Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 pm
Location: Calvert, Maryland

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Instaget. Read both the recent books AND watched the PBS! :lol:

Image
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

MasterCone
Valued Contributor
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MasterCone » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:04 pm

This was one of the greatest episodes of all time for me. I've been on the fence as to whether I like Austin or not, and then I find out in his interview that he must have grown up just down the street from me. I grew up right on the Pound Ridge, NY line in the next town over and went to the school he dissed (John Jay) for middle school, though I then went to private high school. Got a huge laugh out of this since I believe he is also the same age as I am and the "drunk JJHS kids" he was talking about would have been my classmates. Then he had to go and say he hates my favorite band. :evil: Definitely have a major love/hate with this guy.

User avatar
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mcsheffrey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:37 pm

I read through FJ once and thought I'd have trouble even coming up with a guess. On a second read though I connected archbishop with Victoria and it all made sense.

Regarding the 2nd Ave subway, it's a project that's been talked about for decades and something finally being built was briefly making national news. I knew it right away and also realized Austin's mistake as soon as he spoke. I was seriously impressed with how quickly he was coming up with the "mental" adjectives but then surprised that nobody buzzed in for "incremental" which didn't seem any more difficult than the other clues.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5276
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:35 pm

I think Austin Rogers is Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski's younger brother.

https://youtu.be/-JlmvtAHhnc

(WARNING: NSFW language. Also, Eagles music.)

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 1970
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hbomb1947 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:44 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:35 pm
I think Austin Rogers is Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski's younger brother.

https://youtu.be/-JlmvtAHhnc

(WARNING: NSFW language. Also, Eagles music.)
The one thought I had at the end of that segment was: life was rough before Uber.

alan tiger
Valued Contributor
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:24 pm

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alan tiger » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:02 pm

for 35 years, i lived about 15 yards away from the entrances to the #1 local subway, part of the IRT 7th avenue line. i'd take that downtown to chambers street, and transfer to the #2 or #3 express, and then three stops to wall street.
the 7th avenue line was opened in 1904.

User avatar
mikebdoss
Valued Contributor
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mikebdoss » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:30 pm

The dis on The Eagles reminded me of this story in Billboard last year. I had no idea people hated them en masse (which might be because I'm from California). http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... glenn-frey

User avatar
zerobandwidth
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zerobandwidth » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:20 am

mikebdoss wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:30 pm
The dis on The Eagles reminded me of this story in Billboard last year. I had no idea people hated them en masse (which might be because I'm from California). http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... glenn-frey
To be fair, didn't the Eagles themselves spend something like a decade hating each other?
Battle of the Brains (VA) contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13 player 2, aired 27 September 2017 (Austin Rogers fodder #3)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest

User avatar
badgerfellow
One and Done
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by badgerfellow » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:06 am

Instaget FJ. This was one of those where it's easier if you don't overcomplicate it.

Fun fact: Paige Pipkin, now named Paige Kimble, is the current director of the National Spelling Bee. Took 2nd the prior year of her win after misspelling "glitch," giving now pronouncer Jacques Bailly the win.

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:34 am

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by chmmr » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:08 am

zerobandwidth wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:56 pm
Oh that's why Colin was so frustrated. Jim's steal on "albumen" kept the game a lock. Had Colin hit it, he would have had $13k under Austin's $25k and could have bet for the win. I don't think I caught that watching it live. Didn't matter anyway, since Colin missed FJ!, but still interesting.
I was frustrated watching at home. Colin was really on fire near the end. Would have loved to see him come in contention.
Too bad Austin is an FJ machine :p

lincoln23
Contributor
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by lincoln23 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 am

econgator wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:32 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:18 pm
econgator wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:48 pm
I was about to ask what the heck the 2nd Ave Subway Line was. Why would anyone outside of NY know that, though?
I said 5th since that is the most famous numerical avenue I know.
That's what I guessed, too. I know that 5th is the line between E and W and I forgot exactly which Ave the 4/5/6 ran along (it's 4th), which I had too far east.
This made me wonder if Lexington Avenue (as the 4/5/6 is the Lexington Avenue subway) really used to be Fourth Avenue. Turns out that Fourth Avenue actually turned into Park Avenue, which makes sense as Park is midway between Third and Fifth, with Lexington and Madison on either side.

Just to make things a little more confusing, though, the Lex Ave subway does have a few stops on Park Avenue South (formerly Fourth Avenue) below Grand Central, and even a stop on the stretch of Fourth Avenue that still exists between 8th and 14th streets. (Not sure if I ever knew there was still some Fourth Avenue around.)

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5817
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:52 am

Can we poll the avenue clue? That seems very obscure, given the debate on it.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Wheatley » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:30 am

Is it just me or is Austin slow-rolling as a strategy?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:07 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:21 pm
That was an interesting guess by Colin on FJ. I guess the "archbishop" part took him down the wrong path and the years don't match up, but somewhat in the same ballpark, I guess. And while having an archbishop put a ring on a monarch's finger seems a little odd, and it's certainly an esoteric bit of history, this FJ is a good example of WECIB.
To me this is an excellent example of "if you start to solve FJ going down a wrong path, it's really hard to get onto the right one in time."

This was true for Colin and for me as well. I saw "archbishop" and went looking for a religious figure, not a monarch. In my case it led me to Mother Seton, who (who knows?) might have been given a ring by a prelate, if only she hadn't died 17 years before the date in this clue.

Oh well, too sad for me to go "only" 4-for-5 in FJ this week, and good for the champ, who looks possibly good for a long run.


The lineup of contestants for this show made me think it could be the start of a joke: A bartender, a pool hall owner, and a lawyer walk into the Jeopardy! studio....

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:17 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:30 pm
The dis on The Eagles reminded me of this story in Billboard last year. I had no idea people hated them en masse (which might be because I'm from California). http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... glenn-frey
I still don't think the Eagles and Nickleback are on the same level despite both being famous for lots of people hating them.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:25 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:58 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:21 pm
That was an interesting guess by Colin on FJ. I guess the "archbishop" part took him down the wrong path and the years don't match up, but somewhat in the same ballpark, I guess. And while having an archbishop put a ring on a monarch's finger seems a little odd, and it's certainly an esoteric bit of history, this FJ is a good example of WECIB.
I guess it is part of the coronation since she was head of the Church of England. But it was a pretty simple get.
Wait, I assumed that it was part of her marriage ceremony, wedding rings are traditionally worn on the fourth finger (checks left hand, yup). Checking Wikipedia just now it seems it was for her coronation if that was the date, but her wedding wasn't that far off the date. (I'm sure I'm not alone here in thinking that the ring was a wedding ring.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:55 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:25 pm
Wait, I assumed that it was part of her marriage ceremony, wedding rings are traditionally worn on the fourth finger (checks left hand, yup). Checking Wikipedia just now it seems it was for her coronation if that was the date, but her wedding wasn't that far off the date. (I'm sure I'm not alone here in thinking that the ring was a wedding ring.)
I'm pretty sure that the Queen of England would be the last person to wear a wedding ring on her pinky finger.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5817
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:17 pm
mikebdoss wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:30 pm
The dis on The Eagles reminded me of this story in Billboard last year. I had no idea people hated them en masse (which might be because I'm from California). http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... glenn-frey
I still don't think the Eagles and Nickleback are on the same level despite both being famous for lots of people hating them.
Grand Funk Railroad were pretty viciously hated too weren't they?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5276
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:29 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:55 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:25 pm
Wait, I assumed that it was part of her marriage ceremony, wedding rings are traditionally worn on the fourth finger (checks left hand, yup). Checking Wikipedia just now it seems it was for her coronation if that was the date, but her wedding wasn't that far off the date. (I'm sure I'm not alone here in thinking that the ring was a wedding ring.)
I'm pretty sure that the Queen of England would be the last person to wear a wedding ring on her pinky finger.
Yeahbut the point was that the ring wasn't put on her pinky finger. It was meant for a pinky finger but the archbish "jammed" it onto her 4th. (Amateur. When I conducted weddings I always told the couple ahead of time not to force the ring on. If it won't slide easily past that second knuckle, just leave it alone. The other party can discreetly twist it on the rest of the way.) Like Dave, I thought the occasion might have been a wedding and that the ceremony perhaps called for the ring to be handed to the celebrant who would maybe bless it or something as he put it on the bride.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:54 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:29 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:55 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:25 pm
Wait, I assumed that it was part of her marriage ceremony, wedding rings are traditionally worn on the fourth finger (checks left hand, yup). Checking Wikipedia just now it seems it was for her coronation if that was the date, but her wedding wasn't that far off the date. (I'm sure I'm not alone here in thinking that the ring was a wedding ring.)
I'm pretty sure that the Queen of England would be the last person to wear a wedding ring on her pinky finger.
Yeahbut the point was that the ring wasn't put on her pinky finger. It was meant for a pinky finger but the archbish "jammed" it onto her 4th. (Amateur. When I conducted weddings I always told the couple ahead of time not to force the ring on. If it won't slide easily past that second knuckle, just leave it alone. The other party can discreetly twist it on the rest of the way.) Like Dave, I thought the occasion might have been a wedding and that the ceremony perhaps called for the ring to be handed to the celebrant who would maybe bless it or something as he put it on the bride.
Prezactly. The way I reasoned it is that her wedding ring was designed for her pinky because she wanted it on her pinky and who says no to the Queen of England? Why would she want it in her pinky? She set the trend for a lot of things, that’s why there’s a whole era named for her. I mean, wearing white for her wedding when that wasn’t the style then it’s readonable to assume she might want her wedding ring on her pinky despite that not being the style then. The archbishop, though, would have been privy to none of this and thought she’d be keeping tradition. A very reasonable assumption on my part.

(In fact, raise your hand if you knew before today the sovereign has a special ring they wear. I didn’t until I read this discussion, despite watching J! I still wouldn’t have known were it not for you guys, so thanks for the bonus trivia!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acthomas, alietr, AndrewHip, dinghammer, EdwazdSwado, Elijah Baley, Google [Bot], IvanseoAllor, morbeedo, PanthersFan1, radioinsomnia, TilligerlMip and 27 guests