Friday, October 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Friday, October 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zerobandwidth »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:43 am
Volante wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 am Instafinal, Mongolia first. Even mimed writing it down before Alex finished speaking. Then mimed writing it -again- when I remembered I've been told the pen doesn't turn on until Alex finishes talking.
I heard that it is activated while Alex is talking, and some have even written then (a few of those have been mentioned by Alex at the time).

Zerobandwidth, as our most recent boardie to use said pen during Final, is that correct?
I wouldn't know; my brain didn't activate until 10 seconds into the music, and that was just to misfire. :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:08 pm I popped over to TheJeopardyFan earlier for the sweet, sweet spoilerz, and kind of chuckled when I saw the FJ clue--such a familiar type of question to me, for some reason. :lol: And I did come up with it pretty quickly. Got Mongolia first, by thinking "most of Asia's really dense, so what's not? Oh, Mongolia, it's huge and it's a desert...OK, then Monaco must be the other one, because it's tiny." Apparently I have a part of my brain devoted entirely to sussing out similar country names, right next to the part that's stuffed full of cheesy song lyrics. No wonder I never know where my keys are!
Ordinarily I don't do well with clues like this: look at two loooong lists of names/things and say what two have X in common. Or in this case, in what way are two of them opposite. It's hard to know where to jump into the lists. I think your way was a tougher one than mine: I thought of densely-populated (probably small) European countries, and the first one I thought of was Monaco. From there it was a very quick jump to the Gobi Desert.

If you didn't have some systematic way of approaching these lists of countries, or if it didn't just happen to jump out at you for some reason, I imagine you're pretty well screwed. Props to you and Austin (and me) for a tough get.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

POWER PLAYERS JEOPARDY

Alex: Of the 8 Presidents born west of the Mississippi River, the one born farthest west.
President Trump: Who is Nixon?
Alex: Ooh, sorry, the answer is Obama.
President Trump: He was born in Kenya! That's not west!
Alex: Judges? No, our judges say you're wrong.
President Trump: Sons of bitches so-called judges! Fake news!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

N.B. I have moved the posts related to trying to make sense with TPH to the topic designated for that purpose. Please try to keep that in mind when posting. There is no need to clutter up the daily thread.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:15 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:15 pm I couldn't turn "We didn't land on Plymouth Rock" into a chiasmus even though I know what one is.
Yeah, that was kind of odd. I got it because I knew the line. Chiasmus didn't help get me there at all and I also know what one is. I also knew Malcolm X didn't originate the line (unless he did some uncredited ghostwriting for Cole Porter when he was 8).
This was tricky because probably more are familiar with what Denzel Washington said in the movie - "Plymouth Rock landed on us" - than what Malcolm X actually said (at least in the clip I've seen), as in the clue, "Plymouth Rock was landed on us." That was threw me and I left out landed. I'm not sure if they would have accepted just on us.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:10 pm
NoWhammies10 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 pm No guess on FJ!. Couldn't get "Albania" out of my head.
It borders on the Adriatic. Mostly mountainous. Lots of chromium.

https://youtu.be/-F_tT-q8EF0
I was driving home last night behind the Albanian ambassador, and started singing this to myself. I did not serenade him with it, however.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 am
NoWhammies10 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 pm No guess on FJ!. Couldn't get "Albania" out of my head.

I was driving home last night behind the Albanian ambassador, and started singing this to myself. I did not serenade him with it, however.
A wise decision. He's probably tired of people doing that by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:51 am
alietr wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 am

A wise decision. He's probably tired of people doing that by now.
Actually, he was more like this: