FJs for the 9/25/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 9/25/17 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:50 pm

The statue of a sailor seen here in Watchet, England is based on a famous poem by this man
77%
At the Women in I.T. Awards in 2017, the head of MI-6 said today the real version of the character known by this letter is female
69%
A collection of her writings includes letters to her famous husband & articles like “Eulogy on the Flapper”
70%
Once its own city, it joined with a neighbor in 1898; today on its own it would be the 4th most populous city in the U.S.
72%
On June 28, 1838 an archbishop jammed a ring made for her little finger onto her 4th; she had to soak it in ice water to get it off
82%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
28%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
COUNTRIES WITH ONLY A'S AS VOWELS $800: The 2 that touch both the Atlantic Ocean & the Pacific Ocean
57%
SUNSET, BOLIVAR $1600: Bolivar’s will left to the University of Caracas 2 books that had once belonged to this European leader
41%
TRANSPORTATION $800: This numerical NYC avenue’s subway line opened in 2017 with stops at East 72nd, 86th & 96th Streets
22%
“PRE” SCHOOL $400: It’s defined as “an action taken in advance to protect against possible danger” - My response was the wanted, "precaution."
32%
“PRE” SCHOOL $400: It’s defined as “an action taken in advance to protect against possible danger” - I responded with "preventative", "preemptive", "preventive", or "preemptive strike."
41%
M was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
28%
I had Panama only and not Canada for the Daily Double that wanted both countries.
29%
I had Canada only and not Panama for the Daily Double that wanted both countries.
8%
Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, or the Bronx was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
13%

Total votes: 128

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 9/25/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH POETS

9/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The statue of a sailor seen here in Watchet, England is based on a famous poem by this man

9/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL CHARACTERS

9/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At the Women in I.T. Awards in 2017, the head of MI-6 said today the real version of the character known by this letter is female

9/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN WOMEN

9/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A collection of her writings includes letters to her famous husband & articles like “Eulogy on the Flapper”

9/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE NORTHEASTERN U.S.

9/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Once its own city, it joined with a neighbor in 1898; today on its own it would be the 4th most populous city in the U.S.

9/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th PEOPLE

9/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On June 28, 1838 an archbishop jammed a ring made for her little finger onto her 4th; she had to soak it in ice water to get it off

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Coleridge
Q
Zelda Fitzgerald
Brooklyn
Queen Victoria
The players were 7/14 (50.00%) with a 2-1-1-1-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested missed Daily Double, a requested Daily Double with a correct response and a requested clue rebounded correctly.

COUNTRIES WITH ONLY A'S AS VOWELS $800: The 2 that touch both the Atlantic Ocean & the Pacific Ocean

SUNSET, BOLIVAR $1600: Bolivar’s will left to the University of Caracas 2 books that had once belonged to this European leader

TRANSPORTATION $800: This numerical NYC avenue’s subway line opened in 2017 with stops at East 72nd, 86th & 96th Streets

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Canada & Panama
Napoleon
2nd
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 9/25/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(
Panama only
Clam on 2nd Avenue
No get on Napoleon
preemptive strike
Did not guess a NY borough
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

"M" for "Q."

"Pre-emptive" for the "pre-" clue that had many possible responses.

The nearest Second Avenue Subway station to me is about half a block from my apartment. :)
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Napoleon was a WAG; I still feel like I'm missing something. A Brooklyn FJ and a subway extra clue? I feel like it's my birthday.
hbomb1947 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:09 pm The nearest Second Avenue Subway station to me is about half a block from my apartment. :)
Is it everything you were hoping for? I mean, they spent how much to build how many stations and they're how long from being done?!?! Sheesh. I love this city, but it's so stupid sometimes.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Panama only. Mrs. P got Canada only.
Mrs. P and I both correctly guessed Napoleon

This is Week 3 for my 4/5 coulda woulda shoulda. In Week 1, if I'd thought of the correct singer's name, I'd have gone with it. In Week 2, I didn't recognize the name of the author, but if I'd thought of the correct comic, I'd have gone with it. In Week 3, if I'd paid attention and noticed the clue a) was talking about a real-life person, b) mentioned I.T., and c) quoted the real-life counterpart to M as she spoke of SOMEONE ELSE... sigh.

Maybe next week.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I had a total brain freeze on Wednesday and went with Ella Fitzgerald.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:10 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:09 pm The nearest Second Avenue Subway station to me is about half a block from my apartment. :)
Is it everything you were hoping for? I mean, they spent how much to build how many stations and they're how long from being done?!?! Sheesh. I love this city, but it's so stupid sometimes.
As I mentioned in the game thread, they spent over a decade and billions of dollars to build just 3 stations in phase 1. There isn't even a timetable for beginning phase 2 (which will extend the line north from 96th to 125th), let alone phase 3 which will extend the line south from 72nd Street to Fulton Street. I still can't take the line all the way to my office which is at 50th and 3rd. But the one major benefit is, it's made it much easier and quicker for me to get to or from Penn Station or Times Square / Port Authority, which used to be a nightmare for UESers. Also, the new stations are nice and shiny (for now).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
davey

Post by davey »

:evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Let Canada slip my mind... :roll:
I think I stayed clam on "pre" since my response "pre-emptive" didn't quite fit...

I've been on the 2d Avenue subway exactly once. It has some nice public art-
https://hyperallergic.com/348918/a-unde ... ue-subway/
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

* :( :(

Manhattan
* - I said "Canada" as the contestant said "Panama." I'm sure I would have gotten there, so I'm giving myself credit.
Said preemptive strike.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :(

I precalled Panama and Canada first (then Chad, Madagascar, and Kazakhstan) when the category was revealed. My question is, should Rwanda have been included in the category?

I got "precaution"... the rest is silence.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Canada was a precall, but couldn't get Panama. I think it's really strange the stats so far indicate more people thought of Panama!

Said 5th Avenue for the subway line.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Panama only, although I was playing off the clue here as I didn't see that category on the show, don't know if it would have made a difference.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(

I clammed on "Pre" for $400 because I wasn't sure of which word to pick.

Incorrect with M.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On Wednesday, my final choice (over Eleanor R and Gertrude Stein) was "whoever was married to the Great Gatsby dude, oh yeah, F. Scott Fitzgeralds' old lady". I possibly would have written Mrs. FS Fitzgerald, but not sure if that would count anyway. Not going to claim a 5/5. Especially since "Q" was a lucky guess because I was going for the Judi Dench character and forgot it was "M" (the new "Q" is a millenial smart alek). Two stupids make a smart sometimes.

I was late coming to Brooklyn but decided WECIB because I know the top 4 cities as NYC/LA/Chicago/Houston. I don't remember the Welcome Back Kotter intro.

V.R. (Victoria Regina) is on all the old vintage mailboxes in England, which helped me decide it was Victoria, not the first rendering of Elizabeth (the only two Queens I know about). Coleridge was an instaget.

Pre-called Canada but answer on show came too fast because I was distracted into Central America along with the player. Panama is a cinch from the clue - Panama Canal even works! No way to count up through Costa Rica, Guatemala, etc.. in time to realize the cleverness of the clue.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Tue - M
Preventative
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: fell for M
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( 5th
spoilered on the "pre"school clue, no vote
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Preëmptive. ;)

Precalled Canada, then insta-got Panama before flailing around for a while and finally remembering.

My first 5/5 of the season.
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :|

Ironically done in by the James Bond clue - when I've probably seen all of the old ones (Sean Connery and Roger Moore) a dozen times each - they're replayed so often. I still think the clue was a bit "off" since I don't think there's that much connection between IT and the kind of gadgetry Q was known for. :geek: