Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7600, 2017-09-29

Austin Rogers game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Jim Bickford, an attorney from Aurora, Colorado
Colin O’Bannon, a pool room owner from Columbus, Ohio
Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York (whose 3-day cash winnings total $96,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to our program. Austin, as you can tell, is a lot of fun as our champion. Colin and Jim, welcome and good luck to all three of you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Pay attention to these categories, if you will.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SCIENCE FICTION (3/5)
WORLD LEADERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TRANSPORTATION (5/5)
ROCK & ROLL! (5/5)
"MENTAL" ADJECTIVES (2/3)
WHERE ARE YOU WEARING? (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Jim: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Colin: 2 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Austin: $4,200
Colin: $1,600
Jim: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Our three contestants on the program today are well-traveled individuals. Jim Bickford is from Aurora, Colorado and had an interesting encounter with a wild animal in one of our famous parks.

Jim: I did. I was hiking with my wife, Kelly, just after the bar exam, and we were blowing off some steam. And we came around a corner of a remote trail at Grand Teton National Park, and a grizzly bear just started roaring at us. He never charged us or inflicted any damage, but afterwards, we were pretty frazzled and we had a good time at the bar.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Colin O'Bannon. Pool room owner from Columbus, Ohio.

Colin: Yes, sir.

Alex: You've done some traveling. Been to Afghanistan.

Colin: Yes.

Alex: In the military?

Colin: No. When I was nine years old, I went to Afghanistan with my father and my older brother. And one of the things we got to do, we traveled around the whole country. And we got to--while my father sat in a rug shop, he had us go up to the top of the Buddhas in the Bamiyan Valley, which have subsequently been blown up by the Taliban.

Alex: Right.

Colin: It's not somewhere you can visit anymore.

Alex: And all this took place before all of the conflicts.

Colin: This was in 1974, yeah.

Alex: Yeah, before the conflict.

Colin: Yep.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Austin Rogers is our champion. He's a bartender who has done some traveling. In fact, he grew up on a nature reserve.

Austin: Yeah, I grew up on the Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in Westchester County, New York. About an hour north of the city. And it's about a 5,000 acre nature preserve. And if I walked out my back door and turned north, I wouldn't reach another house for six miles. My dad was the ranger there; I taught rock climbing and nature camp there. And--

Alex: And did you have any encounter with a wild animal such as he did?

Austin: Usually drunk kids from John Jay High School.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. They can be pretty wild.

Austin: Didn't like John Jay. Boo.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Austin found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Austin had $6,200, Colin had $600, and Jim was at $3,000. Austin wagered $4,200.

WORLD LEADERS $800: Also MP for Wentworth, Malcolm Turnbull is PM of this, one of the world's 10 largest countries in area

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHERE ARE YOU WEARING? $1000: Dotted patterns are common on the fabric known as this muslin

SCIENCE FICTION $1000: She wrote "The Mists of Avalon" as well as the "Darkover" books about telepathic humans on another planet
(Colin: Who is Andrews?)

SCIENCE FICTION $600: In this William Gibson novel, the title Mona gets involved with a corporation called Sense/Net
(Austin: What is Neuromancer?)
(Alex: We have less than a minute now.)

"MENTAL" ADJECTIVES $1000: Changing gradually through a series of steps

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Austin: $10,800
Jim: $3,200
Colin: $600
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY (5/5)
THE RENAISSANCE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THAT'S MY JOB! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NATIONAL SPELLING BEE WINNING WORDS (3/4) (Alex: And you have to spell the correct response.)
ASIAN BODIES OF WATER (4/5)
THE "KID" STAYS IN THE PICTURE (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Colin: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Jim: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Colin snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Austin had $10,800, Colin had $1,000, and Jim was at $3,200. Colin wagered $2,000.

THE RENAISSANCE $800: After 1516 this royal family had 2 branches: a Spanish line & an Austrian line

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Austin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Austin had $14,400, Colin had $5,800, and Jim was at $3,600. Austin wagered $7,400.

THAT'S MY JOB! $2000: Flueologist

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE RENAISSANCE $1200: In the painting of five Renaissance masters, Uccello is to the left of this artist, whose name rhymes with his

ASIAN BODIES OF WATER $2000: In the southeast corner of Iraq, this main port of the country is on a waterway called the Shatt Al-Arab
(Jim: What is Mosul?)

THE "KID" STAYS IN THE PICTURE $2000: Ben Stiller gets married but then meets the girl of his dreams in this 2007 remake

NATIONAL SPELLING BEE WINNING WORDS $800: In 1948 the winning word was this medical branch that deals with the treatment & prevention of mental illness
(Colin: What is P-S-Y-C-H-O-L-O-G-Y?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Austin: $25,000 (lock game)
Colin: $11,400
Jim: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY PEOPLE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Austin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Colin: Wager $601 to cover Jim.
Jim: You have the hope of surpassing Colin for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $4,800 and $5,998.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On June 28, 1838 an archbishop jammed a ring made for her little finger onto her 4th; she had to soak it in ice water to get it off

FINAL SCORES
Jim: $6,000 + $5,483 = $11,483 (Who is Queen Victoria?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Colin: $11,400 - $1,400 = $10,000 (Who is Bernadette?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Austin: $25,000 + $2,000 = $27,000 (Who was Queen Victoria) (4-day champion: $123,100)
(Alex: [To Jim] At her coronation.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Austin: $16,200, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Colin: $10,200, 11 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Jim: $6,000, 12 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $32,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Austin: 26/60 = .433
Jim: 13/58 = .224
Colin: 11/59 = .186
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TRANSPORTATION $200: The U.S.A.'s oldest continuously operating service of this kind has crossed the Connecticut River since 1665

TRANSPORTATION $600: This adjective for less-than-full-size cars later got preceded by "sub" and today, sometimes even by "micro"

TRANSPORTATION $800: This numerical NYC avenue's subway line opened in 2017 with stops at East 72nd, 86th & 96th Streets
(Austin: What is the Q?)

TRANSPORTATION $1000: Jets power propellers in this kind of plane, hence the "prop" at the end

ROCK & ROLL! $800: Featured in the movie "Easy Rider", this song was Steppenwolf's first Top 40 hit

WORLD LEADERS $200: First name of the man who became Cuba's head of state in 2008
(Austin: What is Ramón?)

ROCK & ROLL! $600: In 1977 this band topped the charts singing, "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"
(Austin: [Unhappily] Who are [*]?)
(Alex: Yes.)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: [To Austin] You don't like [*]?)
[Austin shakes his head no.]

ASIAN BODIES OF WATER $1600: In 2010 China gained direct access to this sea for the first time in 100 years when it leased a pier in N. Korea's Rajin port
(Colin: What is the Bering Sea?)

THAT'S MY JOB! $1200: Collier
(Jim: What is a shirt maker?)

AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY $800: (Alex presents the clue from the National Museum of African American History and Culture.) The powder horn belonged to one of 10,000 African-Americans who fought at battles like Monmouth in this war; to them, liberty was not just an abstract concept, but something they personally craved and hoped would be granted by the winning side, and in some cases, it was
(Colin: What is the Civil War?)

NATIONAL SPELLING BEE WINNING WORDS $1200: In 1981 Paige Pipkin buried the competition with this word for an ancient stone coffin
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: This NYC venue where Ella Fitzgerald was discovered opened in 1914 as Hurtig & Seamon's New Burlesque Theater
(Austin: What is the Cotton Club?)

NATIONAL SPELLING BEE WINNING WORDS $1600: No yolk, 1928's winning word was this white part of an egg
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Australia
Swiss muslin
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Mona Lisa Overdrive
incremental
the Habsburgs
a chimney sweep
Donatello
Basra
The Heartbreak Kid
P-S-Y-C-H-I-A-T-R-Y
Queen Victoria
a ferry
compact
2nd Avenue
a turboprop
"Born To Be Wild"
Raúl
The Eagles
the Sea of Japan
a coal miner
the American Revolution
S-A-R-C-O-P-H-A-G-U-S
the Apollo
A-L-B-U-M-E-N
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY PEOPLE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On June 28, 1838 an archbishop jammed a ring made for her little finger onto her 4th; she had to soak it in ice water to get it off

Austin Rogers: 25,000+2000=27000 (4x = $123,100)
Colin O’Bannon: 11400-1400=10000
Jim Bickford: 6000+5483=11483

Correct response:
Spoiler
Queen Victoria (Colin – Bernadette)

Daily Doubles
Austin: 6200+4200
Colin: 1000+2000
Austin: 14400+7400

Coryats
Austin: 16200
Colin: 10200
Jim: 6000

Combined: 32,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Austin: 10800
Colin: 600
Jim: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Austin is 4/4 on FJ! clues and 7/8 on DDs. He is Lock+1st+Lock+Lock for going into the FJ! round. His Coryat average is 16,350.

Even if Austin had missed DD3 he would have won the game from 2nd place with 10200 since Colin did not solve the clue. Austin has played 2 out of 3 Daily Doubles in each game. I look forward to seeing what happens when he plays all three or none.

It’s been a fun week of games to watch as Austin makes the show better by being so different than the typical contestant. After a night’s sleep between his taping sessions we’ll see if Austin plays with the same style or changes anything.

Even if I had not read a review of Judi Dench’s movie Victoria & Abdul minutes before watching the game I am sure the clue would still have been a solve. When I see 1838 the first person I think of is QV.

Colin cost himself $1,000 by not getting it. That’s a fair penalty while if it had cost him the match that would have been tougher for him to get over.

For those ready to eliminate Tim Kutz from TOC consideration here are things to consider and I don’t know the answers:

Was the cut-off for qualifying for the TOC the end of Season 33 or these games that air prior to November 6 count as well?
Were all of the 15 players ahead of Tim able to compete? Life happens and sometimes a TOC contestant does not end up playing.
Could Austin keep winning past November 3rd?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

That was an interesting guess by Colin on FJ. I guess the "archbishop" part took him down the wrong path and the years don't match up, but somewhat in the same ballpark, I guess. And while having an archbishop put a ring on a monarch's finger seems a little odd, and it's certainly an esoteric bit of history, this FJ is a good example of WECIB.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:21 pm That was an interesting guess by Colin on FJ. I guess the "archbishop" part took him down the wrong path and the years don't match up, but somewhat in the same ballpark, I guess. And while having an archbishop put a ring on a monarch's finger seems a little odd, and it's certainly an esoteric bit of history, this FJ is a good example of WECIB.
I guess it is part of the coronation since she was head of the Church of England. But it was a pretty simple get.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ based on the year. Queen Victoria seemed kind of obvious, but I had no other guesses.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I hope to one day visit the country of French.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

That Geico plug at the end of the show was bad. It's obvious the word "Geico" was spliced in there. I'm not sure why they didn't just have Johnny reread the whole sentence instead of inserting one mismatched word into the plug.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Can't say I've heard of "Martian Chronicles" or Lucrezia Borgia, despite the very Hawley-Smoot-esque name.

Surprisingly, only 2/5 in Rock & Roll. And what's wrong with the Eagles?

For the millionth time I blank on Montgomery. Why is it I can remember every big city in Alabama except that?

After "psychology" was negged, I was stumped. Derp.

Admittedly an interesting bit of trivia, but I saw no TOM on this one at all.
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

Austin is the man!!!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I was about to ask what the heck the 2nd Ave Subway Line was. Why would anyone outside of NY know that, though?
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Oh that's why Colin was so frustrated. Jim's steal on "albumen" kept the game a lock. Had Colin hit it, he would have had $13k under Austin's $25k and could have bet for the win. I don't think I caught that watching it live. Didn't matter anyway, since Colin missed FJ!, but still interesting.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:36 pm Can't say I've heard of "Martian Chronicles"
If you're a fan of sci-fi at all, put it on your list. It's a good read, and it's a short story anthology, so you can get through it in manageable chunks.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:48 pm I was about to ask what the heck the 2nd Ave Subway Line was. Why would anyone outside of NY know that, though?
I said 5th since that is the most famous numerical avenue I know.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:48 pm I was about to ask what the heck the 2nd Ave Subway Line was. Why would anyone outside of NY know that, though?

Colin got it, and he was introduced as being from Columbus, Ohio. Poll request to MarkBarrett on this one, though, since I do think it will poll pretty low among non-NY folk.

The misnamed 2nd Avenue Subway "line" consists for now of 3 stations that took over 10 years, and cost beaucoup bucks, to build. That was just phase one. For now, the Q train, which already existed, runs along those 3 stops (all on 2nd Ave.), then links up with pre-existing stations to cross over to Manhattan's west side. Eventually a train called the T is supposed to run straight down the east side via the 2nd Avenue Line to lower Manhattan, but that "eventually" is decades away. It was a big deal when the project was started because a line running down 2nd Avenue had been talked about since the mid-20th century, as there had been only one line serving the east side (resulting in cars on that line being perpetually sardine-can-like), and that sole east side line ran under Lexington Avenue, which is less convenient for people like me who live a couple or more blocks east of Lex.

I was surprised at Austin's RTFQ error on that clue, which cost him easy money in what should have been a wheelhouse clue for him. Less surprising were all his other negs, which just seem to be a part of his game, and one which he's able to overcome with his many strengths. Partly due to those negs, his Coryats remain pedestrian for a superchamp (as I believe Austin is destined to become), and as much as I would like to see Tim Kutz in the TOC, I don't think Austin will be able to sustain his run through Nov. 3. I still think he'll win at least 13 games, though.

Surprised no one rang in for the rebound on "psychiatry" after one of the players negged with "psychology."

Instaget FJ for me (like others, I got it off the year), concluding another 4-1 week. After starting the season 0-3, I'm now 10-5 on FJ's.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Needed to read it through a couple of times, but got there on Final nevertheless. Not sure of any other possibilities, truthfully.

I figured out DD2 in DJ immediately (saw flue and had it) and was yelling at the TV hoping Austin would figure it out. Wasn't let down. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him this week as these types of contestants, the ones who are good and have personality, make the show so much fun to watch. I'm really looking forward to Monday.

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:57 pm For those ready to eliminate Tim Kutz from TOC consideration here are things to consider and I don’t know the answers:

Was the cut-off for qualifying for the TOC the end of Season 33 or these games that air prior to November 6 count as well?
Were all of the 15 players ahead of Tim able to compete? Life happens and sometimes a TOC contestant does not end up playing.
Could Austin keep winning past November 3rd?
I also doubt Austin wins through November 3, but anything is possible.

Judging by the J! site's interview with Sam and Lilly earlier this week, it seems as if both our college champs made it to the ToC, and I saw something on the reddit subforum that was essentially a pep rally for Jason Sterlacci before taping. Unless something happened that we don't know about, I'd venture that everyone made it out just fine. On a related note, has a regular play champ ever deferred their ToC invitation? I am familiar with the Barbara Lowe ordeal and we all know about Jerry Slowik and Cindy Stowell.. unsure if any less-shady/tragic scenarios exist.

Fingers crossed that cut-off day was the end of Season 33.. it'd be a huge shame if Tim gets bumped, being one of my favorites of the last couple years, having already had to wait almost two years and when we consider he's better than most of the field. I could absolutely see why the producers would want to extend the qualifying period to try and find another eccentric champion (i.e. Austin) to add some extra excitement into this tourney, though.

On the other side of this debate, having Austin wait until the Season 35/36 ToC means there is already a viral (I guess) contestant who the producers can spend a lot of time promoting. One year after winning x games and x$, polarizing champion Austin Rogers returns. Coming up on the next Jeopardy ToC. Or something like that.
Last edited by threearruda on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:18 pm
I said 5th since that is the most famous numerical avenue I know.
That's what I guessed, too. I know that 5th is the line between E and W and I forgot exactly which Ave the 4/5/6 ran along (it's 4th), which I had too far east.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:19 pmSurprised no one rang in for the rebound on "psychiatry" after one of the players negged with "psychology."
Might've been unsure whether psychology was wrong, or if psychology was right, but misspelled.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I don't remember which clue it was, but did anyone else catch the scoring glitch on one of Austin's negs? His score went up by the clue amount, then back down to his original score and then down by the clue amount, all in the span of a second or so. I barely had time to get "Hey, they..." out of my mouth before it was corrected. He was somewhere around 26k at the time so it was late in the game.