What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 pm Anybody who thinks Austin was rude or unsportsmanlike to his opponents needs to watch him give an enthusiastic high five to the victor in his final game. It is amazing how anybody who is different invokes such strong and at times ignorant opinions.
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:14 am Says the person openly disdainful of anyone who thought that Austin was "The One" at the start of his run.

Moreover, people's opinions often change over time and we can all see the same thing but perceive it differently. So, it's still funny to see the insistence that if everyone didn't love Austin's unique personality, they were wrong.
I fail to see where I commented on his personality, I commented about his class in defeat when others had been stating he was rude and unsportsmanlike during his run.

And sure, after a whopping one game I'm going to be openly disdainful of any comment regarding a contestant's long term prognosis.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:18 pm Hi all. I've been reading the board for years. First time posting. By pure serendipity, I just happened to come across this appearance by Austin on Cash Cab in 2010. At one point, the host/driver looks at the camera and says, "This guy knows EVERYTHING!" Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI5WTIN ... e=youtu.be
Oh, that's awesome!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:39 pm
Don't Think Twice wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:18 pm Hi all. I've been reading the board for years. First time posting. By pure serendipity, I just happened to come across this appearance by Austin on Cash Cab in 2010. At one point, the host/driver looks at the camera and says, "This guy knows EVERYTHING!" Enjoy!

Oh, that's awesome!
Anybody who dislikes Austin because they think he has an affectation or a shtick should watch that -- he's at his most candid in the unexpected Cash Cab situation, and you can see that Austin on Jeopardy was simply .... Austin.

Personally, I wasn't overly enamored of what I perceived to be as antics. After seeing the Cash Cab episode, I like Austin a little better -- he was just being himself.

.... and I found it interesting he had a question about Baja California in the cab -- and recently got a correct rebound with Baja California after the other contestants with with the Yucatan peninsula.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
billiej

Post by billiej »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Oh, that's awesome!
Anybody who dislikes Austin because they think he has an affectation or a shtick should watch that -- he's at his most candid in the unexpected Cash Cab situation, and you can see that Austin on Jeopardy was simply .... Austen.

Personally, I wasn't overly enamored of what I perceived to be as antics. After seeing the Cash Cab episode, I like Austin a little better -- he was just being himself.

.... and I found it interesting he had a question about Baja California in the cab -- and recently got a correct rebound with Baja California after the other contestants with with the Yucatan peninsula.
I picked up on the Baja too, that was a cool connection.

(And I only got one strike, too, so i have that going for me, which is nice.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:04 pm
And sure, after a whopping one game I'm going to be openly disdainful of any comment regarding a contestant's long term prognosis.
Yes, usually such predictions, hopes & dreams are ridiculous with the most recent example very recent.

In Austin's case his first game coupled with J!'s "Who Will It Be?" promo seemed to be a very obvious match with an high percentage chance of being the ding ding ding moment. If you were Apostle Thomas then fine. I was convinced by game one that Austin was checking all the expected boxes. It was only a matter of how long the run would be.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Oh, that's awesome!
Anybody who dislikes Austin because they think he has an affectation or a shtick should watch that -- he's at his most candid in the unexpected Cash Cab situation, and you can see that Austin on Jeopardy was simply .... Austin.
I'm pretty sure Cash Cab had contestants who were on spontaneously but they also had trivia gurus who were selected to appear on the show.

Also, I counted the pixels in that video on one hand.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far?

Post by jwatcher16 »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:28 am
jwatcher16 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:57 am
alietr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:25 pm
KaladinStormblessed wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:13 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:49 pm I think he's put a temporary halt to the outchange.
Newbie here - define "outchange" please? (I did Google, no useful hits.)
https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1 ... ge#p111321
Well, looking at THAT thread was pretty much pointless. 8 pages of discussion on "outchange" and "rift trend"? Well, I only looked at p. 1 and there didn't seem to be any real definition. So I certainly didn't bother reading the rest. If there was ever a real definition, I hope someone will post just THAT as I can't see slogging through EIGHT pages to see if one were ever "given." I did also like dhkendalll's comment, thought :)
It is just a running joke making fun of an eccentric poster who seems to have limited command of the English language - and most importantly, in this instance displayed sexism as well. We wouldn't be so cruel to someone who was merely eccentric - that could apply to a lot of us!
Hi there Sasnislaus, Jacob - (as per your board name)

Sorry I don't get here more often these days, but I do hope you get a notification ....
Thanks for that clarification. Literally had no clue. Sorry to hear that thread was making fun of someone... maybe I would have seen that if I had felt like reading further. I just found what I was reading was such gpbblety gook, I really didn't know what was going on.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:27 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:21 am I'm just looking forward to what he'll do as a tribute to Cindy Stowell during the ToC. If he had to go, at least he lost to a redhead. Given how many people on twitter seem to believe that redheads don't belong on television, I'm glad whenever any of us do well.
People think redheads don't belong on TV? WTF. :shock:
It's cooled off recently, but ever since the South Park episode in late 2005, anti-redhead violence has gone through the roof. In the 2006-07 school year, I spent so much time in the emergency room from concussions, broken ribs, etc, from people who thought it would be "cool" to upload mass beatings of a redhead onto the then-new website called Youtube. Being repeatedly slammed into trees, sidewalks, statues, and other hard surfaces by up to twelve people wasn't fun. It took many years to recover from all of the brain damage and infections caused by all of these beatings, and I recently found out that I'm likely going to get some kind of degenerative neurological disorder in the next few years, which is why I'm grateful for Andy Saunders's generosity of letting me be on Complete the List since I realize I probably don't have enough time left before I deteriorate to get onto J!. At least I'm still alive. Lots of murders of redheads go unsolved because the police don't seem to care.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:48 am
KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:27 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:21 am I'm just looking forward to what he'll do as a tribute to Cindy Stowell during the ToC. If he had to go, at least he lost to a redhead. Given how many people on twitter seem to believe that redheads don't belong on television, I'm glad whenever any of us do well.
People think redheads don't belong on TV? WTF. :shock:
It's cooled off recently, but ever since the South Park episode in late 2005, anti-redhead violence has gone through the roof. In the 2006-07 school year, I spent so much time in the emergency room from concussions, broken ribs, etc, from people who thought it would be "cool" to upload mass beatings of a redhead onto the then-new website called Youtube. Being repeatedly slammed into trees, sidewalks, statues, and other hard surfaces by up to twelve people wasn't fun. It took many years to recover from all of the brain damage and infections caused by all of these beatings, and I recently found out that I'm likely going to get some kind of degenerative neurological disorder in the next few years, which is why I'm grateful for Andy Saunders's generosity of letting me be on Complete the List since I realize I probably don't have enough time left before I deteriorate to get onto J!. At least I'm still alive. Lots of murders of redheads go unsolved because the police don't seem to care.
WTF???? Did you press criminal charges against any of your attackers?
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Thanks! He had mentioned, in the van on the way to the studio, that he had been on Cash Cab, but I couldn't find it.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The peninsula would have been a coin flip for me and I had no idea what the dude in the circle/square thing was called. I was also as clueless as his mom on the Catholic question. The rest I found as simple as some of his FJs.

I enjoyed watching him play the game. I was not a fan of his pre-game skits.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:47 pm I'm pretty sure Cash Cab had contestants who were on spontaneously but they also had trivia gurus who were selected to appear on the show.
You are correct about that (http://mentalfloss.com/article/23656/ca ... nts-speak). If you watch Austin, though, he kind of looks around the cab before the lights start flashing, like he knew that was going to happen. He did nail his questions. I got all of the same questions right (and missed the one he did as well).
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:24 am The peninsula would have been a coin flip for me and I had no idea what the dude in the circle/square thing was called.
I was familiar with the illustration; it's pretty well known (I think it was even a logo used on the characters' lab smocks in the TV show "Bones"). However, the only reason I knew it was called "Vitruvian Man" was because of "The DaVinci Code" -- I remember having a "huh, how about that" moment when it came up in the book.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Golf wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:04 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 pm Anybody who thinks Austin was rude or unsportsmanlike to his opponents needs to watch him give an enthusiastic high five to the victor in his final game. It is amazing how anybody who is different invokes such strong and at times ignorant opinions.
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:14 am Says the person openly disdainful of anyone who thought that Austin was "The One" at the start of his run.

Moreover, people's opinions often change over time and we can all see the same thing but perceive it differently. So, it's still funny to see the insistence that if everyone didn't love Austin's unique personality, they were wrong.
I fail to see where I commented on his personality, I commented about his class in defeat when others had been stating he was rude and unsportsmanlike during his run.

There was more information supporting Austin being "The One" than there was about Austin's sportsmanship, particularly if you're going to mock people for their assessments on Days 1-11 based on what Austin did in his final appearance.
radioinsomnia
Contributor

Post by radioinsomnia »

Having attended this week's tapings, it was a little weird knowing well in advance when Austin's run would come to an end. Johnny mentioned at the beginning of his warmup "We said goodbye to a 12-time champion yesterday..."