Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8708
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 pm

TheTabbyWhisperer wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:23 pm
I am confused about the category "Psychic Jeopardy!". The clues didn't seem to have any connection to each other or psychics. Pray enlighten me!
It’s another of their cutesy categories. I forget exact clue wordings, but using the J6 clue if the host says “An African country” and you correctly reply “What is Egypt?” people will say “wow, how did you know that, you’re psychic!” But they didn’t hear the host whisper at the end “(home to the Nile River delta)”.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3967
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:51 pm

Interesting timing for me today on the "Pillars of the Earth" clue. I got an email from the Seattle Public Library this morning that an e-book I had a hold on was available for checkout. That book, of course, was "Pillars of the Earth!"

I got FJ, but man was that a cumbersome quote. Did anyone else notice Alex let his Canadian slip out in his pronunciation of the word "again?" For at least one of them he pronounced it "a-gain."

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 641
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:00 am

Volante wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:37 pm

I couldn't attack FJ! the right way at all. I was thinking dictatorish/revolutionary, Castro, Mao, etc. Mandela would've been waaaaay down on the list.
Is tonight's FJ the end of the softball clues? Lots of boardies posting misses so far. I finally settled on Churchill knowing it didn't fit. The word "oppress" in the clue pretty much limited it to an occupied country, but I couldn't see France fitting the quote and know of no notable orators from Hungary / Czech / Netherlands, etc.. If from WW2, I figured Netherlands, but had no names. I thought about Mao / Minh but felt it was too flowery.

I accidentally spoiled my viewing of the show by opening this thread by mistake. Now I don't think I can be shocked by his balls out wagering. Austin seemed subdued early on, was he just losing the buzzer? Have we learned his weak areas? Sports? He bets like it's house money, and it makes for great theater. Today's bet was pitch perfect and he was playing with house money basically. Well done, sir.
- All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford (Winner of Nobel price in CHEMISTRY)-

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hbomb1947 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:02 am

dhkendall wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 pm
TheTabbyWhisperer wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:23 pm
I am confused about the category "Psychic Jeopardy!". The clues didn't seem to have any connection to each other or psychics. Pray enlighten me!
It’s another of their cutesy categories. I forget exact clue wordings, but using the J6 clue if the host says “An African country” and you correctly reply “What is Egypt?” people will say “wow, how did you know that, you’re psychic!” But they didn’t hear the host whisper at the end “(home to the Nile River delta)”.
I didn't understand it at all while I was watching the game. Now that it's been explained here, I think it was a dumb category and I won't mind if we never see it again. :) I mean, if you want to have a potpourri category, just do it without getting overly cute.

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:34 am

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by chmmr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:06 am

I guessed Lenin.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1300
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by boson » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 am

bkellysky wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:32 pm
As an amateur astronomer, I was surprised that Galileo said Mars had phases like the Moon. I've never seen much of a phase on Mars, and earthsky seems to agree. http://earthsky.org/sky-archive/smalles ... ptember-13 notes 85 percent full as the smallest Martian phase. It made me think the clue belonged in the Venus column, which shows all phases, like the moon, which was seen by Galileo.

bob
Yeah, that threw me as well. A search on "Galileo Mars Phases" gave me this quote:
he wrote tentatively to Father Benedetto Castelli, one of his former pupils, on December 30, 1610: "I ought not to claim that I can see the phases of Mars; however, unless I am deceiving myself, I believe I have already seen that it is not perfectly round."
from this link.

If Galileo writes about Martian phases with this many caveats, then I doubt Jeopardy should be asking about him seeing them.

On the other hand, 1610, moon phases, telescope leads to exactly one person.

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Lefty » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:37 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:51 pm


I got FJ, but man was that a cumbersome quote. Did anyone else notice Alex let his Canadian slip out in his pronunciation of the word "again?" For at least one of them he pronounced it "a-gain."
The cumber helped lead me to the right answer. Probably not an English-as-a-first-language speaker, but maybe second or third. No one else seemed quite right.
I'm smart and I want respect.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6531
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:55 am

Occupation was entirely over my head.

So I said Bette Midler instead of Davis in J!, and then there she is in DJ! "Wind Beneath the Wings" sucks.

Couldn't pull "Kalamazoo" on the Michigan clue. Again, I went too far back. Is there a way to tackle these alphabet clues? I always go too far, or not far enough.

No guess on FJ! I saw absolutely no TOM in this clue.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:06 am

PSYCHIC JEOPARDY didn't bother me at all :P

Austin is destroying so many Jeopardy! dreams
coming at you like an ex-president

kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by kprather895 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:05 am

Two others have posted what they thought Austin's max wager should have been. I got a different number.

$18,600 could double to $37,200, so Austin must wager at least $2201. If he misses that, he sits at $32,799.

If Amy wagers to clear just that, she wagers $14,200. Missing that gives her $4400.

So Austin must leave himself $4401, for a max wager of $30,599.

Is this right, or am I missing something?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8811
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:07 am

kprather895 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:05 am
Two others have posted what they thought Austin's max wager should have been. I got a different number.

$18,600 could double to $37,200, so Austin must wager at least $2201. If he misses that, he sits at $32,799.

If Amy wagers to clear just that, she wagers $14,200. Missing that gives her $4400.

So Austin must leave himself $4401, for a max wager of $30,599.

Is this right, or am I missing something?
That was my line of thinking. In his place I would cap my bet at what you suggested.

However, you are still running a risk. Suppose she makes a math error in calculating his MSBIW and bets less than that. Or maybe she is just an idiot and decides to bet zero because she sucks at history. Granted, her final total doesn't matter since she doesn't have to worry about third place. But she wouldn't have been the first to make a small bet in that situation.

Relying on the other person to make a logical bet is usually risky. In the lead, I'm making the MSB and not a penny more. But he had already won a ton of cash and is in the TOC. And I suspect he had non-monetary reasons for wanting to finish with that total.

But a nice win for Austin. I got FJ pretty quickly. I never considered anyone else.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

bkellysky
Contributor
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bkellysky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:51 am

boson wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 am
bkellysky wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:32 pm
As an amateur astronomer, I was surprised that Galileo said Mars had phases like the Moon. I've never seen much of a phase on Mars, and earthsky seems to agree. http://earthsky.org/sky-archive/smalles ... ptember-13 notes 85 percent full as the smallest Martian phase. It made me think the clue belonged in the Venus column, which shows all phases, like the moon, which was seen by Galileo.

bob
Yeah, that threw me as well. A search on "Galileo Mars Phases" gave me this quote:
he wrote tentatively to Father Benedetto Castelli, one of his former pupils, on December 30, 1610: "I ought not to claim that I can see the phases of Mars; however, unless I am deceiving myself, I believe I have already seen that it is not perfectly round."
from this link.

If Galileo writes about Martian phases with this many caveats, then I doubt Jeopardy should be asking about him seeing them.

On the other hand, 1610, moon phases, telescope leads to exactly one person.
Thank you for the link.
Yes, I don't remember anyone else using telescopes at that time who wrote about planets having phases, so I agree the clue only leads to one person.
all the best,
bob

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1403
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Leander » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:19 am

The phrase "beautiful land " just seemed to me to be unlikely to have been said by any of the First World leaders that have come up as alternatives in this thread, which led me pretty quickly to Mandela.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Andromus wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:34 pm
Mao for me on FJ.
Glad to see I wasn't the only one to go to that part of the world. I said Ho Chi Minh.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:04 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:35 pm
TheTabbyWhisperer wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:23 pm
I am confused about the category "Psychic Jeopardy!". The clues didn't seem to have any connection to each other or psychics. Pray enlighten me!
Current U.S. coin (the smallest across)

AKC recognized breed (the only one that begins with a "y")

NFL starting quarterback (for the Seahawks)

Wife of Henry VIII (died from childbirth in 1537)

British drummer (in the Beatles before Ringo)

The first part of each clue has more than one potential response and you would have to be a psychic to get it right. The part in parentheses narrows it down to one specific option.


Name one of Snow White's dwarfs
Name a Brady kid
Name a 21st century U.S. President
...
Sorry, writers, but that seems like an awfully lame premise for a category. I mean, how many clues have there been over the years (about a bajillion?) that would be nothing but wild-guess clues if you read only the first part of the clue, but were clarified/narrowed down by reading the rest of the clue?

Duh.

slam
Auditioning Since 1985
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by slam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:51 am

kprather895 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:05 am
Two others have posted what they thought Austin's max wager should have been. I got a different number.

$18,600 could double to $37,200, so Austin must wager at least $2201. If he misses that, he sits at $32,799.

If Amy wagers to clear just that, she wagers $14,200. Missing that gives her $4400.

So Austin must leave himself $4401, for a max wager of $30,599.

Is this right, or am I missing something?
Assuming Austin is fine with risking the win to try and maximize his winnings, I agree completely with your analysis. I came back to make a cameo and make exactly that point.

The problem with this wager, though, is that there are too many contestants in Amy's position who just give up and bet something small without thinking it through rationally. That leaves Austin vulnerable if he misses FJ and Amy doesn't bet as much as she really should.

Looking up I see that Bamaman made the same points that I just made.

slam
Auditioning Since 1985
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by slam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 am

hbomb1947 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:46 pm
We should have more games where Alex dispenses with the preamble to get more clues in. :)

Just when I was wondering why Austin's DD wager in the Venus category was so . . . Venusian :D by his previous standards, he goes and makes an FJ wager far beyond the cover bet that most of us were probably expecting. It was even a little reckless in that it exposed him to a loss in the event of a double-stumper if Amy didn't go all-in. But then again, he's now 6 for 6 on FJ's so he probably wasn't taking much of a risk. :) He's also 12 for 13 on DD's. And his Coryat was $23,800, following a $23,600 in Monday's game. In other words, Austin is playing at a very high level in all phases of the game. The Jeopardy! Fan now gives him an astonishing 60.14% chance of winning a total of at least 11 games, and assesses his average expected number of wins as 15. If he loses on or before November 3, I think I would have him as a platinum in the TOC. :)

Like MarkBarrett, I got stuck in Europe on the FJ, but I went with De Gaulle rather than Churchill. Once Alex started his explanation in the reveal, I knew who we were going to end up with.

Minor quibble: Austin was credited with "Mons Olympus" for "Olympus Mons" as the famous Martian volcano. I've only ever heard it as Olympus Mons. Does flipping the words make a material difference? Would it be like calling a certain Earthly peak "2K" or "Austen-Godwin"?
If he loses on or before Nov. 3, I still give him absolutely no chance to win this year's TOC at least not without a time machine. It was filmed a week or so ago.

User avatar
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by KellyLasiter » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:58 am

slam wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 am
hbomb1947 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:46 pm
We should have more games where Alex dispenses with the preamble to get more clues in. :)

Just when I was wondering why Austin's DD wager in the Venus category was so . . . Venusian :D by his previous standards, he goes and makes an FJ wager far beyond the cover bet that most of us were probably expecting. It was even a little reckless in that it exposed him to a loss in the event of a double-stumper if Amy didn't go all-in. But then again, he's now 6 for 6 on FJ's so he probably wasn't taking much of a risk. :) He's also 12 for 13 on DD's. And his Coryat was $23,800, following a $23,600 in Monday's game. In other words, Austin is playing at a very high level in all phases of the game. The Jeopardy! Fan now gives him an astonishing 60.14% chance of winning a total of at least 11 games, and assesses his average expected number of wins as 15. If he loses on or before November 3, I think I would have him as a platinum in the TOC. :)

Like MarkBarrett, I got stuck in Europe on the FJ, but I went with De Gaulle rather than Churchill. Once Alex started his explanation in the reveal, I knew who we were going to end up with.

Minor quibble: Austin was credited with "Mons Olympus" for "Olympus Mons" as the famous Martian volcano. I've only ever heard it as Olympus Mons. Does flipping the words make a material difference? Would it be like calling a certain Earthly peak "2K" or "Austen-Godwin"?
If he loses on or before Nov. 3, I still give him absolutely no chance to win this year's TOC at least not without a time machine. It was filmed a week or so ago.
Yeah, but Austin would have taped his run several months ago, so unless he's still winning and taping, it depends on where they put the cutoff.

slam
Auditioning Since 1985
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by slam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:15 am

KellyLasiter wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:58 am
slam wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 am
hbomb1947 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:46 pm
We should have more games where Alex dispenses with the preamble to get more clues in. :)

Just when I was wondering why Austin's DD wager in the Venus category was so . . . Venusian :D by his previous standards, he goes and makes an FJ wager far beyond the cover bet that most of us were probably expecting. It was even a little reckless in that it exposed him to a loss in the event of a double-stumper if Amy didn't go all-in. But then again, he's now 6 for 6 on FJ's so he probably wasn't taking much of a risk. :) He's also 12 for 13 on DD's. And his Coryat was $23,800, following a $23,600 in Monday's game. In other words, Austin is playing at a very high level in all phases of the game. The Jeopardy! Fan now gives him an astonishing 60.14% chance of winning a total of at least 11 games, and assesses his average expected number of wins as 15. If he loses on or before November 3, I think I would have him as a platinum in the TOC. :)

Like MarkBarrett, I got stuck in Europe on the FJ, but I went with De Gaulle rather than Churchill. Once Alex started his explanation in the reveal, I knew who we were going to end up with.

Minor quibble: Austin was credited with "Mons Olympus" for "Olympus Mons" as the famous Martian volcano. I've only ever heard it as Olympus Mons. Does flipping the words make a material difference? Would it be like calling a certain Earthly peak "2K" or "Austen-Godwin"?
If he loses on or before Nov. 3, I still give him absolutely no chance to win this year's TOC at least not without a time machine. It was filmed a week or so ago.
Yeah, but Austin would have taped his run several months ago, so unless he's still winning and taping, it depends on where they put the cutoff.
D'oh!

User avatar
acthomas
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:29 pm
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by acthomas » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:23 am

KellyLasiter wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:58 am
slam wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 am
If he loses on or before Nov. 3, I still give him absolutely no chance to win this year's TOC at least not without a time machine. It was filmed a week or so ago.
Yeah, but Austin would have taped his run several months ago, so unless he's still winning and taping, it depends on where they put the cutoff.
I for one have not dismissed that possibility. :geek:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acthomas, Baidu [Spider], floridagator, guessonguessonguess, JamesClove, Michaelasync, Peter the accountant, Prestonroawn, StevenH, teapot37, TenPoundHammer, wapedDep and 25 guests