What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by triviawayne »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:45 pm Do you think the Jeopardy! producers can do time travel and the reason they made Buzzy Cohen play as "Buzzy" instead of Austin is that they didn't want to have two contestants known as Austin in the ToC?
Or maybe you can because you seem to "know" Autsin's current streak ends in time for the taping of the TOC... :lol:
Total game show career losings = $171,522
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 am Or maybe you can because you seem to "know" Austin's current streak ends in time for the taping of the TOC... :lol:
Considering that my prediction model gives Austin a 2.1% chance of winning 20 more games, I'd say that Mr Hammarskjold here isn't going out on too much of a limb.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:57 am
triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 am Or maybe you can because you seem to "know" Austin's current streak ends in time for the taping of the TOC... :lol:
Considering that my prediction model gives Austin a 2.1% chance of winning 20 more games, I'd say that Mr Hammarskjold here isn't going out on too much of a limb.
That's good. Cats on limbs can be quite fraught with problems.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

He's 8/9 on FJs... high get rate on DDs also... looks a lot more like 89% IMHO... not invincible... just sayin.

Pantomimes def do not endear this contestant to my audience. Looks... smug. :?
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:45 pm Do you think the Jeopardy! producers can do time travel and the reason they made Buzzy Cohen play as "Buzzy" instead of Austin is that they didn't want to have two contestants known as Austin in the ToC?
Definitely. And while they were at it they changed the name of the Berenstein Bears to Berenstain!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

goatman wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:33 am He's 8/9 on FJs... high get rate on DDs also... looks a lot more like 89% IMHO... not invincible... just sayin.

You'll enjoy today's balloon animal opening then. ;) Here is what Austin looks like after the taping break:

KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:22 am
goatman wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:33 am He's 8/9 on FJs... high get rate on DDs also... looks a lot more like 89% IMHO... not invincible... just sayin.

You'll enjoy today's balloon animal opening then. ;) Here is what Austin looks like after the taping break:

I wondered if he'd have the haircut after the break! :) I knew that he has shorter hair currently, but wasn't sure if he cut it mid-run or afterward.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Austin Powers wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:01 pm
guessonguessonguess wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:56 am Austin is an utter clown.
Hey! Play nice.
After Austin has gone to such lengths to impress this fact on us, it would be impolite not to notice.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I found Rogers entertaining at first, although I've grown weary of his antics and now find him smug, annoying, bordering on rude (although not as rude as Matt Jackson). According to this opinion from the Toronto Star, Alex Trebek can't stand him. However, I can't say that I've detected any real animosity on Trebek's part. He may very well dislike Rogers, but he is too professional and tactful to express it on the show.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/t ... -lose.html
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I'm on the haters side.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Because TPTB have taken to replaying his opening mime act when they would normally show the contestant chat over the end credits, I am not a fan. Also, a little of the shtick goes a long way - and we have gotten a lot of shtick.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:34 pm Because TPTB have taken to replaying his opening mime act when they would normally show the contestant chat over the end credits, I am not a fan. Also, a little of the shtick goes a long way - and we have gotten a lot of shtick.
Apparently, they're encouraging contestants to develop some kind of routine to get a little extra camera time. As I said before, I'm sure he's a perfectly nice guy, but I think if I was a contestant, I'd be a little miffed at getting cut for that final shot just so that they can give more time to a ham. The Jeopardy webpage is also set up to be "all Austin all the time" as well.

Then again, it's always about the ratings. The more "controversial," the better. I just wish the guy would let his gameplay do the talking, but I'm not rooting against him as he is a good player and it makes it fun to see if someone is going to be able to make it close.
davey

Post by davey »

Gizmo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm I found Rogers entertaining at first, although I've grown weary of his antics and now find him smug, annoying, bordering on rude (although not as rude as Matt Jackson). According to this opinion from the Toronto Star, Alex Trebek can't stand him. However, I can't say that I've detected any real animosity on Trebek's part. He may very well dislike Rogers, but he is too professional and tactful to express it on the show.

This is the second time I've read this in the press from someone with an apparent ax to grind. Seems like pure projection to me. I don't see any evidence of it.
http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/austin-r ... treak.html
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

It's certainly not journalism.

But, hey, if you're the Toronto Star and you want to double down on whatever decisions you made that led to the closing of your printing plant, might as well lend your name to click-bait.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I feel like I'm in the minority around here at this point but I'm very much on Team Austin.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:34 pm I feel like I'm in the minority around here at this point but I'm very much on Team Austin.
It seems pretty even. Which is about what one would expect. And more specifically, my guess is that there is an equivalent number of people with strong opinions on both sides, with a lot in the middle who don't hate his antics, but aren't particularly thrilled with them either - or the prospect of more contestants trying hard to be cute/funny/silly.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Gizmo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm I found Rogers entertaining at first, although I've grown weary of his antics and now find him smug, annoying, bordering on rude (although not as rude as Matt Jackson). According to this opinion from the Toronto Star, Alex Trebek can't stand him. However, I can't say that I've detected any real animosity on Trebek's part. He may very well dislike Rogers, but he is too professional and tactful to express it on the show.

The Toronto Star article is garbage, with the author seemingly projecting her own feelings onto Alex, whom of course she doesn't interview. There's no evidence that Alex isn't having fun with Austin's run, let alone that Alex dislikes him. And getting Austin's Twitter handle wrong doesn't say much for the credibility of this poor exercise in journalism.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:34 pm I feel like I'm in the minority around here at this point but I'm very much on Team Austin.
Me too. Also in unpopular opinions, I loved Jennifer Morrow's dancing, Matt Jackson's enthusiasm and Buzzy's cheerfulness, and am baffled when people see smugness or bad sportspersonship in what appears to me to be someone just enjoying being there. But such is life: opinions vary, and everyone is entitled to their own, even if wrong :lol:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I'm ambivalent. I really don't mind Austin's shtick at the top of the show and his interviews are usually funny, but all the extra stuff he says and does during the game just gets in the way. And he loses points with me whenever he disses the Jeopardy! material ("that was terrible," etc.) just shut up and play :x
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I haven't apparently replied to this, so to be on record: I really enjoy it, though I add a caveat if there were two or more Austins, it might be a bit much.

Also...PUPPY! :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)