Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

OK, challengers, you've seen how much he's gotten, you've watched at least one of his games. Your best chance is to go DD hunting and get those away from him. He didn't hunt much today, but you know he's going big, so try to keep them away from him.
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

Felt bad for Amy that she had to go up aginst a superchamp cause with a better draw I think she could have won a few games.
Last edited by PanthersFan1 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaladinStormblessed
Contributor

Post by KaladinStormblessed »

PanthersFan1 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 pm Felt bad for Amy that he had to go up aginst a superchamp cause with a better draw I think she could won a few games.
I was afraid for a bit she'd be his Zerg and end him. Oh me of little faith!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:44 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:20 pm Good Lord, that wager.
I think this should now be added as part of the Jeopardy! record books...for most money earned on a FJ! wager. It's crazy. I'm not sure what zerobandwidth's reaction is like when he sees this.
That "WHOA!" from the audience when they revealed Austin's wager was definitely me freaking out. :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Meta-trivia: Andy remarked on Twitter that Ryan's miss on "Pillars of the Earth" was deflating. It's worse than that. They originally ruled him correct, which gave him control of the board. The next clue he chose was the DD. Only after the DD was revealed did the judges halt play for further review, and then they had to come back and have Alex give the explanation of why it was incorrect. But, since Ryan had gained control with that incorrect response, they not only had to take away the credit for the response, they also had to move the Daily Double, which was of course found in its new location by Austin instead. When that happened I was really feeling bad for Ryan and it was clearly the beginning of a downward spiral for his morale. He came back a bit but it was not enough, especially with Amy at the middle lectern, who could easily have been a multi-day champion in her own right, had she not been stuck playing The Amazing Mr Rogers.

KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:48 pm Meta-trivia: Andy remarked on Twitter that Ryan's miss on "Pillars of the Earth" was deflating. It's worse than that. They originally ruled him correct, which gave him control of the board. The next clue he chose was the DD. Only after the DD was revealed did the judges halt play for further review, and then they had to come back and have Alex give the explanation of why it was incorrect. But, since Ryan had gained control with that incorrect response, they not only had to take away the credit for the response, they also had to move the Daily Double, which was of course found in its new location by Austin instead. When that happened I was really feeling bad for Ryan and it was clearly the beginning of a downward spiral for his morale. He came back a bit but it was not enough, especially with Amy at the middle lectern, who could easily have been a multi-day champion in her own right, had she not been stuck playing The Amazing Mr Rogers.
Oh, man, a big blow for him. :(

And yes, definitely a WHOA moment with that wager!
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:24 pm
I got a chuckle from IS THAT A THING $1600: Yes, it’s this 7-letter item seen in a church or an auditorium
The clue brought back memories of previous discussions of podium vs. lectern or my solution after tiring of the back-and-forth by using the term “podiern.”

I was probably part of that debate, I have a reputation in my Toastmasters club for being a stickler on the terms “lectern” and “podium” (a podium is something you stand on, hence the root related to “podiatrist”) and I’m famous for that peeve there. Although perhaps mentioning it again has opened up the debate anew.
I confidently said "rostrum;" maybe I'd get credit. Was the picture specific enough to lecterns?

FJ - went right to Churchill, but it nagged at me because of the "beautiful," and I blurted out Mandela pretty close to the end. I don't think I'd have had time to cross it out and write Mandela, but I'll count it for my personal tally.

The weirder the opening pantomime and the calmer the game play, the more fun Austin has become. I'm starting to like him, because of that confidence and because he's making the most out of this experience. He seems more vulnerable to a bad category mix than other ToC-level players, but he's not, proverbially, leaving anything on the field.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

BAD WAGER ALERT :!:

should have been capped at $32,800
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

PanthersFan1 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 pm Felt bad for Amy that he had to go up aginst a superchamp cause with a better draw I think she could have won a few games.
Anyone who can have an $18600 Coryat against Austin is definitely champion-grade. She had a decent lead well into DJ!.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Anachronism wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:15 pm
dhkendall wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:24 pm
I got a chuckle from IS THAT A THING $1600: Yes, it’s this 7-letter item seen in a church or an auditorium
The clue brought back memories of previous discussions of podium vs. lectern or my solution after tiring of the back-and-forth by using the term “podiern.”

I was probably part of that debate, I have a reputation in my Toastmasters club for being a stickler on the terms “lectern” and “podium” (a podium is something you stand on, hence the root related to “podiatrist”) and I’m famous for that peeve there. Although perhaps mentioning it again has opened up the debate anew.
I confidently said "rostrum;" maybe I'd get credit. Was the picture specific enough to lecterns?
Check my link. That’s definitely not a rostrum.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Did they really accept Eros as the winged son of Venus and Vulcan? Roman dieties, so only the Roman name of Cupid should be correct. :geek:
Mons Olympus is not the highest mountain of Mars, but Olympus Mons is.
For FJ I latched on to "never again" and guessed David Ben-Gurion
Last edited by DBear on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

DBear wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm Did they really accept Eros as the winged son of Venus and Vulcan? Roman dieties, so only the Roman name of Cupid should be correct. :geek:
This wasn't one of those categories or clues that specified you had to give either the Greek or Roman name (Cf. the clue asking for the Greek counterpart to Venus as the goddess of love), so either is good.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:46 pm Like MarkBarrett, I got stuck in Europe on the FJ, but I went with De Gaulle rather than Churchill. Once Alex started his explanation in the reveal, I knew who we were going to end up with.
Add another de Gaulle here.

And yeah, Austin probably should have been negged for Mons Olympus.
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:28 pm
PanthersFan1 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 pm Felt bad for Amy that he had to go up aginst a superchamp cause with a better draw I think she could have won a few games.
Anyone who can have an $18600 Coryat against Austin is definitely champion-grade. She had a decent lead well into DJ!.
yup I agree there.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

As an amateur astronomer, I was surprised that Galileo said Mars had phases like the Moon. I've never seen much of a phase on Mars, and earthsky seems to agree. http://earthsky.org/sky-archive/smalles ... ptember-13 notes 85 percent full as the smallest Martian phase. It made me think the clue belonged in the Venus column, which shows all phases, like the moon, which was seen by Galileo.

bob
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Austin has won more money in the last two games than eight of our ToCers did in their entire runs (including the four tourney winners). How about that!? :)
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:27 pm
acthomas wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:23 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:20 pm Good Lord, that wager.
I can't decide if it's terrifying because he *could* have blown his win with a wrong answer (had she wagered differently)...

... or if the final total is just ... "nice".
Amy thinks she can't win unless she bets big. With Ryan out Amy thinks there is no penalty for betting it all. Austin thinks the clue will be a double get or a double miss and expects Amy to bet it all. Or Austin really really likes 20th CENTURY WORLD LEADERS? Or Austin wants to go big or go home? When was the last time Roger Craig checked in here? At this point he should be sitting up.
I think it makes sense. Amy essentially has to bet it all to beat him. If she's right and he's wrong, he loses regardless. So why not bet all but $1 to win big?

My guess was Chamberlain for FJ, I was thinking it would be someone whose quote would come back to bite them.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

I am confused about the category "Psychic Jeopardy!". The clues didn't seem to have any connection to each other or psychics. Pray enlighten me!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:23 pm I am confused about the category "Psychic Jeopardy!". The clues didn't seem to have any connection to each other or psychics. Pray enlighten me!
Current U.S. coin (the smallest across)

AKC recognized breed (the only one that begins with a "y")

NFL starting quarterback (for the Seahawks)

Wife of Henry VIII (died from childbirth in 1537)

British drummer (in the Beatles before Ringo)

The first part of each clue has more than one potential response and you would have to be a psychic to get it right. The part in parentheses narrows it down to one specific option.

I think the format could make a fun game show if done right. Each of three players could ring in on the first part with no penalty for a wrong guess. Sometimes a player would get lucky and get it on the first try for points. After three misses then additional hints are given. I like the mixture of 50:50 to 1 in 32 to however many AKC breeds exist.

Name one of Snow White's dwarfs
Name a Brady kid
Name a 21st century U.S. President
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:32 pm OK, challengers, you've seen how much he's gotten, you've watched at least one of his games. Your best chance is to go DD hunting and get those away from him. He didn't hunt much today, but you know he's going big, so try to keep them away from him.
I thought he explicitly went out of his way to hunt today, going straight for the $1600s then the $1200s in DJ!

I couldn't attack FJ! the right way at all. I was thinking dictatorish/revolutionary, Castro, Mao, etc. Mandela would've been waaaaay down on the list.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)