window. They'd pull up next to me. They'd say, "Buddy, I want your job. Wait a second, is that stick shift?" I'd be like, "Yeah, it's stick shift." They'd say, "I don't want your job."

Alex: Not only is it stick shift, but stick shift with your left hand.

Austin: Ah, it's the same. It's--gear pattern's the same.

Alex: Yeah. Thank you very much, but my left hand doesn't work the same as my right hand.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Austin found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Austin had $4,600, Pasha had $400, and Jennie was at $2,600. Austin made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,600.

COUNTRIES WITH ONLY A's AS VOWELS $800: The 2 that touch both the Atlantic Ocean & the Pacific Ocean
(Austin: What is Panama and... I give up.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AN IVY LEAGUE EDUCATION $800: You may seek "Forgiveness" & "Elementary Syriac" at its noted divinity school
(Austin: What is Yale Divinity School?)

KILLER SHAKESPEARE $800: The death of the Greek warrior Patroclus at the hands of Hector in this play spurs Achilles to resume fighting

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jennie: $4,000
Pasha: $2,800
Austin: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEW TO THE OED (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV PRIVATE DETECTIVES (5/5)
I AM BIG! (5/5)
IT'S THE PICTURES THAT GOT SMALL (4/5)
READY FOR MY CLOSE-UP (4/5)
SUNSET, BOLÍVAR (2/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Pasha: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Jennie: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Pasha snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Austin had $8,200, Pasha had $7,600, and Jennie was at $6,400. Pasha wagered $2,500.

NEW TO THE OED $1600: This acronym used for the U.S. Armed Forces' 5 levels of alert

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Austin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Austin had $10,200, Pasha had $11,700, and Jennie was at $7,200. Austin wagered $5,700.

SUNSET, BOLÍVAR $1600: Bolívar's will left to the University of Caracas 2 books that had once belonged to this European leader
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IT'S THE PICTURES THAT GOT SMALL $1200: Barbie's 2-story home called the "Hello" this residence has a framed picture of a bicycle on the wall

NEW TO THE OED $2000: This noun for a small telescope attached to a larger one for help in locating objects

SUNSET, BOLÍVAR $400: Simón Bolívar's last doctor respectfully referred to his dying patient by this nickname

READY FOR MY CLOSE-UP $1200: The section of a fingerprint seen here shares this name with a section of a river
(Pasha: What is a confluence?)
(Jennie: What is a whorl?)
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Austin: $15,900
Pasha: $11,700
Jennie: $7,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN WOMEN

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Austin: Wager $7,501 to cover Pasha.
Pasha: You need to wager $2,701 to cover Jennie's doubled score, but no more than $3,300 if you want to top Austin on a Triple Stumper.
Jennie: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $1,200), you might try betting $4,501, playing for a win if Pasha tries to two-thirds Austin (though, from this position, a wager of all $7,200 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Pasha to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A collection of her writings includes letters to her famous husband & articles like "Eulogy on the Flapper"

FINAL SCORES
Jennie: $7,200 - $7,200 = $0 (Who is Anne Morrow Lindbergh?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Pasha: $11,700 - $5,050 = $6,650 (Who was Roosevelt) (2nd place: $2,000)
Austin: $15,900 + $8,000 = $23,900 (Who was Zelda Fitzgerald) (2-day champion: $59,900)
(Alex: [To Austin] Married to F. Scott.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Austin: $16,400, 25 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Pasha: $10,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Jennie: $7,200, 9 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $34,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Austin: 26/60 = .433
Pasha: 16/59 = .271
Jennie: 9/58 = .155
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AN IVY LEAGUE EDUCATION $600: If an "Intro to Theoretical Neuroscience" is needed, this U. on 116th St. would be happy to arrange a meeting
(Pasha: What is NYU?)

COUNTRIES WITH ONLY A's AS VOWELS $400: From 1994 to 2015 the U.N. operated an international criminal tribunal for this country's genocide
(Pasha: What is Armenia?)

COUNTRIES WITH ONLY A's AS VOWELS $1000: The ninth-largest nation in area, historically, it's been part of different empires

WEIGHTS & MEASURES $400: In Europe a 200-pound man also weighs 90.7 of these units
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

THE SIMPLER 4-LETTER SYNONYM $600: Bogus or counterfeit
(Jennie: [*]. ...Uh--)
(Alex: Remember your--)
(Jennie: What is [*]?)

WEIGHTS & MEASURES $800: In the U.S. this measurement for fabric is usually 40 yards
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

I AM BIG! $400: Seen here, the giant this earns its name by growing to 45 feet in length and tipping the scales at 600 pounds

IT'S THE PICTURES THAT GOT SMALL $400: Here's Robert Hooke's 1665 depiction of cork that he looked at using one of these

IT'S THE PICTURES THAT GOT SMALL $800: It's a small dramatic scene, an engraved gem or a little part by a big actor
(Pasha: What is a bit?)

I AM BIG! $1600: With a wingspan of almost 40 feet, the largest creature to ever fly was the Quetzalcoatlus, a type of this "winged lizard"
(Pasha: What a pterodactyl?)

TV PRIVATE DETECTIVES $2000: In 2016 Samuel Barnett opened a "Holistic Detective Agency" as this eccentric character
(Austin: Who is Dirk Bently?)

READY FOR MY CLOSE-UP $1600: The specs of your computer include the gigahertz speed of this part

READY FOR MY CLOSE-UP $2000: This member of the rose family is ready for its close-up and to be made into jam

READY FOR MY CLOSE-UP $800: When tightening the fastener seen here, be careful not to strip these

READY FOR MY CLOSE-UP $400: Look quickly; this animal's close-up might need to be taken at 70 miles per hour

CORRECT RESPONSES
Panama and Canada
Harvard
Troilus and Cressida
DEFCON
Napoleon Bonaparte
the Hello Dreamhouse
a finderscope
the Liberator
a delta
Zelda Fitzgerald
Columbia
Rwanda
Kazakhstan
kilograms
fake
a bolt
a squid
a microscope
a cameo
a pterosaur
Dirk Gently
the processor
strawberry
threads
a cheetah
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN WOMEN

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A collection of her writings includes letters to her famous husband & articles like “Eulogy on the Flapper”

Austin Rogers: 15900+8000=23900 (2x = $59,900)
Pasha Paterson: 11700-5050=6650
Jennie Floyd: 7200-7200=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Zelda Fitzgerald (Pasha – Roosevelt) (Jennie – Anne Morrow Lindberg)

Daily Doubles
Austin: 4600-4600
Pasha: 7600+2500
Austin: 10200+5700

Coryats
Austin: 16400
Pasha: 10800
Jennie: 7200

Combined: 34,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Austin: 1800
Pasha: 2800
Jennie: 4000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Pasha: Well done with a good showing, five-figure Coryat and making Austin have to show up for the FJ! round. A bigger bet on your DD and all it ends up doing is putting more $ in Austin’s wallet.

Thanks to Jennie’s all in wager you got the second place prize. If you get the FJ! clue right it’s the same. If you found DD3 would you have got it right and coupled that with enough to lock the match?

It was a fun match to watch and it looked like you were very relaxed while enjoying the experience. Congrats on getting your chance to play.

I can’t say I’ve seen any of Jennie’s work while good for her for having a long list of credits: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1979417/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

DD3 turned out to be the end of the DJ! round with $1200 & $2000 left unplayed.
Austin: 10200
Pasha: 11700

Austin went for 5700 and got it right. That’s a lot more than many would bet in that situation. Should he have bet more? Less? SIMON BOLIVAR $1600 box matter?

For the FJ! round I wrote the correct response when the clue appeared and put my pen down. The only names I had to swat away during the music were Daisy Buchanan (She’s fictional.) and Dorothy Parker (Famous husband?).

Good get by Austin for the sole solve while I think his pull on DD3 was more impressive as a miss there and he’s very likely done after one.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

What happened to Slam's rule? -- it has become more of a misrule.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:38 pm Pasha: Well done with a good showing, five-figure Coryat and making Austin have to show up for the FJ! round. A bigger bet on your DD and all it ends up doing is putting more $ in Austin’s wallet.
I've spent five months regretting that wager. I had even told one of my friends before I went to the taping, "If any kind of language/wordplay category comes up, and I get a Daily Double, I'm going all-in." To tell the absolute truth, I looked at the clues remaining, and looked at myself standing between Ms. Really Good, and Mr. Scary Good, and choked. If I have one regret from that game, it's that wager.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:38 pm If you found DD3 would you have got it right and coupled that with enough to lock the match?
I don't remember the final DD but I do remember being frustrated I didn't find it, so… maybe? haha
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:38 pm It was a fun match to watch and it looked like you were very relaxed while enjoying the experience. Congrats on getting your chance to play.
It was achingly addictive, and yes, I felt like I could have stood there for 10 more games, which made it all the more frustrating that I didn't win it. On the other hand, like me, Austin loves playing the game, and I think the two of us really spurred each other on. If I had to lose, I didn't mind losing to someone that good, and that fun to play against.

Going into FJ! I was not confident at all about the category (for, as it turned out, obvious reasons) and I found myself in what felt like the absolute worst wagering position possible. Here, too, I chickened out and played for second, mostly because if I fell to third I'd be losing about $600 on the trip to LA, and Papa's got bills to pay. It sounds trite and terrible and maybe even a little stupid but all that and more was going through my head at the time.

Note to future contestants: Don't hold the light pen like a pen. I got so flustered with the stupid thing, I almost reached for the emergency index card. Hold the pen vertically if this ever happens to you.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

theFJguy wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:37 pm Coryats
Austin: 16400
Pasha: 10800
I'm pretty darned pleased with that, TBH. None of those categories were "good" for me, except the new dictionary words one where I found the DD. Obviously I did not study my Ivy League school list. :roll:

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Still two and a half hours until I get to watch this game locally. :lol:

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I just realized how brilliant Austin's bet was on that final Daily Double.

10200 - 5700 = 4500, which is exactly the difference between Pasha's and Jennie's scores.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 pm What happened to Slam's rule? -- it has become more of a misrule.
Pasha joined and posted in 2012. He's nowhere near new around here: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1 ... 947#p41947

Slam's Rule is for someone joining and posting for the first time after they taped their appearance(s) and before the game(s) air.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:12 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 pm What happened to Slam's rule? -- it has become more of a misrule.
Pasha joined and posted in 2012. He's nowhere near new around here: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1 ... 947#p41947

Slam's Rule is for someone joining and posting for the first time after they taped their appearance(s) and before the game(s) air.
OK..I just haven't seen him around. Anyways, I was 100% convinced that he will win today.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Hey, Man-in-the-Middle! Congratulations on an excellent game and a great sense of humor throughout. We'll just blame the outcome on the Dalai Lama.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Anyone else answer the WEIGHTS & MEASURES clue with "What's a cubit?" :)

Liked the "I'm a 1978 Austin ... " during the interviews.

The strawberry was overvalued at $2000.

I first considered E. B. Browning, since she had a famous husband, but realized she wasn't American. Then Dorothy Parker (right timeframe, right country), but I'm pretty sure she wasn't married (at least not to someone famous). Then finally about 20 seconds in, Zelda came to me. Didn't know she was really famous in her own right (nor that she was a writer), but she was famous enough that I had heard of her, so I figured it was a reasonable guess. Pleased that I got it.

Tough luck, zerobandwidth, but I'm positive you had fun! At we can now share Eleanor Roosevelt as our trivia nemesis! (I gave her that title when she was an answer on the Jeopardy test a few years ago, and I could only think of her at the last second, getting "Elea" before time ran out. I got 34 that year and no Email. I'll blame Mrs. Roosevelt for it. :) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

First instinct was Zelda, thought it was too obscure then went with Eleanor. Oh, well.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I went with Priscilla Presley for FJ! because I totally misread the clue, but it's my favorite way to get an answer wrong, at least! Kinda' a shame neither of the other wrong contestants made my mistake :lol:.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Pasha started bouncing a bit in the first round but kept going to the top of the board where there are no DD's 99.9% of the time.

Nice to see the TDD from the champ, very narrow category with plenty of time to answer.

Pasha seemed very unsure what to do on the DJ DD and ended up wagering a round number whereas Austin knew exactly what he was doing with his.

In FJ Austin and Jenny wagered correctly, Pasha should have wagered between $2701-$3300. His actual wager can't win on a WWW scenario so might as well wager everything.

I did enjoy Pasha's attitude, he was enjoying himself.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I have read The Great Gatsby and could have told you the first name of the author's wife, but I never in a million years would have made a connection to Fitzgerald from this FJ clue. I guessed Sylvia Plath.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $23,400
DDs: 3/3
FJ!: :( (WAD: Mary Shelley. Upon further investigation, she was neither American nor did she live in the correct time period.)

REALLY surprised Austin got the more difficult of the two countries on the DD.

I was in Richard Rodgers' & Hammerstein's TWO BY TWO a year and a half ago, which is about the story of Noah and the Ark. One of my lines was "Cubits? Nobody talks in cubits anymore!" Of course I got that one.

Ran Close-Up.

Pasha, you played a great game! Sorry that you missed FJ! and Austin got it. :D
Last edited by NoWhammies10 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

'Grats on a great game, Pasha, playing tough against an opponent who looks like he could be here a while. You were a pleasure to watch, and I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your experience.

Flapper did lead me in the right direction to the 20s for FJ, but the best I could muster was Eleanor Roosevelt. Ah well.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Shakespeare (3), Countries- Vowels A (3), Groups (4), Ivy (3), Weights (2), Simpler (1)
OED (1), TV (4), Big (3), Small (1), Close-Up (2), Bolivar (3)

Lach Trash: The Liberator

The "letters" portion made me think of Abigail Adams, but then "flapper" lead me to Zelda Fitzgerald.